Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Silver Efex is "abandonware" — the problem
Old 05-15-2017   #1
Nowhereman

Silver Efex is "abandonware" — the problem

Google states on the Nik Collection website, "We have no plans to update the Collection or add new features over time." So, Silver Efex, as part of the Nik Collection, is effectively abandonware. Eventually, Silver Efex will be unusable with new versions of operating systems and of Photoshop and Lightroom. This will be a problem for many of us who feel that Silver Efex produces a look that cannot be copied in PS or LR alone.

I wrote about this when I posted in another thread the picture below, which has a high-contrast look that I like. Indeed, I tried to see how close I could come to reproducing the look in LR alone: the closest I could come was by applying a VSCO Film preset [L - Ilford Delta 3200 -] as a staring point and then increasing Contrast and Clarity and changing the Tone Curve and Color Sliders (for color filter effects) — but the result was still far off from what Silver Efex does. The problem is that the tones remain too uniform and don't have the organic, rougher texture that Silver Efex produces. For example, inter alia, I cannot get the highlights into the wooden bar in the bottom left, or the texture into the highlights in the corner above the subject's head.

To achieve the look of the image below with PS or LR alone would require 20-30 separate masks — in LR using the Radial Filter. This is simply impractical. Impractical in terms of the time you would need, and also impractical because you wouldn't have the image below as a model of what you wanted to visualize.

In my view, other software, such as Tonality/MacPhun, also doesn't come close to what one can do with Silver Efex. My experience is that Silver Efex also produced better results when I used M-Monochrom files; and, ironically, also achieved better results with scanned or digitalized film files: after all, the second part of a "hybrid workflow" is digital.

So, when Silver Efex no longer works, quite a few people will have a problem in producing the type of B&W images that they like.

Leica M10 | Summaron f/5.6 28mm | ISO 3200 | f/5.6 | 1/45 sec

Silver Spring, MD

Old 05-15-2017   #2
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
.... This will be a problem for many of us who feel that Silver Efex produces a look that cannot be copied in PS or LR alone.
That is funny symmetry, because it's similar to something I once said about shooting film: Silver effects produce a look that cannot be copied in Photoshop.

I sympathise about the abandonware though. It happens to most things that are not part of the Adobe subscription empire though. I have dozens of stand-alone and add-on programs that no longer work.

Old 05-15-2017   #3
mani

I wrote this exact thing about the whole Nik Collection when Google released it 'free'. They were extremely smart about it though - the deafening roar of excitement from people thinking they were getting something for nothing, drowned out the few who saw the announcement for what it was: axing all support and development of the applications in the future - and made their objections sound like whiny children disappointed that their once-expensive toys were being handed-out to the plebs.

I personally don't use Silver Efex, but the retouch facility in Viveza builds multilayered and extremely complex masking in a fraction of a second, and allows for extremely subtle and creative work on an image in under a minute that would otherwise take hours of fussy and difficult selecting.

Google and their endless list of abandoned projects...

Old 05-16-2017   #4
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Chances are that if you decide not to update the operating system until you buy a new computer, you will buy a new computer nothing sooner or later anyway.

Stop updating now (only install safety updates and patches) and continue to work for a few years. When the operating system becomes truly obsolete, the machine probably is too. But you can still use it for Silver Efex and similar stuff until then, and beyond.

Personally, I don't mind having two machines to create my work with. I have two work spaces in a corner of the living room, one for the current Mac Mini set and one for the scan station with a old Mac G4 and SCSI scanner.

Old 05-16-2017   #5
KM-25

Quote:
So, when Silver Efex no longer works, quite a few people will have a problem in producing the type of B&W images that they like.
Anyone else see the irony in this when one considers just how easy it is to use the real thing?

Old 05-16-2017   #6
Nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
...Personally, I don't mind having two machines to create my work with. I have two work spaces in a corner of the living room, one for the current Mac Mini set and one for the scan station with a old Mac G4 and SCSI scanner.
Using two computers doesn't work for me: I move each year between North America, Europe and Asia.

