Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Seven Rolls In Seven days ... show us your results and tell us your story!
Old 08-01-2012   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Seven Rolls In Seven days ... show us your results and tell us your story!

This is where you get to display your supreme editing skills and demonstrate your mastery of reportage.

Show us what you regard as the three best images from your (hopefully) successful journey through this challenge and tell us your story. The highs, the lows, the frustrations ... we want to hear it all!

Enlighten us as to why you chose these particular three images and give us some insight into how this challenge affected you personally ... was it worth the effort and did you learn anything that may benefit your photography in the future?

I also want to offer my sincere congratulations for getting here ... along with thanking you all for supporting this challenge.

Old 08-01-2012   #2
Sparrow

I still working on it ... I had a bit of a complication when a camera died 12 shots into a 36 roll, so I'm working with 6 and a bit rolls in seven days

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 08-01-2012   #3
gilpen123
Gil

Sad I was not able to finish mine, we got two typhoons here this month and still raining up to now. I finished 3 rolls 2 more are in 2 cameras still to be consumed. I'll post some in the gallery marked 7/7.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 08-01-2012   #4
paulfish4570

well, here they are, all shot with the om-1n, ap 400, developed in hc-110, dilution h, scanned on my epson 4490.

zuiko 50/1.8; this fellow is named wayne. i met him at a truck stop just outside of hattiesburg, miss.:

zuiko 50/1.8, tripod; this thermometer abides on the southwestern end of our cabin:

zuiko 28/2.8; this roadside memorial is within a few miles of our home; it speaks for itself, i think:

Old 08-01-2012   #5
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Day 1. vancouver decided to have a "party time". It was July 1, Canada's national Holiday. Obviously not that popular. All the 7/7 project shots were done with a M6 and the Voigtlander 40 mm f1.4 SC. Acros 100 in Beutler 1:1:10 for 7 min.

Old 08-01-2012   #6
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Day 2, theme was dogs. Went down to the beach and and in spite of pouring rain (dogs really dont care) - there was one owner trying exhaust his dog (the 2nd dog just appeared and assisted in the stick retrival).

Old 08-01-2012   #7
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Day 7. Went to the Olympic Village. This guy was doing flying jumps for the benefit of a videographer.
One case where I forgot that I was using a 40 mm rather than a 35. Kind of like the shot anyway. I did change speed to 1/1000 s to freeze him in mid-air.
Thanks Keith for setting up the challenge - great fun (and frustrating - particularly the days when you had already shot "todays" roll by noon - and watched all the picture opportunities go by later!).

Old 08-01-2012   #8
Mark Schretlen
mostly harmless

"Smile" - Balda Super Baldina - day 4

I had the lowest expectation from my two Super Baldina rolls (day 1 and day 4) shot with sunny 16 non-metering. This is one of the Baldina shots from day 4 that make it to my "final three" podium.

I see this scene every time I go to the fruit co-op in Kelowna (first time I have photographed it). The property is up for sale and will likely be a car dealership or something similar by this time next year.

Old 08-01-2012   #9
Mark Schretlen
mostly harmless

Gritty Kelowna street scene:

Along the Footpath - Day 7 - CLE + 40mm Summicron-C. This was my fail-safe roll as I always get great results from my CLE.

Old 08-01-2012   #10
Mark Schretlen
mostly harmless

"Greata Entrance" - Day 6 - EOS 7s + 14mm L

I shot days 5 and 6 with one of Canon's last film cameras - the EOS 7s. This one looks nice in colour but the reason I shot it was that I liked the strong diagonals in the scene. It made it on to my "final three" after I converted it to monochrome.

I enjoyed this challenge. It gave me an opportunity to use up some of my expired and short-dated films. Using expired colour film (2 rolls) turned out to be a bad decision - no keepers there, with some weird hipstamatic-style fading and colour-casts.

I guess I learned that I should have shot all 7 rolls with B&W film for the challenge

Last edited by Mark Schretlen : 08-01-2012 at 10:37. Reason: grammer and comprehension

Old 08-02-2012   #11
Sparrow

Well here we go, the third week of July on our family holiday in Corfu (Kérkyra) we've been going there for some 20 odd years each summer ever since the children came along. As it worked out all three came from the island's main town, we rent a place up in the north but stay in town for a few days each year for a bit of culture and some good food, oh and shopping for swmbo

Corfu Town, the islands capital is a very ancient city, originally probably a Phoenician colony maybe three thousand years ago, it's been re-built in each age and by a procession of Great Powers. The modern city's "old town" is mostly Venetian (without the canals) with a bit of a French influence and a Cricket pitch ... we stay in the Bella Venezia the same hotel that the king of Greece awaited the vote in the Ionian Parliament that set up the modern Greek state in the 1860's. The city's acropolis sports a Norman castle these days but would probably still be recognisable to Odysseus or Nero if they visited again

... not sure what's the story here, a bit of theatre I think, but it could well be a failed wedding

Since Serrano's, the finest cafe in the world, closed last year we've had to try some of the others

... I did a book on Corfu a few years back which anyone who's interested can see here ...

