Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 07-05-2009   #81
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
It doesn't end, at least while you're having fun!

Did you notice the price has dropped, again, on the Hassy 503 in the classifieds?

For the 645 may I recommend the Mamiya M645 1000s? Cheap as chips, solid as a rock, nice lenses, unusual ergonomics. Produces very nice negatives. The Pentax 645 is very highly recommended, but more expensive and less commonly available out our way.

Chris ... I've had the Blad on my add 'watch list' since I spotted it ... but thanks for reminding me!

I soooo would like that camera!

Old 07-05-2009   #82
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Chris ... I've had the Blad on my add 'watch list' since I spotted it ... but thanks for reminding me!

I soooo would like that camera!
Keith, you can shoot 645 with the Blad, you get 16 exposures, and you need a prism, but a well used prism is generally pretty reasonable. Careful not to buy the 4x4 back, unless you want to shoot super slides, but you can do that as well with the 645 back by cutting off the ends of the frame. I suppose the insert for the 645 would go in the 4x4 back. Mixed number backs are selling pretty low.

If you lurk around camera shows, and other disreputable locales, or bug Igor, you can find some amazing kit for very reasonable prices.

The Mamiya 1000s, though a bit tricky to service, are very sturdy, and I saw one the dealers were offering $125 for with a non meter prism, normal lens, in user shape. I have had several, and shutter adjustment was $125, they are electronically controlled. There is an assortment of prisms, some offer AE. They also take the Pentacon, Kiev, Exacta mount lenses with an adapter, opening them up as reliable bodies for a whole lot of Jena and FSU glass.

You can get in to some money with the lenses, but the newer models with interchangeable backs will take some digital backs, so the system is still alive.

I do hear MF is going up in price in general, as the rest of the world has not lost their minds entirely. ;-)

I watched a Bronica with two backs and three lenses sell for $300 in a fitted case.

Regards, John

Josef Sudek

Old 07-05-2009   #83
Morca007
Matt

I don't want to clutter up the forum with an 'about to pull the trigger' thread, so I'll ask here.
I'm looking at a Kiev 60 with both a wlf and ttl prism finder and an arsat 80 for about $100 shipped (provided there isn't a last minute bidding frenzy), any opinions/warnings?

Old 07-05-2009   #84
Krosya
Konicaze

from Kowa Six:

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 07-05-2009   #85
Jay Decker
Meat Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Please show me some of your pics that have made you smile and think to yourself ... "Yep, I love MF!"
Wish that I could shoot MF all the time... thanks for the great thread Keith!

Vince Donovan and Todd Hanz's photographs motivated me to start shooting MF. Thanks gentlemen!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan-090531-0005.jpg (31.1 KB, 1874 views)
File Type: jpg Scan-090531-0004.jpg (43.4 KB, 1438 views)

Last edited by Jay Decker : 07-05-2009 at 05:07.

Old 07-05-2009   #86
Stradibarrius

For some reason that I can't explain, I enjoy shooting with my bulky, heavy RB67 more than any of my other gear. If I had to choose a camera for a "money shot" I guess I would choose my Nikon D300 but I enjoy the process more with my RB67. Maybe it makes me feel like I am a "real" photographer. I even like the sound of the "slap" of the mirror...I guess I am a bit nuts. I know one of the things RF folks love is the "quite" nature of their RF.

Old 07-05-2009   #87
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post

Vince Donovan and Todd Hanz's photographs motivated me to start shooting MF. Thanks gentlemen!
Thanks for your contribution Jay. I have to admit that on the odd occasion when my commitment to MF has waned a little ... an image I've spotted in the gallery or a thread by Todd has well and truly revived it!

His MF work is consistently outstanding IMO!

This thread has topped the 100 post mark ... RFF has a very strong core of MF shooters!

All great pics in this thread.

Last edited by Keith : 07-05-2009 at 15:45.

Old 07-05-2009   #88
venchka

Keith,

I use a CF Gitzo 3 Series tripod and RRS BH-55 under the Pentax. Not exactly the lightest. Not cement heavy either. About 3 kilos all up. I also hang the heavy 6x7 bag from the tripod. As I mentioned earlier, left hand on the prism, index finger trips the mirror lock up, right hand trips the shutter with cable release. Very easy when you get the hang of it. I have also used the MLU hand held. Works fine for static subjects.

The Pentax 6x7 ground glass is not 100%. You get a little extra all around on the negative.