Old 05-16-2017   #7
Nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
Anyone else see the irony in this when one considers just how easy it is to use the real thing?
Inevitable statement but, as I said, if you use a hybrid workflow the second part (scanning and printing) is digital and, again, processing with Silver Efex gives better results, depending on the look that you want, of course. Here are two digitalized Tri-X pictures that work much better after having been processed in Silver Efex:

Leica M3 | DR Summicron | Tri-X @ ISO 400 | Stand development in Rodinal

Chiang Mai

Leica M3 | DR Summicron | Yellow Filter | Tri-X @ ISO 400| D76

Wiang Pa Pao

Old 05-16-2017   #8
Freakscene
Deregistered user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
I am the first to say how much I love silver gelatin wet printed. But the time cost is much greater than digital, somewhere between many and most clients don't want to or can't wait, the financial cost of shooting is much higher with film (most people need a computer anyway), and I defy anyone to replicate the OPs shot at EI 3200 with film and have the shot be as grainless or with as much shadow contrast (not detail, contrast, it's different) as the example shot. You also need to scan film or prints to show the photos online, which takes even more time.

But most importantly, SilverEfex should not, and is not always about making digital images look like film - it is about optimising digital monochrome photos, including scanned film images.

If you want it you're just going to have to maintain an old system once it doesn't work anymore.

Marty

Old 05-16-2017   #9
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:

Leica M10 | Summaron f/5.6 28mm | ISO 3200 | f/5.6 | 1/45 sec

Silver Spring, MD

May the light be with you.

Old 05-16-2017   #10
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post

SilverEfex should not, and is not always about making digital images look like film - it is about optimising digital monochrome photos, including scanned film images.
+1 to this.

Old 05-16-2017   #11
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
I personally don't use Silver Efex, but the retouch facility in Viveza builds multilayered and extremely complex masking in a fraction of a second, and allows for extremely subtle and creative work on an image in under a minute that would otherwise take hours of fussy and difficult selecting.
Although I have had the Nik collection for some time, I admit to having ignored Viveza. I think I might have opened it perhaps once or twice, and then not bothered with it again... until now, that is. I investigated it more thoroughly after reading your post, and I'm impressed. Pleasingly subtle effects are possible.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it!

Old 05-16-2017   #12
willie_901

In my experience LR CC is a useful tool to render monochrome images from camera raw files and flat TIFF or DNG files from film scanners (I use VueScan). This was not the case for older versions of LR.

I too agree that SilverEfex Pro 2 is a powerful convenient tool. In my hands camera raw monochrome renderings usually don't see SilverEfex. I would never argue SiverEfex can create monochrome renderings that are impossible or, at best, extremely tedious to produce with LR.

My Photoshop skills are pathetic. This is due laziness. I can not bear to think and work as PS developers to want me think and work. For many decades I used scientific graphics software which often forced me to endure user-hostile interfaces and workflows. So my tolerance for software that make me miserable is unreasonably low.

For me, the NIK Collection is fun to use and produces excellent result. When the NIK Collection no longer works on OS X, I will be forced to either accept the best I can do with LR, explore other rendering options or muster the discipline to become proficient with PS. Despite my lack of direct experience, I suspect a seasoned PS expert could duplicate monochrome renderings that match those from NIK Collection. What I'm certain of is the amount of effort and time required for PS would be significantly greater than using the NIK Collection.

Perhaps years from now the Google will make it possible for a third party to port the NIK Collection to future operating systems. Perhaps they will encourage a third-party to implement a Chrome OS port.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-16-2017   #13
Larry Cloetta

My question, as posed yesterday before this became a second thread, was why did Google buy this in the first place, since it was obvious from day one that they had no intention of developing it further. I'd be curious to know the actual answer as opposed to the usual conjecture about corporations just being mean.
Being one of those who bought Efex Pro when it was expensive, and have used all the alternatives and found them both less effective, and less versatile, losing it eventually will be annoying. As others have said, it's not really a matter of just shooting film as the alternative, because that's not really the alternative. 95% of what I shoot is film, and it is a rare frame that can't be improved with Efex Pro (provided an above average quality scan is used as well.)