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 08-02-2012   #12
awbphotog

Awesome thread. Keep them coming guys and gals.

Old 08-02-2012   #13
astro8

I found shooting seven rolls in seven days really tough going! Not the least was that I didn't really know what I was doing. Up until now I've used my R-D1 almost exclusively.

I could only shoot at night so found myself out and about until midnight almost every night.

I found developing film and scanning time consuming but very rewarding. So much so that I've stocked up with over 1000' of film.

Thanks you Keith for getting me motivated

I used an M2 and Pen-FT.

M2, 35 Summilux, Ilford Pan 400

M2, 35 Summilux, Ilford Pan 400

Pen-FT, 38/1.8, Tmax 3200

My RFF Gallery

Old 08-02-2012   #14
Mark A. Fisher

First, my thanks to Keith for proposing this challenge. It has been a joy to be a part of it! Well, most of the time...

I decided I was going to start on July 1. In case I had an equipment failure or some other disaster I would have the remainder of the month to take another swing at it. Fortunately for me, everything went relatively well, with a few glaring exceptions.

The most notable exception was the heat! I live in St. Louis, Missouri, at about the geographic center of the United States. Normal high temperatures for July are in the 85-90 degree range. This year, our area has experienced the hottest July on record! So for my 7 day adventure, all seven days were over 100! The temperatures ranged from a high of 100 degrees on the 3rd of July to a high of 107 on the 6th and 7th, with a liberal dash of 102’s and 104’s in the mix! I did eventually become accustomed to it, and, while not exactly being exhilarated by it, I at least used one day in particular to my advantage, when I shot the Kodak HIE Infrared film.

I decided to use 7 different cameras on 7 different days, using 7 different types of film. I interpreted Keith’s instructions to limiting myself to 1 roll per day, which, as many of you came to experience, is quite a concession if you’re only getting 10 shots on a roll of 6x7, and you finish that roll with lots of daylight left in front of you! So I had to plan each day around which format I was using, and in which locale I was going to shoot. For example, I knew I’d be shooting a parade on the 4th, so I chose a 36 roll of HP5+ for my Nikon F100 that day. Even at that, the roll only lasted half way through the 2 1/2 hour parade! With the various formats I chose, I ended up with 120 exposures to winnow down to the final three. (I would have had an additional 36 shots to choose from Day 5 with my Leica IIIc, but the roll didn’t turn out, due to “operator error” - and no, I didn’t leave the lens cap on!)

And then the real challenge began! I first chose what I thought were the strongest 24 images, then further reduced that number to 16, then to 8, and then the final 3. My wife immediately chose the first photograph to include, and then I struggled quite a while for the remaining two - actually I’m still trying to choose as I type this! I’m still not certain that my choices will be the best of the lot; the viewer will have to determine that!

Photo One - This photograph was the last one I took on Day 6. It was shot in Tower Grove Park, St. Louis, MO, at the Pool Pavilion. Finished in 1914, the pavilion was originally designed to resemble Roman baths. Today it has been revamped as a wading area and fountain for children. All the pavilions in the park date from the late 1800’s-early 1900’s. A terrific place to wander with a camera!
Camera: Yashica-Mat 124.
Film: 220 Roll of Provia 100 (Expired)
Date: July 6, 2012 Temp: 107 degrees

YM124.024.1.jpg

Photo Two - This is tough! I’ve been staring at two infrared images for about an hour now, trying to decide which one needs to be in the number 2 slot! Both were taken at the Missouri Botanical Garden on Day 3. The garden - also called “Shaw’s Garden” after its creator, Henry Shaw - is a national treasure and a local jewel. When the photograph was taken they were in the middle of their Lantern Festival, a wonderfully colorful sight after dark! It is where I first began shooting with infrared film about 13 years ago, which I still love to use. My beloved Kodak HIE is nearly extinct, however, and I have only about 25 rolls left, which I use sparingly. This challenge begged for a roll of it to be thawed out, which I did, to use in the 100 degree heat!
Camera: Nikon N90s with 72 (red) filter
Film: Kodak HIE Infrared, rated @ 400iso (Expired 2000)
Date: July 3, 2012 Temp: 100 degrees

FCN90sIR009.1.jpg

Photo 3 - Another Battle Royale between two contenders! And I still haven’t made the final choice as I write this! One was taken with my Mamiya 7II on Day 1, and the other with my Ansco Speedex on Day 2! Decisions, decisions!

