Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Miscellaneous Topics and more > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Old 12-17-2012   #26
Rob-F
Old School

For France, I took two Barnacks--IIIcs--for black & white. 50mm Collapsible SUmmicron; 35/2.5 CV; 28mm CV; 25mm CV. Plus an M7 with 40/1.4 CV, and adapters to let me use the other lenses on the M7 if desired.

For Color: one D-Lux 3 and one D-Lux 4.

It all worked out so well, I will go with pretty close to the same outfit next time. You can't get the sensors dirty on the D-lux cameras, because the lenses don't come off. Mostly I left the M7 in the apartment and went out with one Barnack around my neck, the other one in my vest pocket. I might have one D-Lux in hand, the other in a vest pocket. Or both in the pocket, taking one out as needed. Or both Barnacks in the vest, and one D-Lux out, in use. Very flexible and versatile!

I agree, film is not all that much of a bother. And I can print in the darkroom, and not on my noisy, ink-eating printer!

Old 12-17-2012   #27
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
...It may be more enjoyful to use an old Barnack for the old streets is Tuscany. I could leave behind the laptop and drive and cards and charger and batteries.

I would then carry film with me.
What do you think?
It sounds peaceful and relaxing! Where's the fun in that?

My Flickr

Old 12-17-2012   #28
Steve Bellayr

Much of it depends where you will be traveling. You should not need to worry about dust if you are not changing lenses. Why do you need a laptop to back up you images? With a film camera there is not back up. I look at it this way: Traveling/Vacation is for enjoyment and unless you are being paid to take photographs then photography is secondary to the enjoyment of the entire vacation. Not everything needs to be photographed.

Old 12-17-2012   #29
waynec

I never have a problem carrying digital and film. The charger goes into the checked bag and the rest carried on, no laptop, in a small bag. Really the idea is to buy enough cards. As far as carries, I'm becoming more a 1 body 2 lens guy when out shooting. My D is a Panasonic w/zoom, with an adapter for the 2 Nikon lenses I carry with a Nikon body and 2 filters, 2lb tripod . 2-3 rolls of film usually do it but I can always buy more. I'm becoming more discriminating in shots so I don't have to sit behind a computer forever; Bad back.

Old 12-17-2012   #30
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I like using my M8 and M9 when I am close to home. I was planning to take with me the SWC with its fixed 38mm lens, plus the M9 with a 35mm or 50mm lens.

Then I learned about the need to have a laptop and external drive for back-up, plus several memory cards. I also learned that dust spots may require the cleaning of the sensor, done preferably in a dustless room.

This all sounds rather complicated for overseas travel with a wife and two kids. I am now in Washington DC, and my only camera is a Tower 35 with a 50/2 Nikkor and a CV meter II. It is such a pleasure to take photos with this camera.

It may be more enjoyful to use an old Barnack for the old streets is Tuscany. I could leave behind the laptop and drive and cards and charger and batteries.

I would then carry film with me.
What do you think?
Someone much smarter than I said that on vacation you should take intimate portraits of your family in cafes and parks and narrow shady streets. For the rest, buy a big coffee table book; the photography will be better than anything you'll ever do.

Seventeen days in Italy looked pretty good to me through a Nikon F full of Tri-X. A Barnack in Tuscany? I think you would get some fantastic photographs (a lot will be in focus) that you will cherish always. That counts, doesn't it?

Old 12-17-2012   #31
28mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
With a film camera there is not back up.
Yeah, a lot of this cons for digital aren't valid because of this. Digital gives you the opportunity to back up your photos.

And think of spare batteries as rolls of films, and as long as you're rotating three, you can generally survive a week without needing a charger (unless you're shooting video).

Old 12-17-2012   #32
batey_1020

The thought of not being able to back up film had not yet occured to me.

Im not sure if this is something to thing about but shooting with family being fast i would assume is a good thing? Shooting a more modern camera in that case (something with metering and Apature priority) might save the family giving you the move along.

A lot of time tavel for me is about visiting places and relaxing. Taking photos is something i find relaxing hence it becomes a big part of my trips.

