Old 12-03-2006   #41
BillBingham2

Very well done indeed. Like Tirus, attornies come with a high price tag. The M5 is just too different to go with the "had it for years" line.

Does not stop one from lusting though, look don't buy, look don't buy......

B2 (;->

Old 12-24-2008   #42
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Just today bought mine for only EUR 300.00 from a fellow Dutchman. Will be mailed out to me after X-mas. It is a 129xxx number, so I'm curious about the 'shutter drum' issue, since I have no idea what this issue is, and how costly it can turn out!?

I'm close to my favorite Tommy Oshima kit: An M5, M-Hexanon 50mm 1.2 and Kodak E100G is the best I can do, as opposed to his Leica M5, with Noctilux 1.0 and Kodachrome 100.

Trouble is, I'm in with the One camera One lens Challenge, so will have to refrain from using it until that's over...

Welcome!
Old 12-24-2008   #43
venchka

Cool Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLE-RF View Post

Trouble is, I'm in with the One camera One lens Challenge, so will have to refrain from using it until that's over...
It would be silly not to use a new M5 the very day you get it.

So switch to the M5 for the 1 lens/1 camera project.
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 12-24-2008   #44
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Just today bought mine for only EUR 300.00 from a fellow Dutchman. Will be mailed out to me after X-mas. It is a 129xxx number, so I'm curious about the 'shutter drum' issue, since I have no idea what this issue is, and how costly it can turn out!?

I'm close to my favorite Tommy Oshima kit: An M5, M-Hexanon 50mm 1.2 and Kodak E100G is the best I can do, as opposed to his Leica M5, with Noctilux 1.0 and Kodachrome 100.

The M5 is great and for the heavy Noctilux it is a match like in heaven ! BTW, Tommy Oshima has switched to a Konica Hexar RF to use with his Noctilux since some time now...

flickr
pBase

Old 12-25-2008   #45
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

Quote:

That's a great price Johan. You'll love the camera. The M5 is a wonderful camera, with extras you don't get with the other Ms. Congratulations!

Old 12-25-2008   #46
Vincenzo Maielli

The Leica M6 have a more modern SBC cell, while the M5 have a CDS cell: but if you learn to use correctly the CDS cell, the Leica M5 is very nice to use. Moreover, the finder of the M5 is slightly better than finder of the M6. I own a Leica M5 and i remained literally bewitched. The quality body construction is very high, the exposure system is very useful and robust, the battery problem is easily solvable by a MR9 battery adapter.
Ciao.
Vincenzo

Old 12-29-2008   #47
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
...BTW, Tommy Oshima has switched to a Konica Hexar RF to use with his Noctilux since some time now...
You don't say! I have once held and looked through a Hexar RF and was greatly disappointed. I LOVE the Hexanon glass, but the combination of the narrow viewfinder and the whirring motor was too much to take from the Hexar RF.

I might have considered (due to shooting a Minolta CLE with same size viewfinder back then) if a mod had been available to stall the transport (by using a button to cut the electric circuit, for instance, transport only engages if button is released), but the combination of the two was too much for me.

I wonder how Oshima focusses the Noctilux on an .60 finder... My combo will be a Hexanon 50mm 1.2 with the M5 and already I'm worrying about focus since I normally shoot M3's...

Camera will probably ship today and I will then receive by Wednesday, possibly Friday...

Oh, I'll know then, not to worry

Old 12-29-2008   #48
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Maielli View Post
The Leica M6 have a more modern SBC cell, while the M5 have a CDS cell: but if you learn to use correctly the CDS cell, the Leica M5 is very nice to use. Moreover, the finder of the M5 is slightly better than finder of the M6. I own a Leica M5 and i remained literally bewitched. The quality body construction is very high, the exposure system is very useful and robust, the battery problem is easily solvable by a MR9 battery adapter.
Ciao.
Vincenzo

You're making me smile, no even GRIN, totally ready to go out with the camera after reading this!

Old 12-29-2008   #49
P. Lynn Miller

The Leica M5 is the best M ever. And with a large lens such as the Nokton 35/1.2 it is perfectly balanced.

Congratulations on the new for you M5.

