Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Help / Feedback forum

Help / Feedback forum This area should address site improvements and help with the forum.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #41
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
Odd, if Viglink does not take the reader to an interstitial ad page, what is it supposed to do?

Surely it has to do something related to ads? It is not just counting.
its supposed to work totally in the background invisibly,
taking the link to its intended target
monetizing that link (say to amazon) if something is bought,
without ever bringing anyone to the Viglink site (which is not the intent)

Stephen

Opt Out
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #42
willie_901

Opt Out

http://www.viglink.com/opt-out/

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #43
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Have you tried this?

I have several times and it does nothing for my issues. Win 8.1 IE 11.0.4.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #44
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

On my Macbook, Safari and Opera are fine, but the same links opened in Firefox or Chrome I get those horrendous Viglink redirects. I can't imagine how this extremely obtrusive redirecting could increase the popularity of the sites through which these go. For me it's a signal to never order anything from them ever again.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #45
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
its supposed to work totally in the background invisibly,
taking the link to its intended target
monetizing that link (say to amazon) if something is bought,
without ever bringing anyone to the Viglink site (which is not the intent)

Stephen
So, just as a demo, I post a link "Buy your D7200 here" LINK TO D7200 AT AMAZON

Just a demo. Click on the link, should go to Amazon. If to VigLink, then something is very broken.

Ctrl-click on the link, copy link address, then paste into a text editor. I expect you'll see:
- Safari, Mac, no Java: Nothing unusual, just an Amazon URL
- Most anything else with Java: You'll see a VigLink redirect

In Classifieds Now:
Rollei Panoramakopf (Pano head)
Kiev 88 TTL Metered Prism (working!) and Mamiya C Flash Bracket
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #46
BLKRCAT
100% Film

its a tracker. I see it all the time using ghostery.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #47
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSebastianMoran View Post
Click on the link, should go to Amazon. If to VigLink, then something is very broken.
Works fine now. Several browsers and configurations.

Quote:
Ctrl-click on the link, copy link address, then paste into a text editor. I expect you'll see:
- Safari, Mac, no Java: Nothing unusual, just an Amazon URL
- Most anything else with Java: You'll see a VigLink redirect
- Safari, Mac, no Java: I see a normal URL
- Mac, Firefox, with Java: I see a VigLink redirect that is working right. Clicking takes me to the site with no visible intermediary.

In Classifieds Now:

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #48
Mr. Fizzlesticks

Safari with Adware and Ghostery enabled. No problems for me. It shows up in the Ghostery window as blocked.

Kind of sad that everyone wants a piece of your brain (and your privacy) these days. Google knows more about you than your wife.....

It is not the camera in your hand dingleberry; it is the brain in your head.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #49
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fizzlesticks View Post
Safari with Adware and Ghostery enabled. No problems for me. It shows up in the Ghostery window as blocked.

Kind of sad that everyone wants a piece of your brain (and your privacy) these days. Google knows more about you than your wife.....
As usual, it's all about $$

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #50
BLKRCAT
100% Film

of course. They just want to collect your data for free so they know what ads to show you or to sell the data to the highest bidder.

I wouldn't be suprised if RFF had some sort of tracking built in to watch its users and sell off the information for extra revenue. Its just the name of the game these days.

Privacy is only a facade.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #51
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
of course. They just want to collect your data for free so they know what ads to show you or to sell the data to the highest bidder.

I wouldn't be suprised if RFF had some sort of tracking built in to watch its users and sell off the information for extra revenue. Its just the name of the game these days.

Not necessarily: IronKey, Private (not USN) TOR systems, VPL Tunneling. I'm no expert but, I think there are some on here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #52
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post

Nope. RFF does not track users, nor sell user information.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #53
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Nope. RFF does not track users, nor sell user information.
Sorry to see you going through this bs. I think some on here think "stuff" is going on.. that's not going on. Thanks for the forum.

pkr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #54
ColSebastianMoran

My apologies for getting interested in the tech aspects of this.

