Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Film / Developing / Chemistry

View Poll Results: Which is your main B&W film developer?
Kodak D76 / Ilford ID-11 (or equivalent) 26 20.63%
Kodak T-Max / Ilford Iflotec DD-X (or equivalent) 6 4.76%
Kodak XTOL / Ilford Ilfosol 3 (or equivalent) 19 15.08%
Kodak HC-110 / Ilford Ilfotec HC (or equivalent) 43 34.13%
Adox Rodinal (or equivalent) 38 30.16%
Pyrogallo Type 0 0%
Pyrocat Type 3 2.38%
OTHER - Commerical Product 15 11.90%
OTHER - Home Brew 5 3.97%
OTHER - Home Brew of Commerical Prods (e.g. XTOL+RO9) 2 1.59%
These Options are too limited!@#$%! 5 3.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Most Commonly Used B&W Film Developer
Old 3 Days Ago   #1
roscoetuff

Most Commonly Used B&W Film Developer

Unfortunately, we don't have the ability here (to my knowledge) to do compound polls the way I'd like to separate 35mm and 120 rolls film. In part, there seems to be a difference by film type that gets confusing when folks don't specify, and I'm also curious to see if there are any legs to the Pyro and Pyrocat "buzz" vs. "reality" question some bring up. I'm also curious about "Standard", "High Dilution/Low Agitation", "Semi-Stand" and "Stand" choices... but we can't add all of these possibilities into one poll. So maybe in series? if there's a stomach for it? I'd also be curious how many here roll their own chemistry versus mix it up from a commercial or semi-commercial kit (some suggest Photo Formulary isn't really a commercial company... and I get that).

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer

Beutler or D23
Old 3 Days Ago   #2
Pioneer

Beutler or D23

I use Beutler or D23 most of the time, both of which are mixed up when needed. Always having fresh developer available is nice.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 3 Days Ago   #3
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I've gotten pretty set in my ways with developers. HC-110 for some films, Rodinal or Studionol for others. And then a few specialized developers for a few films.

Old 3 Days Ago   #5
Jake Mongey

Usually use rodinol although its fallen out of favor with me with a recent change of aesthetic and its moving in favour of ID11 microphen and percepetol but rodinol is outlasting them as i shoot so much I just find myself running out of the others very quickly.

Old 3 Days Ago   #6
phrons

I like the contrast of rodinal.

Old 3 Days Ago   #7
roscoetuff

Hey Dan: Which Beutler are you using (I think there's Red and Blue)? Shots I've seen with D-23 seem to show really well.

FWIW, I'm using HC-110 as my main squeeze. I like the flexibility to use it in any number of ways. Not my favorite results, but very dependable. I've liked the results of FP4+ with Pyrocat-HD, but I like them with HC-110, too. Looking forward to trying some Rodinal with 120 where I hear the grain issues ...are negated by the negative's size.

"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer

Old 3 Days Ago   #8
johnf04

I use Agfa Rodinal - I recently bought 2 unopened 500ml bottles, and I have half bottle I bought when Agfa went under. There should be enough there to see me out.

Old 3 Days Ago   #9
kiemchacsu

HC-110 is so easy to use, cheap and shelf life is forever.
T-max is also a cool developer, especially for pushing. The only downsize is cost.
Verdict: HC-110 is king.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 3 Days Ago   #10
ellisson

Usually DDX, sometimes D76, occasionally Perceptol.

Old 3 Days Ago   #11
kxl
Social Documentary

Historically, I would think that D-76 would be one of, if not the most commonly used B&W developer of all time. Back in the day, that was usually what was available in my high school darkroom, as well as public darkrooms.

It probably continues to be one of the most commonly-used developers to this day, along with HC-110 and Xtol -- all very good all around developers.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 3 Days Ago   #12
sreed2006

I am no expert, but for low speed films (below 100 ISO), I really like the results produced by Caffenol. For the last few dozen rolls of Tri-X, I've been using Rodinal. The results are not spectacular, but it's easy to mix up and use.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 3 Days Ago   #13
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

D-76; XTOL; and Other, specifically DD-X or Microphen.

Old 3 Days Ago   #14
anerjee

I only shoot tri-x, usually at 250 (for daylight) or 640 (for indoors), and use Rodinal and Microphen respectively

Old 3 Days Ago   #15
sazerac

I've gone through a couple phases over the years. Currently I have a bottle of TMax developer for Tri-X 35mm. I had been on an XTOL kick for a while because I could also use it for the TMax 100 4x5 film. I've also developed a lot with the different dilutions of HC-110. If I had to pick I might say that XTOL has my favorite look.

Last edited by sazerac : 3 Days Ago at 21:44. Reason: Spelling errors

Old 3 Days Ago   #16
Chris101
stubborn

I use HC110, dilution b at 20C for almost every roll of black and white film I shoot, which is on average one roll a week. Occasionally, in the summer, the temperature is too high, and I use a nomograph to determine the equivalent time. I use time to control contrast coupled with the effective film speed.

