Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #41
DanskDynamit

M3 DS + Elmar 50 for $300

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #42
Roger Hicks

Well, clearly anything free wins hands down. But there was an OROLF tri-lens turret I swapped for a new 90/2 Summicron and an unused Leitz 21mm finder for £5 and... well, never mind.

Things were a lot easier 40+ years ago.

Cheers,

R.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #43
hilltime

Optika 35, name variant of an Auto Terra with 45/1.8 Zunow lens, Mint condition in original box and leather case.... $50

Fits nicely with my other Auto Terra's

Gary Hill

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44
Corran

Some things I remember...

Pentax 6x7 with special double-exposure factory mod, including 105mm, for $99
Pentax 500mm f/5.6 for 6x7 for $200 from a pawn shop
Ten 100' bulk film rolls of T-Max 100 for $300
Zeiss 180mm f/2.8 "Olympia" Sonnar for $40
Travelwide 4x5 camera for $49 as their #10 backer on KS
Linhof III camera w/ 3 lens set including 15cm APO Lanthar still in the boxes and including documentation for $300 at an estate sale
The whole estate of a pro advertising photographer for $400 - included several 4x5 cameras incl. an Arca Swiss, tons of Nikon stuff, a complete studio light kit that was around $4k new, and a Graflex handlebar flash that was the same model they used for the lightsaber prop in Star Wars - resold on eBay for $1000 the next day. Also included was a huge box of his life's work, with lots of original 4x5 transparencies of ads from major fashion companies. Still gotta go through that box sometime and look at what's there...

Just a few I can remember right now.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
Spanik

Nothing spectacular but a Mamiya 23 standard with the 90mm, 65mm and 159mm new in box, ground glass, 3 sheet film holders, two 6*9 backs, all viewfinder and back masks, lens and body caps, hoods and 10 filter for 400 euro. Also an excellent Yashica EM with working meter for 30 euro.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
someonenameddavid

Kodak Ektra for $75

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
daveleo
what?

Years back someone *gave* me a perfect Polaroid SX70 (brown leather). It was her father's. I pushed the button and a picture came out (last one of the pack). Still have it (under glass).
Best value purchase has to be a lovely minolta srt101 & 50/1.4mc for about $50.

"Insults are pouring down on me as thick as hail." .... E. Manet

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I bought two Large Format lenses that I would consider a great "Score"
A Schneider/Kreuznach APO-Symmar 210/5.6 and a Schneider/Kreuznach Super-Angulon 90mm 8.0 lens...
I paid $100 USD for both...mounted on Toyo lens boards, they look and work as new...I didn't need the lens boards so they sit in the closet...

pf

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
benlees

Never had the experience.

I tend not to go to flea markets, garage/boot sales, charity shops, or peruse Craiglists type sites, so the fault is all mine!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Probably my immaculate M2 that came with a perfect 50mm f2.8 Elmar all for $500 ... spotted on Ebay latish one night! Actually even better than it looked in the pics and I couldn't hit the buy it now button fast enough.

It made up for all the other times I'd been ripped off by sellers giving less than accurate descriptions of their wares and cameras arriving here in Oz with serious issues.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
Huss

Fuji Quicksnap Flash 400 for $6.19.
Incredible deal for a camera WITH film and batteries already included.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52
dmr
Registered Abuser

Free is about the biggest "score" there is and lately I'm feeling as if I'm walking around carrying a cardboard sign "Homeless - Need Cameras" or something, as I've been literally turning down far more than I've been taking. Really.

The one on the right below is the one freebee which I did not say no to, Mamiya 1000 DTL, and other than for some dust on the focus ring (since cleaned) it's immaculate. Only a test roll so far, lens charts and a few shots outside by a railroad track. Works fine.

The one on the left, as shown, was $35 at a thrift shop found by an alert co-worker of mine who knows I have a thing for cameras. She phoned me while shopping and told me about it and I was about to say "Naaaawwwww" until she described it and I realized what it was. I told her not to let it out of her hand until I got there! Very good shape and works fine with most of my existing lenses. Two rolls plus a test roll so far, all just fine.

