Australian chemistry supplier, compiling a list
Old 04-16-2017   #1
PunkFunkDunk

Australian chemistry supplier, compiling a list

To all Aussie RFF members keen to share knowledge, I'm hoping to compile a list of current local B&W chemistry suppliers.

I've returned to shooting film after a long absence (work, kids, the usual life stuff) and I'm worried to discover only two suppliers: Vanbar and Photo Resource, both in Victoria. Geez, I guess I (and others) didn't shop at Vanbar's old Sydney store enough! Though I have them plenty of business back in the period 1999-2005 when I shot hundreds of rolls per year.

I've been buying film online via B&H, cheap relative to Oz retail from anyone that still cares to sell silver emulsions. So that doesn't concern me. But after buying a Leica M2 and servicing my Mamiya C330f and Canon F-1 systems - and having some fun reacquainting myself with those tanks! - I'm now at the point of needing to re-establish my home darkroom and just discovered that US suppliers are not allow to ship chemistry by air. I have no probs ordering from Vanbar of course, but would love to know who else is out there, especially any Sydney suppliers or importers.

Any tips most welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-16-2017   #2
Johnmcd

Hi,

I nearly exclusively use http://blanconegro.com.au/

Chris is a true gentleman and expert darkroom technician. The only problem is that Foma products don't cater for a fast film I can push, nor the chemicals.

So I also get Microphen (powder) for pushing from http://www.photoresource.com.au/Default.asp

In the past all film was from B&H. Now for 35mm it is Foma 200 or 100 (in Foma LQN) for daylight stuff and I've still got 3 x 45m of Kodak Hawkeye B/W surveillance film for pushing nicely to 800 iso (in micophen).

For medium format, Foma films again or off to B&H...

Hope this helps.

Cheers - John

Zeiss Ikon ZM, Leica R8 50, 60
Leica M3, M4
21, 35, 50, Ind 61, Jup 9
OM2/1 plus 24, 28, 50, 50, 100, 70-150, 300
www.johnmcd.zenfolio.com/

Old 04-16-2017   #3
michaelwj
----------------

I'll second what John said, and if you're in Sydney it's a no brainier. I've also been picking up some film from Walkens in Melbourne, and I have used Black and White Photographics in Adelaide for colour processing, A$7.95/roll can't be beat.
As far as I've found, Brisbane is a wasteland as far and film stockists goes...

Old 04-16-2017   #4
PunkFunkDunk

Thank you gentlemen. Yes, I forgot to mention I'm aware of Blanco Negro, in fact having used their darkroom in the previous Surry Hills space maybe a decade ago. Perhaps I'll get over my prejudice and use Foma products. But like a drug addict, I just gotta get my fix of Tri-X and D-76. Buy at $6 per roll of Foma 100 with a full suite of chemicals on offer, might have to go Czech!

Old 04-16-2017   #5
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
Thank you gentlemen. Yes, I forgot to mention I'm aware of Blanco Negro, in fact having used their darkroom in the previous Surry Hills space maybe a decade ago. Perhaps I'll get over my prejudice and use Foma products. But like a drug addict, I just gotta get my fix of Tri-X and D-76. Buy at $6 per roll of Foma 100 with a full suite of chemicals on offer, might have to go Czech!

You can use their chemicals with other films you know, you don't have to go full Czech!

Old 04-16-2017   #6
Johnmcd

I used to only use Ilford product FP4 or HP5 but I really like the Foma 200 and now the 100 iso.

All Foma 100 - http://johnmcd.zenfolio.com/p8513352...4804#h87e14948

All Foma 200 - http://johnmcd.zenfolio.com/p1518759...db05#h4d5bdb05

I might be imagining it but they seem to have a real glow to them. All developed in Foma LQN.

Cheers - John

Zeiss Ikon ZM, Leica R8 50, 60
Leica M3, M4
21, 35, 50, Ind 61, Jup 9
OM2/1 plus 24, 28, 50, 50, 100, 70-150, 300
www.johnmcd.zenfolio.com/

Old 04-16-2017   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Who is the nice old guy who runs his business from home, Ken something? He was really helpful when I started out and very friendly.

Old 04-16-2017   #8
skibeerr

I buy chemistry in powder from B&H, has been one year since last lot, have the rules changed?

Wim

Old 04-17-2017   #9
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Who is the nice old guy who runs his business from home, Ken something? He was really helpful when I started out and very friendly.
Les Porter, perhaps, Keith?
I don't think his website is live, currently, so I'm not sure what the status of his business is at present.
Cheers
Brett

Old 04-17-2017   #10
PunkFunkDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmcd View Post
I used to only use Ilford product FP4 or HP5 but I really like the Foma 200 and now the 100 iso.

All Foma 100 - http://johnmcd.zenfolio.com/p8513352...4804#h87e14948

All Foma 200 - http://johnmcd.zenfolio.com/p1518759...db05#h4d5bdb05

I might be imagining it but they seem to have a real glow to them. All developed in Foma LQN.