I also clicked some other choices: For delta 100, I use D76. I have also experimented with caffeinol, and some speed increasing developer in a little tin can, back in the 1970s. These days it's always the hc110 though, mostly because pushing and pulling is linear.

Old 3 Days Ago   #17
Jockos

Right now were switching from XTOL (W27) to FX-39 for a while, to see which we like better.

For large format, I use HC-110 for economy

Da gallery

Old 3 Days Ago   #18
zuiko85

For those of us who don't develop film regularly HC-110 has the keeping quality I need.

Old 2 Days Ago   #19
Bill Clark

The developer I use varies.

Today I'm developing a 36 exp. roll of Pan F Plus in Adox (APH-09) similar to Rodinal.

Old 2 Days Ago   #20
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Rodinal & Microphen... Sharp grain or nothing!

Old 2 Days Ago   #21
presspass
filmshooter

For the past several years, it's been all D-23. Sometimes straight replenished, less often 1:1, and for certain films like Kentmere 400, 1:3 with reduced agitation. It gives me what I need when scanning and makes beautiful wet prints. Inexpensive, simple to make, and reliable - what's not to like?

Old 2 Days Ago   #22
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Right now were switching from XTOL (W27) to FX-39 for a while, to see which we like better.
I've used FX-39 for many years. It's very sharp indeed with moderately fine grain (think of it as fine grain Rodinal) however the keeping qualities aren't great so I strongly recommend that you decant into smaller bottles filled to the top. It's excellent with modern technology films like TMax and Delta.

Old 2 Days Ago   #23
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

I'm surprised that HC-110 is leading by a wide margin, since people seldom talk about it here. Must be a lot of closet users. I thought D-76 or Rodinal would be on top.

Actually you would think XTOL would be close to the top, since Kodak's info says that XTOL has the best of everything: best sharpness, best film speed boost, and finest grain. The ideal developer, seemingly; except for "dreaded XTOL failure" and you have to mix 5 liters of it. And of course some prefer the tonality of D-76 or Rodinal.

Old 2 Days Ago   #24
Rayt

Acros @64 with Rodinal 1:50, and TMY box speed with HC-110 dilution B.

Old 2 Days Ago   #25
Rob-F
It's Only a Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
I've used FX-39 for many years. It's very sharp indeed with moderately fine grain (think of it as fine grain Rodinal) however the keeping qualities aren't great so I strongly recommend that you decant into smaller bottles filled to the top. It's excellent with modern technology films like TMax and Delta.
What is FX-39? WHo makes it? I am not familiar with it.

Old 2 Days Ago   #26
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I'm surprised that HC-110 is leading by a wide margin, since people seldom talk about it here. Must be a lot of closet users. I thought D-76 or Rodinal would be on top.
We only have 65 votes so far on the survey, so I don't think we have a representative sample. As time goes on, I expect D76, XTOL, and Rodinal to pick up adherents.

Developer choice is closely connected to film choice. I use Delta 100/400 and so use Ilford DDX, though I sometimes use Tri-X/Rodinal for effect.

Old 2 Days Ago   #27
J enea

pyrocat-MC or rodinal or Beutler for my slow films, acros, tmax 100, rollei retro 80s and APX 25, just depends on my mood and what I shot, but mainly Pyro-mc. I mix the pyro and beutler as needed and most people know about rodinal and its shelf life.

for faster films like retro 400s, tri-x and tmax 400 I use XTOL replenished. I do use tmax 400 and Pyro-mc if I shoot the film at 200 cause of the fine grain tmax 400 has

but the most used, for the poll purpose, would be pyro-mc

Old 2 Days Ago   #28
roscoetuff

Agree as I especially thought I'd see more XTOL - which I've not used but am eager to see how it, or it's Ilford work-a-like compare to HC-110. But it's summer shootin' time... that's why I left the poll open "forever".

Old 2 Days Ago   #29
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
What is FX-39? WHo makes it? I am not familiar with it.
From the Adox website:

"FX-39 is based on Willi Beutler´s formula for Neofin Red, but was further developed by Geoffrey Crawley. Makes very good use of the film’s full ISO-rating. It’s possible to double the films ISO by adjusting the development times. FX39 can be used in various dilutions in order to develop low-sensitivity films with at least 6-minutes developing time. Especially good for films up to 200 ASA. Well suited for school-photography because of the high equalizing power, low toxidity (no GLS labeling necessary) and easy of use (liquid concentrated one shot developer)."

I have no idea what "high equalizing power" means.

Old 2 Days Ago   #30
julio1fer

I use home-brewed Beutler, which I find excellent for TMX and very good for Pan F and FP4+.

For ISO 400 classic grain I switch to home-brewed D-76,

Old 2 Days Ago   #31
roscoetuff

ptprinter: That's the Beutler Neofin Red (FX-39) and then there's Photo Formulary's Beutler Neofin Blue which is a two-solution formula, "compensating developer that gives excellent sharpness, medium grain and low contrast", "bringing out the fine details in the shadows and decreasing the overall contrast of the negative." So Beutler alone... I don't know.

