Old 06-14-2017   #81
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Another possibility for handheld 70mm is the Sinar Handy:

LX3L7044 by Andrei Badoiu, on Flickr

This one gets my knees jerking. I own the Norma cone with 65mm f8 Super Angulon helical so I could build this very camera. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #82
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
UPDATE: I got the rare Linhof 645 CINE from Germany. Came with a pair of Linhof cassette bodies, but no spools.

I loaded and tested it. First off it seems the mask is not removable without taking off the Graftek flange which I will do later today at work, but the good news is that the shell will allow me to use the darkslide slot to make a removable mask. Also know that the 4x5 and circular 2x3 Graftek back plates both use ALL the same screw locations so they kinda are modular.

So in loading the 645 CINE the first thing that is noticed is the shorter throw of the film advance. I takes 5 strokes to advance to "1" on the film counter instead of only three strokes on a 6x7 CINE.

The next thing is I learned the frame counter alternates; one stroke will advance the counter; but the next stroke will skip advancing the counter; so it really takes two strokes to increase the counter by one increment. Know there is a second window that shows and indicates that the film is positively advancing.

The huge surprise is that I get 60 plus counts on the 645 CINE, meaning I get 120 plus 645 exposures on 15 feet of film.

The end game her is to have a common shell with the circular 2x3 Graftek backing plate and use a 645 mask using the darkslide slot that can easily be removed. I can then utilize a 6x7 CINE insert that comes from a 4x5 6x7 CINE without the mask for 6x7 format; but I can also use the 645 insert with mask in the same 2x3 Graftek shell.

Also know the added weight of a CINE counters an otherwise front heavy Linhof. This camera would be great to shoot the Gay Pride Parade, the Halloween Parade, or the Mermaid Parade.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #83
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
I'm also making some 70mm progress. I located another A70 magazine, it is already loaded with Agfa Aviphot 200 B&W. And I been test shooting a short end of original Plus-X from 1981, which I loaded last weekend. As I continue cleaning and reorganizing the studio, I will find more of this stuff. I want to load another A70 with 15' of WL Surveillance, to keep going with that. And I have a fresh roll of Efke R100 unperforated I bought at a closeout from J&B, which I can run through another A70 with the rubber adapter wheel. Things are progressing...........

DSC05794 by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #84
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Dan,

The Sinar Handy posted above looks mighty small.

Do 15 foot rolls sometimes come spooled? Also are the spools "generic" so that I could use generic spools in my Linhof cassettes that came vacant?

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #85
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
I will show you Guys how to easily develop 15' of 70mm in a home darkroom, very shortly. It is not difficult.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #86
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Dan,

The Sinar Handy posted above looks mighty small.

Cal

It needs a Sinar Norma PistolGrip screwed into into the bottom of it, with cable release. He has the correct Sinar mounting clamp attached. Lots of drilling and tapping and filing
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #87
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Do 15 foot rolls sometimes come spooled? Also are the spools "generic" so that I could use generic spools in my Linhof cassettes that came vacant? Cal
Yes you can cannibalize preloaded 15' factory rolls. The spools are Kodak and generic.


Save everything for the future. Never know about these bits a pieces
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #88
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Yes you can cannibalize preloaded 15' factory rolls. The spools are Kodak and generic.


Save everything for the future. Never know about these bits a pieces
Dan,

Thanks for the response.

As far as saving things for the future: my Private Linhof Consultant is going to drop off some Cine's that don't work as parts and donors. Now I'm thinking that I have this TOPCON bulk loader that I bought from KEH for $25.00 that originally was made for spooling 250 exposure cassettes.

Yesterday I figured out that 100 exposures is about 8 inches shy of 15 feet of perferated 135 on the TOPCON. The mechanism meters out the length for 100 exposures and than stops, and I figure I might be able to adopt this loader to spool 70mm. Already it is useful to meter out film into lengths in a changing bag. My way has the benefit of not having the wear and tear on the cassette felts and would be easy and speedy if I cam spool the film without the cassette body.

