Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Polaroids

Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Polaroids Dedicated to Lomo / Diana, Holga, Pinhole, and Polaroid photography. Not recommended for those endlessly obsessing over the sharpest lens.

Old 04-22-2012   #51
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Very good thread this. Maybe the fact that each frame burns a $1 hole in you pocket makes you think twice before pushing the button helps. Rather like the MF and LF syndrome Roger talks about (the more expensive the frame, the more inclined your are to make it a keeper)

Really like the look of that 664 film, if the scans are anyway near the prints in tonality, it certainly is much less contrasty than FP3000B.

This is FP100C however, Land Camera 250

Field of blue (colour) by Eirik0304, on Flickr

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Zorki I| Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV | Exa
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | Kalloflex K2 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 04-22-2012   #52
dallard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
Very good thread this. Maybe the fact that each frame burns a $1 hole in you pocket makes you think twice before pushing the button helps. Rather like the MF and LF syndrome Roger talks about (the more expensive the frame, the more inclined your are to make it a keeper)

Really like the look of that 664 film, if the scans are anyway near the prints in tonality, it certainly is much less contrasty than FP3000B.

This is FP100C however, Land Camera 250

Field of blue (colour) by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Love the blue! I've been toying around with the idea of picking up a 250. Metal build and a glass lens are very tempting...
I just got my prints out and they look less contrasty and darker than my scans, with more highlight detail and better tonality. I should really re-scan them. If you can find some 664 you should definitely try it.
On the subject of fp-100c, I'm finding that mine get what looks like pitting on the surface after they dry. Do you have this problem?

Old 04-22-2012   #53
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Thanks.

Pitting of the surface? Yes, that does happen. I´ve seen it on Fp100C and 3000B. Especially if I wait too long before separating film and negative, or if it is warm (or very cold). I also try to keep the print out of bright sunlight until it is dry.

The 250? It seemed to me like the best mix of features of all the 100 Pack film cameras. Metal bodied, glass lens, Zeiss finder, no development timer. I love mine, its great fun.

My Flickr

Old 04-22-2012   #54
HLing

I liked the Auto 100 for slowing me down to focus in one window and compose in another, but it's nice to have the Auto 250 where it's all in one.

Pardon the scanning.

Old 04-24-2012   #55
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

To be quite honest, why should Polaroids be be classified alongside Dianas, Holgas and other toy cameras?

The 100 series auto Pack film cameras are rangefinders as good as any, yes some may have plastic lenses, none the less a rangefinder.
The SX-70's are SLR's, at least the first versions
Pathfinders, if still in use (and modified) are also rangefinders

Should we open a Polaroid 100 Pack film in the other rangefinder section? Give them their due credit? The SX-70 SLR's under the SLR section?

My Flickr

Old 04-24-2012   #56
dallard

Some fp100c for a change. I noticed while looking over my old prints that the fuji stuff curls a lot while the polaroid stays flat.

img004 by daviz121, on Flickr

img003 by daviz121, on Flickr
More 664. I really love this film

img002 by daviz121, on Flickr

img001 by daviz121, on Flickr

Old 04-24-2012   #57
pdexposures

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallard View Post
I noticed while looking over my old prints that the fuji stuff curls a lot while the polaroid stays flat.
Really? None of my fuji prints have any curl to them. What conditions are yours being stored in?

Also, looking through this thread is making me feel the need to devote more time to my pack cameras.

Leica M6- 35mm Cron V3 / 50mm Cron V3 / 90mm Elmar-C
Hasselblad 500cm - 80mm Planar
Nikon FM3a - 50mm 1.4 Nikkor

www.pdexposures.com <- Film camera reviews, podcast, flim news and general tom foolery

Old 04-24-2012   #58
dallard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdexposures View Post
Really? None of my fuji prints have any curl to them. What conditions are yours being stored in?

Also, looking through this thread is making me feel the need to devote more time to my pack cameras.
I keep them in their boxes laying flat on my desk. It's not humid where I live at all. I've got 100b, 3000b, and 100c and they're all curly but the black and whites are the worst. But the Polaroid 664, Chocolate, and Sepia films are all perfectly flat. It's not a big deal, just makes scanning a pain.
This thread has made me look over all my prints and I second your sentiment about shooting more pack film.

pack film pack
Old 04-24-2012   #59
HLing

pack film pack

Interesting. My FP100c and FP3000B don't curl much, except right when I peel them apart. They dry pretty flat.

