Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013   #41
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbylon View Post
I really don't see what the problem is. You chose to buy at the price you paid. It was just bad timing on your part.
Even that's a bit overly generous to the OP. Look, the camera had a set price when the OP purchased it. He either needed/could justify the purchase at that time, or not. It is not the seller's responsibility to say whether an outlay of funds in exchange for a piece of equipment is a good idea or not. Nikon's lowering of the price did not in any way change the utility of the machine once purchased. The only thing that was potentially affected was resale value. But anyone who pays the slightest attention to digital cameras knows that camera bodies depreciate rapidly, and need to be viewed as consumables, like film.

Which brings us to the real question: are we buying gear for the sake of buying gear, or because we want/need the photographic capabilities offered by that gear? There is a huge difference between the former and the latter.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 01-13-2013   #42
Pablito
coco frío

Sony may make fantastic cameras but they are notorious for very short support period of product after release. Already they won't repair a number of their FF DSLRs, I am told by some colleagues that use them. THAT is something to complain about.

Old 01-13-2013   #43
Pablito
coco frío

So I went looking for the $700 rebate on the D600 and I can't find it anywhere. All the usual places are listing it at just under $2K. Oh well, I would have bought one at $1400 as a backup for the D800.

Old 01-13-2013   #44
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
A lot of people are acting like paying $700 too much is the equivalent of losing a $20 bill. I'd have to say it depends on how many weeks a "matter of weeks" is, but if I had paid several hundred more for something than it was worth, I'd be mad too.
He didn't pay $700 too much, though - he obviously thought the camera was worth the asking price, otherwise it would have stayed on the dealer's shelf. I know it's natural to feel a little cheated if the price drops afterwards, but it still doesn't mean he's entitled to a refund.

Old 01-13-2013   #45
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
It wasn't a rebate.

Here is what the special promotion was:
So the OP is so disgruntled at not receiving this US only special offer beginner pack bundle that he sells his whole kit at a loss? Oh well, to each his own...

Old 01-13-2013   #46
bobbyrab

I usually buy my work cameras in pairs but this time the initial 5d markiii price was too high for me to contemplate that, so wanting the higher iso usability I bought one at the full price and waited for the inevitable price drop before buying the second, sure enough I recently bought the second less than a year after the first and a wopping £1100 less than the first.
That's how the market for Canon/Nikon works. It's a shame it's not the same with Leica, if I can't afford the release price I have to buy second hand, you begin to think that towards the end of their production run they're held artificially high

Old 01-13-2013   #47
tom.w.bn

Especially this camera seems to be an example of very bad pricing by the company. Just looked up the price development. It started in Germany at 1998 EUR and 4 months later the price dropped by 22%. Couldn't find such a dramatic loss with 2 other high priced cameras I looked up (5D Mk III dropped 8% from start to 4 month later). I can fully understand that you feel ripped off.

Old 01-13-2013   #48
willie_901

Every day I inch closer to completely replacing all my Nikon equiptment (2 D700s, 2 super-wide Nikkor zooms and a bunch of new and old primes) for Fuji X APS-C bodies and lenses.

The Nikon stuff is just too big and heavy. Nikon's quality seems to be going down hill too. I had a D300 that constantly spit oil all over the sensor at random intervals for two years. The AF issues with the D800 bother me too. Even their prime lenses just get bigger and bigger. They don't have a tilt-shift lens I can use.

Unfortunately right now tethered operation via an iPhone or iPad (my clients love this) is only supported for the major brands. Another issue is my clients expect me to use a large DSLR, but eventually the end product will win out.

I doubt I will own any Nikon equiptment a year from now. I certainly won't miss lugging all that stuff around.

williamchuttonjr.com, FLICKR,

Old 01-13-2013   #49
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

At $1000 more than the D600, the A99 is kind of pricey, but I hear it's great! Enjoy it Dave.