The donor Cine's offers a supply of parts. I'll have a single perf shaft and a double perf shaft. Also my Linhof Consultant can 3-D print parts. I might be able to make a bulk loader our of Linhof parts.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #89
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Hey Cal/All,

Look what I cobbled together from a few Norma parts from down in the studio. The Norma Sinar Handy. I may run with this. Would need a bottom mount and Norma pistol grip, Mamiya Universal Viewfinder (or Sinar Handy one) plus 65mm F8 Schneider Super Angulon. Extremely light in weight!

Norma Sinar Handy by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2017   #90
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
And of course, Linhof had the "Technar". Same idea as Sinar Handy.

Linhof Technar + Super Angulon 65mm + Finder+ 6x12 Techno Rolex 2 by Sinar Flickr, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2017   #91
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Here I have scanned a 70mm negative with my Epson 4490. Nothing great, but I can get this to work. Hartblei 1006 with Hasselblad A70 magazine, Norman 200B flash, Zeiss 120mm Biogon (pentacon Six) lens, Kodak WL Surveillance film, developed in ADOX Borax MQ developer. which I mix myself.

-- This is from my first test roll of 70mm


WL Surveillance 70mm Hartblei 1006 120 Biogon ADOX Borax by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here are the negs. I selected the roll on the right, the second frame down in the most left hand row. Shadow detail looks good in this one.
The roll on the left, might not be WL Surveillance. It might be Plus-X Aerographic 2402, maybe? It was shot years ago, and I'm not sure.
But the base color is different from the roll on the right, which I'm sure is definately WL Surveillance.

DSC05743 by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017   #92
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Dan,

I removed the 645 mask and will have to create a 645 mask that will utilize the dark slide slot. This allows me to have either 60 exposure plus 6x7 by using one CINE insert, or 120 plus exposures 645.

Note that the Linhof frame spacing is tight.

The two donor CINE's from my Private Linhof Consultant were broken down for parts. I learned a lot about the engineering and design. Both of these were not working: one was jammed and suffered water damage (likely submerged); the other had been modified and was not restorable.

The shafts with 70mm film sprokets will be useful for adapting the 35mm Topcon 250 exposre bulk loader mentioned above. Seems relatively easy to keep the Topcon bulk respoooler for dual use between 135 and 70mm. I opened the Topcon up, and it took an afternoon to figure out how to reassemble a get to work correctly again. I fully explored what I can and cannot do.

This is all part of a bigger project to respool 135 Kodak 5222 from 800 foot rolls.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017   #93
stawastawa
Registered User
 
stawastawa is offline
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I have been told that there is a "pawl" inside which can wear down, but other than that, these Cine Rollex backs can last forever.
What is a Pawl?
Cal did you find out while taking yours cines apart?

---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
One of my Makiflexes with the Linhof 70mm Cine Rollex I acquired for $50. Had to do a leather job on it. Twas peelin'
Would love to have some information on leather replacement, I have a few that need some help. I imagine there is info out there, and would appreciate if you could point some out that you recommend.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
.
..
The two donor CINE's from my Private Linhof Consultant were broken down for parts. I learned a lot about the engineering and design. Both of these were not working: one was jammed and suffered water damage (likely submerged); the other had been modified and was not restorable.
...
Cal
cal, would be great to follow along with some pictures of what you are opening up and discovering.

~nicholas
__________________
~nicholas
lifeofstawa
stawastawa at gmail
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017   #94
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by stawastawa View Post
What is a Pawl?
Cal did you find out while taking yours cines apart?

---


Would love to have some information on leather replacement, I have a few that need some help. I imagine there is info out there, and would appreciate if you could point some out that you recommend.

---



cal, would be great to follow along with some pictures of what you are opening up and discovering.

~nicholas
Nicholas,

1. I think what Dan calls a "pawl" is the thing that catches the lever allowing it to only "racket" in one direction. Linhof is really clear in the instructions not to "dual-stroke" of force the lever in the reverse direction before completing the forward stroke. I can see how this would be the weak point and how this pawl would be the place of breakage, but in opening up a Cine I can say the build quality is robust.