"Chocolate film"? sounds delicious. Do you have samples, Dallard?

I agree about pack film: let's make a pack film Pack!

Quote:
I keep them in their boxes laying flat on my desk. It's not humid where I live at all. I've got 100b, 3000b, and 100c and they're all curly but the black and whites are the worst. But the Polaroid 664, Chocolate, and Sepia films are all perfectly flat. It's not a big deal, just makes scanning a pain.
This thread has made me look over all my prints and I second your sentiment about shooting more pack film.

Old 04-24-2012   #60
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Woodland path by Eirik0304, on Flickr

My Flickr

Old 04-24-2012   #61
eurekaiv

I just finished my first pack of FP-100C pack film in a Polaroid 360 I picked up. Not sure if it's me or the camera but both Fuji packs I've run through ate the first few frames when the white tab tore off without revealing the film tab. I might be instructionally challenged but I can't see anything I'm doing wrong and the stuff works fine after frame 3 or so. :shrug: In any case, here's my favorite shot—great looking stuff IMO. I'm going to order some more.

Santa Ana Boxing Club by eurekaiv, on Flickr

Old 04-24-2012   #62
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
I just finished my first pack of FP-100C pack film in a Polaroid 360 I picked up. Not sure if it's me or the camera but both Fuji packs I've run through ate the first few frames when the white tab tore off without revealing the film tab. I might be instructionally challenged but I can't see anything I'm doing wrong and the stuff works fine after frame 3 or so. :shrug: In any case, here's my favorite shot—great looking stuff IMO. I'm going to order some more.

Santa Ana Boxing Club by eurekaiv, on Flickr
Hi. A well know issue with 100 Series Land Camera (of which the 360 is one). The camera was made for Polaroid's own pack films. These came in metal cases, not plastic as are the Fuji films. The two pronged spring on the back pushing the pack into place puts two much pressure on the film in the Fuji pack. The pressure lets up once there are fewer film sheets left in the pack.

Remedies range from:
- Weakining the springs through pushing them back (as I do). And be careful when pulling the first tabs. Some even open up the back slightly when pulling the first tabs, I don't risk it (light may get in, obviously)
- Removing the spring, the pack sits nicely regardless of the spring missing (allegedly).
- Removing the spring AND the timer

I chose a 250 because it doesn't have a timer. You don't need one with Fuji films, they have selfexterminating developing agents.

EDIT: Liked the pictures though

My Flickr

Old 04-25-2012   #63
dallard

Quote:
Hi. A well know issue with 100 Series Land Camera (of which the 360 is one). The camera was made for Polaroid's own pack films. These came in metal cases, not plastic as are the Fuji films. The two pronged spring on the back pushing the pack into place puts two much pressure on the film in the Fuji pack. The pressure lets up once there are fewer film sheets left in the pack.

Remedies range from:
- Weakining the springs through pushing them back (as I do). And be careful when pulling the first tabs. Some even open up the back slightly when pulling the first tabs, I don't risk it (light may get in, obviously)
- Removing the spring, the pack sits nicely regardless of the spring missing (allegedly).
- Removing the spring AND the timer

I chose a 250 because it doesn't have a timer. You don't need one with Fuji films, they have selfexterminating developing agents.

EDIT: Liked the pictures though
Another, more difficult option is to change the plastic back for a metal polaroid one in a changing bag. Problem is you have to do this for every fuji pack and it's a pain compared to just weakening the springs.

Old 04-25-2012   #64
eurekaiv

Ahh... thanks so much for the tip guys. I'll have to try those suggestions. As for the model, I didn't really choose a 360, more like the 360 chose me. I found it at the swap meet, and was able to walk away with it for $10. My kind of camera. And it looks nearly new!

Old 04-25-2012   #65
dallard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurekaiv View Post
Ahh... thanks so much for the tip guys. I'll have to try those suggestions. As for the model, I didn't really choose a 360, more like the 360 chose me. I found it at the swap meet, and was able to walk away with it for $10. My kind of camera. And it looks nearly new!
That's a steal! I've got to go to more swap meets.