Old 05-16-2017   #14
johnwolf

Larry, Google supposedly bought Nik to acquire Snapseed for its mobile audience. It was thought to be a response to Facebook's acquisition of Instagram. All part of the plan to give Google greater appeal to mobile shooters.

If this is true, it's easy to understand the low priority given to Silver Efex. Google's typical audience certainly isn't concerned with ultimate BW quality.

It seems to me that we now have three options: 1) Don't implement upgrades that jeopardize Silver Efex, 2) Do more with PS and/or LR, or 3) Find another converter.

If and when the time comes, I'll face the music and go with number 3.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
My question, as posed yesterday before this became a second thread, was why did Google buy this in the first place, since it was obvious from day one that they had no intention of developing it further. I'd be curious to know the actual answer as opposed to the usual conjecture about corporations just being mean.
Being one of those who bought Efex Pro when it was expensive, and have used all the alternatives and found them both less effective, and less versatile, losing it eventually will be annoying. As others have said, it's not really a matter of just shooting film as the alternative, because that's not really the alternative. 95% of what I shoot is film, and it is a rare frame that can't be improved with Efex Pro (provided an above average quality scan is used as well.)

Old 05-16-2017   #15
Tejasican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Google, like Yahoo in particular the past few years, buys products for one aspect or technology either to use in some product or to package for sale, the rest being of no consequence. If there is a user base that is likely to squeal they take steps to minimize it, and if necessary lie and say the program will continue. Then they kill the product off when it is less likely to cause disruption. The company got what it was after, what should it care? It is, in essence, high tech corporate raiding. In the process some really good products and creative ideas fall by the wayside.

Old 05-16-2017   #16
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Using two computers doesn't work for me: I move each year between North America, Europe and Asia.
Move to Mac (if you haven't already) and you can boot from an external drive and run your old OS including Silver Efex. Problem solved.

That would require you to pack one extra hard drive in an external casing. I bet you can squeeze that in, or trade it for a single pair of trousers in your luggage

Old 05-16-2017   #17
Nowhereman

johannielscom - Thanks, I am on a Mac and this seems like a good solution. It would work as long as one hasn't upgraded the Mac to future version that could not run the "old" operating system on the hard drive — and that should be still some years in the future.

Old 05-16-2017   #18
Larry Cloetta

Thanks for the answers, it was the Snapspeed connection I was unaware of. Case solved.
Thanks.
Not sure how accurate my information is, but a few months ago, knowing that The Nik Collection was a dead end, I was encouraged to hear that the people behind Macphun Tonality were from the original Silver Efex development team.
Having since tried Tonality as a possible Efex Pro replacement, I found it somewhat disappointing in comparison, though perhaps there is hope for future development.

Old 05-16-2017   #19
View Range

You can use a virtual machine (such as VMWare Fusion) and don't even have to reboot. I love high structure in Silver Efex. I wish Adobe would produce similar tools with their monthly payments.

Old 05-16-2017   #20
Nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
...But most importantly, SilverEfex should not, and is not always about making digital images look like film - it is about optimising digital monochrome photos, including scanned film images...
This is an excellent statement on the usefulness of Silver Efex and, although someone above has already done so, it's worth highlighting again:

...SilverEfex should not, and is not always about making digital images look like film - it is about optimising digital monochrome photos, including scanned film images...

My own experience is that it took me some time to realize what could be done with Silver Efex: that is to say, for those who haven't yet used it, just trying it out superficially may not be enough to use use it effectively. BTW, one thing I found is that it works best if you first "flatten" the original color file into a low-contrast image before moving it into Silver Efex — particularly if you want create a high-contrast B&W image, such as the one in the OP.

Old 05-16-2017   #21
pechelman
resu deretsiger

Seeing the writing on the wall and simply disliking having to use another software package to get an image, I went through an exercise a year or so ago to try to create a LR preset that would mimic the same self created 3-preset workflow I'd do when using SEP2 with my m246 files. The ultimate realization on my end was that there are just certain things that LR cannot do that SEP2 does, specifically with regard to being able to change contrast within a certain tonal range. In Photoshop, this can probably be done, but like Willie above, I'm lazy and have almost non-existent PS skills. To me, the less time I spend behind the computer playing with a photo is a good thing, so I've never felt the urge to want to learn it more because I know it will result in more time spent where I dont want to spend it, even if I know my images will/may be better. Diminishing returns for me.

