Old 03-08-2013   #1001
airfrogusmc

Love it mosier and really like both series menos.

I got to meet Mererowitz at a lecture where he spoke and showed his work in the 1980s. I think Red Heads was his latest project at the time.

Old 03-08-2013   #1002
menos

Thanks Allen and Dave!

I don't have spent much time, educating myself about photographic history and famous photographers, but the little, I have seen Meyerowitz I always liked the depth and picturesque speeches, he did on camera. He has got something to say and truly loves photography passionately (+he is not one of those old grumpy men, not wanting to get asked about his stuff).

Dave, I am new with wide angle lenses - it's immense fun, to play around with them and experiment with new stuff! I really admire people, who actually use them well, as it's so damn hard, to get your framing well - seems, one has to shoot a 21 for a few decades, to understand that focal length!
Apart from the technical difficulty, starting to learn this, I find it great fun, how you automatically get closer and closer every shot!

Mosier, you really got something for portraits - you got a website, one could visit?

Old 03-08-2013   #1003
mosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
Thanks Allen and Dave!

I don't have spent much time, educating myself about photographic history and famous photographers, but the little, I have seen Meyerowitz I always liked the depth and picturesque speeches, he did on camera. He has got something to say and truly loves photography passionately (+he is not one of those old grumpy men, not wanting to get asked about his stuff).

Dave, I am new with wide angle lenses - it's immense fun, to play around with them and experiment with new stuff! I really admire people, who actually use them well, as it's so damn hard, to get your framing well - seems, one has to shoot a 21 for a few decades, to understand that focal length!
Apart from the technical difficulty, starting to learn this, I find it great fun, how you automatically get closer and closer every shot!

Mosier, you really got something for portraits - you got a website, one could visit?

Thanks Menos I have some work up at jeffreymosierphotography dot com

Old 03-08-2013   #1004
airfrogusmc

Old 03-08-2013   #1005
menos

Very impressive portraiture Jeff, thanks for sharing your website!

Old 03-08-2013   #1006
xdayv
Color Blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
The 35mm seems to be the perfect FL (arguably vs a 50), but I can see here where the 35 is so good in the right hands.

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 03-08-2013   #1007
airfrogusmc

Thanks Dave. It really fits the way I see but I've seen some killer images made with 50 by many here. A 35 just seems to fit the way I see. Gibson and Bresson both preferred 50 as do you right?

Old 03-09-2013   #1008
MichaelToye

Kings Cross Rail station in London. MM + 35mm f/2 asph.

Kings Cross Station by michael_toye, on Flickr

Old 03-09-2013   #1009
fabio_rf

Since music is my other big passion, together with photography, I like to shoot music gigs, mostly in small venues. It can be a bit challenging in low light, but also very rewarding when it all comes together.

This was my first gig with the MM; I was thrilled by the feeling of shooting the Monochrom in one of the situation where it truly excels, and by some of the results:

The People Band @ Cafe Oto, London, 6th March 2013 by fabiolug, on Flickr

Full set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabiolu...th/8540900837/

Old 03-09-2013   #1010
Vince Lupo

DC Wires1 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

DC Wires2 by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

Old 03-09-2013   #1011
MCTuomey

Fabio, really nice set. Good to see another live music/small venue enthusiast here. My MM is arriving next week after saving over a year. Major use will be club shooting. Here's a few taken with my M9, sorry, hope to improve the look and printability in a significant way with the MM.

Ben Reeves (brother of Martha Reeves of Vandellas' fame) guesting with the RJ Spangler Trio at Bert's Marketplace in the Eastern Market:

20130222-049-Edit-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Gabriel Brass Brand, 5e gallery, Detroit:

20130223-012-Edit-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Motor City Kings at Nancy Whiskey:

20130216-021-Edit-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Nicky Boy Street Band at Cliff Bell's:

20120811-001-Web by Mike Tuomey, on Flickr

Really am looking forward to the MM for this kind of shooting.

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 03-09-2013   #1012
airfrogusmc

A friends band

Old 03-11-2013   #1013
icebear

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 03-12-2013   #1014
airfrogusmc

Yes agree Dave good work everyone and you to Dave.