Old 01-13-2013   #50
Chris101
Lazy Lytro Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
... tethered operation via an iPhone or iPad (my clients love this) is only supported for the major brands. Another issue is my clients expect me to use a large DSLR, but eventually the end product will win out.

I doubt I will own any Nikon equiptment a year from now. I certainly won't miss lugging all that stuff around.
I find it big and heavy too, but it's useful none-the-less. But where can I find information about tethering to an iphone? I'd LOVE that in a studio, but haven't been able to find much information on line about how to do it. Tethered to laptop using Nikon's software yes. To an iphone, no.

Old 01-13-2013   #51
Michalm

What did you expect. D600 at start was selling at nearly as high rate as d800 here in UK at least , no wonder the price would have to go down quickly. I would really stay away from Nikon because of very poor quality control and customer care that is atrocious rather then pricing of their equipment . Sony is doing lot better in this matter. Pity they gave up OVF on theirs Dslr's though .

Old 01-13-2013   #52
tom.w.bn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
I find it big and heavy too, but it's useful none-the-less. But where can I find information about tethering to an iphone? I'd LOVE that in a studio, but haven't been able to find much information on line about how to do it. Tethered to laptop using Nikon's software yes. To an iphone, no.
Maybe look at the Triggertrap app. You have to buy a camera connector separately to connect camera and iphone but then you can do a lot of things remotely.

Old 01-13-2013   #53
celluloidprop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusDLK View Post
My point is that early adopters were screwed. Dropping the price by ~25% within the first six months or so was an insult. It showed me that the camera was overpriced in the first place and I was gouged when I could be.
You made the choice to buy the D600 at full retail. Nikon didn't force you to do so or charge you more than anyone else who bought it the same day you did.

Perhaps you should be upset with yourself for paying an early-adopter tax rather than waiting for a good deal?

Old 01-13-2013   #54
Harry Lime
Practitioner

I'm sorry to hear that you are upset by this, but this is just the price we pay in a world where the pace of technology advances at an ever increasing rate.

I had preordered the D600 and got it within a day or two after it was released. It was a little over $2000 and now less than a half year later they are going for as little as $1699. Am I upset? Surprised? No, that's just the way things work and I am certainly not going to shoot myself in the foot and dump what is one of the best cameras around and a system that I am more than 10 years invested in, just because of an unfortunate price drop. Every company does this and very few will give you a refund on the price drop if you purchased the camera shortly before hand.

Everyone knows that early adapters end up paying a premium and that prices drop a short time after. Anyone seeking to avoid that should wait 6 months before purchasing.

I think this was more than predictable with the D600, which unlike the D800/D4, is intended as a mass market product by Nikon to expand their base. The D600 was intended to get shooters on to the FF bandwagon and it was going to be priced aggressively. Interestingly the price has dropped to the original rumored price of $1699.

Old 01-13-2013   #55
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy101 View Post

However, here on the Alpha side, live is great. Visit us other Alphists over at Dyxum.com. It has great resources. Second hand Minolta AF lenses work perfect on your A99, so some great deals are to be had
Thanks for the tip on this forum. I just joined.

And as for Minolta lenses, I picked up the 24-50 f/4 for the A99. While it may not be of the super-duper highest optical quality, it's the perfect daily lens for me. Compact and covers the focal lengths I need.

Old 01-13-2013   #56
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

Just let me add... I have a very specific gripe with Nikon. It's not at all about the expected swift depreciation of digital cameras.

Old 01-13-2013   #57
rlouzan

Travis,

This is not always the case. Several years ago I had a major problem with Leica USAs customer service, over a lens rebate that they would not honor. The dealer talked to them to no avail. I called them several times but they still wouldn't budge. They treated me like s%$# .
Finally, after I threatend them with immediate legal action they came to their senses. Sometimes you do what you have to.