OK, I chose the one taken with my Ansco Speedex. While most of my “serious” work for the past 3 years has been done with the 7II, it was great to get out the folding Speedex for a day and enjoy its simplicity, as well as its lens. No meter, zone focus, wonky viewfinder, limited f/stop-shutter speed selections, and that lovely bellows design - all were contemporary to when I believe this trailer was parked in its space, somewhere in the mid-50’s. My primary subject matter for the past few years is based, loosely at least, on Alan Weisman’s book “The World Without Us”, which posits how long it would take for all sign of humans to vanish if we just weren’t here one day. My camera of choice for this series is my Mamiya 7II, which I absolutely love to use. (It’s negatives are gorgeous!) But I have been using all of my cameras to try to explore the idea of abandonment, isolation, removal of signs of human existence, whether vanished in the previous 5 minutes or 5 centuries. And there was something quite appealing about using this 60 year old technology to address that concept, with a 60 year old subject languishing in the Missouri heat and humidity, awaiting its eventual demise.
Camera: Ansco Speedex Special R
Film: Ilford PanF 50iso
Date: July 2, 2012 Temperature: 102 degrees

PCAS004.4.jpg

And so, there they are, my three choices, for your perusal.

Keith had asked what we might have learned from this experience. Well, every time I go out with a camera is a learning experience, a bit of personal growth, challenge, or dismay, depending on that particular set of circumstances. This time around it reminded me that I’m still capable of getting out there in nasty heat, wearing a knee brace and wielding a cane, and still get the shots I’m after. It reinforced my assertion that film is a joy to use. It allowed me the opportunity to explore some cameras that don’t get nearly as much use as they should. It also reminded me how difficult it is to choose only a few images when I would really like to select at least twice the allowed limit!

Finally, and most importantly, this has been fun, and a true challenge. I am most appreciative to Keith for the idea, and to the RFF site for allowing us to post our efforts. I think such an adventure at least once a year would be great! I still have lots of cameras that are waiting to come out and play!

I would like to apologize for the diminutive size of my files, but I don't seem to have figured out how to post a larger file and still maintain the proper file size set for the site. But if you click on each image, they will enlarge somewhat. Hey, I'm a film shooter! What do I know about this fancy-schmancy digital stuff! - Mark

Last edited by Mark A. Fisher : 08-02-2012 at 11:43. Reason: additional comment

Old 08-02-2012   #15
loquax ludens

I only managed to shoot one day. After that, my resolve faltered. I failed.

Old 08-02-2012   #16
taskoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
... Thanks Keith for setting up the challenge - great fun (and frustrating - particularly the days when you had already shot "todays" roll by noon - and watched all the picture opportunities go by later!).
That's your fault mr. Tom, you HAVE to cheat and shoot more on the day

I am still envy about the way you are processing your b&w and I can't get that good results

Regards to you and Yours!

Boris

P.S.

I wish I saw the challenge earlier to be part of it
b.

Old 08-03-2012   #17
print44

I started the challenge on Saturday 7 with a Leica CL. On day 2 I'd decided to shoot 6x6 on my Rolleiflex T which I've hardly used since 1990 - I enjoyed using it so much that I shot 3 out of 7 days with it...

1 Goodbye Neena
Monday 9th.
She came to the window to wave as I left for work and was held up by my wife. Already wearing the dressing up dress and ready to play.
(Leica M4P/c-Biogon 35 f2.8)

2 TV Executive
Tuesday 10th
I took the Rollei to work and asked everyone who was working on my floor to step into the room I was working in, sit on a seat and have their picture taken. I kept to one exposure each pretty much. Then. once processed and because I don't have a 120 scanner, I re-photographed the negs taped to the loft window with a D90. The effect of the technique has given some of the pictures from that day a really odd quality.
Rolleiflex T/tri-X

3 Hallway Dresser with flowers and cameras
Friday 13th

I liked the light on the flowers my parents had brought the weekend before and had taken a less successful shot of them on one of the earlier days. The dresser is where I dump/collect my camera of the day (every day not just during this week). It's not the most popular place to leave them lying around. Nothing re-arranged just the scene as found.
Rolleiflex T/ tri-x

The 7 day challenge made me really think about what I wanted to try and what I didn't want to do. I was already leaning towards some 6x6 work and the project propelled me into it. I've now decided to invest in a V700 and do it properly. And having watched Eddy Pula in action with his Rolleis I'm inspired. Down side was it kept me out of the gallery for the best part of a month!
Thanks Keith - great idea.