2. If you need some Linhof OEM leatherette in either black or tan just send me the dimentions required and I can see if I have enough material from what I removed from the black and tan Cine's. My friend Christian suggests using masking tape to make a pattern. If I can help you out I will gift you what you need. The large patch that covers the door of the shell is pretty big, but if I have smaller pieces that would work I would like to save the bigger pieces. Also I found this ultra thin heavy tack double sided tape that I deem better than any contact cement. Only available in a narrow roll of 1/2 inch, but this stuff is the best ever.

3. I tend to annoy people with my ways. I am a self proclaimed "Lazy Slacker" and one of the many things I do to annoy people is I don't post. Another thing I don't do is text, and basically I'm only online at work at my boring day job. If you needed any small Linhof screws, a pawl or any small parts I basically saved them to help myself and others.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017   #95
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Yes it's been described to me as a curved "thingee" with a hook on the end, which engages the big sprocket. As long as the pawl is not badly worn, you are good to go.

Another good source for leather would be www.cameraleather.com

I've sent exotic photo things to Morgan Sparks and he's even done the covering for me.

He's a good guy but very busy and I think this garage business is a sideline for him.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017   #97
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq
 
philipus's Avatar
 
philipus is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: '(,,,,)°l°
Posts: 1,019
I have a few Portra 160NC which I was thinking of shooting in my Hasselblad. I can source a 70 mag easily enough but I guess I need one of those rare-as-hens'-teeth Alden 70s to load?
__________________
philipus.com

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017   #98
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 1,540
This thread haas been an eye opener!
I love the mega blad back, huge. The smaller back looks really cool and practical though.
And the film! I know 15x50' of film is a lot, but I just can't imagine buying almost $3k of film in one hit, you'd have to be dedicated!
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017   #99
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipus View Post
I have a few Portra 160NC which I was thinking of shooting in my Hasselblad. I can source a 70 mag easily enough but I guess I need one of those rare-as-hens'-teeth Alden 70s to load?
Some people prefer using the loader. I had one for a while, but I find I prefer to load the cartridges by hand. I have a large formica table in my darkroom that I use for film loading. If I was using a changing bag, I might go back to using the loader.

I generally load 35mm bulk film the same way.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017   #100
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Some people prefer using the loader. I had one for a while, but I find I prefer to load the cartridges by hand. I have a large formica table in my darkroom that I use for film loading. If I was using a changing bag, I might go back to using the loader.

I generally load 35mm bulk film the same way.
Dan,

This Topcon "Spooler" for loading 35mm 250 exposure reels seems readily adoptable for 70mm spooling in a changing bag. I bought it for $25.00 from KEH a wile back originally thinking I could use it for Kodak 5222 in 400 foot rolls to respool into smaller rolls for daylight loading using a bulk loader.

There is a dial that stops the crank when the number of exposure setting is met and there are 50, 100, 185, 200, and 250 exposures. There is ample gear multiplication so that three turns of the crank spools precisely one foot of film. The 100 exposure setting spools 14 1/2 feet for 70mm, and 250 exposures I figure provides 36.25 feet in a short roll. If I lift this arm that maintains the film in the sproket the counter resets so I can increment and add to the first 36.5 feet with another 36.5 feet, and possibly will be able to add a third dose to have just over 100 feet (108.75 feet). For 135 all I have to do is create a holder for the 400 feet of film that will maintain the oversized feed roll in a vertical position.

I think I can easily adapt this respooler for 70mm use, especially since I have extra sproketed roller from dissassembled Linhof CINE's. The huge advantages with respooling verses using a daylight bulk loader are, lesss likely to scratch film, and less wear and tare on the felts.

