Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Olympus 35 SPN wiring
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
callumross

Post Olympus 35 SPN wiring

Hello all,

Does anyone have any information at all which could help me rewire my Olympus 35 SPN? Be it a wiring diagram, repair manual, best would be a picture showing inside the top of the camera where all the wires connect onto the little PCB.

I bought mine very cheaply last year and when removing the top to sort out other issues a few of the wires simply fell off their soldering points, which were probably very brittle due to age. I have absolutely no idea where to solder them back onto. The way I currently have it I cannot get the battery check light to work and the spot meter works backwards (spot meter on constantly, switches to centre-weighted when you press the button). Besides this the meter reads a good few EVs less than it should.

I would be extremely grateful for any help, as this is frustrating me enormously. I cannot find any help regarding the SPN specifically, and the little documentation on the SP that there is is unhelpful in regards to wiring.

Thank you very much in advance.

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
duckmcf

Hi callumross,
I've been down this rabbit hole a few times and the only diagram I've ever been able to stumble across is this one. I have no idea how accurate it is, or who drafted it, and even though it's for the 35SP (not the SPN) it might point you in the right direction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light meter.jpg (16.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
callumross

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmcf View Post
Hi callumross,
I've been down this rabbit hole a few times and the only diagram I've ever been able to stumble across is this one. I have no idea how accurate it is, or who drafted it, and even though it's for the 35SP (not the SPN) it might point you in the right direction.
Thanks, it should at least help me fix the backwards spot-meter button. Are you also in possession of an SPN or just an SP?

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
kuzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by callumross View Post
Thanks, it should at least help me fix the backwards spot-meter button. Are you also in possession of an SPN or just an SP?
I don't know if this will help. There was a time when John Hermanson of Zuiko.com was CLA ing Olympus rangefinders. Over time he has dropped all the rangefinder CLA work including the XA series. He still does do the OM SLR's as far as I know.

However, he should have some old stuff or people connections for your SP. He posts here occasionally and I would contact him. His contact info is on his site at Zuiko.com.???

Good Luck.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
callumross

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
I don't know if this will help. There was a time when John Hermanson of Zuiko.com was CLA ing Olympus rangefinders. Over time he has dropped all the rangefinder CLA work including the XA series. He still does do the OM SLR's as far as I know.

However, he should have some old stuff or people connections for your SP. He posts here occasionally and I would contact him. His contact info is on his site at Zuiko.com.???

Good Luck.
I've already been in contact with him actually. He says he doesn't have manuals or diagrams for the 35 SP(N), but uses his knowledge from factory training.

As a last hope I was going to send him a top-view picture of the inside of my SPN and ask if he could kindly explain what is wrong with my current wiring and how to fix it. It should be a very simple matter of soldering 1 or 2 wires but at the same time I know he earns money from his knowledge and experience so I wouldn't want to be too presumptuous.

Cheers

Old 1 Week Ago   #6
Frontman

I can send you a photo of the wiring if you need it, I happen to be working on an SP today.

Old 1 Week Ago   #7
callumross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
I can send you a photo of the wiring if you need it, I happen to be working on an SP today.
If you could that would be great thank you. I wish I owned the standard SP as it would make repairs a lot easier.

Old 1 Week Ago   #8
Beemermark

I have a sp parts camera listed in the classifieds. RF no good but the wiring should be fine.

Old 1 Week Ago   #9
callumross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
I have a sp parts camera listed in the classifieds. RF no good but the wiring should be fine.
I'm in the UK, I imagine postage may be rather expensive? And also I'd quite like to keep mine as an SPN, I think your price is in line with what they go for nowadays but it's still alot more than I paid for my mostly working SPN. What do you mean by 'RF no good' out of interest? The difficulty in buying parts SPs SPNs generally arises from the fact that they're all fixable, so not worth using as a donor body.

As an aside I don't think the ASA dial on your working SP is as bad as it looks, as there ought to be a screw in the centre which would cover the scratches anyway.