The lens shown below, which I got whether I wanted it or not, is a f/4.5 70-210 Vivitar zoom, which looks like a low-end one. I haven't used it for anything for real yet. Kinda wonky. One touch focus/zoom but when you zoom physically out, it goes to a shorter focal length. Backwards from what I'm used to.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53
nickthetasmaniac

The only time eBay has even come through for me... The MX below was marked simply as 'old pentax camera', and I ended up nabbing it with the 50/f1.7 for $40 or so. Worked perfectly and served me well for a number of years.

My greatest miss was a Pentax SMC 50/f1.2 that popped up on Gumtree advertised as a 'Pentax 50mm f2' - I throw in an offer but it has (unsurprisingly) already sold...

We abandon them daily in the wasteland of the past. Because even though I have told you that I am walking to remember, this isnít completely true - we must embark also on journeys of forgetting. - Paul Salopek

Olympus EM5 | Ricoh GR | Pentax MX | Leica M2
walking | photography | travel
Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54
x-ray

I've had several great scores.

My wife and I walked into a high end antique store in Charleston SC and I noticed what looked like a Leica case under the counter. I ask the clerk about it and it turned out to be a Very clean M2 with a 35mm V1 Summicron and MR meter. The tag said $1100 and I said that was a touch high (20 years ago). The clerk reached under the counter and took out a large case. He said everything in it was included. I opened the case and almost fainted. There were 8 Leica M lenses, visoflex 1 with bellows and 2 finders, visoflex 2 and a ton of adapters and optical finders plus a Zeiss 50 Sonnar. Also there was another meter, Leica large ball head and tripod plus extras all in beautiful shape. It was bought new by the husband of the owner of the store. He was a neuro surgeon and passed away not long after buying it.

In addition the clerk pulled out an absolutely like new IIIG with a collapsible Summicron. The price was $500 for both.

Needless to say I bought it all. I'm still using some of it and sold the rest for a nice profit.

Another find was a NEW baby (4x5) Deardorff, 210 Zeiss Tessar in an Ilex shutter and several new in the wrapping Graflex wooden holders. All were in a nice case.

I bought this sweet package in the 90's. Deardorff only made 500 of the baby 4x5 and the last was made in 1945. This one had never been used. I picked the entire package up for $800.

A couple of years ago I picked up a very clean Rolleicord V with hood and case for $50 and a very nice Horizont 202 for $25.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55
Rayt

I bought a mint Zeiss Planar 135mm f/3.5 T* from KEH. It is a 4x5 lens akin to an Noctilux for that format. The fact I managed to snag one was a "score" though it was not cheap.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56
wkkato
wkkato

I was doing my usual garage sale hunting for the usual junk, tools, electronics, etc. when I spied a familiar light brown lens case reminiscent of old Nikon rangefinder cases (my late Dad had left me his Nikon SP and 50mm f1.1.) I looked inside and wow, an 85mm f1.5 for Nikon. I quickly bagged it for the asking price of $10. When I got home, I had another prize. I looked into the false top of the lens case, and there was a viewfinder magnifier or eyepiece correction lens made to fit (as I later found out) only the Nikon M and S rangefinders. [See http://www.nicovandijk.net/rfviewfinder.htm at the bottom of the page.]

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #57
Maiku
Maiku

Oh, Christ, my list is long:

Canon LTM 28mm f3.5 with finder $40
Canon FD 55mm f1.2 $100
Canon LTM 50mm f1.8 $5
Canon T90 $10
Canon LTM 50mm f1.4 $50
Canon LTM 100mm f2 $100
Canon LTM 85mm f2 $100
Canon viewfinder for LTM 19mm f3.5 $10

Nikon Ai 35mm f1.4 $50
Nikon Ais 50mm f1.4 $10
Nikon Ais 50mm f1.8 $10
Nikon Ais 25-50 f4 zoom $35

Konica RF $300

Ricoh GR10 $10

Yashica GX $10
Yashica CC $5

Canon GIII Black body $10

Mamiya RZ with two backs 35mm, 55mm, 90mm, 110mm 180mm and motor drive for $400

Mamiya 645 35mm fisheye $50

Contax G2 35mm, 45mm and 90mm kit $600
Contax G series 90mm f2 $5 (two lenses)

Pentax M42 lenses

50mm f1.4 element 8 $10
35mm f2 $20

Olympus 90mm f2 Macro (had mold) $20

Finally,

Old Stock Fuji 690III $250

I have a few more I cannot remember.