Edit - OK, I may not have an objective point of view!

P. Lynn Miller
Sydney, Australia

I have one of those Flickr thingy's...

Last edited by P. Lynn Miller : 12-29-2008 at 01:04.

Old 12-29-2008   #50
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
I wonder how Oshima focusses the Noctilux on an .60 finder... My combo will be a Hexanon 50mm 1.2 with the M5 and already I'm worrying about focus since I normally shoot M3's...
Focus is no big problem with the Hexar RF / Noctilux @ f/1.0. The RF patch has quite some contrast:

But I agree, nothing better than a M3 for fast 50mm lenses . BTW, the M5 meter is limited to f/1.4 (or 1.2 ?) and using a larger aperture while metering can give wrong values.

flickr
pBase

Old 12-29-2008   #51
Nokton48

I bought a chrome beater from the Netherlands for $530 about a year ago #136XXX. I like to use mine with the Canon 50mm F1.2 and 85mm F1.5 and it's perfect to use with such big lenses. A great matchup, and I love the built-in meter. After close to a hundred rolls, I know I'll be keeping it. Great complement to my M2.

Last edited by Nokton48 : 12-29-2008 at 14:21.

Old 12-29-2008   #52
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I bought a chrome beater from the Netherlands for $530 about a year ago #136XXX. I like to use mine with the Canon 50mm F1.2 and 85mm F1.5 and it's perfect to use with such big lenses. A great matchup, and I love the built-in meter. After close to a hundred rolls, I know I'll be keeping it. Great compliment to my M2.
Hihi, you mean great complIment for the M5 and great complEment to the M2...
The M5 is a terrific camera and I can imagine it goes well with the BIG lenses. A Canon 0.95 50mm would be a perfect match.

Old 12-29-2008   #53
J J Kapsberger

Quote:
...the M5 meter is limited to f/1.4 (or 1.2 ?) and using a larger aperture while metering can give wrong values.
Interesting. Source?

My Flickr space

Old 12-29-2008   #54
Platinum RF

I do not like M5 for the follwing reasons:
It is big
It has out of date and unreliable Cds photo cells
it is not M looking camera
M6 is the better choice.

Old 12-29-2008   #55
J J Kapsberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum RF View Post
It is big
M6 is the better choice.
Wrong.
Totally wrong, as my own low-light shooting with the M5 shows me.
Correct. It looks better (far sexier).
Why? The M5's built the classic old fashioned Wetzlar way--i.e., better than the M6. Leica admitted no compromises that plague the M6: the M5 has the flare-free RF patch; the M5 doesn't have the M6's zinc cover plate. And, it has a self-timer.

My Flickr space

Old 12-29-2008   #56
Carlos Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J J Kapsberger View Post
Wrong.
Why? The M5's built the classic old fashioned Wetzlar way--i.e., better than the M6. Leica admitted no compromises that plague the M6: the M5 has the flare-free RF patch; the M5 doesn't have the M6's zinc cover plate. And, it has a self-timer.
Don't tell them it's a secret

Proud to own a m5
thanks Huubl

Old 12-29-2008   #57
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz View Post
Don't tell them it's a secret

Proud to own a m5
thanks Huubl
Hi Karol, how is the M5 doing? Got lenses for it? Did you find someone to fit a third lug?
Greetings
Huub

Old 12-29-2008   #58
Carlos Cruz

It's purrfect no need for 3rd lug I learnt to live with it hanging vertically, right now using my canon lenses 35/2 and it still is my dream machine not bad for 30+ camera with unreliable metering and awful design

Old 12-29-2008   #59
awilder

Sorry to be a wet blanket but the choice I had to make was between a freshly serviced M5 by expert Sherry Krauter and my MP. I kept the MP and sold the M5 despite having a love affair with the M5 for years. The M5 despite being a better built mechanical camera than anything that followed, had some drawbacks I've noted on more than one M5 over the years. I found the meter to be less accurate than an M6 as it's readings will vary to within at least +/- 1/2 stop depending on how you hold the camera, i.e. vertical vs. horizontal as well as aiming low or high which will cause variation in accuracy. I also found that despite adjustment of the circuit 'pots' to the 'nth degree, meter accuracy varies a little more than the M6's silicone blue cells most likely due to aging of it's twin CdS cells. Bear in mind of course that these errors are of far less consequence with negative film than with slide film that can sometimes require accuracy to within 1/3 stop. Other minor quibbles are limitations of certain lenses like the 21/3.4 SA or early 28/2.8 Elmarit that require modification of their mount to be used on the M5 without damage to the meter. Lasly keep in mind if the body hasn't been serviced in a number of years, a CLA may run a few hundred $$ to bring it up to snuff.

