Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

The F6! Post your photos here!
Old 05-28-2015   #1
dave lackey

The F6! Post your photos here!

Today is the day. Somehow I have managed to shoot two rolls of Eastman 5222 Double X film and have them developed. I pick them up today because I just could not manage developing the film myself this week.

Today is the day that I will officially crown my F6 as my primary camera! It is that amazing!

The M3/6 life is special, like a Strad. As I recall, a Strad is special and has a narrow window, if you will, that produces amazing music. But it is not an instrument with a wide range of application. No it is special. The M bodies are the same for me. Beautiful instruments that I love to use.

Unfortunately, I love macro and action sports along with a whole lot of other possibilities. The capability of the F6 goes far beyond any rangefinder and I am stunned by its sophistication.

The F6!!!

Are there any negatives? The first one is why did I wait so long? For that matter why did it take Nikon so long to come up with such an instrument? The second negative is ... Well, I can't come up with it yet other than the form and aesthetics are so familiar and comfortable that character is subdued somewhat. But then, if a camera is supposed to disappear in your hands and become an invisible extension and interface, I cannot fault that! This camera simply amazes me.

I will post my own images soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6 rff.jpg (136.1 KB, 1076 views)

Dave

Old 05-28-2015   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Off looking in my external hard drive right now!

Old 05-28-2015   #3
Benjamin Marks

Awww, man. That camera (the F6) was always juuust out of reach for me. I had an F4, which I have used and loved since 1991. I know that camera did not get a lot of love out in the world, but this thing was just so on-the-money-honey for me. I had an F5 for about a year, but never liked it as much. Prices on the F6 came down to a level I could afford, just as I realized I had not processed any film in over a year. So it remains just over the horizon as the Nikon that got away. I still have the F4, and it is sitting on a shelf with my Leica film cameras, which I think I will not part with. I still haven't developed a roll of film since the "F6 realization moment." But what a machine!

Congrats on getting one of the world's great cameras Dave. Hope to see many excellent photos posted here!

Ben Marks

Old 05-28-2015   #4
dave lackey

Hi, Ben!

Like you the F6 was so expensive, I could never afford it. Now they are a fraction of the cost new. I am fortunate to get one that has never had a roll of film through it until Nikon serviced the camera! Amazing luck for a change with the help of a dear friend...

Like all things in life, sometimes things must be sold to afford something else. I was able to move a lot of gear and had a little left over, so the F6 was an opportunity I dared not miss.

With my 24/7 job, finding time to develop my own film is difficult but I have a friend with his own lab and I scan my own once he develops the film. Buying film in bulk is cheaper than I can upgrade into any digital realm again.

The funny thing is... I found a couple of images yesterday that I had forgotten about. One was with the Leica X1 in b/w of our granddaughter in 2013. Nicely done and typically a great image from the X1. The other was done at the same time with my M3 and a 50mm 1.5 Nokton. Side by side, I presented them to my bride and she wasted no time in selecting the film image (Eastman 5222 Double X) as her favorite!

So, no computer upgrades anytime soon. No digital camera upgrades anytime soon. Just film, and more film! The only change in the foreseeable future would be if I start getting paid gigs requiring a D700 or D3. But then, I could not afford them anyway and I would miss the "decivise image" that I could have made with the F6 for my own use.

BTW, my favorite films now are Eastman 5222 Double X and Acros 100.

Dave

Old 05-28-2015   #5
Mablo

I've been very happy using a F100 for years. Still, I'd love to get a F6 into my hands. I'd lick it clean every morning.

Old 05-28-2015   #6
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mablo View Post
I've been very happy using a F100 for years. Still, I'd love to get a F6 into my hands. I'd lick it clean every morning.

LOL ..............

Old 05-28-2015   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

hmm. "Lick it clean..." That's a little excessive for me. But each to their own taste. ]'-)

I acquired an F6 recently. I never bought an F4 or an F5 ... both seemed bloated and over-much compared to my F3/T and I stuck with the F3 until I sold out of Nikon gear in 2001 and moved into digital. Over the course of the past 12 years, I slowly acquired back a few of my favorite Nikon lenses, a couple of years ago I was twice gifted with an F body—one I kept and had overhauled, the other I gave to another friend—so I figured, "What the heck? Get the last 'best of the Nikon' F line body and enjoy it!"

It is a superb piece of equipment. I've changed out the focusing screen for a type A with split image so my short manual lenses are a little easier to focus, and I picked up the usual (a remote release and a tripod adapter plate) so that I can use it for macro and super-tele when and if I desire. I've read the manual and set up entries to cover all my lenses in its non-CPU registers. I still need to order my usual orange, green, yellow, and ND filters in 52mm (gave them away when I sold out of Nikon gear in 2001...sigh). There's film in the 'fridge.