Cheers - John

Thanks John. Foma looks good. Though I'm a bit rusty in my discriminatory powers! No doubt when I start scanning some old sheets of mine - including stock sadly discontinued now like Plus-X and Agfa 100 - I'll be able to better deduce if I can love Foma (or at least flirt with her) like I did Tri-X and Plus-X. I'll pick up half a dozen Foma from Chris next week.

Old 04-17-2017   #11
PunkFunkDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibeerr View Post
I buy chemistry in powder from B&H, has been one year since last lot, have the rules changed?

Wim

Various threads suggest that, including one on RFF. They say limited to ground transport even in the US. But, he'll, I've not even tried placing an order! Will give it a go soon. I know Freestyle have a shopping notice saying no international orders on chemistry, so that's not a good sign.

Old 04-17-2017   #12
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Les Porter, perhaps, Keith?
I don't think his website is live, currently, so I'm not sure what the status of his business is at present.
Cheers
Brett

That's him ... not sure where I got Ken from?

He may have retired I guess ... very helpful man and I hope he is still up and running.

Old 04-17-2017   #13
skibeerr

Although it's Passover and I can not complete the process X-tol and D-76 at B&H still gives a quote for shipping to OZ. Liquid chemistry is shop pick up only.

Old 04-17-2017   #14
skibeerr

Vanbar in Fitzroy has stock in chemicals and paper although none of it is fresh, I have not seen any rotation in about 4 years.

Old 04-17-2017   #15
PunkFunkDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibeerr View Post
Vanbar in Fitzroy has stock in chemicals and paper although none of it is fresh, I have not seen any rotation in about 4 years.

That's not encouraging. Makes me think I'll have to call them before placing an online order. Don't want near expired stuff.

I just realised Digital Camera Warehouse Sydney CBD store says it stocks the main Ilford chemistry. ID-11 will do me fine. I will check out their stock in person next time I'm there, but wouldn't be surprised if it's just listed on the website but no actual stock. We shall see.

Old 04-17-2017   #16
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkFunkDunk View Post
That's not encouraging. Makes me think I'll have to call them before placing an online order. Don't want near expired stuff.

I just realised Digital Camera Warehouse Sydney CBD store says it stocks the main Ilford chemistry. ID-11 will do me fine. I will check out their stock in person next time I'm there, but wouldn't be surprised if it's just listed on the website but no actual stock. We shall see.

If you're after Ilford products, the "official" importers are CR Kennedy. Give them a call and see who stocks it or who can order it. Easy.

Old 04-17-2017   #17
PunkFunkDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
If you're after Ilford products, the "official" importers are CR Kennedy. Give them a call and see who stocks it or who can order it. Easy.

Awesome! Thanks mate. Will do.

Old 04-19-2017   #18
- ASH -

If you are in Brisbane, Fotofast in Taringa stock a variety of black and white chemicals, and also now have other developing supplies (daylight tanks etc). Just a heads up, if you are buying liquid chemicals, as opposed to powders, check the expiry dates, as they have had old batches delivered to the from their suppliers, which I have ended up with in the past.

Old 04-19-2017   #19
HHPhoto

www.fotoimpex.de
is generally shipping worldwide.
Maybe that could be an option for you in downunder as well......

Cheers, Jan

Old 04-19-2017   #20
PKR

Will B&H ship via surface (ships cargo)? Is a wait but maybe a method that will work.

Old 04-19-2017   #21
coogee

Rewind Photo Lab in Glebe, Sydney appear to stock developer and Dev only is $7.50 a roll. E6/C41/BW.
Otherwise I've used Vanbar for chemistry but any alternatives are very welcome.

Old 04-19-2017   #22
coogee

I don't think B&H ship liquid chemistry full stop any more. I hate buying film from them but the cost difference is still so significant.

Old 04-21-2017   #23
Perks

I have had happy transactions with this bloke, on ebay and then with more recently with his shop. Film prices are very competitive with ebay and b&h, espec with ilford bulk loads, and he's local. (No affiliation, promise)
I haven't actually bought chemicals from him but he sells them. https://www.thefilmbloke.com.au/

Also, as for Vanbar, i have bought chemicals from them obmver the past two years and haven't noticed anything out of date. I got a phone quote on xtol (interestibgly the best price i could find) and am planning on picking that up this weekend, will cast an eye over the goods and report back.

Also Michaels in Melbourne CBD still sells the essentials, D76, rodinal ( adox, from memory) and illford fixer and stop - for a small premium.

I buy local when I can. I do like supporting the brick and mortar shops when possible.

Enjoy getting back to film it's a lot of fun DIY.

Old 04-21-2017   #24
PunkFunkDunk

Thanks guys. I'll try both Rewind in Glebe and The Film Bloke (how very Australian). Cheers.