Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica M Film Cameras

Old 03-11-2009   #26
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
Time to reset the GAS-free timer in your signature then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando View Post
That's it!!! I now need a 21f3.4 SA. I can only take so much GAS!

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 03-11-2009   #27
MikeL
Go Fish

Gang, take it down a notch. Too many eyes see this board. Now Nando, Kevin, me, and others who are saving up will need to save more if this keeps up.

Instead, let's discuss how the crappy fall off and unsharp corners just aren't up to modern standards. It's a poor performer. Build quality is crap. You can't use AE or the infernal(sic) meters on the M6, M7 and M8. Using an external finder is just a terrible experience. Most of them get haze and flare like someone's hair in a Pepsi commercial.

Also, I read on the internet it doesn't work on many Leica or Zeiss or Bessa bodies, and it's a crapshoot if it will work on yours. I had one but I traded it for a cellphone camera.

Old 03-11-2009   #28
Papercut

Location: Westchester county, NY (and Chongqing whenever I can get there)
haha ... the old RFF-bump to prices :-X

=========
Only connect.
=========

flickr photostream

Old 03-11-2009   #29
thomasw_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
Gang, take it down a notch. Too many eyes see this board. Now Nando, Kevin, me, and others who are saving up will need to save more if this keeps up.

Instead, let's discuss how the crappy fall off and unsharp corners just aren't up to modern standards. It's a poor performer. Build quality is crap. You can't use AE or the infernal(sic) meters on the M6, M7 and M8. Using an external finder is just a terrible experience. Most of them get haze and flare like someone's hair in a Pepsi commercial.

Also, I read on the internet it doesn't work on many Leica or Zeiss or Bessa bodies, and it's a crapshoot if it will work on yours. I had one but I traded it for a cellphone camera.
Hehe One of the funniest posts of 2009 so far! The irony is that your post will have the opposite effect on the SA lust Thanks for the chuckle, Mike. BTW, I am loving my sample so far, thanks Chris. Hey Gabor, do you use your E48 filter with the authentic SA hood? Regards, Thomas

Old 03-11-2009   #30
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

There is a very simple solution to all this. Do what I do - never sell or get rid of a lens! OK, the cabinets are bulging a bit - but I sleep well, not regretting any of these "disposals".

filter size for 21mm SA
Old 03-11-2009   #31
rickp

filter size for 21mm SA

hi all
don't forget the possibility/option of using a series 7 filter in the SA lens hood. mine is from b & w - the uv/ir model.
greetings from hamburg
rick

Old 03-11-2009   #32
Nando

Papercut, thanks for the reminder. I actually should have updated it about a week ago.

Sorry about bursting my bubble.

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Old 03-11-2009   #33
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

The Super Angulon shows a lot of fall off, the aperture ring is tight against the hood and you cant use it on M8/M6 etc. However, with Kodachrome 25 it still rocks!
1984, close to the town of Beersheba in Israel. First the sign - then the development!

Last edited by Tom A : 03-11-2009 at 10:07.

Old 03-11-2009   #34
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Occasionally you can get close ups of Mr B. The sun was shining on the table and he plunked himself down on it, challenging me to chase him off! I just put the 21 S-A on closest focus, stopped it down and put it on the table. He was considering checking the scratch resistance of the front element.

Last edited by Tom A : 03-11-2009 at 10:10.

Old 03-11-2009   #35
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Medical students having a demonstration in Brussels. Shades of the 60's but much more peaceful. Complete with the requisite skeleton in a wheelchair (or very skinny student). Once they had demonstrated sufficiently, they all went for a beer!

Last edited by Tom A : 03-11-2009 at 10:19.

Old 03-11-2009   #36
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasw_ View Post
Hehe One of the funniest posts of 2009 so far! The irony is that your post will have the opposite effect on the SA lust Thanks for the chuckle, Mike. BTW, I am loving my sample so far, thanks Chris. Hey Gabor, do you use your E48 filter with the authentic SA hood? Regards, Thomas
Thomas, I have filters (UVa) and hoods on all of my lenses all the time. So the SA has its E48 also mounted all the time.