Old 2 Days Ago   #32
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

HC-110. Because it is very easy to store and work with. Small bottle only needed. And it is very neutral to the negative. Which is good thing for me. I'm adding drama with contrast filters on taking lens or on projecting lens. Or with lith developer.
Rodinal is my second choice for slow films only. Which I don't actually use. K400 and HP5+ are the only films I'm using now. HC-100 allows to push @ISO1600 the K400 and HP5+ @3200.

To be honest, HP5+ at @1600 in HC-110 has most appealing contrast to me on darkroom prints :

Old 2 Days Ago   #33
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
ptprinter: That's the Beutler Neofin Red (FX-39) and then there's Photo Formulary's Beutler Neofin Blue which is a two-solution formula, "compensating developer that gives excellent sharpness, medium grain and low contrast", "bringing out the fine details in the shadows and decreasing the overall contrast of the negative." So Beutler alone... I don't know.
I am familiar with those developer properties. I'm just not sure what "high equalizing power" is.

Old 2 Days Ago   #34
:: Mark

I use ID-11 mostly, mainly because in powder form it keeps forever (it is 35c here in Barcelona right now) and because D76 is harder to find.

Ideally, I would prefer to use DD-X but the cost is high, and storing partially used (concentrated) solution in these temperatures is impractical. I hope to have a dedicated refrigerator for the chemicals later this year...

Old 2 Days Ago   #35
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

One question:
As I see Microphen was not mentioned in the list, maybe I've been missing something...
Are you members using another developer good for pushing and for sharp classic grain?
Thanks!

Old 2 Days Ago   #36
anerjee

Juan, see my reply above, my approach seems to be similar to yours.

I don't push, but I do use Microphen for Tri-x @ 640. I've tried DD-X, X-Tol, Acufine, Diafine -- I just prefer the grain and look of Microphen.

Here is a thread I have bookmarked which maybe of interest to you as well:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...5&postcount=12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Valdenebro View Post
One question:
As I see Microphen was not mentioned in the list, maybe I've been missing something...
Are you members using another developer good for pushing and for sharp classic grain?
Thanks!

Old 2 Days Ago   #37
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerjee View Post
Juan, see my reply above, my approach seems to be similar to yours.

I don't push, but I do use Microphen for Tri-x @ 640. I've tried DD-X, X-Tol, Acufine, Diafine -- I just prefer the grain and look of Microphen.

Here is a thread I have bookmarked which maybe of interest to you as well:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...5&postcount=12
That was interesting! Thank you very much!!

Old 2 Days Ago   #38
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
Hey Dan: Which Beutler are you using (I think there's Red and Blue)? Shots I've seen with D-23 seem to show really well.

FWIW, I'm using HC-110 as my main squeeze. I like the flexibility to use it in any number of ways. Not my favorite results, but very dependable. I've liked the results of FP4+ with Pyrocat-HD, but I like them with HC-110, too. Looking forward to trying some Rodinal with 120 where I hear the grain issues ...are negated by the negative's size.
I mix up my own Beutler.

Part A is 10g of metol and 50g of sodium sulfite in 1000ml of water, usually distilled but my water isn't too bad so I'm not a stickler for this.

Part B is just 50g of sodium carbonate in 1000ml of water.

Solution is mixed 1:1:8 and the development time is dependent on the film speed. I am using a lot of JCH Street Pan 400 and Arista EDU Ultra 400 (exposed at EI200) so my standard time is 11 minutes.

D23 is used for everything else although I do use a bit of Rodinal for some films and Adox Adotech II (now III) for my Adox CMS 20.

Rodinal is very long lasting. Beutler seems to last nicely as well, but I only mix up a liter of A and a liter of B at a time so it usually gets used up fairly quickly as Part A & B is mixed and then used one shot.

D23 lasts a very long time...or not...depending on how you look at it. I mix what I need for each session and then toss it so it is always fresh for each developing session. I actually prefer D-23 over D-76 and it seems to give a bit finer grain. Of course, I can't swear to that since I have done no serious testing.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 2 Days Ago   #39
Juan Valdenebro
Truth is beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerjee View Post
I only shoot tri-x, usually at 250 (for daylight) or 640 (for indoors), and use Rodinal and Microphen respectively
Well, quite close as you said, anerjee! And even more... Before switching to HP5+ in Microphen perhaps two years ago, nearly all my life I used Tri-X in Rodinal... Both are close!

Old 2 Days Ago   #40
roscoetuff

Juan: Didn't mean to slight Microphen by any means. Clearly I left out plenty of good stuff. Caffenol and a variety of good stuff, too. Worked off the Ilford-Kodak equivalent sheet on the web (and didn't add the ECO equivalents). My apologies.

FWIW, I'm glad folks mentioned the other developers... like Beutler and D-23 and hope that will continue. Would've liked to have seen FX-1/FX-2/TFX-2 and a slew of others as well (I have a bottle of TFX-2 I bought on a lark). The Barry Thornton Dixatol (Ultra) / Exactol Lux and some of the other good old stuff is of interest as well. But I keep going with what works and is dependable.