Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Philosophy of Photography

Philosophy of Photography Taking pics is one thing, but understanding why we take them, what they mean, what they are best used for, how they effect our reality -- all of these and more are important issues of the Philosophy of Photography. One of the best authors on the subject is Susan Sontag in her book "On Photography."

Old 12-11-2012   #26
johnwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
... But the most important thing to read, is this little essay by Bill Jay on pages 31-39 of this issue of Lenswork:
http://www.lenswork.com/lw31e.pdf as kindly suggested by johnwolf on this forum.
How nice to see you mention this reference. I agree it's among the most important reads for any photographer. I'd suggest getting Jay's entire book, Negative/Positive: A Philosophy of Photography. It will likely deepen your work and your life.

John

Old 12-11-2012   #27
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
How nice to see you mention this reference. I agree it's among the most important reads for any photographer. I'd suggest getting Jay's entire book, Negative/Positive: A Philosophy of Photography. It will likely deepen your work and your life.

John
Thanks for that and I particularly like the final sentence

"In my opinion, no work of art can or should be separated from the personality of the artist and his life- attitude." Bill Jay

Old 12-11-2012   #28
johnwolf

One more suggestion, especially if you're into street photography and the street tradition: Tod Papageorge's Core Curriculum.

It's a collection of essays and speeches on Winogrand, Frank, Evans, HCB, and other major figures in this genre. Very rewarding.

John

Old 12-11-2012   #29
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
One more suggestion, especially if you're into street photography and the street tradition: Tod Papageorge's Core Curriculum.

It's a collection of essays and speeches on Winogrand, Frank, Evans, HCB, and other major figures in this genre. Very rewarding.

John
John yes thanks I am aware of Tods book. Great stuff.

Old 12-11-2012   #30
Ed Weatherly

If you want some short books on how to be a better photographer and how to be creative, David duChemin has formed a publishing company that primarily published ebooks on the subject. I have about 20 of them (they are generally short; about 40 pages+/-) and find them to be very helpful. As a bonus, they are very inexpensive.
http://craftandvision.com/

Hope you find this helpful.

Old 12-11-2012   #31
hellomikmik

Quote:
But the most important thing to read, is this little essay by Bill Jay on pages 31-39 of this issue of Lenswork:
http://www.lenswork.com/lw31e.pdf as kindly suggested by johnwolf on this forum.
Thanks for the link!

My suggestion: To you

Old 12-19-2012   #32
grandallj
Grainy

You might like Szarkowski's writing about Atget in the MoMA book. The images are, by and large, stunning, and Szarkowski has a short text accompanying each of the images. I think the images and text are a gripping and thought-provoking combination.

http://www.momastore.org/museum/moma...83_11487_15070

Leica, Nikon, Rolleiflex, Bronica, and/or Fuji X-Pro 1

Old 12-23-2012   #33
zvos1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbiter View Post
Interesting suggestions.

Love the "Tao of Photography." If you like that, you might also like "The practice of contemplative photography: seeing the world with fresh eyes" by Karr and Wood. It's a book I go back to again and again, and learn something new from it each time.
Just finished reading this book, I highly recommend it for a fresh approach to taking photos.

There is very little of technical stuff and plenty of teaching you how to "see".

M4 and some digital stuff

Old 12-23-2012   #34
rohankent

Quote:
But the most important thing to read, is this little essay by Bill Jay on pages 31-39 of this issue of Lenswork:
Thanks for this thought-provoking read. I'm a musician and could easily substitute the word music for photography in this essay and be challenged, as well as in my photography.

Old 12-24-2012   #35
lynnb

If you like The War of Art I can also recommend 101 Things to Learn in Art School by Kit White.
It's a small book with lots of useful ideas and tips on how to see.
Also, pretty much anything by Szarkowski.