Old 08-03-2012   #18
zauhar

I was pretty happy with some of the shots I took over the seven days. As I expressed elsewhere, I think I benefitted a lot by shooting whether I felt like it or not.

All these were taken with a IIIf/collapsible summicron (just purchased the latter from an RFFer, these are the first shots with it). Film was Arista Premium (Tri-X) at either 400 or 1600 ISO, developed in Rodinal, scan with Vuescan and level adjustments in PS.

I know the rule is best three, but I will put the best of each roll - so sue me.

Day 1 - around my neighborhood, this is a local train stop:

Day 2 - Along Market Street, these guys were covering one of my favorite songs:

Day 3 - Came across two friends doing kung fu in the park - check out "Master Will":

Day 4 - Really short of time, this from my back porch:

Day 5 - Old city, church cemetery:

Day 6 - Out in the evening, ran across my friend Mark:

Day 7 - Chinatown, took this in an alley:

Really like the images the rest of you have posted so far!

Randy'
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 08-03-2012   #19
Steveh

I was on holiday in the English lake district for a week at the end of July so I wasn't short of stuff to photograph. Shot the whole week with a Mamiya 7II with 80mm lens and Portra 400. I'm not normally a lanscape person at all but there wasn't much else there . It was good to have an incentive to keep taking the Mamiya out with me when I would otherwise probably have left it at home. The only frustration is that I don't have a scanner good enough to capture all that lovely detail properly. Keith, thanks for the inspiration to do this, it was fun.

My Film Challenge Experience
Old 08-03-2012   #20
rgeorge911

My Film Challenge Experience

My film challenge experience was really something. I started out on July 3, here at home in Virginia. Here's a pic from that first day, taken with my Leica IIIa (G) and Canon 50mm f1.4:

Camera Roll-253 by reed_flickr (www.creativeobjective.com), on Flickr

Christine

On July 5, my daughter and I headed to my parents' house in El Reno, Oklahoma. On the sixth, I got out by sunrise, to Red Rock Canyon State Park. On the way, I pulled over to capture this image with my Leica M4-2 and 50mm f2 Summicron:

Camera Roll-254 by reed_flickr (www.creativeobjective.com), on Flickr

And here's my final, captured at Red Rock Canyon that morning with a Leica CL and 3.5cm f3.5 Elmar:

Camera Roll-255 by reed_flickr (www.creativeobjective.com), on Flickr

The following day, I got extremely ill. I occasionally have this happen, and have yet to get a good diagnosis for it. Suffice it to say, I was incapacitated for three days in a row. Each night, between the hours of 11PM and midnight, I forced myself to get up and shoot a roll. I was not going to drop out. All of those images were taken inside my parents' house, and are very dark (both literally and emotionally). In actuality, some are quite interesting, and really reflected how terrible I felt at the time. But, they're sure not pretty pictures.

This exercise was really good for me. It reminded me just how capable my old film cameras are. In fact, it nearly convinced me to expand my blog from focusing on Panasonic Lumix digital cameras to both that topic and film. However, after polling my readers, I decided not to do that.

Forcing myself to shoot a roll a day made some interesting shots I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, especially while I was sick.

I had the film (all C-41) developed at the drug store, then scanned with my Epson V750, and post-processed in Lightroom.

I'm now shooting film regularly again, in addition to my digital work.

Thanks for such a great challenge!

Reed
My Lumix Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Old 08-04-2012   #21
semrich

When accepting the challenge I had already agreed again to assist Peter Turnley with his Istabul 2012 workshop beginning July 1st. It was 7 days of commuting 2 hours round trip from the Asian side of Istanbul to shoot most of the day with a participant of the workshop in some of the less touristy areas of Istanbul. Doing this meant that I would use my M8 for the daily work and edit of the workshop and bring a film camera to meet my film requirement.

I used 4 cameras: Rollei 35SE (it still had 27 shots on the roll, so I imagined it to be a 24 shot roll), MP and a CV 50/2 Leica M mount Collapsible Heliar, M3 and a Summicron 50/2 LTM Collapsible, and a Xpan 45/4.

I shot HP5 at 400 for all shots developed in DD-X 1+4

It was an interesting experience, shooting both film and digital, disconcerting at times because in order to participate fully in the spirit of the workshop I had to shoot digital when I would have preferred shooting film. There was this agony of having a good digital shot and being unable to print it in the darkroom and having to make the choice when to shoot film.