Last edited by awilder : 06-17-2010 at 04:32.

Old 12-29-2008   #60
Platinum RF

Quote:
Originally Posted by J J Kapsberger View Post
Wrong.
If you like the old Wetzlar fashion go buy a M4. M6 is an excellent user M camera with a great meter. The patch flare problem can be fixed less than $40 (DIY) or fixed by DAG alike leica repairman. The Zinc cover plate is thick than the M5 brass top cover, they brass differently, M6 resistent dent impect better than M5.

Old 12-29-2008   #61
P. Lynn Miller

Quote:
It is big
M6 is the better choice.
I agree with you on all counts and hope every other Leica users agrees as well!

That way the price of M5's will fall and I can buy a few more of the awful things.

P. Lynn Miller
Sydney, Australia

Old 12-29-2008   #62
J J Kapsberger

Quote:
If you like the old Wetzlar fashion go buy a M4.
I'm way ahead of you. I enjoy my Wetzlar M4, but it's not the same as the M5, which offers a different level of exhileration.

Quote:
...Zinc cover plate is thick than the M5 brass top cover, they brass differently, M6 resistent dent impect better than M5.
Bubbles.

My Flickr space

Old 12-29-2008   #63
Krosya
Konicaze

All this M5 talk made wanna get one. I used to have m3 and m6 and sold them in favor of Hexar RF. But m5 seems like a rather different camera from handling stand point. I am really tempted now.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 12-29-2008   #64
Carlos Cruz

No point in lusting after this ugly, un-leica looking, ill-metering monster, with hard to get batteries. Leave more for us

Old 12-29-2008   #65
P. Lynn Miller

Yeah, why you would want such a HUGE rangefinder, and heavy, wow! gives you biceps like Arnie! And so unM-like, not mention that design flaw of having the strap-lugs only on one side...

I bet it is not even a Leica, probably just a rebadged import from the Far East or West...

P. Lynn Miller
Sydney, Australia

Old 12-29-2008   #66
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by enochRoot View Post
i owned one briefly. i love the look of them. i love the function of the shutter-speed dial (and position). i love the meter and viewfinder feedback. i love the side carry strap lugs (i had a 2-lug). i love the weight. but the size was just too much for me. people say the difference is slight, and maybe in measurements it is. but it feels like a big camera to me. i do have small hands though. the other m bodies just fit me better. if you don't mind the size...jump on it!
I agree completely. Over 30 years of using Leica's I have owned 2 M5's - bought at prices I couldn't resist. Beautiful cameras but once you start to use them they are just awkward. Some, a few, people like them but most don't. They weren't popular new and still aren't. The only advantage they ever had was the built in meter. An M3, M4 or M2 with the Mr-4 meter are much more user friendly cameras. The M6 surpasses the M5 and is worth a few hundred more. If I couldn't afford an M6 I would look at the Bessa's.

Oh good grief...
Old 12-29-2008   #67
venchka

Cool Oh good grief...

To quote Bigfoot and Bubba, "Nuts!"
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 12-29-2008   #68
Krosya
Konicaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
I agree completely. Over 30 years of using Leica's I have owned 2 M5's - bought at prices I couldn't resist. Beautiful cameras but once you start to use them they are just awkward. Some, a few, people like them but most don't. They weren't popular new and still aren't. The only advantage they ever had was the built in meter. An M3, M4 or M2 with the Mr-4 meter are much more user friendly cameras. The M6 surpasses the M5 and is worth a few hundred more. If I couldn't afford an M6 I would look at the Bessa's.
See, I felt that m6 and m3 were kinda awkward. So, maybe M5 would be just right for me? I guess one way to find out?