Here's my summary of the more important overall considerations:

- No problem that VigLink is being used here when it works right. If someone buys at Amazon or B&H as a result of a link posted here, I think it's fine for RFF to get a small commission. Especially because VigLink is transparent when working right, it's a small JavaScript script on each RFF page, works in the user's browser to transform links. All that is OK.

- The issue with all these mechanisms is that sometimes they don't work right. The issues that began this thread for example (link is supposed to take you to a site, instead it goes to a VigLink sales page). And, reports that the opt-out doesn't work. OK, those are minor inconvenience, easily forgiven.

- VigLink seems in my tests (on Mac only) to depend on Java. Explains why some of us see the redirects, some don't. But... Big But... NO ONE should have Java installed on their machines. Java and Flash are the biggest security risks on the internet. (JavaScript is different, it's OK.). Stephen, I think you are missing revenue if VigLink depends upon Java on Windows as well.

- More concerning are the reports one can find on Google, but not reported here, that some have found themselves with a VigLink browser extension they didn't want, and that it's hard to remove. We are counting on the sites we visit to use good due diligence to be sure the widgets they use are not harmful to us.

Once again, Stephen, thank you for RFF. It is one of the most enjoyable and beneficial sites I've found in 20 years on the net.

In Classifieds Now:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #55
PKR

Quote:
My apologies for getting interested in the tech aspects of this.

Here's my summary of the more important overall considerations:

- No problem that VigLink is being used here when it works right. If someone buys at Amazon or B&H as a result of a link posted here, I think it's fine for RFF to get a small commission. Especially because VigLink is transparent when working right, it's a small JavaScript script on each RFF page, works in the user's browser to transform links. All that is OK.

- The issue with all these mechanisms is that sometimes they don't work right. The issues that began this thread for example (link is supposed to take you to a site, instead it goes to a VigLink sales page). And, reports that the opt-out doesn't work. OK, those are minor inconvenience, easily forgiven.

- VigLink seems in my tests (on Mac only) to depend on Java. Explains why some of us see the redirects, some don't. But... Big But... NO ONE should have Java installed on their machines. Java and Flash are the biggest security risks on the internet. (JavaScript is different, it's OK.). Stephen, I think you are missing revenue if VigLink depends upon Java on Windows as well.

- More concerning are the reports one can find on Google, but not reported here, that some have found themselves with a VigLink browser extension they didn't want, and that it's hard to remove. We are counting on the sites we visit to use good due diligence to be sure the widgets they use are not harmful to us.

Once again, Stephen, thank you for RFF. It is one of the most enjoyable and beneficial sites I've found in 20 years on the net.
Col. My comment wasn't directed to you. You are one of the few who understand what's going on. I have a friend who codes java for a living. I'm hoping to ask him about this situation.

I have viglink files on my C drive I can't remove. A friend who has the same problem doesn't visit this site. He has no photo interest. He picked up his Viglink bs else where.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #56
maddoc
... likes film.

Interesting. I use Win10 / Firefox 50.0.2 (32 bit) with NoScript 5.0.2 and viglink.com shows up (not blocked) but PrivacyBadger (tracker blocking ad-on) does not detect it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fizzlesticks View Post

flickr
pBase

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #57
Popey

Interesting - I came across the Viglink problem on the Leica User forum. I installed a plugin to Safari called Ka-block and this seems to have cured the problem.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #58
ColSebastianMoran

It appears, from Stephen's comments and my observations, that when it's working right, VigLink will be invisible, and will be hard to notice.

I do find that there are different implementations of VigLink. With my usual configuration (Mac, Safari, the Blur tracker-blocker, JavaScript, NO Flash, and NO Java):
- There is no redirect of links on RFF; redirects only appear if I enable Java
- But, I can easily find other sites where the redirect is happening without Java, and the redirects are visible just by hovering over a link. Here's an example.

Finally, it's obvious in comments here and on other sites that something was seriously broken with VigLink over the weekend. (Links here took people to a VigLink shopping page instead of to intended destination.)

One more: My software says there are no trackers on RFF other than VigLink.

In Classifieds Now:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #59
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popey View Post
Interesting - I came across the Viglink problem on the Leica User forum. I installed a plugin to Safari called Ka-block and this seems to have cured the problem.

