Old 04-11-2016   #1201
giulio stucchi
Registered User
 
giulio stucchi's Avatar
 
giulio stucchi is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bruxelles
Age: 38
Posts: 465
I lost count on how many time I've almost clicked on the buy it now for a 21SA...one day the right one will shows up for me, I know...I am not in a hurry :-)
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2016   #1202
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio stucchi View Post
I lost count on how many time I've almost clicked on the buy it now for a 21SA...one day the right one will shows up for me, I know...I am not in a hurry :-)
It is one of those lenses that just keeps nagging at you. The 35 pre asph lux is another one, every time you post another photo it nags at me again. One day...
When you get your SA, make sure you don't sell it!
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2016   #1203
giulio stucchi
Registered User
 
giulio stucchi's Avatar
 
giulio stucchi is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bruxelles
Age: 38
Posts: 465
Good one Michael!
Indeed the lux 35 pre + SA21 seems to make a perfect pair...
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2016   #1204
presspass
filmshooter
 
presspass is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 759
Just add a 75 Summilux and a 135 2.8 Tele-Elmarit and you have the near-perfect four lens set. That's what's in my bag today and most days.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2016   #1205
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio stucchi View Post
Good one Michael!
Indeed the lux 35 pre + SA21 seems to make a perfect pair...
Indeed. A pair of classics.

They just need a pair of original black paint M2's to go with them. (this is where Tom A shows the exact setup )

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
Just add a 75 Summilux and a 135 2.8 Tele-Elmarit and you have the near-perfect four lens set. That's what's in my bag today and most days.
But if you don't like 75 (and that 75 lux is BIG) and would prefer a 90, which one?

I never thought I'd go down this road of matching lens signatures, but here I am
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2016   #1206
giganova
Registered User
 
giganova is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 476
How do the 21/3.4 and CV 21/4 Color Skopar (which I have) compare?

Also, should the 4-blade aperture be a concern?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2016   #1207
presspass
filmshooter
 
presspass is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 759
For a 90, either the pre-asph Summicron or the Tele-Elmarit. Both are, I believe, Mandler designs and give a similar signature to the pre-asph Summilux. The only advantage of the 75, and yes, it is a big lens, is it can replace a 50 and a 90. So the decision is two smaller lenses or one bigger one. I go back and forth on that, too.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2016   #1208
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
How do the 21/3.4 and CV 21/4 Color Skopar (which I have) compare?

Also, should the 4-blade aperture be a concern?
Going only from pics from the CV 21/4, the SA is way cooler and far more awesome

I believe if you search back through this tread you'll find Tom A comparing the two.

Edit: A quick search:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=9404
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=63755
__________________
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by michaelwj : 04-15-2016 at 01:47. Reason: added links
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1209
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,274
Leica M2, SA 21/3.4, ACROS 100



__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1210
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,477
All your work with the Super Angulon is super, Vincent. More please.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1211
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,274
Thanks Erik!

Maybe you can consider a 21SA for yourself to show the magnificent grey tones of Holland?

Most of my photos in Flickr are family snaps.

M2, SA 21/3.4, Acros 100, HC-110 'B'



__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1212
nasmformyzombie
Registered User
 
nasmformyzombie is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 47, -122
Posts: 257
What a great thread. What a terrific lens!

At the risk of asking a technical question as opposed to contributing a photo to the thread, here goes. I like the way this lens renders. I don't own an S-A, but would like to get one and use it on an M5. Is there a variation identified by serial number that will work with the meter on an M5? Or does one have to send the S-A to a specialist to have it modified, or am I completely off base?
__________________
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1213
Glenn2
Registered User
 
Glenn2's Avatar
 
Glenn2 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 296
The problem is that the rear element protrudes so far into the body that it hits the photo cell. Later lenses kept it retracted, early lenses not. As far as I know an M5 will not meter with the SA.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1214
nasmformyzombie
Registered User
 
nasmformyzombie is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 47, -122
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn2 View Post
The problem is that the rear element protrudes so far into the body that it hits the photo cell. Later lenses kept it retracted, early lenses not. As far as I know an M5 will not meter with the SA.
According to LeicaWiki the f/3.4 version starting with serial number 2473251 is compatible with the M5. Does 'compatible' mean you can mount the lens without damaging the rear element of the lens (or the meter of the M5), or does it mean the lens will meter on the M5?

This information aside, I'm more interested in what RFF members have to say from their own experience.
__________________
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1215
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 775
It means it can mount without damaging the lens or camera. Since the M5 is directly metering, I see no reason why it wouldn't.
Of course I don't have an M5 :-)
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1216
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,274
I don't own a M5 but from what I know, later production 21SA production had the mount modified to fit the M5 .

