Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-22-2012   #26
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo_Smith View Post
Apparently it was the first NC machined camera
Now that is somewhat unlikely as a attribute for a 1981 camera, more than a decade after CNC had become a regular technology in consumer goods production. All of the affordable, advanced small consumer SLRs from the seventies used CNC machining in the production - that is one of the reasons they could drop price and size while adding features. If any, it may have been the first to pass some particular CNC milestone like cutting from a solid block (rather than a cast raw body), cutting from some particular alloy or doing all steps on a single machine.

My guess would be that Zeiss Ikon were first to use CNC on their late cameras, as by the late sixties Zeiss as a whole was more into CNC equipment than optics - throughout the seventies the Zeiss subsidiary (and former shutter maker) Prontor was the leading CNC machinery supplier world wide...

Old 12-22-2012   #27
raid
Dad Photographer

I am surprised by the overwhelming support for the Canon. I am used to seeing people favoring the Nikon.

In my case, I sold some Nikkor lenses, and I stuck with the FD line for about 20 years. The F1N is. Verywell built camera, with lot of accessories and three different meyering patterns, depending on the screen installed. I went with the Canon since the Nikon did not have a spotmeter while the F1N had this option. These days, and if you are starting new, without having lenses, either of the two cameras, Nikon or Canon, is a bargain.

Note that the F1N differs from the F1 or the F1n. The F1 and the F1n are mechanical, and I know that the F1n has mirror lock-up and an easier to use meter button tjan the F1.

The F1N is very different.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 12-22-2012   #28
drinkingeye

Almost 30 years carrying this set around the world, no technical issues so far. It's built like a tank, it's a joy to use. FD glass is fantastic and still available at fair prices. This is one piece of equipment I can't imagine to get rid of...

Canon 7s, Canonet Giii 17, FED 2, Zorki 4, Yashica Lynx 14
Hassy H1 H3DII
501c, Bessa III 667, Pentacon Six TL, Plaubel Makina 67, Bronica RF
Leica III,IIIc,IIIf, M9, M Monochrom, MP, M6TTL, M4, M2, M3
Pentax (D)SLR

Old 12-22-2012   #29
rlouzan

The only issue I have with Canon FD lenses is the use of Fluorite in some "L"lenses, extremly sensitive to humidity.

Old 12-22-2012   #30
Photo_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Now that is somewhat unlikely as a attribute for a 1981 camera, more than a decade after CNC had become a regular technology in consumer goods production. All of the affordable, advanced small consumer SLRs from the seventies used CNC machining in the production - that is one of the reasons they could drop price and size while adding features. If any, it may have been the first to pass some particular CNC milestone like cutting from a solid block (rather than a cast raw body), cutting from some particular alloy or doing all steps on a single machine.

My guess would be that Zeiss Ikon were first to use CNC on their late cameras, as by the late sixties Zeiss as a whole was more into CNC equipment than optics - throughout the seventies the Zeiss subsidiary (and former shutter maker) Prontor was the leading CNC machinery supplier world wide...
Just going by what they said in their brochure (pictured under the camera in my shot) First camera to be completely made by CNC lathes?
Companies do this all the time–I can't verify it.
They also sais it was laser welded and laser focusing screens as a first–can't verify that either.
The screen was the brightest I've seen the prism wouldn't black out at any aperture.

Old 12-22-2012   #31
Fraser

I've still got a couple of New F1s bought them new-ish when I was a student 20 odd years ago still going strong, I've had an F3 in the past and never really liked it so if I had to choose between the two it would be the canon. I know if I had to choose a camera from that era and I know its not really an option for you but I would go for either an F4 or a Eos 1v.

Old 12-22-2012   #32
Nikos72

And here we go! I have received my F1N, and it has some serious issue With a fresh battery it had fired once. Now, when I have the battery in it does not fire. When I take it out it does (I guess mechanically).
Blame my bad luck, or I am doing things wrong?

Old 12-22-2012   #33
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
And here we go! I have received my F1N, and it has some serious issue With a fresh battery it had fired once. Now, when I have the battery in it does not fire. When I take it out it does (I guess mechanically).
Blame my bad luck, or I am doing things wrong?
Film in it? With motor attached the F1N will wind to frame 0 without having to fire blank frames, IIRC - and most cameras that do that won't fire with no film loaded. Without batteries it fires the short times mechanically, and there that mechanism probably would not apply.

Old 12-22-2012   #34
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I have a Nikon F3, and it is a beautiful, easy to use, durable camera. I have never liked Nikon's lenses for black and white work, however. I have always wanted a Canon F1N, but the silly prices they command keep me from getting one. On Ebay they go for over $300 for ones that are beat to hell. My F3 costs $200 in near perfect condition! Why is the Canon, a camera from a dead system that is not at all rare, so high priced?