What is 'the problem' to which you refer, exactly? The problem where redirects are bringing up the incorrect page?

Viglink itself when it is working correctly is not a 'problem' per se, and there is no reason to block it.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #60
PKR

Quote:
It appears, from Stephen's comments and my observations, that when it's working right, VigLink will be invisible, and will be hard to notice.

I do find that there are different implementations of VigLink. With my usual configuration (Mac, Safari, the Blur tracker-blocker, JavaScript, NO Flash, and NO Java):
- There is no redirect of links on RFF; redirects only appear if I enable Java
- But, I can easily find other sites where the redirect is happening without Java, and the redirects are visible just by hovering over a link. Here's an example.

Finally, it's obvious in comments here and on other sites that something was seriously broken with VigLink over the weekend. (Links here took people to a VigLink shopping page instead of to intended destination.)

One more: My software says there are no trackers on RFF other than VigLink.
No Java on my box. Redirects are very slow..very slow, but now only going to directed page, not Viglink's marketing page.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #61
Popey

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
What is 'the problem' to which you refer, exactly? The problem where redirects are bringing up the incorrect page?

Viglink itself when it is working correctly is not a 'problem' per se, and there is no reason to block it.
In one instance, I clicked on an ad for a specific camera / lens combination being advertised and was redirected to a Viglink shop which was related to photography. A second attempt brought up ads for women's clothing!

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #62
PKR

Quote:
In one instance, I clicked on an ad for a specific camera / lens combination being advertised and was redirected to a Viglink shop which was related to photography. A second attempt brought up ads for women's clothing!
You would think the Viglink bots would redirect to a page of interest... cameras for cameras, etc. Maybe they are broken in more than their redirect engine? If I'm being redirected to BS, please redirect to interesting BS.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #63
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
Have you tried this?

I have several times and it does nothing for my issues. Win 8.1 IE 11.0.4.
It works for OS X and iOS with Safari. I also have Flash and Java/Javascript disabled. I am willing to forgo any content requiring Flash and, or Java/Javascript to minimize inconvenience and risk. Flash in particular is evil whether it's related to VIglink or not.

Link hovering reveals noting.

The last time I used Windows and IE was in 1999. I have zero relevant experience with Windows and IE. It may be the opt out option only works with the most current versions.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #64
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
You would think the Viglink bots would redirect to a page of interest... cameras for cameras, etc. Maybe they are broken in more than their redirect engine? If I'm being redirected to BS, please redirect to interesting BS.
I can only believe that something was seriously broken that day. No one has that as an intended behavior.

VigLink was broken? Or perhaps, some change or incompatibility at RFF, quickly rectified. But, something was broken that day.

In Classifieds Now:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #65
jszokoli

As a side note to this, I did see these redirects on Chrome, and at the very bottom on the right was a little link that would take you where you really wanted to go...

Joe

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #66
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
It works for OS X and iOS with Safari. I also have Flash and Java/Javascript disabled. I am willing to forgo any content requiring Flash and, or Java/Javascript to minimize inconvenience and risk. Flash in particular is evil whether it's related to VIglink or not.

Link hovering reveals noting.

The last time I used Windows and IE was in 1999. I have zero relevant experience with Windows and IE. It may be the opt out option only works with the most current versions.
I'm a tech guy. In my opinion:

1. No one should have Flash today. No one should have Java. Both are constant security train-wrecks. (JavaScript is OK by me.)

2. VigLink is complicated, there are multiple options, each site using VigLink may show different behaviors. RFF inserts a harmless JavaScript in each page which draws further code from VigLink. It may be different VigLink code for different user configurations, different code for different sites.

3. We've noted that user experiences differ, for this site and for other sites. I think it'll be hopeless to keep comparing notes, trying to figure this out, because each user and each site may have different user experience. Trying to figure this out would be:

4. I think VigLink here is harmless, but do request Stephen and his tech gurus to keep an eye on things, that's a responsibility for all web site operators. It's bad for all if a site's widgets cause damage to user computers.

