Old 09-30-2012   #161
michaelbialecki

Wow, I can't even believe that I am posting in this thread.....I do not have a Leica Monochrom, nor do I have or really ever used any digital Leica before.......But I was fortunate enough to hang out with Kristian the other day and got to play around with his Monochrom for a couple of shots....

All of these are from Bangkok....[/url]

cheers, michael

Old 09-30-2012   #162
f16sunshine

Nice stuff Michael. I like the the first especially. Very sultry.

This outfit is like Mario Brothers meets The Lizard King in a Christmas Ornament factory
Only in Bangkok!

Old 09-30-2012   #163
Jager

Me thinks the Monochrom suits you, Michael...

www.jeffhughesphoto.com (website)
http://jeffreyhughes.net/wordpress (blog)

Old 09-30-2012   #164
michaelbialecki

Thanks guys.....I want one of these cameras so bad.......it was so much fun to use...

cheers, michael

Old 09-30-2012   #165
M_Driscoll

A couple from the Pike Place Market in Seattle. I couldn't stop myself from doing the 'crop'.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Old 10-01-2012   #166
Jager

Old 10-01-2012   #167
Travis L.
Registered Userino

I have to admit, when I first heard about Leica's plans to make this camera I thought the idea sounded crazy... This thread is changing my mind.

Old 10-01-2012   #168
back alley
IMAGES

i love the skin tones on all these images...and the clarity...this camera easily beats film and the digitals that i have seen prior...

xt20...xe2...xe1...
16...23...23...27...50...56...55-200

original canon F1...T90...24/2.8...100/2.8...200/2.8...300/5.6

Old 10-01-2012   #169
M_Driscoll

Buying flowers at the Pike Place Market, Seattle, WA

Cheers, Matt

Old 10-01-2012   #170
CaptZoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Driscoll View Post
Buying flowers at the Pike Place Market, Seattle, WA

Cheers, Matt
What lens are you using?

Old 10-02-2012   #171
Jager

Old 10-02-2012   #172
M_Driscoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptZoom View Post
What lens are you using?
50mm f/1.4 with a light yellow Heliopan filter.

Cheers, Matt

Old 10-03-2012   #173
Koolzakukumba
Real men use B+W

Much as it pains me to admit it, now that I've ditched digial and gone over completely to film, the tonality of some of these images is lovely. I wonder if it's like that straight out of the camera or after post-processing. Are there any downloadable raw files available so I can check it out? It's all academic as I've no intentions of going back to digital but I'm cursed with an inquiring mind.

Old 10-03-2012   #174
Jager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolzakukumba View Post
Much as it pains me to admit it, now that I've ditched digial and gone over completely to film, the tonality of some of these images is lovely. I wonder if it's like that straight out of the camera or after post-processing. Are there any downloadable raw files available so I can check it out? It's all academic as I've no intentions of going back to digital but I'm cursed with an inquiring mind.
There are a number of DNG's out there people can play with, Bruce. Jono Slack has posted some. There are several posted over at the LUF. And, I seem to recall Kristian posting one or two here. A quick google should find 'em for you.

That said, I'd be careful of drawing instant conclusions from a DNG you didn't create (and thus have no information on what the scene lighting and metering were). My experience is that virtually all digital images - not just from the MM - require at least a modicum of post processing. The notion that a DNG ought to be perfect out of the camera (if that's what you were thinking) is a flawed one, IMHO. Just like with film where we'll push or pull, use different developers, use different agitations, use different paper grades, dodge and burn, etc., digital likewise requires a bit of effort to realize the vision you saw before you raised the camera.

More specifically, the MM in-camera metering seems biased towards underexposure - no doubt a decision made by Leica to minimize the likelihood of blown highlights, as that is the singular pitfall that photographers using the MM must be mindful of.

I also find most well-exposed DNG images out of the MM tend to be somewhat flat. the blacks more often than not need to be brought up. And the whites oftentimes, as well.

In a nutshell, the things I'll tweak are exposure (frequently bringing up 1/3 or 1/2 a stop), setting black and white points and otherwise establishing overall image tone, then tweaking contrast a bit. For most images, that's all I do. Takes about ten seconds.

Old 10-03-2012   #175
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
There are a number of DNG's out there people can play with, Bruce. Jono Slack has posted some. There are several posted over at the LUF. And, I seem to recall Kristian posting one or two here. A quick google should find 'em for you.

That said, I'd be careful of drawing instant conclusions from a DNG you didn't create (and thus have no information on what the scene lighting and metering were). My experience is that virtually all digital images - not just from the MM - require at least a modicum of post processing. The notion that a DNG ought to be perfect out of the camera (if that's what you were thinking) is a flawed one, IMHO. Just like with film where we'll push or pull, use different developers, use different agitations, use different paper grades, dodge and burn, etc., digital likewise requires a bit of effort to realize the vision you saw before you raised the camera.