I haven't shot anything lately for myself. Busy shooting for work. Been busy mounting, matting and framing and I'm so sick of it.....

Had lunch with a good bud today and I took this.
I think this illustrates the range of the MM . Very fast edit.

Old 03-13-2013   #1015
menos

Selling balloons is great Dave!
Great light in the coffee place Allen!

drive by shots - men waiting at a traffic light by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Old 03-13-2013   #1016
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

If I have any criticism of images from the MM it's to do with lack of texture but tonality wise they sing IMO.

Although I'll probably never own the camera I certainly enjoy this thread.

Old 03-13-2013   #1017
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If I have any criticism of images from the MM it's to do with lack of texture but tonality wise they sing IMO.

Although I'll probably never own the camera I certainly enjoy this thread.
You can always add that to the image in post...

Old 03-13-2013   #1018
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Selling balloons is great Dave!
Great light in the coffee place Allen!

drive by shots - men waiting at a traffic light by teknopunk.com, on Flickr
Thanks. Theres a lot more info in the shadows rt side on that shot too.

Old 03-13-2013   #1019
menos

Keith, the Mono sensor indeed is the cleanest thing, I have ever seen, easily shooting above ISO 3200.
Even at ISO 6400 or …*gasp … ISO 10000, it never produces the large, blotchy noise, colour sensor divi cams tend to produce, when the digital guts go over the edge.
Film grain never is as small even in 120 film, pushing as much as this.

Hence, the Mono files just look plain clean and structure free - especially at such tiny sizes at such downrezzed files, as shown here in the thread.

Another phenomenon is, that most people around this thread have shown photographs with lenses not stopped down a lot.
So if one would combine stopping down the lenses further than ƒ5.6, shooting the Mono at ISO 3200 and beyond and showing A3 prints, rather than puny web JPGs, structure is way more visible ;-)

The strange thing about the Mono files though is, that the grain never get's obtrusive - it is very fine and doesn't rule a shot, as say pushed TriX does @ ISO 3200.
In that respect, the Mono never "copies" the look of pushed B&W film, but has it's very own look.

I love, that one can really shoot much more free than before.
The shot with the old man on bike above has been done @ ISO 1600 or 3200 in a very dark alleyway around dusk, while passing him in a car with the lens stopped down to ƒ2 at a high shutter speed.

With TriX, there surely would be more structure. With a M9 there would be no shadow detail anymore and certainly I couldn't enlarge the shot and the man's jacket would show the textile fibres …

I always loved pushed TriX for how nicer it can be used in the night than any film RF digital.
The Mono is the only camera, that pushed this even further for me and I can shoot now at shutter speeds at night, I could only dream of before and even can use ƒ2 lenses or shoot really slow glass at night!

I love this camera ;-)

Apart from my pictures sucking, compared to so many great photographers around I can only state for everybody in this thread (and I am sure, people who run those Mono files through their computers and printers approve):
All these shots in this thread, as wonderful, they might look at 800px don't do the Mono sensor justice. It's a pity the internet and computer screens still didn't catch up with prints on paper (even an A5 print will blow away these JPGs).

Old 03-13-2013   #1020
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Keith, the Mono sensor indeed is the cleanest thing, I have ever seen, easily shooting above ISO 3200.
Even at ISO 6400 or …*gasp … ISO 10000, it never produces the large, blotchy noise, colour sensor divi cams tend to produce, when the digital guts go over the edge.
Film grain never is as small even in 120 film, pushing as much as this.

Hence, the Mono files just look plain clean and structure free - especially at such tiny sizes at such downrezzed files, as shown here in the thread.

Another phenomenon is, that most people around this thread have shown photographs with lenses not stopped down a lot.
So if one would combine stopping down the lenses further than ƒ5.6, shooting the Mono at ISO 3200 and beyond and showing A3 prints, rather than puny web JPGs, structure is way more visible ;-)

The strange thing about the Mono files though is, that the grain never get's obtrusive - it is very fine and doesn't rule a shot, as say pushed TriX does @ ISO 3200.
In that respect, the Mono never "copies" the look of pushed B&W film, but has it's very own look.