Folders
:

flickr

Old 12-30-2008   #69
venchka

Just do it!
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 12-30-2008   #70
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
Focus is no big problem with the Hexar RF / Noctilux @ f/1.0. The RF patch has quite some contrast:

That is a pretty shot, that is... Would love to get results like this with my M-Hex-50-1.2. I will definitely take the M5 out for a spin once it's checked in here!

THX 4 sharing!

Old 12-30-2008   #71
dreamsandart

In some ways how I feel about the M5 mirrors what 'awilder' had to say. I'd used an M5 for many years, and as a camera to use it was my favorite shooter. Things I really liked about it were the analog meter, shutter speed dial, finder, even the 2 lug strap configuration, I still have enough of the old mercury 625 batteries to last me 10 years or more, and an M5 oozes Wetzlar quality.

But I sold it this last year... Maybe a mistake, but I got a good price for it, my repair person here in Japan doesn't work on them (who else besides Sherry and Don can do them justice and has the parts?), and I just decided that I wanted a metered M that more closely matched my M4/M3 in use/feel/compactness, an MP anthracite came my way in a moment of weakness (Leicavit use is nice too), and I felt I needed to make a choice to keep the body count down.

I reasoned also that if I really wanted another - and a revisit can always be on the horizon in Leicaland - I can pick one up at a 'discount' price these days.

Still I can say. If you want one, and get one, it can be the best Leica you will ever own.

Old 12-30-2008   #72
Krosya
Konicaze

So what would be a good price for a good user M5? Not the collector grade, but nice and clean?

Folders
:

flickr

Old 12-30-2008   #73
J J Kapsberger

When it comes to a nice and clean M5 money is no object.

My Flickr space

Old 12-30-2008   #74
Matthew Runkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilder View Post
I found the meter to be less accurate than an M6 as it's readings will vary to within at least +/- 1/2 stop depending on how you hold the camera, i.e. vertical vs. horizontal as well as aiming low or high which will cause variation in accuracy.
Yes, I believe the manual instructs that the meter will be only accurate when the camera is in the horizontal orientation, and that vertical scenes should be metered horizontally first. Since the metering pattern is closer to a spot than those of other M's, where you aim can make more of a difference in the reading, but this is not really a "variation in accuracy."

Old 12-30-2008   #75
Melvin
Flim Forever!

The extra weight of the M5 probably provides more inertial damping. And the shutter is very quiet...could make for sharper photos.

The light meter is great, but it is a spot meter, and very accurate. This is what makes it hard to use for slide film. If you don't have the metering spot on 18% gray, you won't get a perfect reading. Not only that, but the card needs to be angled to reflect the light source, then the m5 meter will agree with an incident meter.

All the Leica camera models are imperfect in some way, and they're all great.

Haven't looked lately...
Old 12-30-2008   #76
venchka

Cool Haven't looked lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krosya View Post
So what would be a good price for a good user M5? Not the collector grade, but nice and clean?
Median price, probably $750 give or take a low of $550 and a high of $1,000. Time since or in need of a CLA is a factor.

Good luck!

Happy New Year!

Wayne
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 12-30-2008   #77
Krosya
Konicaze

Thanks!
I just had a quick look on ebay and lowest I can find is around 1K with some going to something rediculous like over 2K !
But, search is ON!

Folders
:

flickr

Old 12-30-2008   #78
venchka

Whoa! Wassssssssssssup? Maybe I can trade Bubba for a nice 8x10 camera one of these days. Would I do that???????????

Like I said, I hadn't been following prices. I just recall a few here going for under $1,000.
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn

Old 12-30-2008   #79
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

A couple of month ago prices were 500-700 for good users. That's what I got two for (and sold one).
If prices are up again, then that's because there are too may threads like this one here

Old 12-31-2008   #80
srtiwari
Daktari

The M5 is a very special machine- a little different, but it grows on you. I took mine out of the closet after a year, convinced that I should sell it. That was 2 weeks ago- I have now run a couple of rolls theough it, and no way am I going to sell it ! It is beautiful, and wonderful to use.