The F6 doesn't replace any of my digital cameras. And I'm selling excess gear off every week. But it was worth it to me to have this last of the best SLRs ever made (IMO, of course).

Now I just have to find time to go do some shooting with it. =8^/

G

Old 05-28-2015   #8
dave lackey

+1 Godfrey!!

IMO, it is the best camera at the best deal ever! Glad you are one of the enlightened!!! LOL...

The film rewind is stunning if nothing else!

Dave

Old 05-28-2015   #9
jonmanjiro

Ok here's a few. I've posted these shots in just about every other Nikon F6 thread on this forum, but why not this one as well

Vespa
by Jon, on Flickr

Umbrella
by Jon, on Flickr

Old 05-28-2015   #10
robert blu
quiet photographer

Congrats Dave and Godfrey for your new tool! I have no plan to look for and buy an F6 (please do not tempt me too much!).
Anyway I'm sure it's an excellent camera, I sometimes use my F100 even if I oft prefer the old manual FM2!

This thread just gave me an idea: I just bought 10 rolls of CineStill film to test them (5 are 50 iso and 5 are 800 iso) they were intended for the M7 but it could be interesting to see how they work with the F100 and its exposure systems.

Hope to see more pics here, please post when you have!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-28-2015   #11
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I'm going up to Mendocino tomorrow for a little holiday. Maybe I'll take the F6 as well as the Leica X or Hassy SWC. :-)

Just thought about the 'battery hog' comment again. 15 36-exp rolls of film is 540 exposures. That's plenty for two small batteries also powering a fast motor drive for any casual use, IMO. It's obvious Nikon intended pro use to be with the battery grip fitted for 4-5x the capacity. We're just so spoiled by digital cameras that net twice that because they don't power a film drive.

G

Goblins
Old 05-28-2015   #12
Pioneer

Goblins

A few goblins from past All Hallows Eve.

Nikon F6 - Nikon 50/1.4 G - Ilford Delta Pro 3200 @ EI6400

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 05-28-2015   #13
Huss

F6, 60 2.8, C200, avg metering i.e. "Matrix 3 D Colour!" with +2/3 EV

Old 05-28-2015   #14
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Are there any negatives?
Of course there are.... unless you shoot E6.

Seriously, congrats Dave!!!

-Keith

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-28-2015   #15
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Of course there are.... unless you shoot E6.

Seriously, congrats Dave!!!

-Keith
Ha! And those would be positives! Good point! Lol...

Dave

Old 05-28-2015   #16
Timmyjoe

I've never used an F6, but a buddy of mine, old timer who was an assistant to Ansel Adams back in the day, he says the F6 is the only camera he's ever owned that nails exposure 100% of the time. He's pretty amazed by what the metering system in the F6 can do.

Just saying'.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-28-2015   #17
dave lackey

OK, this thread is about posting photos!!!

My first roll was E6 and I am waiting to get a box full of E6 exposed film to take to the lab so that must wait. I tried a couple of rolls of Ektar at our granddaughter's softball game and I was impressed even with the cheapo 28-105 lens I was using.

The first roll, I actually went on a walk while at Emory University whilst my bride was working hard in rehab day-program there and re-visited my spiritual home to see how Spring was shaping up. Nothing spectacular as I missed the golden hour but the overcast skies, mist and pleasant temperatures allowed me to visit the area a few weeks after I normally visit.

Here are a couple of snaps from the test roll, with matrix metering:

So, with this roll, I found the camera to be working fine, exposing fine and I was thrilled with the experience. At this point in time, I had absolutely not even thought of art, documentaries, portraits or even cared about using the M3 I carried with me for a year and a half prior. I was too exhausted. So, to find a different experience from my Leicas that I actually enjoyed thoroughly...well, it was an epiphany. Suddenly I was back to where my roots were with film SLRs but this one felt just perfect.

Now, I am looking forward to seeing how I can bond with the F6. How will my photography change? What new techniques and tools will be used with this instrument? I don't know but I am actually looking forward to the future with a camera in hand once again. Photography seems to me to be good therapy...at least for me anyways.

That is why I am interested in your successful experiences with the F6. Living vicariously has its advantages especially when one cannot even leave the house for weeks on end. So, let me see what you have enjoyed!