Without any mods BTW I can use the Topcon respooler to meter off 14.5 feet of film.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017   #101
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
BEST DEAL FOR FRESH 70MM

The 70mm Rollei 400S shows great promise. By my calculations $98.08US buys you 100.07 ft of fresh 70mm film. Plus shipping from Germany.
It is available here: https://www.macodirect.de/en/film/in...s-70mm-x-30.5m

There is a Flikr Rollei 400S user group here: https:[email protected]/

Orranäsasjön Infrarot Hasselblad by CourtLux, on Flickr

Solitary Tree by Lars Holte, on Flickr

Hania by Krzysztof Poleszak, on Flickr
Dan,

I figure about 4 feet of film is the equiv of a roll of 120. At less than $2.50 a roll of 120 equiv it is very cost feasible to love shooting or learning to shoot an IR film.

All of the sudden I'm able to shoot again when I could buy Arista Premium (repackaged Tri-X) for $2.89 a roll, and close dated Arista Pro (rebranded Acros) for $1.89 a roll except I shooting medium format.

Pretty much a no brainer to me. Bonus is that it is fresh film, and 200 ISO bodes well for cameras with leaf shutters.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017   #102
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Dan,

This Topcon "Spooler" for loading 35mm 250 exposure reels seems readily adoptable for 70mm spooling in a changing bag. I bought it for $25.00 from KEH a wile back originally thinking I could use it for Kodak 5222 in 400 foot rolls to respool into smaller rolls for daylight loading using a bulk loader.

There is a dial that stops the crank when the number of exposure setting is met and there are 50, 100, 185, 200, and 250 exposures. There is ample gear multiplication so that three turns of the crank spools precisely one foot of film. The 100 exposure setting spools 14 1/2 feet for 70mm, and 250 exposures I figure provides 36.25 feet in a short roll. If I lift this arm that maintains the film in the sproket the counter resets so I can increment and add to the first 36.5 feet with another 36.5 feet, and possibly will be able to add a third dose to have just over 100 feet (108.75 feet). For 135 all I have to do is create a holder for the 400 feet of film that will maintain the oversized feed roll in a vertical position.

I think I can easily adapt this respooler for 70mm use, especially since I have extra sproketed roller from dissassembled Linhof CINE's. The huge advantages with respooling verses using a daylight bulk loader are, lesss likely to scratch film, and less wear and tare on the felts.

Without any mods BTW I can use the Topcon respooler to meter off 14.5 feet of film.

Cal

When you get that set up for 70mm, will you shoot a digiphoto and post it here Please??

I have a Minolta XK Motor 250 bulk loader I might be able to adapt. Hmmmmm Also from KEH
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2017   #103
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
This thread haas been an eye opener!
I love the mega blad back, huge. The smaller back looks really cool and practical though.And the film! I know 15x50' of film is a lot, but I just can't imagine buying almost $3k of film in one hit, you'd have to be dedicated!
Hey

Thanks for your comments!

On some forums users have pooled together to get the minimum order from Ilford. Then they split it up amongst themselves.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017   #104
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Efke used to offer their R100 film in 30.5 meter rolls of unperforated 70mm. I grabbed a roll from J&C Photo when they were closing it out. It's fresh and has been frozen since purchase. Freestyle and B&H also had it.

See Here:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/191170...rforated-(Past

I can use this film in my Hasselblad A70 (I have one A70 with the rubber adapter wheel installed), or in my Beatty Coleman Transet 6x8cm 70mm back, which I will use on my Plaubel Makiflexes and Sinar Normas.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017   #105
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Here I have attached the "rubber wheel" inside the Hasselblad A70 70mm film magazine, so I can pull unperforated Efke R100 film through the camera.

DSC05801 by Nokton48, on Flickr

One thing I have recently learned, is to thoroughly label everything! Recently I opened a 70mm cassette, thinking it was empty, and exposed the roll. It was from years ago, but you know, some of this 70mm film stock does not weigh all that much. I really thought by shaking it that the cartridge was empty. Now I am going to tape them closed as I load the film and load the cameras.

DSC05802 by Nokton48, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #106
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Dan,

I figure about 4 feet of film is the equiv of a roll of 120. At less than $2.50 a roll of 120 equiv it is very cost feasible to love shooting or learning to shoot an IR film.