In the 6x7 world, there are few choices. The eyelevel handling of the Pentax wins in my book. Did I mention the 45mm lens? Brilliant!

I do wish I could afford something in 6x9.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Last edited by venchka : 07-05-2009 at 14:01.

Old 07-05-2009   #89
FrankS

Be patient Keith, keep your eyes open while you're saving and eating noodles, and you will find MF deals. I've seen Hasselblad CM kits sell for $500. I just got a Rollei TLR for $80. An f3.5 Rollei is the Leica II/III of MF cameras, and a Hasselblad is like a Leica M. IMO, these are the most elegant MF cameras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolleiflex Tessar 005 (Medium).jpg (48.4 KB, 45 views)

photography makes me happy

Last edited by FrankS : 07-05-2009 at 08:10.

Old 07-05-2009   #90
wclavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by venchka View Post
Keith,

In a word: Rubbish. I have been using mine on a tripod a lot. At 1 to 1/15 sec. No worries. Handheld, I try to stay around 1/250. MAYBE, if I looked at negatives with a microscope, I might think differently. But I don't.
Wayne,

Not sure if a it is quite the same as a microscope, but I have been all over those pictures of yours as they were originally scanned - - I know that you can read the license plates of the cars parked across the street from the bar... there is no need to doubt or undersell the quality of the focus and the stability of that camera.

I agree with Wayne - - a lot of that talk is rubbish... probably being promulgated by people whose MF cameras have leaf shutters.

My LUG Gallery

Old 07-05-2009   #91
photony texas
Light Sensitive

A fantastic thread Keith has started here. I have to agree “Long Live Medium Format” My photo contribution to it are all Double Exposures with a Mamiya 7II and Tri-X.

Old 07-05-2009   #92
sebastian toombs

^ mamiya 7 with astia (first roll with the camera)

^ mamiya 6 folder with npz

^ both mamiya 6 folder with astia

Old 07-05-2009   #93
Stradibarrius

This was taken with an RB67 and Kodak 400VC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011169-R01-017_cathedral interior color (480 x 600).jpg (68.3 KB, 139 views)

Old 07-05-2009   #94
Darkhorse
pointed and shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Decker View Post

I love these portraits.

Old 07-05-2009   #95
wclavey

I'll add one of my favorite recent 6x6 images that is outside of my usual subject matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMC-img_466 sm.jpg (95.3 KB, 84 views)

My LUG Gallery

Last edited by wclavey : 07-05-2009 at 11:08. Reason: Forgot picture

Rolleiflex
Old 07-05-2009   #96
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Rolleiflex

I've been shooting mostly MF for the past year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NRI---018-w-copy-1.jpg (64.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg AB-landscape-011.jpg (43.7 KB, 134 views)

it's all about light

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2009   #97
venchka

Cool Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
Wayne,

Not sure if a it is quite the same as a microscope, but I have been all over those pictures of yours as they were originally scanned - - I know that you can read the license plates of the cars parked across the street from the bar... there is no need to doubt or undersell the quality of the focus and the stability of that camera.

I agree with Wayne - - a lot of that talk is rubbish... probably being promulgated by people whose MF cameras have leaf shutters.
Thanks Westley. One never knows what to believe on the internet. Independent verification is always good.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 07-05-2009   #98
Dave Wilkinson

Quote:
Thanks Westley. One never knows what to believe on the internet. Independent verification is always good.
have not read all of this thread, as it's time a poor old soul like me was heading for dreamland ( under the sheets, not on the internet! )...but Wayne - when are you going to thrill me with some of those 4x5 shots?
Dave

I won't promise.
Old 07-05-2009   #99
venchka

Cool I won't promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wilkinson View Post
have not read all of this thread, as it's time a poor old soul like me was heading for dreamland ( under the sheets, not on the internet! )...but Wayne - when are you going to thrill me with some of those 4x5 shots?
Dave
I don't know if you will be thrilled, but here are links to some of my 4x5 photos.

Enchanted Rock

Zedler's Mills

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ven...oom+1.jpg.html

Thanks for asking.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 07-05-2009   #100
ruby.monkey

Velvia 50 meets Pentax 645N.

Old 07-05-2009   #101
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Be patient Keith, keep your eyes open while you're saving and eating noodles, and you will find MF deals. I've seen Hasselblad CM kits sell for $500. I just got a Rollei TLR for $80. An f3.5 Rollei is the Leica II/III of MF cameras, and a Hasselblad is like a Leica M. IMO, these are the most elegant MF cameras.