They modified the section of flange that swings the meter arm out when mounting. The result is no TTL metering since the meter arm is retracted. Not a big problem if you use a handheld meter, which in my experience, a better way to meter the scene, because the inclusion of the bright sky can usually lead to under exposure from a TTL meter.

The serial number at which the modified flange started is from #2437251 (according to bartender's site: https://www.cameraquest.com/m5.htm)

There were RFF users who bought the modified flange from DAG to use the early version 21SA on their M5.
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1217
nasmformyzombie
Registered User
 
nasmformyzombie is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 47, -122
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
...The serial number at which the modified flange started is from #2437251 (according to bartender's site: https://www.cameraquest.com/m5.htm)
One site likely has a transposition error with the third and fourth digits of the serial numbers:

Leicawiki: 2473251
Cameraquest: 2437251

Regardless, you're saying no metering on the M5 even with a modified flange?
__________________
It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2016   #1218
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasmformyzombie View Post
One site likely has a transposition error with the third and fourth digits of the serial numbers:

Leicawiki: 2473251
Cameraquest: 2437251

Regardless, you're saying no metering on the M5 even with a modified flange?
As far as I know, M5, M6 and M7 cannot meter with the 21SA. The modified flange merely retracts the metering arm to prevent the rear of the 21SA lens from hitting it when it is mounted.
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2016   #1219
michaelwj
----------------
 
michaelwj's Avatar
 
michaelwj is offline
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brisbane AUS
Posts: 775
Time for some more photos

Riding the tunnel.


3.4/21 SA, Fomapan 400 @ 250 in LQN 1+10 for 7 min @ 20degC
__________________
Cheers,
Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1220
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,274
Leica M2, Leitz Super Angulon 21mm f/3.4, Tri-X


Field of Harvest by Days of My Ordinary Life (Vincent), on Flickr
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Days Ago   #1221
LChanyungco
Registered User
 
LChanyungco's Avatar
 
LChanyungco is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 576
I haven't posted any photographs in a little bit so here's one from a couple of weeks ago shot with the good old 21mm SA and M3. thanks for looking !

  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Days Ago   #1222
maddoc
... likes film.
 
maddoc's Avatar
 
maddoc is online now
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 三鷹市
Age: 50
Posts: 7,014
Exactly. I have an older version of this lens and got a modified M-Mount flange to use the SA with my M5 when I had one. The other problem with the M5 is that the hot shoe is not centered over lens axis so I got a special custom made hot shoe adapter from Don that positions the external VF over the lens axis.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
As far as I know, M5, M6 and M7 cannot meter with the 21SA. The modified flange merely retracts the metering arm to prevent the rear of the 21SA lens from hitting it when it is mounted.
__________________
- Gabor

flickr
pBase
blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Days Ago   #1223
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び
 
Vincent.G's Avatar
 
Vincent.G is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 38
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Exactly. I have an older version of this lens and got a modified M-Mount flange to use the SA with my M5 when I had one. The other problem with the M5 is that the hot shoe is not centered over lens axis so I got a special custom made hot shoe adapter from Don that positions the external VF over the lens axis.
This is timely and useful information especially to those who are following the M5 thread and are also interested in the 21SA.

Gabor, it's been some time since you shared photos taken with the 21SA. Really hope to see your work soon!

Lem: nice wide perspective! So many interesting elements in one frame!
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 2 Days Ago   #1224
LChanyungco
Registered User
 
LChanyungco's Avatar
 
LChanyungco is offline
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 576
hey Vince, thanks for the super kind compliment !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
Lem: nice wide perspective! So many interesting elements in one frame!
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #1225
maddoc
... likes film.
 
maddoc's Avatar
 
maddoc is online now
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 三鷹市
Age: 50
Posts: 7,014
Thank you Vincent !

Actually, I would be happy being able to share photos taken with any of the lenses that I own... just a question of time spent on the job and on photography ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
This is timely and useful information especially to those who are following the M5 thread and are also interested in the 21SA.

Gabor, it's been some time since you shared photos taken with the 21SA. Really hope to see your work soon!

Lem: nice wide perspective! So many interesting elements in one frame!
__________________
- Gabor

flickr
pBase
blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 1 Day Ago   #1226
joseph_galilee
Registered User
 
joseph_galilee's Avatar
 
joseph_galilee is offline
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHutchins View Post
I really love this lens. One of the wisest unwise decisions I've made.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Very nice pictures. The SA is a timeless high quality lens.
Thanks lot.
לראות אותך בקרוב
__________________
אנחנו לא צריכים עוד להיות יהודי עלוב, כחוש עניים של ימי הביניים, היהודים, אבל חזק אנרגטי ויפה, למאלפי כל ולחולשת עצבים
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:29.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.