Mike

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/1573670/album

Camera: Sony a7. Minolta Lenses: 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.7, 50/3.5, 85/1.4, 100/2.8, 75/210/4. Tokina Lenses: 28-70/2.8

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #58
maddoc
... likes film.

Leica M2 with DR Summicron (with goggles) and hood for US$900, from Ebay BIN. That was in early spring 2009.

flickr
pBase

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #59
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I won this on ebay...it was a local pick-up only...well worth the drive...
Paid $55.00

pf

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #60
bayernfan

this year:

Rolleiflex 3.5f Planar w/ case (near Mint) - $285
35 Summicron v2 w/hood (Mint) - $600
Leica M4 (near Mint) - $400
85 Summarex w/hood (nice user) - $500
50 Summilux pre-asph v2 w/hood (near mint) - $900
50 Summicron v1 (LTM) (perfect glass) - $300
50 Summicron v1 (M) (mint) - $200

nothing outrageous, but considering the fact that almost all of it is near mint, i'm pretty happy.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #61
Bhpeck

Several months back i responded to a listing labeled "Old Nikon Cameras $500." However, i could tell from the single picture that it wasn't just Nikons, but a Leica M as well. it took some time to convice my wife that I knew from that single picture that the box could be worth 4X as much. I made the 45 minute drive across town at 9:30 PM to meet the seller at a gas station. She said her father shot for the LA Times. I brought home:

Nikon F3
Nikon FM2
Nikkor 50mm 1.4 ais,
24mm 2.8 ais,
55mm 2.8 Macro

Canon FTB QL w/ Canon 50mm f1.4

and, last but not least,

Leica M3 SS w/ 50mm summilux pre-asph

She said she knew it was a good deal, and told me the german camera was worth a lot of money, then asked if I wanted to negotiate the price(!). I declined.

i am needing a replacement for the Leica now. It has a patched front curtain, no 1/1000th, 1/500th is starting to go. The viewfinder is beginning to separate as well. Its a very clean body, but i would prefer a wider viewfinder so would rather put those funds to a body i want.

That $500 was the most i have ever spent at once on camera equipment.

Another time i got a 4x5 Crown Graphic w/ 127mm Kodak Ektar lens for $67,
from a dusty swap meet a black paint Pen FT w/ 38mm 2.8 pancake Zuiko for $8,
A Olympus MJU II (all the rage right now) for $10.
A Nikon l35af for $1.50
Billingham 220 like new $50
Nikon L35AF in box $7.50

There's a few more, with stories too. And some great free stuff as well. Now i am trying to buy what i actually want, rather than every good deal that comes my way.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
Mr_Flibble

Free stuff is the best stuff of course.
....even if it's a useless Kodak EK2

I think my best score was an unmarked Leica IIIcK sold to the US Army of the occupation for $125

I've also bought several 'for parts of repair' cameras that increased in value quite a bit after restoration: amongst them a Kodak Graflex No.0 and a Zeiss Ikoflex III

Latest Toys: No.3 Folding Pocket Kodak
Latest Activity: Operation Medemblik 2017

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #63
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

I got a Rolleiflex with a 75mm f/3.5 Tessar taking lens at a big swap meet for $45. The mirror was broken, but mechanically and optically it was fine. I replaced the mirror with a front surface mirror from Edmunds. I cut it into the trapezoid shape with a regular glass cutter. Epoxied it into place, and I shot with it for many years until a spring in the shutter broke.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #64
FujiLove

A load of expired medium format film for £150 on eBay last year (mostly 220). It was advertised as 125 rolls but when it arrived I counted 190+ in the box. Lots of delicious slide film such as Provia 400X, Ektachrome E100VS etc. and probably all frozen since purchase, as it's developing as good as new.

