Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Initial shots with the Pentax Q10 [Image Heavy]
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
kb244

Initial shots with the Pentax Q10 [Image Heavy]

So did some snaps with the Q10 earlier today while at campus, I received it yesterday but I didn't really do anything photo worthy, mostly going over all the settings getting familiar with the menu/etc.

Also earlier today, I wore both my Pentax MX + Pentax-M 50/1.4 with Kodak P3200 loaded (expired 2004, from a couple bricks of 40 rolls that has some aging, after testing three rolls, I can now get good near-original results shooting at 1600 and developing with Microphen 1:1), and the Pentax Q10 + 01 Prime with the neck strap attached. The Q10's neckstrap just slightly shorter so it sits right on top of the MX's hot shoe. Or what I call "Mama Pentax, Baby Pentax".

Main thing I didn't care for was I noticed when I switched to one of the Smart Filters (via the 1,2,3,4 dial on front), such as Bold Monochrome, even though I had Raw+Jpeg set, it only saved a jpeg copy. I'm used to where my Olympus, even with a heavy art filter enabled, would save both if I set it for both, the raw copy just wouldn't get the filter applied, but it would still be saved so I can edit it later, not the case with the Pentax.

These are in chronological order:

On the ride out, since it was bright, I did a couple snaps with the 07 Shield lens, kind of nifty/funky and what not, but not something I would care to keep on the camera, especially since the fixed focusing distance is around 3 or 4 feet where its sharp-ish. But I can see some situations where it may come in handy for a few fun ideas.

got into campus, up the stairs and saw some shapes I thought might look nice in the "Bold Monochrome" mode I checked out earlier. It's my second day with the Q10, course I gotta play with the preset filters...

and then down to the classroom, and shot where I came in from with the Photo 102 work on the right side (their 'selfie' project), and not even visible on the left side are the advanced digital prints I printed out for the class (for this semester I'm in PO230 Advanced Digital Imaging, and PO126 Film Processing [which is combined with 4x5 view camera]).

A little after the Adv.Img class I headed over to the visual arts office since I needed to go ahead and print off one of the students huge composite image of a geode (course upon opening the 2GB file, I shrieked at all the sensor dust he had, like a friggin sandstorm, repeated over 30 composited frames... the healing brush did not like me, and I did like like him for not cleaning his sensor lol).

Then the film processing class started, did some quick prints, and then when 6:30PM hit all of us in the class walked about 3 blocks over to WMCAT (West Michigan Center for Art and Technology) where they had a art exhibit going on.

Also one of my own prints was in the exhibit, the one on the left, an HDR shot with my Olympus E-M5 ( Can be seen online here : http://kbeezie.deviantart.com/art/Fr...torm-660677323 )

A quick shot of my film professor on the way back to campus.

Another on the way back, passing the Grand Rapids Library on the right hand side.

After that class, I went back to the office and printed off another print, this time one of my own at 42 inches by 46 inches on to some self-adhesive paper (you peel off the back and affix it to the wall), the geode one underneath being on Epson premium luster printed at 44 inches by 88 inches.

When I finished, I went and took a quick cell phone selfie showing the two cameras worn, then locked down the classrooms and darkroom and headed out shortly before 10PM

The shirt has a Big Wheel on it, saying "That's how I roll."