Hi Frank ... I was hoping you'd make an appearance in this thread. After all my first real (as in not Russian ) MF camera came from you quite a while ago when I swapped my M5 for the Bronica RF645 I now use and love! I notice the M5 has moved on to a couple of subsequent owners but the Bronica has stuck with me and continues to gain my respect and admiration with each roll of film I put through it. It's the camera that effectively opened up a different world for me and I would have to recommend the RF645 as a stepping stone into MF for anyone who's bored with puny 35mm negs!

I was making a list of all my gear last night and thinking very hard about what can possibly be flogged off to get into a Hasselblad system ... there's a couple of seldom used high value 35mm rangefinders that are on very shaky ground!

A couple more from the Bronica taken last week at my 'haunted farm!'

Last edited by Keith : 07-05-2009 at 15:16.

Old 07-05-2009   #102
Wayno

Great thread with lots of fantastic reasons to shoot medium format!

It looks like you made it to your farm by dawn Keith; must have been an early start! It looks like it was well and truly worth it judging by the great shots.

I've never used a Pentax 67, but there's certainly a lot of rubbish written about handholding mf cameras. I only put mine on a tripod when exposures are getting really slow.

Shiro Kuro, I really enjoyed your shots - they're just wonderful!

Old 07-05-2009   #103
vdonovan
Vince Donovan

Hi Jay, thanks for the compliment. I agree with the others that the portraits you posted are pure joy. I think shallow DOF plus the detail of medium format creates a nice puzzle for the eye.

I'm in New Zealand right now getting ready to shoot portraits of a local rugby team. I'll be sure to post some here when they are ready. (which won't be until I return to the states in August).

Vince Donovan
Portrait Photographer
San Francisco, CA

Old 07-05-2009   #104
Andrew Howes

yashicamat, mamiya c330, kowa super 66, mamiya rb67,mamiya c220, mamiya rz67, mamiya c220 again (with 65yummy)
then digital....................
some MF pinhole cameras got me back into MF
yashica 24, some folders, iskra (kind of working now, got a film in it!!!)
just resealed my new rb67 and ready to go with that

I might get pounced on for this, but 35mm, why bother at all? thats what digital is for. (YMMV, thats how it is for me) Actually I am going to try some 35mm 400 nc soon for a couple portrait session for that grainy look.

But yeah, film for me = medium or large format, but MF wins mostly because it has the convenience of 35 and better quality than what I currently get from digital.

Nice photos everyone!
here is one of the ones (scanned on v700 from rz67) that convinced me to search for another rb67 recently
oh stuff it its not working

Old 07-05-2009   #105
dazedgonebye

I'm coming to the conclusion, Goldilocks style, that medium format is where I need to be. I love my old folders, but I am really wanting a Mamiya 7.
Only problem is parting with some of my less used gear to get it.

Anyway...here are a couple from my Balda Baldax, a camera I will not be parted from.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 07-05-2009   #106
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

One of the things about the modern(ish) MF rangefinders is their ease of use IMO! Aside from a little extra weight my Bronica is no less user friendly for a day out shooting than any 35mm camera I own ... I would imagine a Mamiya 7 would be much the same deal!

Old 07-05-2009   #107
Erik L

love this thread. id share my pics but so far i dont have a scanner for it. I mostly shoot PANF, astia 100F and ektachrome EPP. i have a few rolls of Ektar im egar to try.

Old 07-05-2009   #108
Jay Decker
Meat Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
I love these portraits.
Thank you very much!

Jay

Old 07-05-2009   #109
benmacphoto

I enjoy shooting medium format, though I have not shoot with my Hasselblad in quite some time.

Hasselblad 500c 40mm Biogon

Even older...
Mamiya 645 AF 45mm

Mamiya 645 1000s 55mm Seiko

Website

Old 07-05-2009   #110
Jay Decker
Meat Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
Hi Jay, thanks for the compliment. I agree with the others that the portraits you posted are pure joy. I think shallow DOF plus the detail of medium format creates a nice puzzle for the eye.

I'm in New Zealand right now getting ready to shoot portraits of a local rugby team. I'll be sure to post some here when they are ready. (which won't be until I return to the states in August).
You are welcome. I agree with you about the shallow depth of field. The depth of field control available with MF helps me photograph how my mind's eye sees...