More specifically, the MM in-camera metering seems biased towards underexposure - no doubt a decision made by Leica to minimize the likelihood of blown highlights, as that is the singular pitfall that photographers using the MM must be mindful of.

I also find most well-exposed DNG images out of the MM tend to be somewhat flat. the blacks more often than not need to be brought up. And the whites oftentimes, as well.

In a nutshell, the things I'll tweak are exposure (frequently bringing up 1/3 or 1/2 a stop), setting black and white points and otherwise establishing overall image tone, then tweaking contrast a bit. For most images, that's all I do. Takes about ten seconds.
Jeff,

Thanks for this thoughtful post. I'm totally new to digital and one of those B&W film only guys who does not even scan.

Its great to hear that PP can be minimal because at heart I'm a lazy slacker. The small time requirement is great, because I tend to shoot a lot.

Could you please explain what "Tweaking exposure 1/3rd or 1/2 a stop" means in Lightroom.

Also it seems like the sensor responds a lot like film in that straight shots without contrast filters are flat in contrast. I wonder if the use of contrast filters like when I shoot film will directly translate? I wonder if my old school ways are appropriate when applied to digital?

Cal

Old 10-03-2012   #176
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

I want to see some photos from a clod operating the camera. Will someone please loan me theirs?

Old 10-03-2012   #177
Jager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Jeff,

Thanks for this thoughtful post. I'm totally new to digital and one of those B&W film only guys who does not even scan.

Its great to hear that PP can be minimal because at heart I'm a lazy slacker. The small time requirement is great, because I tend to shoot a lot.

Could you please explain what "Tweaking exposure 1/3rd or 1/2 a stop" means in Lightroom.

Also it seems like the sensor responds a lot like film in that straight shots without contrast filters are flat in contrast. I wonder if the use of contrast filters like when I shoot film will directly translate? I wonder if my old school ways are appropriate when applied to digital?

Cal

Cal, the exposure slider is under the 'Develop' tab of Lightroom. You can, as the name suggests, raise or lower the overall image brightness level. Doing so isn't as ideal as getting a perfectly metered shot out of camera. But since the MM has a bias towards underexposure, if you're in a hurry, or not careful, it's easy to end up with an image that is slightly too dark. Ergo, pushing that slider to the right to bring it up.

I've never used contrast filters on film (except for polarizing filters, which I suppose are a type of contrast filter). But I don't see why they wouldn't work on the MM. Pretty much any filter effect on (panchromatic-type) film is going to likewise work on the MM. Having said that, it's incredibly simple to tweak contrast in Lightroom...

Old 10-03-2012   #178
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Cal, the exposure slider is under the 'Develop' tab of Lightroom. You can, as the name suggests, raise or lower the overall image brightness level. Doing so isn't as ideal as getting a perfectly metered shot out of camera. But since the MM has a bias towards underexposure, if you're in a hurry, or not careful, it's easy to end up with an image that is slightly too dark. Ergo, pushing that slider to the right to bring it up.

I've never used contrast filters on film (except for polarizing filters, which I suppose are a type of contrast filter). But I don't see why they wouldn't work on the MM. Pretty much any filter effect on (panchromatic-type) film is going to likewise work on the MM. Having said that, it's incredibly simple to tweak contrast in Lightroom...
Jeff thanks for the response. Congrats on your Monochrome.

I have a very steep learning curve ahead, but your post suggests I won't be too overwelmed.

Cal

Old 10-03-2012   #179
icebear

Hi Cal,

don't worry, you'll get there ... eventually .
Here is a slightly older video from Th. Overgaard using LR3, but it should give you a general first glimpse to what is heading your way.

http://vimeo.com/channels/lightroomsurvivalkit

It a bit lengthy here and there but it was very useful for me.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 10-03-2012   #180
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Hi Cal,

don't worry, you'll get there ... eventually .
Here is a slightly older video from Th. Overgaard using LR3, but it should give you a general first glimpse to what is heading your way.

http://vimeo.com/channels/lightroomsurvivalkit

It a bit lengthy here and there but it was very useful for me.
Thanks Klaus,

Part of the fun and excitment is the waiting.

Cal

Old 10-03-2012   #181
icebear

Hi Cal,

with "getting there eventually", I was referring to the learning curve and not the delivery .
Therefore also the link to the LR survival kit video from Overgaard.

Old 10-05-2012   #182
C_R

Finally, got my MM on vacation, for the last two days. One of the first shots, side light from a window, Nocti 1.0 @ 1/125 sec ISO 320:

Carsten

Old 10-05-2012   #183
Jager

Congrats on the new arrival, Carsten! Terrific work right out of the gate...