Regards,
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis L. View Post
If I learned anything in the decade or so I worked at a camera store. It's that you never communicate problems like this directly with the company.
Be it Nikon, Sony, Canon, whoever. You fall back on the dealer, and we in turn would turn it over to our sales rep to do the dirty work.
Most of our reps gave us a couple week grace period when it came to rebates and warranty claims. A happy customer was in their best interest.
I can't remember ever having an issue like this that went unresolved.

Old 01-13-2013   #58
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
http://www.camranger.com/

williamchuttonjr.com, FLICKR,

Old 01-13-2013   #59
Range-rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Omg. I can understand being mad about sensor issues, for sure. Anger about price drops is ridiculous. My Sony nex 5n is not worth half what it was a year ago. Should I be pissed?

Early adopters always take risks to have cool stuff first. Look at the Fuji rush and hangover. The funny thing is how sony's desperate quest for market share drew such a chorus of pshaws. The nex 5 was laughed at widely at inception.

Basically the whole point of 35mm photography began with the idea of a truly portable camera. Contax began the bloat, and the Slr revolution, sans Olympus, pushed it. But these huge FF DSLRs are over the top, a99 and even the m9 included. We will soon have an FF the size of the original Leica, and it's long past time.
Your right they are large, I think the problem is they put so much in
feature wise that they won't get any smaller, and when are we going
to see a FF for under $1000 dollars most likely never their having to
much fun over charger us for features that we don't need or ever use.

Range

Old 01-13-2013   #60
Travis L.
Registered Userino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouzan View Post
Travis,

This is not always the case. Several years ago I had a major problem with Leica USAs customer service, over a lens rebate that they would not honor. The dealer talked to them to no avail. I called them several times but they still wouldn't budge. They treated me like s%$# .
Finally, after I threatend them with immediate legal action they came to their senses. Sometimes you do what you have to.

Regards,
Robert
Obviously individual results will vary, sorry you had a problem.

Old 01-13-2013   #61
jtm6

Quote:
Just let me add... I have a very specific gripe with Nikon. It's not at all about the expected swift depreciation of digital cameras.
I noticed this in your original post - it wasn't just the money but rather how they handled the situation. If it is within a certain period, I try for a price adjustment from the retailer. If they don't do that, I buy the new one and return the other new one. If the retailer won't do that, I'd go to VISA or whomever handled the transaction. If it is beyond the fair/contract period, I'd consider myself SOL and I'd live with it. But I do understand the offensive nature of how some companies handle their customers.

Also, AFAIK Nikon always has holiday promotions. I never buy until that info comes out.

(Please note I bought an $150 F3 to use with my Nikkor lenses because I got tired of waiting for a reasonable FF from Nikon, then the D800 waiting list fiasco, then the D800 defective AF fiasco. Recently I had a bit of buyer's remorse thinking I should have bought a D600 with the crazy holiday promotions. But my D600 research turned up the info about its own defect fiasco. I'll stick with my old tech for the time being. It tends to work.)

Old 01-13-2013   #62
Peter_wrote:

really? buying luxury goods (buying a D600 as early adopter is nothing else than that) and then be obsessed because of the price?

i know this wealthy people so well. always buying stuff, they don't need, and throwing half of it away then. but in the supermarket they argue with a salesperson because of the price of the sausage.
always looking on the own benefits and always living in fear that others outsmarts them.
they themselves would never be generous to others though and always insist on "their rights".

if that happened to me, i just would think, ok, bad luck. i can at least understand somehow, if someone tries to ask for a price reduction. but getting obsessed because of not getting it? thats ridiculous.

anyway, you haven't lost money. you just don't like the thought, that other would get your luxury good for a lower price now...

and i am not on the side of big companies. especially in warranty issues e.g. but i assume the managers of such companies are of the same spirit as the thread starter.

all this greed for money nowadays which confirms under the euphemism neoconservatism.

Old 01-13-2013   #63
Mark C

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalintrigue View Post
It wasn't a rebate.