As it turns out after selecting the 3 shots, (with final edit help from my wife and her good eye) that 2 of them were taken during my daily commute to the workshop and 1 when I was together with three of the group.

MP and a CV 50/2. This was on the first day, I left early to beat the crowds and have a little extra time to wander and take a roll walking to the hotel where we were meeting.

Summicron 50/2. This was the day we were on the Island of Buyukada where the most common form of transportation besides bikes and walking is horse carriage. On busy days all the carriages are crowded into a large square and in the center is a small two story building where a guy on the second floor calls out the number of the carriage next up for passengers. I's hotter than hades with the all pervasive smell of horse crap and urine and there are three of us in that little room. i'm taking photos out the window while the other two are taking shots of the dispatcher. I usually don't do many portraits but the eyes on that guy made me do it.

Xpan 45/4. This was on Saturday the last day during the ferry part of my commute. It's another portrait I don't usually do, my favorite of the of the week, and a profound experience. I was taking pano shots framing part of the ferry I'm on and another passing with the Istanbul skyline. Included in the frame is a lone guy looking out at the scene. He sees me taking a photo and comes over to me and we engage in a big meaningful conversation loaded with hand gestures and body language, with him speaking in Turkish and me in English understanding nothing and everything at the same time.

I gestured to him that I would take his picture (bless the Xpan's selector switch for 24X36 format) he agreed and he just beamed out this beautiful smile, genuinely happy, enjoying the view and ferry ride and having his picture taken.

You can't really tell in the photo, he was charitably dressed, bare foot in cheap shower shoes, his pants were to big and rolled up many times to be a suitable length, and the sleeves of his jacket extended way past his hands. The 1 1/2 Lira for the ferry was most likely a burden for him, and yet he was joyously happy.

Old 08-04-2012   #22
paulfish4570

richard, i love the peg-toothed fellow. that smile would bring a smile to just about anyone's day ...

Old 08-07-2012   #23
Mark A. Fisher

I’m certain more photographs will be added to this as everyone develops their film and edits their work, but I would like to offer some comments now, before there are simply too many to talk about!

Paulfish.
The portrait of Wayne is wonderful. In every small town, in truck stops, in every part of the country, there are men of Wayne’s age and visage, waiting for someone to give them just a moment of time, a bit of conversation, some sort of recognition. Sure, he looks a bit uncomfortable in his stance, but there is a hint of a smile as well, a glint of appreciation for having been noticed. The composition is lovely, the textures of wooden bench, wool cap and weathered skin combine to make a great character study. Everything about that is quintessentially American – the cigarette in one hand, Bic lighter in the other, the Pepsi bottle sitting next to him, and the Statue of Liberty on his shirt. Terrific portrait!

Tom A –
Your shot of the guy hurtling down the steps while his friend (?) shoots video is quite a surreal piece – the soaring buildings, the boats in the harbor, the mountain range in the distance – has so very many elements for the viewer to take in, and then you have this guy, muscles straining, jutting in to the frame at the most bizarre angle! Great shot!

Mark Shretlen –
Smile! An amazing found environmental piece! Terrific tonality, wonderful balance, very simple abstract construction, and a very strong photograph. Beautiful!

Sparrow –
The colors of your first shot just blew me away! And then to toss in a woman in a wedding dress, well, that had to have been the joy of your shooting that day! The formal structure of the facades themselves, huge variety of windows (is that a church on the left?), the gaggle of women in less-than-formal attire on the right, definitely sets up a whole raft of possible scenarios for the viewer to do with what they might! I can see why you could do books full of imagery from such a wonderful venue.

Astro8 - Being limited to photographing at night didn’t seem to limit your work! And while you might be more comfortable with your RD-1, it didn’t seem to hinder these images! The tattooed guy with the big scowl and the cigarette smoldering in his hand is a striking portrait. I didn’t know if he was a friend, stranger, or enemy, but the portrait is first-rate.

Print44 –
Goodbye Neena. That is such a wonderful, gentle image of your daughter. There is a touch of melancholy in it, but also great joy, in the beauty of your little girl in her dress up clothes, prepared for a day of imagination and play with her mom, or by herself, but still needing to reassure you she will be there when you return. A treasured photograph, for certain. Placing her in the lower right of the frame, with the rest of the window towering over her, reinforces her diminutive stature, protected by that grownup hand – all that is visible of your wife. Unseen, but protective. Quite beautiful.