The thing I found most helpful to approach the SEP2 look I got were to do a few things;
-Keep global contrast (under the exposure) to a reasonable level, i.e. dont push it unless the image needs it.
-Use a little bit more clarity that I might normally, but still at lower levels (say below 30 and usually below 20...though m246 files are very tolerant of higher levels imo)
-Use ~+10-40 on the dehaze tool. To me, this was the biggest jump to get closer.

Of course, this also requires global adjustment to levels and the levels curve to suit your own taste. I would study what your levels and curves sliders look like in SEP2 and also study the SHAPE and overall Magnitude of the histograms from images that come out of SEP. Also of course adding grain, vignetting, and adjusting sharpening settings for the "final touches".

For me, I was able to develop my own LR preset that got to maybe ~70% of what I feel like I could do with SEP2. That last ~30% is probably just not attainable given what I feel like SEP2 is doing and the current features that LR has in place. While I may be "giving up" some ultimate image quality, I've gained a bunch more back in workflow efficiency, in terms of my working/waiting time, processing time to switch between programs/write extra files, not having to deal with obsolescence (assuming LR doenst die...), and of course disk space in not needing an intermediate file or another program (which isnt too important I know, but I still consider it). To me, that's a big win.

All of the above has been for monochrom files. For color m240 files, I work a bit differently.
Apply a preset I've developed using David Farkas' "M9 Simulation", white balance, do a quick global level adjustment as required, then apply a last preset that mimics a yellow filter. Generally, that's it and I'm happy with the results.

Old 05-16-2017   #22
Nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
You can use a virtual machine (such as VMWare Fusion) and don't even have to reboot. I love high structure in Silver Efex. I wish Adobe would produce similar tools with their monthly payments.
Another good suggestion. I assume that using VMWare Fusion, or other virtual machine software, would run less sluggishly than what I've experienced after booting a Mac from an external hard disk.

Old 05-16-2017   #23
Timmyjoe

I love Silver Efex, use it whenever I have a color digital image that I want to convert to B&W. But I still shoot Tri-X and Double-XX when I know ahead of time I want B&W images.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-16-2017   #24
Nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
This does look remarkably like film! I feel I can see grain, just at the threshold of visibility!
The "grain" from the M10 ISO 3200 file — i.e., none added by Silver Efex in this image — would be visible in a large print.

Old 05-16-2017   #25
mani

The original discussion about the anouncement still makes interesting reading:
http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=155156

As John Wolf said, Google were after Snapseed, and there was much discussion at the time that this purchase was going to rival Facebook's position with Instagram. Well... that never happened, of course.

The really sad part is that these really excellent and unique tools could have sustained a small company of developers and other employees - all of which was simply thrown on the trash-heap by Google.

I really find Viveza saves me hours of work on each image I post-process from film scans, so when I can no longer use it I'll have to fall back on time-consuming masking and selecting to achieve the same end result. Guess I'll have to keep a laptop with a legacy system installed, for as long as it lasts...

Old 05-16-2017   #26
Nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
...I was able to develop my own LR preset that got to maybe ~70% of what I feel like I could do with SEP2. That last ~30% is probably just not attainable given what I feel like SEP2 is doing...To me, that's a big win...
Reminds me of a Japanese friend who came to Washington for a week some years ago. I invited him to dinner and, a few days later, he invited me and said he wanted to have sushi. I told him that there were two good choices, one was a sushi bar in Virginia that had 95% of the quality at ⅓rd of the cost of the best sushi bar in DC. He said, "Let's go the the expensive one because for sushi it's the last 5% that makes the difference."

And, I feel, so it is with B&W processing and printing — it's the last 5% that counts.

Old 05-16-2017   #27
pechelman
resu deretsiger

Certainly the drive for perfection is a Japanese cultural trait. I guess I'm just a lazy American in my satisfaction of what I deem "good enough" for my purposes. Still, there is nothing to say I dont use SEP2 when I want to work on ONE image at a time, but as a tool to work through multiple files, as I just recently did coming back from a 3 week trip, not in a million years...