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Like My Work on Facebook

Old 12-22-2012   #35
FrankS

I have both. (3x F3) I re bought an F1n recently as it is a very worthy camera, but I feel more comfortable with the F3 because of my long history with Nikon cameras.

Old 12-22-2012   #36
raid
Dad Photographer

I have used my F1N for many years, with the T90 as the back-up camera. I use the MD and battery cord to power the F1N in very old weather. I may have ten screens for it, with some being treated by Maxwell for extra brightness. I have the 6x speedfinder for it.
It makes using the F1N a charm.

I use my FD lenses, including the 500/4.5L and the 85/1.2L, which are two of the best FD lenses.

Old 12-22-2012   #37
Nikos72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
Film in it? With motor attached the F1N will wind to frame 0 without having to fire blank frames, IIRC - and most cameras that do that won't fire with no film loaded. Without batteries it fires the short times mechanically, and there that mechanism probably would not apply.
Unfortunately I do not have a winder with it. It fired once, but now it just stays won't fire when I put a fresh battery in it. It meters perfectly, but it does not fire. I have it with the AE Prism.

Old 12-22-2012   #38
Frontman

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have a winder with it. It fired once, but now it just stays won't fire when I put a fresh battery in it. It meters perfectly, but it does not fire. I have it with the AE Prism.

Download the instruction manual and have a look at it. As the saying goes: "when all else fails, read the directions". There are several reasons why the camera may not fire; make sure you know what are doing. If it still won't work, return it and get the Nikon.

Old 12-22-2012   #39
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

Quote:
My F1N AE meter (bottom) is fine, shutter priority meter needle doesn't bounce up even with a new battery. I took it to a reputable service shop for free estimate, they can't fix it because they either don't have parts no more or cost too much to repair.
- Nikon D700, Nikon 50/1.8D
Zenfolio Referral Code: ATX-95C-VDZ

Old 12-22-2012   #40
Nikos72

The needle moves and shows correct information, but when it comes to fire the shutter... Bam! Nothing happens. I thought I had jammed the camera by trying to set the lens to A, but after removing it no luck!

Old 12-23-2012   #41
Noserider
Christiaan Phleger

Well, late to the party. I was going to say choose the Nikon, repairs are still available along with parts. Canon F1N are getting very hard to repair. If you've been using yours for 20 years without a problem Great, keep shooting. But when it stops working, be prepared for either no way to fix it or really really expensive. The F1N had/has a hybrid shutter that can be challenging to repair on the electronic side. Much like the Pentax LX.
Sorry yours only gave you one frame. It was a fine camera in the day, I used that and the F-1n for a while, nice lenses especially the 135F2.

Old 12-23-2012   #42
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have a winder with it.
That does not answer my question. Did you try with film loaded?

Old 12-23-2012   #43
Nikos72

Ehm! No, but here comes a xmas miracle. I have removed the lens to get a look inside, found nothing (as expected), re-attached it, and now it fires normally!
That is both good news and bad news. Good because it works, bad because nobody knows if this will ever happen again!

Old 12-23-2012   #44
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
I own one Canon F-1N from the mid 1980s and two Nikon F3HP's Truthfully, they are both amazing cameras. I guess the first question is do you own FD or Nikkor Ai(s) lenses? That would pretty much solve your situation. If you're starting from scratch, flip a coin. You can't go wrong either way.

Old 12-23-2012   #45
rlouzan

Perhaps the lens was not seated properly. What lens are you using? Canon breach or SCC?

Quote:
Ehm! No, but here comes a xmas miracle. I have removed the lens to get a look inside, found nothing (as expected), re-attached it, and now it fires normally!
That is both good news and bad news. Good because it works, bad because nobody knows if this will ever happen again!

Old 12-23-2012   #46
mfogiel

Check the electrical contacts, give them a little rub with a fine sandpaper. Sometimes these oxidize in older cameras, I was once going crazy with a winder that would not fire...

Old 12-23-2012   #47
rlouzan

One other thing, don't lose your Canon FD rear lens caps - breach and SCC are not interchangeable.

Old 12-23-2012   #48
HuubL
hunter-gatherer

There are no electrical contacts in the lens mount for communication with the lens. FD is purely mechanical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Check the electrical contacts, give them a little rub with a fine sandpaper. Sometimes these oxidize in older cameras, I was once going crazy with a winder that would not fire...

Old 12-23-2012   #49
kermaier

I made several mistakes: I sold my FD 24/1.4L, 85/1.2L and 135/2 -- little did I know that m4/3 etc would give new life to the FD mount! Held onto my 50/1.2L though -- couldn't bring myself to sell it.
::Ari

Old 12-23-2012   #50
raid
Dad Photographer

Among my better FD lenses, I also have the 35/2.8 tilt-shift, the 50/1.2l, the 70-210 Angenieux, the 19/3.5 FL, ....