Zauhar –
The stream-of-consciousness graffiti spewing out of the head of the guy in the alley is terrific! He has such a casual, yet serious demeanor, it almost seems he could actually be projecting those characters on to that textured wall telepathically! But to bring us back to reality we have the ubiquitous Smiley Face dangling from one hand, a cigarette just as casually held in the other.

Steve H –
I couldn’t help myself with your first image! I looked to see if Julie Andrews was there, ready to sing! What a stunning colorful landscape! You might not “normally be a landscape person”, but you certainly nailed these! The Mamiya 7II is perfect for this subject matter, and you obviously use it to best advantage! The scene with the round bales and single tree also just were made for you to share with us through your vision with that camera. What a great region to be on holiday, and what a gift for us!

RGeorge911 –
Love the portrait of your daughter in the diner with the American flag waving over her head, but the one that really jumped for me was the irrigation system in that early morning light with that huge expanse of land stretching off forever, another American Flag straight out in morning salutation as you headed for the canyon. That scene plays out across the plains every day, and most people never have a chance to see it, to take in the vastness of that area. Especially this year, that photo speaks volumes about the toll this extended heat wave and drought are having on the nation’s heartland.

Semrich –
Like the others already written about, there is a smorgasbord of visual delight in the trio of photos you chose! I don’t do a lot of portraits either, but if I had met the guy with the amazing eyes, I would have to have tried at least one! Not nearly as well as you did – that photo is terrific! – but he was one great subject! But the one that really made me smile was the little boy getting such pleasure out of scattering those pigeons! First, it’s a top-rate image – great tonal range, terrific composition, wonderful movement. But it also captures the spirit of children everywhere, content to find their joy and happiness wherever they can!

I am really enjoying this thread and this challenge, and look forward to seeing more! I hope my ramblings aren’t too lengthy, but I just wanted to share my impressions and observations.

Thanks!

Mark

Old 08-09-2012   #24
ruby.monkey

I decided to stick with one camera (a new-to-me Fujica GS645) and film (good ol' Kodak Tri-X 400). Of all the photos I took over the course of the seven days, it's probably not surprising that my favourites were of those most important to me - my wife and little horrors:

1) Number 1 Son, Joshua, about to ring the bell at his school's Summer Fair:

6_GS645_400TX_Scan-120708-0004 by ruby.monkey, on Flickr
Flat light, but otherwise no real difficulties.

2) Jacob, the youngest, doing what he does best - turning everything into a source of mischief.

7_GS645_400TX_Scan-120710-0006 by ruby.monkey, on Flickr

3) Sophia, the middle child (by about four minutes), teaching her mother how to write:

7_GS645_400TX_Scan-120710-0010 by ruby.monkey, on Flickr
Or possibly trying to steal her rings.

Old 08-10-2012   #25
SayCheese

Great pictures in this thread, everyone!!
Concerning my own participation in the 7/7-Project, well, i failed. On day three my wife complained and i realized i had to make compromises.
I continued with my own personal 7 rolls in 14 days project, shooting my old canonet exclusively. I shot 5 Rolls of TriX, developed in Atomal 49 and 2 Rolls of Kodak Ektar. There might be some nice ones on the first 2 1/2 Rolls which i'll post to the Gallery when i'm finished scanning and editing.
Regards, SayCheese

Old 08-10-2012   #26
jcrutcher

This was a fun idea and project, thank you Keith for putting the challenge out there. I started mine on July 4th, my wife and I had a little holiday in Tucson Arizona at the Arizona Inn which was established in 1930 (close to Leica and Rolleiflex). It's an oasis in downtown Tucson and is really beautiful. With that each day I seeked out the grounds for photo opportunites for 4 days, the balance of the week we were back to our home in Phoenix. With what I learned of myself in Tucson I streched my comfort zone in the last 3 days. I shot 6 different cameras and 7 different films. This was another positive of this project since I was in a rut using only 2 type of films. The cameras were M7, M5, IIIG screwmount, Rolleiflex 2.8C, Rolleiflex 4X4 and a Oscar Barnack "O" series. The film type, Portra 400, Delta 400, Delta 100, Fuji 160NS Pro (120), Efke 100 (127), Kodak PX125 and Efke 25. It was very hard to pick only 3 but I made myself a promise once I did, it stands and I didn't rethink the process.

Here they are:

July 5th. Rolleiflex 2.8C with fuji 160NS Pro. The scene is poolside at the Inn, they have many different flower pots and I was interested if I could get good OOF from the Rollei. This is a peaceful full of detail and color photo for me.