Dave

Old 05-28-2015   #18
Huss

F6, 60 2.8, C200, Matrix + 2/3 EV

Old 05-28-2015   #19
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
F6, 60 2.8, C200, Matrix + 2/3 EV
Impressive.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories & Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-28-2015   #20
Huss

F6, Zeiss Makro Planar 50, C200, Matrix 0.0EV

FYI. the Makro Planar is a gorgeous lens to use on the F6. The form, haptics and build quality match perfectly.

Old 05-28-2015   #21
DavidKKHansen

I had an F6 for a brief time. Absolutely wonderful camera, very well thought out. Very classy of Nikon to put an all-out effort to have their last film SLR to be the very best they could make!

But alas, coming from Canon I could not get over the dials turning in the opposite direction. I kept messing up either the focus or exposure settings when it counted the most (I used manual lenses). And having used rangefinders I had to admit that an SLR was a bit too big for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Ok here's a few.
Colors are looking really good Jon! Slide film I take it?

Old 05-28-2015   #22
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKKHansen View Post
Colors are looking really good Jon! Slide film I take it?
Yep, those shots were taken using the Japan market only limited release slide film, Fortia SP! I loved that film. I wish Fujifilm would bring it back!

Old 05-28-2015   #23
jonmanjiro

Ok folks, lets keep this thread about the photos! So please take any discussion about the F6 matrix metering etc. to a new thread. Also, trolling won't be tolerated. Comments purposely intended to derail this thread will be deleted promptly.

Old 05-28-2015   #24
john_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKKHansen View Post
......But alas, coming from Canon I could not get over the dials turning in the opposite direction. I kept messing up either the focus or exposure settings when it counted the most (I used manual lenses)............
I share your pain. You don't have to change brands to suffer this fate. Having used a Leica M6 for years I was attracted to an M6TTL x0.85 but I didn't realise that the shutter knob turned the wrong way. I use both cameras and still mess up.

Old 05-29-2015   #25
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Old 05-29-2015   #26
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Nice work, Keith! I particularly like these two out of this set.

G

Old 05-29-2015   #27
Huss

F6, 60 2.8, C200

Old 05-29-2015   #28
Huss

F6, 24mm 2.8 AIS, C200

Old 05-29-2015   #29
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Old 05-30-2015   #30
Dguebey

F6, Velvia 50 slides, Tamron macro Adaptall 90/2.5 SP v.2 (52BB)

Old 05-31-2015   #31
chrism

Out again with the F6, Acros 100, monobath and X1 scans:

Feed Mill 3 by chrism229, on Flickr

Feed Mill 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Focal Point by chrism229, on Flickr

Brooke Alexandra 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Graveyard by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Old 05-31-2015   #32
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Back from my weekend away ... A photo from my "F6 Surrogate" for this weekend.

Leica M-P + Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH (LTM)
ISO 3200 @ f/1.5 @ 1/25
OOC JPEG

Just placed an order for the yellow, orange, and green filters I need for the Nikon ... :-)

enjoy
G

Old 06-01-2015   #33
dave lackey

Chris, I was a bit preoccupied yesterday when you posted but I like the images you presented and I love Acros!

Dave

Old 06-02-2015   #34
dave lackey

An experiment with low light sunrise using Eastman 5222 Double X film:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunrise 3 over Sandestin F6 XX May 2015-2.jpg (93.7 KB, 537 views)

Dave

Old 06-02-2015   #35
chrism

Quote:
Peace, Love and Happiness...
How about Peace & Rhymes? This shows some of the streaking you can get with this technique (these aren't surge marks, but yellow streaks on the surface of the film that I think I could wipe of when wet. If the picture was worth it, I could rewash the negative and then try, but then again, it's not worth the effort in this case! It was just starting to rain and the light was overcast and wretched.

Peace & Rhymes by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Old 06-06-2015   #36
chrism

To another wharf, but the boats were still out, except this one (F6, 28-300mm, Acros 100, HC-110, X1 scans):

Mast step by chrism229, on Flickr

Full keel by chrism229, on Flickr

Then I went on to a local beach to look at gulls in the rain:

Gull by chrism229, on Flickr

Chris

Old 06-06-2015   #37
ThreeToedSlothLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

I really like this on. I think that's because the feeling of "crispness" in the picture.

I was going to ask which lens but I see you've more or less answered that in a subsequent reply.

Colin

Old 06-07-2015   #38
chrism

F6, Ektar 100, Unicolor presskit, X1 scans:

Fenders 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

Winch gear 2 by chrism229, on Flickr

F6, Acros 100, Rodinal 1+50, X1 scan:

Over-engineered 1 by chrism229, on Flickr

C.

Old 06-09-2015   #39
Joeys61
Joey