Old 10-05-2012   #184
C_R

Quote:
Congrats on the new arrival, Carsten! Terrific work right out of the gate...
Thank you, Jeff :-)
BTW, almost no postprocessing from DNG with Photo Ninja.
Workflow needs getting used to, but handling of highlights, tones, and detail is at least as good as LR4 and often you get it just right out of the box without minimal changes.

Carsten

Old 10-05-2012   #185
leicashot

My Mono is now in service for stuck framelines, so no new content...

Old 10-05-2012   #186
Jager

We look forward to more of your inestimable work, Kristian. Do you have an ETA on getting the MM back?

Old 10-05-2012   #187
leicashot

Quote:
We look forward to more of your inestimable work, Kristian. Do you have an ETA on getting the MM back?
Was told 10-15 days and was given a M9 as a loaner. I believe I'm the first to have an issue with the Monochrom....making history I am

Old 10-06-2012   #188
Jager

Old 10-06-2012   #189
M_Driscoll

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/125s; ISO 320

M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 1000

Cheers, Matt

Old 10-08-2012   #190
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Driscoll View Post
M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/125s; ISO 320
M-M; 50mm f/1.4; 1/60s; ISO 1000
Cheers, Matt
Hello Matt,

thanks for sharing. I looked at your zenfolio page. You have some great work there. I flipped through a lot of your work, esp. the 70's is special.
From the new ones, I particularly like this one :
http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p49714...5054#h41627d30
bw at 6400 in this quality, just amazing.
I understand that people being used to see grain for the last 100 years and see this as a "must have", might object this example as clinical and whatever. If you look at a scene live (not "live view" ) there is no grain. So for me these shots look stunning.

Old 10-09-2012   #191
Jager

Old 10-09-2012   #192
jsrockit

Wait, you mean this camera doesn't just make magical B&W photos without any effort? Sheesh, what is photography coming to these days!

Old 10-09-2012   #193
M_Driscoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
Hello Matt,

thanks for sharing. I looked at your zenfolio page. You have some great work there. I flipped through a lot of your work, esp. the 70's is special.
From the new ones, I particularly like this one :
http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p49714...5054#h41627d30
bw at 6400 in this quality, just amazing.
I understand that people being used to see grain for the last 100 years and see this as a "must have", might object this example as clinical and whatever. If you look at a scene live (not "live view" ) there is no grain. So for me these shots look stunning.
Klaus: Thanks for looking! It's interesting to view those 70's shots (Nikkormat FTN, 50mm, Tri-x, developed at school, or in the bathroom sink) in comparison to what the M-M can do. I'm not interested in it's ability to look like 'film' (not that there's anything wrong with that!). It's unique in the range of expression that it allows. That's what I like.

Ps. That's my wife and she doesn't like me to photograph her. ISO 6400 makes me pretty stealthy.

Cheers, Matt

Great pics, everyone...
Old 10-10-2012   #194
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

Great pics, everyone...

Fantastic captures everyone. I don't frequent these parts as often as I should, as some of the work I have seen here is quite inspirational. Here are a few of my images with the MM:

Old 10-10-2012   #195
Richard G

OK Ashwin, you can call in again anytime.

Old 10-10-2012   #196
ramosa

Ashwin,

Great work, as usual. Hey, I didn't know you "did" RFF! Stay well, compadre.

Old 10-12-2012   #197
silverbullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseJones View Post
These are terrific. I enjoyed the processing and its good to see how people work in different ways.
But most of all I like where you stood when you pressed the button!
The last shot* demonstrates the 'ugly part' of the MM or the pp or.....:

* with the half blind ? man, sorry...

it's the OOF part at the left side of the pic - the lady with the plastic bag in her left hand.
There is some 'aura' around her which looks very nasty, but why?

The same in the pic of the man in the railway station:

In the untouched pic the right hand outer rail of the bench looks ok but in the pp-version this wooden piece becomes indifferent nasty in my eyes....

For me it seems that the MM needs a lot of partial corrections in different areas of the pic. Then it would be possible to get lost.....

For me personally there is the 7.000 € question whether the MM would be ok after 6 months when the honeymoon has ended.....

PS: from the contend the most pics are really good but some of them would look much better on film because film will be moe gentle even in harsh conditions....

Cheers
Bernd

Old 10-12-2012   #198
CaptZoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
Fantastic captures everyone. I don't frequent these parts as often as I should, as some of the work I have seen here is quite inspirational. Here are a few of my images with the MM:
That first pic is phenomenal.

Old 10-12-2012   #199
icebear

Here some shots. My frist 2 hrs with the Monochrom at a Leica workshop in NYC yesterday...
Just a little tweaking in LR4. Info on ISO, lenses etc. in my gallery.

Old 10-12-2012   #200
Richard G

Having shot so well with the M9 and now trying the MM, what do you think?