Here is what the special promotion was:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/14/...round-the-web/

Canon had a similar promotion on the 5D III that saved several hundred dollars. It also is no longer available.
You've got to be kidding. I should have looked more carefully into the OP and not fallen for this. I remember that promotion now, and should have had the common sense to realize there never was a $700 rebate.

Old 01-13-2013   #64
Addy101

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on this forum. I just joined.

And as for Minolta lenses, I picked up the 24-50 f/4 for the A99. While it may not be of the super-duper highest optical quality, it's the perfect daily lens for me. Compact and covers the focal lengths I need.
You're welcome and welcome to Dyxum

That 24-40/4 is considered quite good, it is one of the original Minoltas released with the first AF cameras. If it is your focal length, the 30-70/4 and 70210/4 also are very capable lenses... But just look around on Dyxum and you'll will learn about them all!!

Old 01-13-2013   #65
nobbylon

I wrote a whole post about sour grapes and Leica beta testing but thought better of posting it

Old 01-13-2013   #66
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
Early adopters always take risks to have cool stuff first. Look at the Fuji rush and hangover.
Risks, yes. Fuji hangover? Absolutely not. The X1Pro that I bought at full retail, and the X-E1 that I bought at full retail when the X1P was stolen, were two of the best camera purchases I've ever made.

Have they depreciated? They're digital bodies, for Pete's sake! Of course they will be worthless within four or five years.

Digital cameras are only "investments" in the sense that buying film or enlarging paper or printer ink or a plane ticket to a place with good photo opportunities is an "investment."

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 01-13-2013   #67
zuiko85

This is why I only buy stuff after it is discontinued. If you are going to be an early adopter, if you just can't wait,.......well that comes with some risk to your pocketbook.

Thinking of upgrading my Olympus E-410 to an E1, they are less than $200 used now.

Old 01-13-2013   #68
x-ray

Scan your letter a d post it. You ask for sympathy but you post no proof you were abuse.

Old 01-13-2013   #69
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
You've got to be kidding. I should have looked more carefully into the OP and not fallen for this. I remember that promotion now, and should have had the common sense to realize there never was a $700 rebate.
Right... it's not like you were going to pay $1,4000. Now that I see what it was about I find the original complaint even more bizarre...

Old 01-13-2013   #70
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Nikon offering a $700 rebate within weeks of my buying a D600 at full price followed by Nikon USA's insulting email correspondence and inaction afterward as I sought some recourse, has ended my 40 year love for Nikon and its cameras.

Gone is the D600 and shortly all of my Nikon gear (except for my 1960s Nikomat and 43-86mm zoom).

Enter the brave new world of the Sony A99. Wow.

So, good riddance Nikon -- this disrespected former customer will never buy or recommend one of your products ever again.
Wow...got up on the wrong side of the bed? I'm loving my D800.

Future shock
Old 01-13-2013   #71
enasniearth

Future shock

Yes I bought the iPad 2 two weeks before the iPad 3 came out , so paid too much .
Still my friends that were Nikon nuts and went with canon ( total support and amazing lend program) are back with Nikon although Nikon professional services are not as user friendly . Why , well Nikon has finally figured it out and the cameras are top notch .
You can piss and moan about paying too much , when they all came out they were expensive . Its a new world and the best cameras are disposable when the newest model hits . Technology is always improving , and today's wonder child is tomorrow's discount loss leader .

Old 01-13-2013   #72
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

If the OP's logic were to be followed... what then with those people who bought their D600 at a lower price? Once prices revert to their original level, can dealers approach them and ask them to pay the difference to them?

