Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica SL

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

SL 90-280 image stabilization rocks!
Old 03-19-2017   #1
Godfrey
somewhat colored

SL 90-280 image stabilization rocks!

I sold off a good bit of gear, including both of my long R telephoto lenses, to acquire the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 lens with the notion that its image stabilization would net more usage and better results for me than the long R lenses did. I haven't yet made any exposures worth of the name "photograph" with it, I'm still just experimenting to learn it and become accustomed to its size and weight.

I remain astonished with how effective the image stabilization actually is!

The following is a simple, casually made hand-held test snap at 1/50 second - image data directly out of camera as JPEGs.

Full frame downsized to 1200x800, above.
100% detail @ 1200x800 pixels, below.

Leica SL + APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280mm f/2.8-f/4
ISO 3200 + f/4 + 1/50 sec, hand-held

JPEG directly out of camera. IPTC data added with LR6.9.
Click either image to download full resolution image.

To be clear, that exposure is about six times longer than I would even consider shooting a non-stabilized 280mm telephoto at, and likely 12x longer than I actually would. I find its detailing and lack of camera motion absolutely remarkable for that long a hand-held exposure. This is exactly what I was hoping for... so I'm pretty darn pleased. Not to mention that the lens is otherwise a light-year ahead of my old R lenses with respect to overall performance from wide-open to f/16.

G