Good luck in your quest for that final 5% with the abandonware problem. I'm interested to see what you might come up with and will follow this discussion.

Old 05-16-2017   #28
maggieo
More Deadly

As Mitch can attest, the two of us have been chasing the best way to bring B&W into the digital world for a long time.

Mitch, remember when we would overlay specific grain patterns in PS, to deal with noise and to increase acutance in M8 files?

Silver Efex Pro, like most digital tools, starts out decently enough with presets, and then becomes the closest thing to being in the darkroom again, once you fully understand the tools at your disposal.

I have friends in the music industry who refuse to update their computers that are running versions of ProTools that they've mastered. I reckon that SEFX may, as others have said here, lead many of us to follow suit.

I mean, just look at the images. Why let go of the tool that made them possible?

One Does Not Simply Photograph Mordor, October 05, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

The Merry-Go-Round, April 06, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Dancers, Havana, February 16, 2017 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Self Portrait, Summer, 2010 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

A Man And His Dog, Beijing, May 17, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Goose And Duck, Lambertville, NJ, May 01, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Mount Fuji, May 14, 2016 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Bonnie At The Creek, Craig, NE, 1986 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Lara, I-70, June, 1989 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Amy And Jessie, June 10, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

MCB And The Con Air Fairchild Provider, Wendover Field, Wendover, UT, July 21, 2014 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Inconsolable, Paris, September 29, 2007 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

That SEFXP loves Leica & Ricoh sensors and scanned film of all kinds, pretty much wed me for life to it.

Old 05-16-2017   #29
rscheffler

Quote:
johannielscom - Thanks, I am on a Mac and this seems like a good solution. It would work as long as one hasn't upgraded the Mac to future version that could not run the "old" operating system on the hard drive — and that should be still some years in the future.
That's kind of the problem I have by insisting to maintain Adobe CS2. A while back Adobe shut down the CS2 authentication servers, meaning it was essentially a 'free' product, but without support. And for my PS needs (I do most work in a current version of LR), CS2 works fine. But it will only run on OSX 10.6.8 or older and new Apple computers as of a few or so years ago no longer support 10.6.8, so I use a circa 2010 iMac for this... But it's starting to act flaky and imagine it will only continue for so long. I could replace it with another unit of a similar vintage, but instead I'm looking at current PS alternatives such as Affinity.

I suspect you'll eventually run into this problem, too. Considering SEP still works with current OS software/hardware, my guess is you have probably ~5 years to figure out a solution.

Just keep an eye on major hardware or software changes by Apple. IIRC, the reason CS2 only runs up to 10.6.8 is Rosetta, which was required to run PowerPC software on Intel Macs. For whatever reason (probably complexity of legacy support), Apple dropped Rosetta and thus the ability to run apps written for PowerPC hardware. If Apple continues OSX development towards an eventual iOS merger, it could result in similar loss of legacy support.

Old 05-16-2017   #30
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Try Topaz BW Effects. I have used it for years with great results for converting color digital to black & white. Its cheap, only about $60 and its still being supported and developed.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Buy My Prints in RFF Classifieds

Support My Work on Patreon

Old 05-16-2017   #31
Godfrey
somewhat colored

"Silver Efex is 'abandonware'"

It is for reasons like this that I have always preferred to use only the basic tools provided by whatever image processing system I am using and develop my OWN techniques and look for monochrome rendering of my photographs.

To use other folks' 'black box' solutions is to give up the most important part of doing your own image processing, IMO: control of your results.

G

Old 05-16-2017   #32
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
To use other folks' 'black box' solutions is to give up the most important part of doing your own image processing, IMO: control of your results.

G
I think you've misunderstood the nature of SEFXP and all of Nik Software's tools. If anything, they give you greater control of your image processing.

Old 05-16-2017   #33
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Google states on the Nik Collection website, "We have no plans to update the Collection or add new features over time." So, Silver Efex, as part of the Nik Collection, is effectively abandonware. Eventually, Silver Efex will be unusable with new versions of operating systems and of Photoshop and Lightroom. This will be a problem for many of us
I can still run Photoshop 3.5 (from around 1995) on Win10, so the notion that the sky is falling may be a bit exaggerated...