All of the sudden I'm able to shoot again when I could buy Arista Premium (repackaged Tri-X) for $2.89 a roll, and close dated Arista Pro (rebranded Acros) for $1.89 a roll except I shooting medium format.

Pretty much a no brainer to me. Bonus is that it is fresh film, and 200 ISO bodes well for cameras with leaf shutters.

Cal
Dan,

I physically measured my 120 test roll that I use for exercising my 120 cameras. A roll of 120 is only 32 1/2 inches long and the Rollie 400S at $98.00 you reported above brings back the good old days of cheap film where I figure a roll of 120 equiv costs $2.66.

I shot mucho Acros in 120 when it was sold at Adorama for $3.69 a roll.

The 400S is a kinda "make it work" moment for me that brings back the old days when film was mucho cheaper. In fact how did shooting 6x7 and 645 become less expensive than 135 on a per roll basis?

This is a dream come true. It pays to be a retro-slob. LOL.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #107
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
They should deduct VAT (value added tax) because you are in the USA. So it will be even a bit cheaper. Around 15% approx
I wonder how much they have in stock? I just finished my short roll of 70mm 1981 Plus-X.

I think I will test develop it in my favorite straight Legacy Mic-X

I bracketed at EI 100, EI 50, and EI 25. Should work ok
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #108
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
They should deduct VAT (value added tax) because you are in the USA. So it will be even a bit cheaper. Around 15% approx
I wonder how much they have in stock? I just finished my short roll of 70mm 1981 Plus-X.

I think I will test develop it in my favorite straight Legacy Mic-X

I bracketed at EI 100, EI 50, and EI 25. Should work ok
Dan,

I forgot to mention the value added of a likely extra frame. The extra head and tail I trim off a roll of 120 I think will give me an extra frame for free, so I believe I will get 11 frames of 6x7 instead of 10, or 10% "value added."

My understanding of B&H and this other big film dealer that utilize the Ilford ULF program is that they will take pre-orders in the spring, Ilford will manufacture over the summer, and film will be shipped in the fall.

I tried to place an order, but I missed the deadline. Oh-well. So I have to pre-order before the end of May 2018 for the next cycle. The cost is more at B&H, but at this other dealer the lower price was $168 for a 50 foot double perf roll. Not cheap, but one could shoot a medium format like a Leica.

As far as I know these bigger dealers place large enough orders to supply us smaller fish.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #109
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
When you get that set up for 70mm, will you shoot a digiphoto and post it here Please??

I have a Minolta XK Motor 250 bulk loader I might be able to adapt. Hmmmmm Also from KEH
Dan,

Will do. I'll get my Linhof Consultant to teach me how to post. Remember I'm a lazy slacker. LOL.

After I build my respooler, know that I'll still have a spare pair of 70mm sproketed spindles from the donor CINE's I disassembled.

I hope to mod some 135 spools that I will use as an interface to adopt the Topcon feed and take-up shafts to 70mm sproketed spindles. Not hard. My intent is to use the half the 135 double sproketed feed/counter, meaning one sproket to count the footage. Basically I'm just extending the feed and take-up shafts by adding the Linhof CINE shafts with sprokets.

I can gift you the extra set of Linhof CINE shafts one I get mine respooler going.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #110
Jake Mongey
Registered User
 
Jake Mongey's Avatar
 
Jake Mongey is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 17
Posts: 384
This is by far my favorite thread ATM. Is there any way of obtaining a roller for uperf film in the a70 nowadays? Ive just got a distinction in my first year of college and my family are offering me a reward and im wondering if I can still get one of these in order to run unperf portra though the hassy eventually.
__________________
Should probably spend less time talking more time shooting but unfortunately I dont have to leave my desk to talk
www.jmongeyphoto.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #111
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is online now
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 59
Posts: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mongey View Post
This is by far my favorite thread ATM. Is there any way of obtaining a roller for uperf film in the a70 nowadays? Ive just got a distinction in my first year of college and my family are offering me a reward and im wondering if I can still get one of these in order to run unperf portra though the hassy eventually.
Jake,

Congrates for the recognition.