Leica M4, Bessa R2A, Summicron 50 and 35 f2, Tele Emirate 90 f2.8 and Elmar 5cm.f3.5
Ferrania Falco II vintage Folder

Old 12-17-2012   #33
umcelinho
Marcelo

with film you never know how many you'll need. so you end up taking way more than you think you'll need, gets a bit bulky. bulkier than a charger and 3 batteries and 2 spare memory cards, for sure.

to me a big advantage of digital on trips is that it's less likely losing photos due to user error or lousy lab. i've done trips both shooting film only and digital only. had 8 rolls scratched by a lousy lab, frustrating. in another trip i shot everything with film, and while changing film one day i opened the camera before rewinding, i just wasnt paying much attention to what i was doing. lost all my photos from genova and some others from cinqueterre, i could save some that weren't too badly damaged by the light leak, but it was again frustrating. also there are photos that i took on film that i was hoping for the best but came out just not so good. like one from a lava pit inside a full moon lit volcano crater in hawaii, long exposure, well metered but all 4 frames came out shaky... the ones i took with the x100 were fine.

ive done trips taking only a digital and it was a walk in the park in that sense. less volume to lug around, having instant review is great because you know you won't be going back there so soon, so you are sure you got the picture (you can be sure with film, but then you might be stupid like i was and screw up your film or have the lab do it for you). also the autonomy is much bigger, since you can take many more shots, have more raw material to then select and edit back home. i take a charger and 3 spare batteries usually, taking a laptop along with an external hd is just nonsense, it adds unnecessary bulk and it's a waste of trip time to edit photos while travelling, while you can be enjoying your time wherever you are. film has no backup anyway.

i love film, but for trips i think digital just suits best.
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 12-17-2012   #34

somewhat related question, how much film do you shoot on a trip ?
this somewhat affects the number of rolls to carry. on 2 recent trips,
i shot around 2 - 3 rolls a day. i decided to get those small "egg-cases"
to store the film to make the formfactor smaller.
The last 2 days are the worst, I agonize how much to shoot vs reserve.

raytoei

Old 12-17-2012   #35
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
buy a big coffee table book; the photography will be better than anything you'll ever do.
speak for yourself, buddy!

Old 12-17-2012   #36
Pioneer

Don't sweat it. Everyone seems to pack way more than they really need, especially in this battery dependent, digital world of ours. Take the Tower 3 (or Leica III), a 35 and a 50mm lens (both collapsible of course), 10 rolls of Tri-X (or your favorite color 400), and your favorite little light meter (a Sekonic L208 works great.) You will find more film to buy along the way. Mail the exposed stuff to yourself or to Adorama every now and then. If that is too much of a hassle then wrap it in a (clean) sock and stuff into the bottom of your backpack.

You can easily pack the camera, the spare lens and several spare rolls of film into one of those silly looking little fanny packs and it won't even count as carry on. It works, and everything is there at hand when you need it.

Your images may not look quite as good as that coffee table book, but there is no reason they can't. The equipment is certainly capable.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 12-17-2012   #37
Rayt

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
somewhat related question, how much film do you shoot on a trip ?
this somewhat affects the number of rolls to carry. on 2 recent trips,
i shot around 2 - 3 rolls a day. i decided to get those small "egg-cases"
to store the film to make the formfactor smaller.
The last 2 days are the worst, I agonize how much to shoot vs reserve.

raytoei
I always bring more film than necessary. The worse is to run out of film in a strange city. I got introduced to color Era film this way

Old 12-17-2012   #38
andersju

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcelinho View Post
i take a charger and 3 spare batteries usually, taking a laptop along with an external hd is just nonsense, it adds unnecessary bulk and it's a waste of trip time to edit photos while travelling, while you can be enjoying your time wherever you are. film has no backup anyway.

i love film, but for trips i think digital just suits best.
Agreed. Just because you can bring a boatload of digital accessories doesn't mean you have to. No need to overcomplicate things.

My lightweight digital kit is now an RX100 + a few extra batteries + small charger. I could basically put the camera in one jeans pocket and the rest in the other. Certainly less bulky than my lightweight film kit (GR1 + a dozen or so rolls).

I only ever use one memory card. A fast 32 GB SDHC card is like $20 these days. That's 1400-1500 RAW shots for me. If you're really trigger happy, 128 GB SDXC cards are $100. I've carried an extra card for years but never used it. Stamp-sized and 1/13 the weight of one roll of film, so I can manage.

No need to worry about anything magnetic, by the way:

""There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media."

(Busting the Biggest PC Myths)

Old 12-17-2012   #39
ped
Small brown dog

Digital really isn't difficult at all. Take a couple of batteries.

Threads like this always make me think people are trying to kid themselves that there's a place for film in their workflow, rather than just accepting that they're choosing film because they want to. Why the need to rationalise it like this?

Old 12-17-2012   #40
DriesI

On holidays my wife shoots a digital compact and I shoot colour film. We like to make an album of each trip.