Just wondering... Best of luck with Sony, Dave!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 01-13-2013   #73
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_wrote: View Post
really? buying luxury goods (buying a D600 as early adopter is nothing else than that) and then be obsessed because of the price?

i know this wealthy people so well. always buying stuff, they don't need, and throwing half of it away then. but in the supermarket they argue with a salesperson because of the price of the sausage.
always looking on the own benefits and always living in fear that others outsmarts them.
they themselves would never be generous to others though and always insist on "their rights".

if that happened to me, i just would think, ok, bad luck. i can at least understand somehow, if someone tries to ask for a price reduction. but getting obsessed because of not getting it? thats ridiculous.

anyway, you haven't lost money. you just don't like the thought, that other would get your luxury good for a lower price now...

and i am not on the side of big companies. especially in warranty issues e.g. but i assume the managers of such companies are of the same spirit as the thread starter.

all this greed for money nowadays which confirms under the euphemism neoconservatism.
haha, very succinct.
to the OP..harden up, you are living the system you so believe in, so what exactly is the whining about?

Old 01-13-2013   #74
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_wrote: View Post

Well said, tovarich

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 01-13-2013   #75
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Quote:
Nikon offering a $700 rebate within weeks of my buying a D600 at full price followed by Nikon USA's insulting email correspondence and inaction afterward as I sought some recourse, has ended my 40 year love for Nikon and its cameras.

Gone is the D600 and shortly all of my Nikon gear (except for my 1960s Nikomat and 43-86mm zoom).

Enter the brave new world of the Sony A99. Wow.

So, good riddance Nikon -- this disrespected former customer will never buy or recommend one of your products ever again.
Well...I guess you showed them.
We're really gonna miss you.
Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Old 01-13-2013   #76
Boris Stupak
-

Big senses of entitlement. The world owes everyone "protection" against your own decisions.

Personally, I never make advance orders or buy the first releases of any camera/electronic item. It's not life or death to have the "newest" instantly, that also stems from a bizarre sense of entitlement.

Who are these people who camp out waiting to get the "first" iPhones or gadgets? Insanity. Advanced adolescence.

Old 01-13-2013   #77
jarski

early adopters are always screwed, by the companies (price drops, immature software etc.) and later adopters (lower prices and mature software).

Old 01-13-2013   #78
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
early adopters are always screwed, by the companies (price drops, immature software etc.) and later adopters (lower prices and mature software).
It is a clever move by the companies to let people pay a premium price to become beta-tester for a high-tech product that becomes obsolete quickly...

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 01-13-2013   #79
AusDLK
Famous Photographer

Okay, okay. Uncle! Uncle!

Let's close this thread.

Old 01-13-2013   #80
Frontman

"Let the buyer beware" is one of the oldest sayings in existence.

I bought a new Jeep Rubicon some years ago, and I paid the sticker price for it ($30,000). Not a week later Jeep began advertising a $2500 rebate for Wrangler models. I didn't complain, or ask for any part of the rebate. I agreed to the price I paid for the Jeep the moment I handed over my money.

I see no logic in the OP's complaint. He thought the price he paid was fair when he bought the camera, otherwise he would have bought something else. Nikon was under no obligation whatsoever to offer compensation for items sold before the rebate was enacted, and for the OP to complain that they didn't is nothing short of childish.

Should I demand some sort of refund for my old D300 when the price for new D300 cameras was reduced by 40%? Of course not. Digital cameras depreciate at a frightful rate, as anyone who has been shooting one for 6 months or more would know.

Nikon's response might have been better or more polite, but they were probably more than a little surprised, and possibly even annoyed at such a query.

As for Nikon caring only about their "bottom line", of course they do. A strong bottom line is necessary for them to meet their obligations, to create and develop, and to increase their business. Increasing their business allows them to hire more people, buy more materials, and produce more of the things you and I want to have. The suppliers spend the money Nikon pays them to pay their own staff, who spend their money buying products or services that your own employer may provide, which indirectly benefits you.

Companies which earn a strong profit don't pay it all to their executives, or stuff it into a mattress, the money is invested in other ventures which also indirectly benefits you and I.

When you buy and pay for something, that's it, unless there is a problem with the product you bought. Buyers have just as much responsibility in a transaction as sellers do.

Closed Thread