July 6th also at the Inn. The pool area (yes I spent a lot of time at the pool) has this glassed open roof walkway, I climbed in the bushes to frame this shot trying to get the chaise lounges in the background. This was shot with the Barnack "O" camera and Efke 25 film. I've only shot 6-8 rolls thru this camera and I've never used this film. I was pleasantlly surprised. The scale focus is something I'm used to and the lens is super sharp. I did improve the photo in Silver Efex Pro 2, mainly the clouds. (I don't develope my own film)

The last is my personal favorite and it was the 28th photo taken on the first day for me on this project July 4th. I was coming back from getting coffee in the lobby and I was hunting potential photo oportunities, around 8 in the morning. I took a short cut thru the bar and stumbled on this. Of course at 8 in the morning it was empty which was perfect. I made 3 photos all slightly different, this was the best. Shot with Leica M7 with a 21mm Summilux and Portra 400 film. I converted to B&W in Silver Efex Pro 2 and removed some dust in Photoshop.

Please any feedback is welcomed, I'm not a pro at this only a hobby. This is great project and I love to read all the other posts and have learned from them. Thank you again Keith and let's do it again!

Jim

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 08-10-2012   #27
MartinP

Well, I didn't make it either After one false start I left it to that last possible start-day (25th. July). On day four the-real-world intervened, in the form of an accountant/bank visit and a thunderstorm, and I hadn't got the roll finished before the end of the day. I was so fed up that I didn't realise that I could have just used the contents of the half-roll, dohhhh. It would have been more sensible to have shot daily life instead of having an inflexible idea in my head for each day. I congratulate those who stuck to their plans and/or remained flexible and imaginative!

Old 08-10-2012   #28
ricnak

When I first read about the 7 day challenge, I thought it was a great idea and I hoped that it would help get me out of my creative drought. I really struggled to get through a roll each day. I found myself swinging past the cemetery for three days in a row to get the roll finished. The photographic results are quite boring. It is hard to look at the results and call something a favorite.

What I did like about the project was that I have started using film again, I now have 3 more cameras and I have learnt how to develop film. I had a disaster in the developing tank twice. I am using my father's old patterson tank. It feels like bakelite. The spool is adjustable for 35 to 120mm film. The spool must have released half way through the process and so I had very uneven stop bath and fixing. All but the first and last two frames were stuffed. Really annoying for one film - 36 exposures and I had actually gone out and taken pictures of people. At first I thought it was operator error, then it happened a second time. After that I filled the tank up with pastry weights to keep the spool from releasing. I think my scanning needs lots of improvement.

I used the Xpan, Hexar RF and Contax T3 for the project. B&W in all but the T3. I have not developed the colour film yet. That could take a while before I get what I need to do that.

One from the Xpan 45mm, Ilford Delta 100.

One from the Hexar RF 60mm Ilford Delta 400.

and another from the Hexar - not sure why I like it. It was either this one or a picture of my cat.

Old 08-10-2012   #29
semrich

richak, I like your composition of the Xpan shot, perfect use of the format.

I also like the Hexar shot, the position of the guy in the frame and the out of focus action of the players suggests stillness and motion together.

A suggestion for your developing woes, get a doulble reel stainless steel tank and Hewes stainless steel reels in 135 and 120. In the years to come with your developing you will recollect with gratefulness that you made a decision to do that without remembering who suggested it. That's what happened to me. They will never get gummy and difficult to load and will last forever barring dropping the reels or natural disaster.

Old 08-11-2012   #30
ricnak

Thanks for the advice Richard.

The irrational sentimental feelings that I have for using my dad's developing tank dissolves quickly after 2 rolls of failed attempts! I will make some inquiries about the systems that you have recommended.

Well done for living in Istanbul too. Last time I was there, they threw me in jail for being female and liking beer at night time!

Cheers

Helen

Old 08-14-2012   #31
konicaman
konicaman

This is a great project - thanks Keith!

This has really been a challenge and I actually wasn´t sure that I would be able to complete it, as it often takes me a week or 2 to finish a roll of film. Being forced to shoot every day has it advantages however. Some of my subjects have been things that I would normally shoot, but others have been a bit off my beaten path, which is probably one of the best things in such a project - or at least the one I enjoyed the most. I almost always carry a camera in my bag, but I tend to forget about it; at least until something really photogenic turns up. Having to shoot a films every day made me carry the camera in my hand most of the time which made me be more observant and seeing far more details and opportunities.