After we get back, it takes her weeks to sort through her hundreds of images and then another three days to receive the prints in the mail.

While I just drop off my film and collect the prints next day, do a quick first selection of the prints and then could start making the album. On longer trips I have even had prints made locally, so my final edit was ready by the time we got home.

Old 12-18-2012   #41
Lund

I like to carry a camera that fits the occasion. Traveling with just a backpack around Europe, a good compact (I use a Minolta AF-C) and a 6x6 folder takes up almost no room and gives me what I need.

Trekking for a few days in the mountains. Still a folder. Hard to beat in regards to weight and quality in areas with no electricity.

I find it to be a wonderful freedom to be able to carry my entire luggage with ease. Makes me look like a backpacker/hobo when traveling. Therefore my cameras must be small and light. Film is usually better considering that.

Old 12-18-2012   #42
thegman

Mixed bag really, on one hand I like simplicity of film, not worrying about batteries, and also no temptation to sit in the hotel room reviewing photos where I should be out doing something. On the other hand, digital means you don't have pre-pick an ISO, you don't have to ensure you have enough film (SD cards are easily bought from the hotel lobby shops, Velvia, not so much), and digital, you can back up anywhere you have an internet connection which is fast enough. Film, well, there is no real backup solution, not on the move anyway.

Depending on where you are, a digital camera can be replaced easily, assuming your tastes are not too exotic, film camera, probably not so easy.

On balance, I think digital suits travel better, but I'll still stick to film for it's other qualities.

Old 12-18-2012   #43
mani

I've done both in the past, but nowadays I favor film for traveling. The biggest difference in my experience, is that film is less of a distraction - I take a shot and move on, feeling much more 'in the moment' of my vacation.

I always found that digital would distract me - I'd be anxious that I hadn't got the 'right' shot of a certain place, and in the evenings I'd sit and look through the day's images with a certain angst that I'd missed something.

This also meant that my vacation pictures were somewhat stale to me even before I got home.
In contrast, I love getting my negatives back from the lab and scanning them at leisure - sometimes discovering great beach images in the middle of a chilly winter.

Film cameras are also generally more reliable than digital, and SD cards can be corrupted, mislaid or dropped more easily than a roll of film. One time in Barcelona I used the (upmarket) hotel's PCs to generate DVD backups of my cards, and when I got home and back to my Mac, found that virus files were plentifully present both on the DVD disks and the SD cards. (I know to lock the cards if I ever need to do anything similar in the future).

I think generally a totally mechanical and manual film camera will always outshine a computer-cam that needs constant recharging and backing-up.

Old 12-18-2012   #44
jarski

for short few week holiday, guess it does not matter much, film or digi. but for longer travel, digital is a must IMO. having computer/tablet (+ all chargers etc.) is good to have with anyway. never thought of doubling the chargers like someone above, only usb-disks for space and backup.

Old 12-18-2012   #45
daveleo
beat up Domke kind of guy

For ease or convenience, I don't think one is a clear winner over the other, unless you are taking your tablet or netbook with you . . . then digital has to win. At night, copy off the day's SD card while changing for dinner, and there you go. Even post some snaps to you 'blog ( ? ) or send an email snap to the folks back home.

http://www.cafephotos.net

Never buy a toy you can't afford to throw away.

Old 12-18-2012   #46
raid
Dad Photographer

I have the family with me, so taking time out for uploading files will be frowned upon. This is the most critical factor for me. I want my wife to enjoy the traveling. I wonder if the responses above may slightly differ with the family factor included.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-18-2012   #47
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelaaron View Post
Well, then there's the cost/time of processing the film, scanning it, etc.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses, in my opinion. But yes, if by less complicated, you mean while out and about shooting, then I would agree.
Exactly the last sentence. And if I'm longer abroad I will send the exposed rolls by registered mail directly to my developing and scanning provider. Or to my home address.

Old 12-18-2012   #48
Michalm

As long as you can have all your film hand checked at the airports its fine but other than that digital is more practical , having said that i regret my trip to Mexico wasn't shot on film.

Old 12-18-2012   #49
menthel
Not very good...

You don't back up your films whilst travelling, so why bother with memory cards? If you do bother then digital is much more fail safe than film. I find digital easier to travel with as long as I have a couple of memory cards and some charged batteries. My 7d will do ~2000 shots with 2 batteries in the grip (usually on for wildlife). I will also see my digital photos far quicker than my film ones at the rate I get round to developing them!

Old 12-18-2012   #50
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalm View Post
having said that i regret my trip to Mexico wasn't shot on film.
May I ask why?