Rugby! I used to play rugby in college on into my thirties. The parties were outrageous and almost fun as playing. I hope that part has not changed! Have fun at the beer slides!

Ultra wide pano
Old 07-05-2009   #111
venchka

Cool Ultra wide pano

It's taken about a zillion attempts. Hugin finally managed to stich 3 frames together correctly. Just in time for this homage to medium format.

Greune Hall, Greune, TX. Oldest dance hall in Texas. 3 frames. Hugin stitched. Pentax 6x7, 45mm lens, HP5+, Gitzo and RRS BH-55. I'm not pleased with the post processing of the indiviual photos. However, Hugin refuses to process the corrected files. Software. Go figure.

You can follow this link and click the Full Size icon for a larger view.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ven...+Pano.jpg.html
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 07-05-2009   #112
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morca007 View Post
I don't want to clutter up the forum with an 'about to pull the trigger' thread, so I'll ask here.
I'm looking at a Kiev 60 with both a wlf and ttl prism finder and an arsat 80 for about $100 shipped (provided there isn't a last minute bidding frenzy), any opinions/warnings?
Well, the ones that work, often work, and the others, often do not.

Takes a skilled repairman to put them right, I had the diaphragm leaves put back in the 80mm in Prague. TTL prism finder is heavy, would rather use the WLF.

I shot with a Pentacon 6, again, reliability problems.

I have sent several back to Prague for reasonable service, had a Kiev 88 shutter replaced, shipped to Prague, then Ukraine, and back.

Lenses work on Mamiya 645 bodies with an adapter, which is the way I prefer to use my 30mm Fisheye.

$100? not too bad of a gamble, you will know with the first roll if it is working. I have one that is rebuilt which seems to be good.

John

Josef Sudek

Old 07-05-2009   #113
Morca007
Matt

Well, that one got away, but there are a few others for about $150 that are tempting me. I'm a bit intimidated by the reliability issues, but they seem to be just about the only mf slr in my price range.
Thank you for the advice.

Old 07-05-2009   #114
Dave Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsReallyDarren View Post
I wanted to see firsthand a MF film in person. I picked up a Yashica 124 at a camera show and loaded it with some Ilford XP2. At the time I didn't develop my own film so C-41 it was. I drove down to the bay and walked along the water. These were my first MF shots, I was hooked.

Nice shots Darren! - the Yashica and XP2 are a great combo!, BTW I thought there was only one person able to "walk along the water"
Dave.

Old 07-06-2009   #115
P C Headland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morca007 View Post
Well, that one got away, but there are a few others for about $150 that are tempting me. I'm a bit intimidated by the reliability issues, but they seem to be just about the only mf slr in my price range.
Thank you for the advice.
Keep looking, and you should be able to get a Bronica SQ-B or the older S2a for a similar price. Another option is a Kowa.

However, there is no reason why you can't get a decent, reliable Pentacon 6TL. Buy from a reputable seller, one that services them, (for example, cupog on ebay is usually good), and you should be set.

Flickr -- Minus

Old 07-06-2009   #116
Dave Wilkinson

Quote:
I don't know if you will be thrilled, but here are links to some of my 4x5 photos.

Enchanted Rock

Zedler's Mills

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ven...oom+1.jpg.html

Thanks for asking.
thanks for the link Wayne!...nice work! - BTW I was'nt being facetious!
Dave.

Old 07-06-2009   #117
sebastian toombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
What about an Arax? It's a custom "refurbed" Kiev. They basically fix all the things that are wrong with them as they come from the factory.

http://www.araxphoto.com/

seconded! this is how i got into MF. the arax 60 also has an added mirror lock up feature, which is handy... some of the carl zeiss jena lenses are really, really good.

Old 07-06-2009   #118
gian

hasselblad 503cw, cfe80mm

scan of darkroom prints 20/20cm

I knew you weren't
Old 07-06-2009   #119
venchka

Cool I knew you weren't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wilkinson View Post
thanks for the link Wayne!...nice work! - BTW I was'nt being facetious!
Dave.
Thanks Dave. I'm very hard on myself and I never know what other folks fancy.

I try hard and do my best.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 07-06-2009   #120
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by gian View Post
hasselblad 503cw, cfe80mm

scan of darkroom prints 20/20cm

My goodness, you should open a class or workshop on B&W printing in Swiss. I'll sign up