My Jobo CPP2 + tanks were also a bit of a bargain for £200.

Or how about a Mamiya 7ii + 43mm + 150mm for £1000? It had a non-functional meter which cost £65 to fix!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #65
Nikos72

A Meyer Trioplan 100 2.8 for 20 eur and a fed-zorki (or zorki-fed) for 60eur. The later has a couple of holes in its curtains, but I want it just the way it is (perhaps someday I will send it to Oleg for restoration).

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #66
presspass
filmshooter

An 85mm 1.5 Leica LTM lens with hood for $20 and a 90mm Elmar 4.0 for $10, both at a tiny resale shop in rural Virginia. I've never been able to top these deals.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #67
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

somehow no gear was real bargain on my side. I did buy a few that looked like a great deals, but turned out to be duds needing hours of tinkering to get them fixed.I also picked up recently 7 enlarging lenses (3 of them useful for me) at a reasonable price, however these were also super dirty so i had to clean them with ipa-soaked lens cloth and wasted at least 3 hrs on it. Wasn't a great deal after all.
Moreover i have this bad habit of not selling off anything even if it is a surplus

HOWEVER
i did score a few original Capa press photos from the fourties that i got for peanuts because they were not marked with his name and were lost in the jungle of 10.000 other press photos. Does this count?

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #68
splitimageview

Got this from a retired news photographer in Dallas in 2011. Black paint MR4 meter and 35/2 Summicron 8 element, v1. It was an ebay listing, $100 bin. When I met him to pick it up he offered the lens for $500

It was written up on The Online Photographer blog:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...rom-today.html

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #69
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Oh i did score a huge bunch of bw photo paper (long expired), some of it will probably be crap but some will be good...for free. That's a decent "deal".

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #70
Scapevision
90% Film

Olympus XA for $20

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #71
cary

I found a mint condition Nikon FE in the trash. It only needed new seals.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #72
Peter Wijninga

Puzzling how you remember these feats.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #73
13Promet

Boxed, perfect Contax T3 for 250€ a few months ago.
The guy who sold it asked me: "Why the hell are so many people calling me for this crappy, little old camera??"

www.alessandrosaponaro.com

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #74
oftheherd

Yashica FX 103 for $15 several years ago as non-working. And it didn't until I put in a new battery. That was a good price, but the reason was I wanted a home for the Contax T* 50mm f/1.4 I got brand new for $15 out of the PX. Everyone wanted the real cameras and lenses like Nikon and Canon, not that unknown, therefor probably not good Contax crap.

Several years ago I also got a working Omega D5 with Chromagenic head for $50 as a pickup. When I put in the bid on ebay I figured I would go up to $200 or maybe $250. Nobody else bid!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #75
JonWNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
I found a mint condition Nikon FE in the trash.

This reminded me of a great CL score I had a few years ago.
Super crappy pics and a poor description, of course, but I took a chance because it appeared nice in the pics. Turned out to me a mint, barely used at all early Nikon F (Nippon Kogaku logo), with a couple Nikon lenses (don't recall what they were right now) in their original plastic bubble storage cases, instructions, and a few accessories. The guy I got it from was "dumpster diving" on trash day and saw an older lady putting this on the curb. I was happy to pay his $80 asking price. When I received the package I couldn't believe it, as everything was truly in such mint condition that I could not bring myself to use it because I didn't want to be the first one to put any marks on the camera or lenses. To think that someone would even consider throwing something like that in the trash just blew my mind.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #76
Mackinaw
Think Different

I forgot about these. An Olympus OM-1 with 50/1.8, and a Canon AE-1 with 50/1.8, both for free.

Jim B.

http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #78
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I hate all of you.

In case anyone missed it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #79
p.giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
In case anyone missed it.
Oh... forgot to say (probably this is my best deal).

This combo for £15

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #80
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Oh... forgot to say (probably this is my best deal).

This combo for £15

You bought a picture of an OM-1 for 15 quid? I hope it was framed.