Old 04-25-2012   #66
paulfish4570

some lovely photos in this thread ...

Old 04-26-2012   #67
eurekaiv

Quote:
That's a steal! I've got to go to more swap meets.
Yeah, well it ate another pack of film, this time ruining the whole lot, so its ultimately cost me more then $10 if you care to look at it that way. I removed the spring in its entirety prior to installing the film this time, but the timer unit is clearly putting too much pressure of the flimsy plastic cartridge the Fuji stuff comes in. Looks like I'll have to do some additional surgery.

Old 04-26-2012   #68
pdexposures

Call me crazy, I have never had an issue with the springs. Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with how you're removing the film? Of the countless packs of film I have shot, the darkslide ripped on me exactly once. This is over cameras with and without the timer.

Leica M6- 35mm Cron V3 / 50mm Cron V3 / 90mm Elmar-C
Hasselblad 500cm - 80mm Planar
Nikon FM3a - 50mm 1.4 Nikkor

www.pdexposures.com <- Film camera reviews, podcast, flim news and general tom foolery

Old 04-26-2012   #69
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Like My Work on Facebook

Old 04-27-2012   #70
eurekaiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdexposures View Post
Call me crazy, I have never had an issue with the springs. Are you sure it doesn't have anything to do with how you're removing the film? Of the countless packs of film I have shot, the darkslide ripped on me exactly once. This is over cameras with and without the timer.
I'm not sure. But I don't know any other way to do it. The only other pack film camera I've used prior to this was a Colorpack III. They load similarly but not exactly the same I guess, so I checked my 360's instruction manual before installing the first pack. When I pull the white tab to reveal the film tab, the white is just ripping off, either with very gentle tugging or a stronger yank. Sometimes it has revealed enough of the film tab (is this the darkslide?) that I could get my finger to it to pull it through but I've had mixed results. The last pack tore a white tab and then I somehow ended up pulling two frames through and leaving behind a chemical pack that tore open at the rollers making a huge mess. Prior to that I had been able to wrestle out the first few frames and then it seemed like the last 6 or 7 worked more normally with the last few coming through with ease and spreading the chemicals perfectly even.

Old 04-27-2012   #71
Robert Lai

My 180 and 250 had similar misbehaviour with the Fuji film packs until I got rid of the springs inside the camera back.

Carefully checking close focus tests show that there is no effect on the film pack seating properly at the film plane without the springs. The paper tabs are a lot easier to pull out now, and they don't tear anymore.

Old 04-28-2012   #72
Penzes

I used my Hasselblad with the Polaroid back a few times. I was quite pleased with results, but the frame size was disappointing.

So I snapped a Landcamera 350 with some accessory. I modified the battery compartment to take CR123 and cleaned the camera a bit. Got Fuji FP-100C yesterday, so I hit the road to test it. The first pictures came out quite nice.

MG [Polaroid Test-Shot] by Istvan Penzes, on Flickr

Jeep Cherokee Grand Wagoneer [Polaroid] by Istvan Penzes, on Flickr

Polaroid Landcamera 350
Fuji FP-100C
Canon Canoscan 8800F

my flickr

Old 04-29-2012   #73
ped
Small brown dog

I'm trying the new Impossible Project PX70 COOL film. It's great, the pictures look like paintings:

Old 04-29-2012   #74
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penzes View Post
I used my Hasselblad with the Polaroid back a few times. I was quite pleased with results, but the frame size was disappointing.

So I snapped a Landcamera 350 with some accessory. I modified the battery compartment to take CR123 and cleaned the camera a bit. Got Fuji FP-100C yesterday, so I hit the road to test it. The first pictures came out quite nice.

MG [Polaroid Test-Shot] by Istvan Penzes, on Flickr
I

Jeep Cherokee Grand Wagoneer [Polaroid] by Istvan Penzes, on Flickr

Polaroid Landcamera 350
Fuji FP-100C
Canon Canoscan 8800F
Lovely colours.

My Flickr

Old 04-29-2012   #75
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Quote:
A good find. The SX-70 is a class example of brilliant industrial design. An icon.

A few recent polaroids from my not so classic Land 250

The Bath house #5 by Eirik0304, on Flickr
Hit a front page with the bath house, admittedly a net page, but none the less a bit chuffed. http://www.thiaps.com/

My Flickr