As far as the Hassy rollers that are discontinued and no longer available, I have to consult with a friend who 3-D prints and is a bit like me: meaning both a bit crazy, where crazy is a good thing, and is also a photographer.

An example of his work is a "Rose" the flower like plastic retainer that is on a Leica M baseplate that meshes into the three fingered prongs to advance the film.

He gave me a clone of a "Rose" he 3-D printed, and I mounted it on my Wetzlar M6 that I kinda heavily use with a TA Rapidwinder. Been using it for a few years. With a TA Rapidwinder you are suppose to transfere the Rose from your baseplate, but because I'm a lazy slacker Christian just 3-D printed me one.

From Dan's posts I see is a pulley like assembly that uses an O-ring that replaces sprokets. For color shooting not requiring double perf allows shooting 70mm color films.

My friend is an architect and knows CAD, and he has some place that owns and runs the 3-D printers. I wouldn't mind a set myself.

Mark Cuban once said, "Go big or don't go." Creative people are problem solvers and are kinda project oriented. Now I have to be a salesman and convince my friend it is a great idea to make a new project.

I was talking about creating a bulk loader that could handle 800 foot rolls of Kodak 5222, but the response was that the cost would not be cheap because of size. Laser cut acrylic was deemed too much static electricity and would be a dirt magnet, and MDF too hydroscopic, but these pulleys made of plastic instead of aluminum... Hmmmm.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #112
Jake Mongey
Registered User
 
Jake Mongey's Avatar
 
Jake Mongey is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 17
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Jake,

Congrates for the recognition.

As far as the Hassy rollers that are discontinued and no longer available, I have to consult with a friend who 3-D prints and is a bit like me: meaning both a bit crazy, where crazy is a good thing, and is also a photographer.

An example of his work is a "Rose" the flower like plastic retainer that is on a Leica M baseplate that meshes into the three fingered prongs to advance the film.

He gave me a clone of a "Rose" he 3-D printed, and I mounted it on my Wetzlar M6 that I kinda heavily use with a TA Rapidwinder. Been using it for a few years. With a TA Rapidwinder you are suppose to transfere the Rose from your baseplate, but because I'm a lazy slacker Christian just 3-D printed me one.

From Dan's posts I see is a pulley like assembly that uses an O-ring that replaces sprokets. For color shooting not requiring double perf allows shooting 70mm color films.

My friend is an architect and knows CAD, and he has some place that owns and runs the 3-D printers. I wouldn't mind a set myself.

Mark Cuban once said, "Go big or don't go." Creative people are problem solvers and are kinda project oriented. Now I have to be a salesman and convince my friend it is a great idea to make a new project.

I was talking about creating a bulk loader that could handle 800 foot rolls of Kodak 5222, but the response was that the cost would not be cheap because of size. Laser cut acrylic was deemed too much static electricity and would be a dirt magnet, and MDF too hydroscopic, but these pulleys made of plastic instead of aluminum... Hmmmm.

Cal
Thank you! I just need to survive the second year now!
If we could make it happen I would sure as hell get one! I mean as for measurements, if the OP would be kind enough to provide some form of measurements of the product it could potentially give the idea more ground to stand on? However, I know near nothing about CAD/CAM other than my experiences at school occasionally sending some questionable drawings down to the lazer engraver to annoy the technician
__________________
Should probably spend less time talking more time shooting but unfortunately I dont have to leave my desk to talk
www.jmongeyphoto.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #113
Stefan Wood
Registered User
 
Stefan Wood is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 83
Just received an email from FilmPhotographyProject.com stating that they are considering buying 70mm bulk films from Kodak. Mainly for the purpose for reconstituting old 116 or 616 rolls cameras, but why not just roll em for your 70mm cartridges?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #114
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mongey View Post
Thank you! I just need to survive the second year now!
If we could make it happen I would sure as hell get one! I mean as for measurements, if the OP would be kind enough to provide some form of measurements of the product it could potentially give the idea more ground to stand on? However, I know near nothing about CAD/CAM other than my experiences at school occasionally sending some questionable drawings down to the lazer engraver to annoy the technician
Yes Jake I can take the wheel apart, and shoot some more pictures and make some careful measurements.

