Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Yashica Mat 124- Trick it out with RZ67 screen?
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
benji77
@R.F.F

Yashica Mat 124- Trick it out with RZ67 screen?

I have been contemplating to swop out the original Yashica Mat's screen for a RB/RZ67 screen for sometime, and I think I will do it this year!

Would anybody be able to share if this is feasible and has done it before with feedback on results would be awesome.

thanks!

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

Make sure your mirror is in good shape, too. I've replaced some mirrors on personal cameras and for other people and it has made a good deal of difference if the original is corroded or has been poorly cleaned in the past (scratches).

There is a good vendor on ebay, $11 shipped or something in that range so very affordable. (no connection)

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
benji77
@R.F.F

Oh, I never thought that the mirror could be the cause of the poor clarity too. The current screen would need a massive CLA, and with that I thought I would might as well go with the screen upgrade. It would then bring the cost of the whole camera similar to a Rollei 3.5. Which I think would be a good comparison in terms of weight/cost/quality as compared to forking out cash to buy a Rollei 3.5, and risk incurring the wrath of the Missus.

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
f16sunshine

Yeah do it.
I'm always most concerned with the carriage in the Yashicamat.
The morrors get dirty but clean up well.
Ovcasionally one "de-silvers".
I've had the transport carriage crunch outbon two of those cameras over the years.

Mamiya screens are not difficult to self modify. There is a video tutorial online somewhere.
Definetly a good replacement and relatively cheap.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
benji77
@R.F.F

Thank you for the tips guys.

I might just try this at home! LOL. I don't think i would know how to adjust a new mirror for the camera, but after a Youtube clip where someone changed the screen, I think I might be able to change the screen on my own. I am more concerned about the accuracy of the focussing though, where I might just ding something along the process.

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
taemo

there's a groove on the top side of the Yashica screen for the metering so I'm not sure if you can transfer the Mamiya screen easily.

Oleson screen is pretty good and inexpensive. I have both split screen and bright screen and prefer the bright one.

i've confirmed my focusing by comparing it alongside my RF camera.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

No adjustment for the mirror.

Be careful when pulling the ground glass/fresnel out of the focusing panel as it is easy to scratch the optical pieces or break the little tabs that hold the springs in place. Takes some care to do it well, some small pieces of tape can be helpful as pads. Once you open it up it's obvious what needs to be done.

Lastly, don't forget to clean the back side of the viewing lens, those are usually dusty/hazed too.

I use naphtha for initial cleaning with cotton swabs, then Ronsonol (leaves less residue, cleans up whatever the naphtha leaves), then polish with a lens tissue.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
charjohncarter

I have one of these and it is fine, get feedback from others. There is also a split screen for your model. I have the bright screen, but I would gone for the split if they had it for my TLR.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-275.html

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
Ranchu

I don't think there's much point? The Yashica already has a fresnel screen..just clean it, the little springs and tabs are really chintzy on Yashicas. The tabs look like they'll tear, even though they're metal - very thin. If the screen of the Yashica is a piece of matte glass and a plastic fresnel sandwiched together like the Yashica D, the RB67 screen, if it's solid plastic, will put the focus in a different place and you'll have to have it calibrated.

Old 1 Week Ago   #10
Dan Daniel

Replacing the mirror is a simple operation. There are three metal tabs cast into the body that determine the location of the mirror; no adjustments needed.

Changing screens IS what will usually require adjustments as the focusing surface depends on the thickness of the screen.

The difference between the stock Yashica screen and the Mamiya screen is not huge. Also as someone mentioned the screen needs a cutout for the meter block- a half-circle maybe 12mm wide on the leading edge of the screen. You'll need a way to shape this if you do your own Mamiya screen.

My suggestion: replace the mirror (marty1107 on Ebay is the guy to get it from). While in there, remove the screen and clean- it is a two-piece system so note the orientations and surfaces. Use only warm water and gentle soap on the plastic fresnel.

Think about getting a Bright screen from Rick Oleson. It is comparable to the Mamiya screen, and he will provide it cut, including meter cut-out, and installation instructions.