I love, that one can really shoot much more free than before.
The shot with the old man on bike above has been done @ ISO 1600 or 3200 in a very dark alleyway around dusk, while passing him in a car with the lens stopped down to ƒ2 at a high shutter speed.

With TriX, there surely would be more structure. With a M9 there would be no shadow detail anymore and certainly I couldn't enlarge the shot and the man's jacket would show the textile fibres …

I always loved pushed TriX for how nicer it can be used in the night than any film RF digital.
The Mono is the only camera, that pushed this even further for me and I can shoot now at shutter speeds at night, I could only dream of before and even can use ƒ2 lenses or shoot really slow glass at night!

I love this camera ;-)

Apart from my pictures sucking, compared to so many great photographers around I can only state for everybody in this thread (and I am sure, people who run those Mono files through their computers and printers approve):
All these shots in this thread, as wonderful, they might look at 800px don't do the Mono sensor justice. It's a pity the internet and computer screens still didn't catch up with prints on paper (even an A5 print will blow away these JPGs).
Agree and to further expand on this for me and the way I shoot the high ISO gives me the freedom to shoot at shutter speeds of 1/500 of a second and still be able to stop down to f/11 so if I'm shooting on the street I can freeze action if I so desire and still keep what I need to be in focus fairly sharp. The images are sharper out of camera (MM) than my 5DII files are and 6400 is more pleasing to me anyway.

Old 03-13-2013   #1021
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I think Keith is coming from the space of shooting Mf and large format, and I know exactly what he means. The Monochrom has the resolution of a larger format, and can emulate the tonality of perhaps 120, but the texture is the key element that remains elusive.

A few days ago I took three shots with my MM: one was without a filter; another was with a 2x yellow filter; and a third was with an orange filter. All three shots were from the same vantage point, of the same subject, and under the same lighting.

Although it was a bit overcast, the shot without the filter displayed very mild clipping. The shot with the yellow filter removed about 2/3rds of the clipping in the high lights and dampened the clipping in the blacks by about 1/3rd. With the orange filter the clipping was eliminated, but the histgram indicated contrast compression.

From my observations the midrange became more vast through the use of filters, and it seems that more information is recorded, as clipping is lost information. Anyways like how I shoot B&W film, always with filters, the MM looks to respond in the same manner. I tend to make my contrast adjustment with filters on my negatives and not later in the darkroom. I'm using this same approach in digital and will continue to avoid contrast adjustments in post processing. I'm not so clever, but know I'm really at heart a lazy slacker.

I think using filters to compress the contrast range to control, minimize, or avoid clipping is a way to add detail. Also know I took an indoor shot at night with the yellow filter and I was stunned by the added detail. To me the high ISO capabilities makes using filters no handicap, and I think the contrast has an organic smoothness to it that more closely resembles medium format.

Cal

Old 03-13-2013   #1022
MichaelToye

ISO 6400, 1/45s @ 35mm

Old 03-13-2013   #1023
Vince Lupo

Virginia Museum of Fine Arts by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

Lee by Vince.Lupo, on Flickr

Old 03-13-2013   #1024
MichaelToye

ISO 2500, 1/60s

Old 03-13-2013   #1025
airfrogusmc

WWII Veteran and volunteer George

Old 03-13-2013   #1026
jcrutcher

Quote:

Excellent!!! I'm sure you thanked him for his service. He looks very proud and deserves to be.

What lens did you use?

Jim

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 03-13-2013   #1027
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrutcher View Post
Excellent!!! I'm sure you thanked him for his service. He looks very proud and deserves to be.

What lens did you use?

Jim
Thanks Jim,

35 lux FLE wide open. And yes we talked a bit. He was with the Army Signal Corps and was in the Pacific.

Old 03-13-2013   #1028
jcrutcher

5000 ISO, 50 mm collapsible Cron

L1001618.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

L1001629.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

L1001632.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

L1001608.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

L1001611.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

L1001620.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 03-13-2013   #1029
xdayv
Color Blind

Quote:
well-captured!

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 03-13-2013   #1030
menos

Thanks Cal for getting my head straight on what Keith was commenting about (I just saw the noise/ grain aspect, but didn't think further).
Could someone point me to a good example on what structure one would see in the bigger formats, 35mm lacks? I would be very happy to learn more about this!