There was a guy over at the Kiev Delphiforum who ground down the original sprocket, and attached rubber gluing around it around thje ground-down sprocket.. Don't know how difficult that would be to do. Might require some trial and error to get it right.

The rubber O-ring most likely would be easy to source.

-Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #115
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Wood View Post
Just received an email from FilmPhotographyProject.com stating that they are considering buying 70mm bulk films from Kodak. Mainly for the purpose for reconstituting old 116 or 617 rolls cameras, but why not just roll em for your 70mm cartridges?
I'd be interested. 70mm Film for converting to 116 most likely would NOT be type-II perforated. So you would need a 70mm Graflex back to use it on a 4x5 camera with Graflock. Or the Beatty Coleman Transet. Or the Hasselblad A70 modified with the rubber wheel (you exchange the sprocket; takes two minutes to change it out).
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #116
Jake Mongey
Registered User
 
Jake Mongey's Avatar
 
Jake Mongey is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 17
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Yes Jake I can take the wheel apart, and shoot some more pictures and make some careful measurements.

There was a guy over at the Kiev Delphiforum who ground down the original sprocket, and attached rubber gluing around it around thje ground-down sprocket.. Don't know how difficult that would be to do. Might require some trial and error to get it right.

The rubber O-ring most likely would be easy to source.

-Dan
Feel free to give it a go as long as you feel okay with it. If this does become a thing Cal will most definitely be heading it so well wait and see how that goes.
__________________
Should probably spend less time talking more time shooting but unfortunately I dont have to leave my desk to talk
www.jmongeyphoto.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #117
Jake Mongey
Registered User
 
Jake Mongey's Avatar
 
Jake Mongey is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 17
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Dan,

I forgot to mention the value added of a likely extra frame. The extra head and tail I trim off a roll of 120 I think will give me an extra frame for free, so I believe I will get 11 frames of 6x7 instead of 10, or 10% "value added."

My understanding of B&H and this other big film dealer that utilize the Ilford ULF program is that they will take pre-orders in the spring, Ilford will manufacture over the summer, and film will be shipped in the fall.

I tried to place an order, but I missed the deadline. Oh-well. So I have to pre-order before the end of May 2018 for the next cycle. The cost is more at B&H, but at this other dealer the lower price was $168 for a 50 foot double perf roll. Not cheap, but one could shoot a medium format like a Leica.

As far as I know these bigger dealers place large enough orders to supply us smaller fish.

Cal
Nik and Trick down local to me claim and aim to always be the cheapest in the UK and from what I have looked at are. Ive dealt with them personally many times and they really are in it for the customer. Why am I saying this? They will place Ilford ULF orders for any customers who want any during the opening window. Pretty sure they ship internationally but maybe it could end up being cheaper than BH?
__________________
Should probably spend less time talking more time shooting but unfortunately I dont have to leave my desk to talk
www.jmongeyphoto.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #118
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
I've bought Ilford from these Folks in the past. I was told that they are "right down the road from the Ilford Plant, and the Ilford trucks stop by every day."

Check them out:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #119
Jake Mongey
Registered User
 
Jake Mongey's Avatar
 
Jake Mongey is offline
Join Date: May 2016
Age: 17
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I've bought Ilford from these Folks in the past. I was told that they are "right down the road from the Ilford Plant, and the Ilford trucks stop by every day."

Check them out:

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/
I used to use them for my paper orders, eventually switched to the guys i stated above for various reasons but they have a great lab service and may be better for ULF orders because of their location
__________________
Should probably spend less time talking more time shooting but unfortunately I dont have to leave my desk to talk
www.jmongeyphoto.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2017   #120
Nokton48
Registered User
 
Nokton48's Avatar
 
Nokton48 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,105
He also said he might be able to convince them to do special runs, including stuff not listed
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:32.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.