More photos here:
http://rangefinderimages.com/standar...1270&showall=1

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 08-14-2012   #32
MartinP

Ricnak, congratulations with completing the shoot at least! The older Paterson (and Jobo) tanks had a separate clip to go above the reel(s) to stop them moving about. The newer versions have 'grippy' reels and the clip isn't needed. You can substitute an elastic-band for the clip, by wrapping it round the centre column a couple of times and pushing it down to the top of the top reel. That should keep things working until you can look at alternatives - the newer Patersons are functionally much better than the old, but steel works fine too (except for the price) and there are hundreds of thousands of people using each system successfully.

Large images
Old 08-15-2012   #33
randolph45

Large images

Well Keith
I hope to have some images up as soon as I can figure out how to post larger than a thumbnail.

Old 08-27-2012   #34
Mark A. Fisher

I'm looking forward to seeing Randolph45's work from this project. Anybody else out there finalizing their picks? Just checkin'...

Got to start again
Old 08-27-2012   #35
randolph45

Got to start again

Well I have to reload all my rolls on to my computer again
Computer glitch has got me reloading operating system.
My fault not backed up, however am in process now restoring what I can .should have my pics up this week

Old 08-28-2012   #36
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Well done to those who have posted images here so far ... I'm really enjoying the results of this challenge and I'd also like to congratulate those who attempted it and fell by the way. At least you had a go!

As for my personal effort it's a good thing I started early because my first attempt was woeful ... I ran out of steam after about four days. I left my second attempt until the last week which made me more focused and more determined luckily ... this was it, to not succeed would have been somewhat embarrasing considering the whole thing was my idea!

On to my pics. The first roll was with my OM-1 and newly aquired 35mm f2 Zuiko from Maitani. I headed out into a valley behind Brisbane which is an area I love ... I really enjoy driving through this dry valley, I love the blond bleached winter grasses and I love the old farms that dot the area.

Pic number one ... a selfie doing what I love doing most ... looking at this amazing country I live in.

By the second or third day I switched to large format with my Crown Graphic ... oh how I love this camera! I'd alway wanted to photograph this man ... I've known him for several years and we've talked about it often. He likes the Crown as much as I do and was happy to sit in front of it in his living room with his guitar while I faffed about with slides and shutters etc! This pic reminded me of what a great thing LF is and also how well it captures the soul of an individual like my friend Loui.

Pic number two ... Loui Fossa, ex rock star!
As a point of interest this was my first use of a lens and shutter assembly I bought through our classifieds a couple of years ago ... it's a ninety year old 16.5 cm Zeiss Jena and Compur.

On day seven I went back to the beloved OM-1. I was working that day for my best friend Ash and took the OM-1 and a couple of lenses into work with me. His wife came in for lunch with their beautiful new baby, Billy. I put the 50mm f1.2 Zuiko on the OM-1 and took my best ever baby photo while his grandmother Barbara held him. He was gazing at his dad when I took this! Ash is somewhere between a son and a brother to me so I'm very proud of this child.

Pic number three ... Billy at five months old.

In conclusion I'll say that this project taught me that I have a lot of friends I can count on ... any time. They'll pose for me and my cameras whenever I want and that's invaluable. And though I wasn't born here I also love this country very much ... the wide open spaces mean a lot to me ... and my camera!

seven days seven cameras seven lenses
Old 09-05-2012   #37
randolph45

seven days seven cameras seven lenses

Kieth
Thanks for setting this up,it was a challenge for me for sure.
Being timid,five rolls are 24 frames as I wasn't sure I could do 36.
The line up by date and camera lens combo all 35mm.
7/1/12 Canon T90 19 mm FL R 3.5
7/2/12 Canon 7 50mm LTM 1.2
7/3/12 Canon EOS-1 20mm 2.8
7/4/12 Canon L1 LTM 28mm 2.8
7/5/12 Nikkormat FT 50 mm 1.2 nikkor-s first roll with this camera and lens B&W
7/6/12 Canon A-1 7.5mm 3.5 FD fish-eye first roll with this camera and lens B&W
7/7/12 Leica M6 40mm 1.4 Nokton SC
193 frames total with 41 picks to decide which 3 to post.
Most everything was taken after 6 0r 7 pm till after dark.
No adjustment were made except upload size from flickr. All are full frame.All processed at Costco and taken from DVD. 5 color 2 BW. which is what I had on hand,Illford XP2 and Kodak 200 and 400 Gold. I did take notes on some exposures but can't find the book

1.St Francis Church side door Sacramento, Ca .Canon L1, LTM 28 mm 2.8

2.Fountain sculpture Sacramento ,Ca Canon 7, LTM 50mm 1.2

3.Water intake Sacramento river Canon EOS-1V, 20mm 2.8

Old 09-11-2012   #38
paulfish4570

i like that slip-and-slide one, jon. the look of disdain on the man's face is killer ...