Tom, small correction: You can actually use the SA with the M6, only internal meter doesn't work. The SA also mounts perfect on the Hexar RF (I have tested this)

I think the missing meter option with the SA is not a big problem in practical use, though. Super-wides tend to pick up to much light from the sky when using TTL metering, so an external meter does a better job in this case. (At least from my experience ...)

Cheers,

Gabor

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 03-11-2009   #37
maddoc
... likes film.

That's a very nice portrait of Mr B !! So ... did he actually check the scratch resistance of the lens ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
Occasionally you can get close ups of Mr B. The sun was shining on the table and he plunked himself down on it, challenging me to chase him off! I just put the 21 S-A on closest focus, stopped it down and put it on the table. He was considering checking the scratch resistance of the front element.

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 03-11-2009   #38
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I have used and occasionally use the S-A on the M6/MP - but the flickering diodes aggravates me. Never tried it on my Hexar's though. I like it on my M2's and, as you say, it is better to hand held meter with them as they do pick up a lot of sky. As luck has it, one of my M6's is slowly "morphing" into a M4P anyway. Meter is hiccuping and it has a very strong opinions about exposures - usually not agreeing with me. I have other's so no big deal - but at some time I will ship it off for cleaning contacts or replacing the meter board.

Old 03-11-2009   #39
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
As luck has it, one of my M6's is slowly "morphing" into a M4P anyway. Meter is hiccuping and it has a very strong opinions about exposures - usually not agreeing with me. I have other's so no big deal - but at some time I will ship it off for cleaning contacts or replacing the meter board.
... just increase the "morphing" speed and remove the batteries !

Today, I took my M4-P with me after two weeks exclusively using the M6 and found the frame - lines of the M4-P much better than the M6 ones ... Oh well, there simply is no "perfect" M ...

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 03-11-2009   #40
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Gabor, there is a perfect M - its the M2!

Old 03-11-2009   #41
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Gabor, there is a perfect M - its the M2!

flickr
pBase
blog

Old 03-11-2009   #42
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
That's a very nice portrait of Mr B !! So ... did he actually check the scratch resistance of the lens ?
I think he wants to catch one of my M's with the back open. Those cloth curtains look so tempting to him!

Old 03-13-2009   #43
deepwhite

After shooting with the SA21/3.4 on the R-D1s for a some time, finally I got myself a used Minolta CLE as the exclusive body for this lens.

I got it cheap because the metering is not functioning correctly. Not a problem for the SA21/3.4: no metering on any camera anyway.... ;-)

I bought the Cosina Voigtlander 21mm VF and the VC Meter II. Then it took me some time to find the now-discontinued CV double hot-shoe. Now it looks like I'm putting a Transformer's head on the CLE. XD

The CLE should be here tomorrow. Can't wait for the first rolls of film, B/W, Color Neg, Slide....

Old 03-17-2009   #44
deepwhite

Ok the CLE is finally here.

After two nights of over-working, I sent myself to the doctor (not maddoc, but a sane one ;-)) tonight, and shot a roll of neopan 1600 on the way home.

A few shots of this new setup, taken in the office with my Nokia N95 cellphone:

Last edited by deepwhite : 03-17-2009 at 11:15.

Old 03-17-2009   #45
kemal_mumcu

I've had my eyes on this lens too and I was wondering about how the lens' barrel color affects prices on the 3.4 version? For me black is better but if they command a higher premium I can make do with chrome too.

Old 03-17-2009   #46
b.espahbod
Optophile

i recommend black (i have chrome 205xxxx & black 252xxxx) the picture quality of the black version (maybe because of coating) is far better than chrome but chromes are great for black and white.

Old 03-17-2009   #47
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

At the 2.500 000 the coating changed on the S.A. Not too much. but just a slight "upping" of contrast. This does not mean that the earlier ones were bad by any means. Either version is great.

Old 03-17-2009   #48
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Oh lord, Tom goes and posts a K25/SA shot. Have you no pity? Didn't I tell you I regret selling mine? Pfffft.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 03-17-2009   #49
fbf

i can't say I don't regret selling mine... Tom warned me but I had no choice.
I will try to hold on to all the lenses I buy from now on

Old 03-17-2009   #50
Nando

This thread is torture.

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr