Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Bigger than 35 RF's > 120 RF Folders

120 RF Folders 120/220 Format Folding Rangefinders, including the various classic Zeiss Ikontas, Voigtlander Bessas, and their Ruskie copies.

Old 02-11-2011   #301
Mark Wood

Balda Super Baldax (80/3.5 Baldanar lens) with Konica-Minolta Centuria 100 film (3 years out of date). Scanned with Epson V500.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tractor.jpg (74.1 KB, 71 views)

Old 02-11-2011   #302
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
Are you rerolling 120 in that?

Very nice misty photos, BTW.
looks a bit light leaks to me?

Just wondering,
John

Old 02-11-2011   #303
graywolf

Well, his lens probably has a nice haze on it. 120 film is not as wide as 616, so it would not be well supported. The film he is using may be way out of date.

Still, I like the effect, and not many folks would make the effort to use a 70 year old camera you can no longer get film for. Also, he picked the type of shots that actually benefit from the problems, he deserves a hearty pat on the back.

Old 02-12-2011   #304
urs0polar

My late grandfather's Bessa RF 6x9

The camera itself (pic taken with a 4x5 rangefinder ):

some shots:

Leica M6, Mamiya 7 II, Linhof Technica V, Voigtlander Bessa RF

Old 02-13-2011   #305
ElectroWNED

Here's the one shot that came out nicely from the Zeiss Ikon Nettar 17/16 that I bought:

A pretty funny story: I bought the camera for super cheap then never shot anything with it because I couldn't find 120 film or developing locally. I put it on Craigslist and some guy emailed me saying he'd send me a roll of 120 and pay for processing. He lost the negatives for a few months, but finally sent them to me and there's the result.

Old 02-16-2011   #306
graywolf

Hapo 66E (uncoupled RF), 75mm f/4.5, 1/100 @ f/16, Arista.EDU Ultra 100.

Last edited by graywolf : 02-16-2011 at 06:19.

Old 02-16-2011   #307
MC JC86
Negative Nancy.

Super Ikomat 530

Old 02-16-2011   #308
Argenticien
Dave

The Pinnacle at Point Lobos, from Autumn 2010. Heavy overcast left me with totally flat light I'm afraid. At full size one can somewhat pixel-peep individual birds on the rock. (Probably even more so if I had a proper scanner.)

--Dave

Bessa RF 6x9, Helomar 105/3.5 (same machine as urs0polar's in post #356 above). Portra NC-160. Exposure somewhere in the vicinity of 1/100 sec at f/11 if I recall, on tripod. Epson 4490 flatbed scan (sorry).

Old 02-16-2011   #309
kuzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenticien View Post
The Pinnacle at Point Lobos, from Autumn 2010. Heavy overcast left me with totally flat light I'm afraid. At full size one can somewhat pixel-peep individual birds on the rock. (Probably even more so if I had a proper scanner.)

--Dave
An amazing testament to even the lowest rated lenses used by Voigtlander. I had a Bessa RF with the Helomar and was told when I purchased it that the lens was near the bottom of the line, with the Heliar being at the top.

As I used it, I became convinced I had an unusual copy. Having now seen this photo and a couple of other Helomar examples, I am pleased to say that I don't think Voigtlander used any really bad lenses. This is an incredible shot from a 70 year old folding camera.

I do think that all the lenses from the thirties, forties and fifties stood their ground well when shot in the 6X9 format, and the lower triplet lenses are highly underrated, while the top line.... Color Skopars, Heliars and others can hold their own with contemporary medium format cameras of today.

Old 02-16-2011   #310
fotoman617

Mamiya 6 Automatic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeanne.jpg (175.0 KB, 79 views)

Old 02-17-2011   #311
Argenticien
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
An amazing testament to even the lowest rated lenses used by Voigtlander. [...] I am pleased to say that I don't think Voigtlander used any really bad lenses. This is an incredible shot from a 70 year old folding camera.
Thanks for the kind words; necessity was the mother of invention, in my case. I suppose not necessity; I could stretch to afford a Bessa RF with the Heliar, but I'm enough of a skinflint that I refused to do so (USD 600?!?! -- granted, an outlier.) I have found that, as the conventional wisdom on all these forums suggests, it's truly useful to stop down the Helomar to f/8 or beyond. My Helomar's wide-open performance is OK, but not great. While all the Noctiluxophiles around here condition us to shoot wide open a lot, it's not a great idea in this case. Even the nice triplets that Braunschweigers past put on these cameras are still triplets, not highly corrected 7-element beasts or computer-designed wonders with aspherical this&that. Pack faster films and leave your ND filters at home, thus forcing yourself toward smaller apertures.
--Dave

Zeiss Super Ikonta B 532/16
Old 02-17-2011   #312
RanceEric
The name is Rance

Zeiss Super Ikonta B 532/16

Zeiss Supe Ikonta B 532/16. Fantastic Christmas present! The camera was purchased from Keh.com in UG condition.. but I still cannot see why it was considered "Ugly".. These shot were taken in Philadelphia, PA.

Last edited by RanceEric : 02-17-2011 at 09:35.

Old 02-17-2011   #313
urs0polar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenticien View Post

--Dave

Bessa RF 6x9, Helomar 105/3.5 (same machine as urs0polar's in post #356 above). Portra NC-160. Exposure somewhere in the vicinity of 1/100 sec at f/11 if I recall, on tripod. Epson 4490 flatbed scan (sorry).

Wow, this is a pretty awesome photo! Yeah, maybe the helomar isn't supposed to be great, but I also get great results with it. Very 3D ... it also helps that 6x9 is basically about 1/2 of the film area of 4x5 ... so it's like the smallest semi-large format camera ever It really makes me think that those crazy expensive Voigtlander Heliars for large format just may have something to them...

Leica M6, Mamiya 7 II, Linhof Technica V, Voigtlander Bessa RF

Old 02-18-2011   #314
bigeye

Nice. We were memorably chased into the main harbor there by a waterspout one day. Beautiful quiet place and pace, otherwise.

- Charles

I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it. - Steven Wright

Last edited by bigeye : 02-18-2011 at 14:15.

Old 02-23-2011   #315
Argenticien
Dave

More from the Bessa, from same walk as the Pinnacle photo a few posts earlier above. Similar exposure. Post-processed only to fix a tilted horizon! (I still think it's not quite right, but it's close.)

--Dave

Old 02-26-2011   #316
l.mar

From a cir. 1950 Zeiss Ikonta C with Opton Tessar, Neopan in D-76.

Old 03-03-2011   #317
atlcruiser
Part Yeti

learning the baby crown graphic

cc mid849.jpg by urbanlandcruiser, on Flickr

leica M6 ttl
Hassy X Pan
Big ass Fuji G690BL
Some really BIG ASS LF stuff

my flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53092319@N04/

my website:
www.dearbornphoto.com

southeastern RFF flikr: Please look/join
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1643169@N21/?added=6

Old 03-05-2011   #318
marek_

Riga, Latvia.

Zeiss Nettar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tele tower__.jpg (167.2 KB, 36 views)

Old 03-06-2011   #319
Uwe_Nds
Chief Assistant Driver

Does the Moskva 5 count as "vintage"?

f8, Kodak Portra 400 VC, Epson V700.

Cheers,
Uwe

My photos on RFF

Project Sunshine

My website

Old 03-06-2011   #320
Brian Legge

Zenobia

I'd love a coupled folding rangefinder (or at least a 6x6 one) but every time I look at what I got out of the Zenobia, I feel like I ought to just stick with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/4811884969

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/4741032557

Moskva 5

So frustrating. The camera has so much potential but the hard shake when the shutter is tripped, insufficiently rigid front standard and poor coating (mine happens to have a drip down the middle..) kills this camera for me. If it weren't for the shake issue, I'd probably pick up another and try again. Maybe an Iskra if I happen across one at a decent price

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/4724855596

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cannelbrae/5294186285/

Old 03-06-2011   #321
charjohncarter

Agfa Isolette II, Apotar wide open, Kodak Portra 160NC:

Old 03-06-2011   #322
kuzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
Zenobia

I'd love a coupled folding rangefinder (or at least a 6x6 one) but every time I look at what I got out of the Zenobia, I feel like I ought to just stick with it.
One of my projects it to rebuild a Zenobia R. The last Zenobia 645 was an uncoupled (and accurate) rangefinder dubbed Zenobia R with the Neo Hesper lens.

The Zenobia are very well build copies of a Zeiss 6x4.5 folder and I've seen some great shots from both the Hesper Anastigmat lens and the Neo Hesper. The rangefinder was almost an un-noticed addition for the last model.

What you say is true. If 645 is your format of choice, and you like folders, the Zenobia is barely a handful and a great shooter.

When I heard about the R model, I went on a hunt. The one I have is the only example I ever found, along with another set of parts for the R model... (rangefinder parts, from another seller.

Old 03-06-2011   #323
kuzano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
Zenobia

One of my projects it to rebuild a Zenobia R. The last Zenobia 645 was an uncoupled (and accurate) rangefinder dubbed Zenobia R with the Neo Hesper lens.

The Zenobia are very well build copies of a Zeiss 6x4.5 folder and I've seen some great shots from both the Hesper Anastigmat lens and the Neo Hesper. The rangefinder was almost an un-noticed addition for the last model.

What you say is true. If 645 is your format of choice, and you like folders, the Zenobia is barely a handful and a great shooter.

NOTE: It is reported that there was an SR model (Super Rangefinder) which was coupled. Have never seen one of those listed anywhere, other than a reference on Camerapedia.

Certo Six
Old 03-07-2011   #324
P C Headland

Certo Six

Here's a couple from my Certo Six from a couple of weekends back:

Austin

Steam (engine running)

Shot with Fomapan 100 and the guess-o-matic meter.

Flickr -- Minus

Old 03-08-2011   #325
antonandreas

Here are a few from my Perkeo I cropped to 8x10:

Flickr