5. Stephen's assurances (no tracking, no selling user data) are much appreciated.

Thank you again for RFF! Don't we all agree this is a wonderful photo site?

-- the Colonel

In Classifieds Now:

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #67
splitimageview

Quote:
Something is up with the implementation or config as viglink use should be invisible to forum users

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #68
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Just happened to me. Followed the link at new thread and was viglinked!
I never seen it at another forums only at RFF. Plus, for sometime periodically I can't get to RFF page. Getting service page instead with explanation where it is broken.

RFF is due to CLA, I guess.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #69
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I never seen it at another forums only at RFF. Plus, for sometime periodically I can't get to RFF page. Getting service page instead with explanation where it is broken.

RFF has been inaccessible for me multiple times during the last month, and ForumRunner has been broken on and off as well. Not sure why, but sh*t happens, I understand.

I feel the Viglink issue is unacceptable, however. It's been a week and nothing changed. Makes me consider to stop using RFF alltogether.

Roland.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #70
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Just went through connection break few minutes ago.
It is saying Error 531. Reporting my browser OK, Newark cloud OK, Rangefinderforum host - Error.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #71
willie_901

Quote:
I'm a tech guy. In my opinion:

1. No one should have Flash today. No one should have Java. Both are constant security train-wrecks. (JavaScript is OK by me.)
Agreed.

Quote:
2. VigLink is complicated, there are multiple options, each site using VigLink may show different behaviors. RFF inserts a harmless JavaScript in each page which draws further code from VigLink. It may be different VigLink code for different user configurations, different code for different sites.
This is true. The possible combinations of OS versions and browser configurations is staggering. The VigLink opt-out link may not work for many configurations and be robust for others. I have never seen VigLink and others are plagued with it.

As far as I know, VigLink is integrated into Tapatalk. This could be part, but only part, of the issue.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #72
Michael Markey

Quote:
Just went through connection break few minutes ago.
It is saying Error 531. Reporting my browser OK, Newark cloud OK, Rangefinderforum host - Error.

I`ve been getting that on and off for the past three weeks.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #73
Ranchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
I`ve been getting that on and off for the past three weeks.
Same here, though I've had no viglink problems. I assumed the site was being worked on or something...

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #74
PKR

Quote:

Many are using it. PetaPixel for example.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #75
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Folks,

There seems to be some confusion here about what is happening with Viglink. I contacted Viglink tech support. SFAIK, all issues are currently fixed so far as clicking a link and landing at the Viglink site instead of at the intended link. IF that is still happening at all, post the link here along with the IOS and browser you are using for Viglink to take a look at it.

We have been having database problems at RFF lately courtesy of our old VBullitin software. That resulted in the site being down, or searches not functioning. For the moment, that too has been fixed. We are indeed working on new site software in the back ground, but its not ready for prime time yet with all the bells and whistles that RFF members want.

My point is not to confuse Viglink problems with database problems,
as they are NOT related in any way.

Best,
Stephen

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #76
Michael Markey

Thank you for the update Stephen

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #77
robert blu
quiet photographer

Thanks for the info Stephen and thanks one more time for RFF!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #78
PKR

Windows users.. here's a serious problem. Watch for MS patches.

https://theintercept.com/2017/04/14/...und-the-world/

This is just posted as info. Please don't turn this into a Win vs Mac vs Linux thread. The post is a little off topic, but not completely.

Thanks, pkr

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #79
plummerl

Quote:
Windows users.. here's a serious problem. Watch for MS patches.

https://theintercept.com/2017/04/14/...und-the-world/

This is just posted as info. Please don't turn this into a Win vs Mac vs Linux thread. The post is a little off topic, but not completely.

Thanks, pkr
I find it amusing that the two pictures that are shown of "the threat" are showing the software on the standard desktop of 16 year old Win XP.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #80
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummerl View Post
I find it amusing that the two pictures that are shown of "the threat" are showing the software on the standard desktop of 16 year old Win XP.
The machines may have been lab machines. I don't know, but trust the threat Is real.

https://twitter.com/Snowden?ref_src=...ret-arsenal%2F