Arguably Photoshop 3.5 has ceased to run on Macs - not for OS reasons, but because they don't emulate the M68k any more, having twice switched hardware platforms since then. If you require long time compatibility, you might have to preserve a extra computer with the last supported OS version, once it drops out of compatibility - that is what I did for all expensive computer controlled devices (like scanners or scanning LF backs) that rely on obsolete computer hardware (ISA cards, SCSI and so on).

Old 05-16-2017   #34
Kent
Finally at home...

Despite having installed (via CC) the latest version of Photoshop, I mainly use the 2014 version due to compatibility and even more performance reasons. So, the death of Silver Efex has been postponed a little on my machine.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtlδnder, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 05-16-2017   #35
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I've often thought about the many problems created by the planned obsolescence built into all of our digital lives. Up till now, I've always gone along with the crowd and upgraded computers and software, and when absolutely necessary, switched over (painfully) to new software. I'm currently clutching onto Aperture and Nik software, but recently bought Lightroom and am trying to teach myself how to use it (I'm terrified about the idea of possibly losing my Aperture library system!).

But I often think about the idea of dedicating a machine and software to photography... disconnected from the web. And having a separate laptop for connections to the outside world. It seems like this could extend the life of my existing system of cataloging and processing photos, at least as long as the existing hardware continues to operate.

Old 05-16-2017   #36
fdarnell

It's a FREE software that you want them to spend money on labor for programming to continue to support the ongoing development of operating systems. With no revenue?

How many here would photograph a wedding for free since it will "give more exposure to your portfolio?" Or more accurately, "Take my portrait, give me a nice 11 x 14 print, every year for the rest of my life for free!"

I'm ok with abandonware, and I'll keep old systems to run it if I really want to.

Old 05-16-2017   #37
fdarnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
...But I often think about the idea of dedicating a machine and software to photography... disconnected from the web. And having a separate laptop for connections to the outside world. It seems like this could extend the life of my existing system of cataloging and processing photos, at least as long as the existing hardware continues to operate.
Every time Apple introduces a new OS with the flat look, i want to go BACKWARDS a version. Before long I'll be typing on a Mac Plus using a floppy!

At least no ransom ware! And probably just as fast with the old MacWrite, which is also abandonware.

Only thing really demanding all this computing horsepower is the rendering of more and more complex web pages that have more and more secretive background tracking applications that submit more and more data to places that should not have it.

Kind of a pleasure to use the older Macs with more elegant interface, disconnect from the globalist internet.

Old 05-16-2017   #38
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
I think you've misunderstood the nature of SEFXP and all of Nik Software's tools. If anything, they give you greater control of your image processing.
I agree with Maggie on this one. SE was a set of tools just like LR or any other image processor.
This set of tools was focused on bringing monochrome to a photographers vision.
I can't think of any single occasion where I used one of the SE default filters.

Old 05-16-2017   #39
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdarnell View Post
It's a FREE software that you want them to spend money on labor for programming to continue to support the ongoing development of operating systems. With no revenue?
I don't think any of those here who like the software, and can't find an equal replacement, are asking for, or expecting this. At least I didn't hear anyone asking for a this.
I would imagine that those of us who feel that way would gladly pay for enough of an update to allow the software to keep functioning as PS, LR, and operating systems change. Not really even any need to 'improve' the software as it is fine as it is. The necessary coding to do that would not be particularly time consuming, and Google has some coders over there, I think.
Besides that, as a personal aside, I paid $499 for the NIK suite well before Google had it's eye on it.
So, yes, I don't feel too unreasonable asking for a couple of moonlighters at Google to spend a couple of evenings writing patches to the code, then selling updates to the software, at a profit, to those of us who would be happy to pay for it. I also understand that isn't going to happen. C'est la vie.

Old 05-16-2017   #40
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
IF... you dig into the software and don't use canned results. I've known a few that rely on the presets to make up for the fact that they don't know enough (don't WANT to know enough) about post processing.