Keith, was that your point?

Michael, I love the lighting and contrast!

Yes, that's a great expression, you got in the portrait of George!

Here is a drive by shot from Today:

pushing tricycle by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

All done with one of my favourite lenses on the Mono - the 75/2.5 Voigtlander + 4x orange filter.

Old 03-14-2013   #1031
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Thanks Cal for getting my head straight on what Keith was commenting about (I just saw the noise/ grain aspect, but didn't think further).
Could someone point me to a good example on what structure one would see in the bigger formats, 35mm lacks? I would be very happy to learn more about this!
Dirk,

Because you like using that 4x Orange filter your shots have some of that "texture." I think using filters on the camera offers a more organic and natural representation than later contrast changes in post.

For some examples check out the "6X9 photos only" thread that Chris started in the "120 RF Modern" section.

Good examples to me have this organic smoothness in the contrast and levels of detail that are like a Monochrom on steroids. Really good 120 exposures combined with perfect development look like they could be large format shot with fast film.

To me the Monochrom likes filters, and when you get the right combination of exposure, filters and right light the resemblance is very close to MF, but getting that 3-D texture though with that MF like smoothness is elusive because you need the perfect combination.

Cal

Old 03-14-2013   #1032
C_R

90AA

Super Elmar 3.4/21

Carsten
Monochrom / Flickr

Old 03-14-2013   #1033
MCTuomey

Outstanding, Carsten!

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 03-14-2013   #1034
fabio_rf

Carsten, really like the last two. Great compo and drama going on in the wide landscape.

My second gig with the Monochrom, last night:

Fire! with Christian Marclay @ Cafe Oto, London, 13th March 2013 by fabiolug, on Flickr

Fire! with Christian Marclay @ Cafe Oto, London, 13th March 2013 by fabiolug, on Flickr

I'm quite happy with the processing in Silver Efex Pro 2. Any tips/suggestions for improvement appreciated.

Old 03-14-2013   #1035
menos

Thanks Cal for the info - I actually do not like the look with orange filter of skin. It seems to brighten up skin way too much and makes it look like old chewing gum without any interesting texture or detail.
A yellow filter is the max, I would use with the Mono, when people are close up shown.

Carsten I like especially the shepherd - great photo!

Fantastic Fabio! I love this stuff, especially when motion is shown with slower shutter speeds, really makes these alive!

Old 03-14-2013   #1036
mosier

Helping a buddy out with a lighting setup. He had to stand in as the test subject. Not the type of photograph I usually do, but wanted to get a frame with the mono.

Old 03-14-2013   #1037
C_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
....Did you push the clarity slider in LR quite a bit to the right?
At a Monochrom workshop in NYC, a recommendation was given not to go beyond "15" in LR4 for clarity to avoid an overly artificial look - but everyone has a certain preference.
This was 1/250 sec f:4 ISO 1600. The light plus lens were high contrast, actually I pulled the clarity slider to the left, locally on her face. The Elmar has superb microcontrast, probably not the best portrail lens :-)

Carsten

Old 03-15-2013   #1038
menos

Two from my drive by shots from today (same lens, one with Leica M8.2 and the other with Mono - which is which? Don't cheat, on flickr you can see the camera tagged).

The light is slightly different between both frames, the old gentleman stood more in a shadow, while the embrace happened in full light.

I know exactly, why I can't get to sell my M8.2 yet.

old man waiting by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

embrace by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

Old 03-15-2013   #1039
airfrogusmc

Great Stuff everyone.

Everyone is invited.
The official invite

Old 03-16-2013   #1040
inspirado

Hi,

I am new to this forum and also relatively new to photography. There are so many great captures in this thread that I am not sure to join. But I thougt i´ll give it a try. I have the Monochrom with a 35mm Summilux since almost three weeks now (before used the Fuji X-Pro1 and the Fuji X100). It is my first Leica and as I like shooting wide open it is still hard for me to nail focus.

My son, 35mm Summilux, 1/125, ISO 320
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130315-L1000959_bg.jpg (108.4 KB, 31 views)