Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #41
Mudman

I've lost count of the cameras I have found. Don't do thrift shops that often, mostly antique and junk shops. Just got a Nikon F2AS with 50mm f1.4 for $50. Got a Leica Model A for $10 (yes I told them what it was worth and the response was the price is the price). Rollieflex mx-evs with accessories for $40. Leitz minolta cl with 2 lenses (40 and 90) for $175 because I insisted (I knew the ownerof the store) otherwise likely $50. I could go on. I guess I'm lucky where I live.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #42
leicapixie

In Toronto Ontario Canada, Goodwill folded after a really smart operator ran it into the ground! Non profit organizations are easy prey to dubious people! I received gifts of cameras from an acquaintance, who i learned later, had worked at a charity store! Good items NEVER make it to sales..
Look at the basic PC/laptop specifications for donation!
One never sees any there or online.
Items at charity stores are usually OVERpriced as to be insane.
Good bargains at some camera shows!
Good friends bringing gifts!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #43
CliveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
Not too many photo gear bargains at Value Village or Goodwill in my area of the Great White North.

Even 12 years ago a beat up common Minolta SRT 101 SLR would go for 60 Cdn dollars when rarely found.
They are getting rarer, but deals are to be found.
Got a Yashica T4 Super D for $6. Olympus Stylus Epic for $4. Nothing beats my biggest score though: a Minolta AF 85mm 1.4 with a dead Maxxum 7000 for $20.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Yesterday's find at a not at all local to me Goodwill store...$7.99
It has the battery, 8 GB card but no charging cord...
I looked at the SD card and it has only 19 pictures on it starting in June 2014 to September 2014 file numbers DSC00006 - DSC00024
Not sure why it was at a thrift store with so few pictures on it...I think it belonged to one of the young girls in the photos...she might have gotten bored with it...

pf

Old 1 Week Ago   #45
farlymac
PF McFarland

I was able to get a Minolta X-700, three lenses, and a flash for $10 once from my local Goodwill store. Had to look all over the place for the items, as they were scattered around, but it made a nice set for $2 to $3 a piece. All the camera needed was a battery to get the mirror back down, and it was good to go.

PF

Old 1 Week Ago   #46
Steve Bellayr

Goodwill (USA) puts all their cameras on auction sites. I purchased 2 from them that they said were working. Upon examination threw them in the thrash. The Salvation Army also has an auction site where they put their cameras on.

Old 1 Week Ago   #47
farlymac
PF McFarland

Yeah, I take that "Tested" with a grain of salt. It's when it says "Not Tested" I shy away from it. That's when I know that they know it's a piece of junk.

PF

Old 1 Week Ago   #48
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Once outside B&H Photo on a Sunday afternoon I saw a small group of men gathered around a dumpster.
I too looked inside. There were several dozen lenses, mostly older-looking manual focus 50mm models.

Chris

Old 1 Week Ago   #49
Steve Bellayr

I have had good luck with thrift stores in the past. But, almost all the cameras that I purchased needed a CLA or more, but I did find some rarities.