Canonet G-III 17 as a first time RF?

Thanks for the great replies. I think I'll just keep checking out the Classifieds for a clean Canonet for a while until I find one that looks like it will fit the bill.

I have the black canonet QL17 GIII, the yashica 35 CC (nice 35mm lens with Aperture priority camera), and the Olympus 35 SP,RD,and RC, among others.
Sold the Minolta 7SII because to me it add nothing to my other cameras (even if a lot a persons like it a lot).
I would get the 35 SP, its a little bigger but it feels good in the hand (and I have small hands), and it has spot mettering... and meter in fully manual mode, and a nice lens...

You can't go wrong with the GIII. I purchased one as my first rangefinder and I sold it just over a year ago. Though I've been using a Zeiss Ikon for a few years now, I still consider buying another GIII. It really is a stellar camera!

My first rangefinder was a black QL 17 and I paid close to 200 for it...excellent camera which can be used fully mechanically...you don't need no stinking meter!

Several years back I got into rangefinder cameras (2003?). I didn't like the looks of the Canonet QL17 G-III so I bought a slew of other fixed lens rangefinder cameras looking for one that really worked well for me ergonomically, technically, feature wise, etc. After a few years, and many camera purchases, I found a Canonet QL17 G-III at a thrift store for $20 and bought it for the heck of it. I cleaned out the old seals and replaced them (with Jon Goodman's seal kit), removed the top plate and cleaned the rangefinder / viewfinder (surprisingly easy) , and cleaned up the front and rear elements as well as the exterior. I rolled up some Kodak BW400CN and went out shooting. Wow! I fell in love with it right away and kicked myself for waiting so long to try one out.

Of course, now I think it looks great :D. I subsequently managed to pick up the nicely coupled flash (Canonlite D), an original Canonet 4 hood, and a a couple filters (Yellow Y2, Polarizer) for good prices. Its a fine little kit that I carry often. For me the only drawbacks are as follows:

1. Camera takes obsolete mercury batteries. That said there are various solutions to this problem (zinc oxide batteries, etc.).

2. Camera is does not have an aperture priority mode (a feature I like).

3. Mines not black :D.

I would say that this would be an excellent choice for a first rangefinder IMO despite the drawbacks listed above.

Nevertheless, you might consider the following:

1. Pick up a Canon Canonet QL17 instead (the version right before the G-III version - but not the much older 45mm version). These usually go for less money and supposedly a little more robustly built with less internal plastic parts.

2. Check out the Yashica Lynx 1000, 5000, or 5000e. These are also great starter rangefinder cameras for a variety of reasons and can be bought very inexpensively. In addition, the Yashica Electro 35 CC is a very fine camera and would be a good choice (but no full manual mode).

3. Have whatever camera you get overhauled by your local camera repair shop or similar (I've had good experience having my Yashica's overhauled by Mark Hama).

4. A can't emphasize the importance of a clean and contrasty rangefinder / viewfinder. I've had 2 or 3 copies of the same camera (e.g. the Yashica Lynx 14 / 14e) that have varied widely in terms of rangefinder / viewfinder contrast even though they have been professionally overhauled. Of course, a fixed lens rangefinder is unlikely to have a rangefinder / viewfinder as nice as a Leica, Voigtlander, etc.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

A usable Canonet will run close to $200. A usable Yashica GSN under $100. Finding a hood for either is not easy. Both will provide you with the experience that you are looking for but eventually, if you continue, you will ultimately look at a Leica.

I found a nice lens hood for my Yashica GSN here for $7.60 shipped. Partially visible in the lower rt corner of the finder window, but not an issue for composition or use.

A usable Canonet will run close to $200. A usable Yashica GSN under $100. Finding a hood for either is not easy. Both will provide you with the experience that you are looking for but eventually, if you continue, you will ultimately look at a Leica.

Those prices are a bit steep. I often service and sell these cameras, and I usually get about $100 for a ready to use silver QL17. I usually charge about $200 for a black version. I sell serviced GSN cameras for $100 to $150, depending on the condition and accessories included.

Personally, I think the Yashicas are better picture takers. The GSN cameras are a bit large and clunky, but the Yashica GX is smaller and better handling. The Yashicas tend to have better meters than the Canon QL17, and do not have the sticker shutter/aperture blade problems common with Canonets.

The best of the fixed-lens rangefinder cameras is probably the Olympus SP.

Finally... all these posts and now the best comes up.

Finally... all these posts and now the best comes up.

Those prices are a bit steep. I often service and sell these cameras, and I usually get about $100 for a ready to use silver QL17. I usually charge about $200 for a black version. I sell serviced GSN cameras for $100 to $150, depending on the condition and accessories included.

Personally, I think the Yashicas are better picture takers. The GSN cameras are a bit large and clunky, but the Yashica GX is smaller and better handling. The Yashicas tend to have better meters than the Canon QL17, and do not have the sticker shutter/aperture blade problems common with Canonets.

The best of the fixed-lens rangefinder cameras is probably the Olympus SP.

The Olympus 35SP has all of the features mentioned in every example listed in this post, plus
a great lens, good rangefinder, great exposure system. It also has one of the first functional Spot Metering systems in early rangefinders. Can be found for the same price as Canonet's that are overpriced. No GIII is worth more than $100 in my opinion, unless it is black OR recently rebuilt... not CLA,,,, rebuilt. Then it can run to $300 to $400... same as a black oLY 35sp.

Yashica GX is smaller and better handling. The Yashicas tend to have better meters than the Canon QL17, and do not have the sticker shutter/aperture blade problems common with Canonets.

What is the current price range for the GX?

The QL17 (non-GIII) was my first non-medium-format rangefinder as well. Great gateway drug. If you take some of the steps suggested above to get a working one (or luck out on eBay), you can certainly get in for under USD 100. If you need it just to try out the rangefinder way of shooting generally, obviously do not pay the silly premiums for a black or new-in-box or otherwise special QL17. And you do not need the GIII variant for anything.

A great thing too about a QL17 is even after you've moved on to fancier things, it's a good knockabout camera. If I'm going into a questionable situation where there's considerable risk the camera I'm carrying could be stolen, smashed, or confiscated--but I still want to carry a competent, non-plastic/crap camera--I often bring the QL17. I certainly would not willfully destroy it, but it's good to know if it's lost, I'm out not much money and no sentimental value. There's millions of replacements out there for cheap. (To be fair, this is true of many other of the affordable FLRFs mentioned here.)

--Dave

p.s. +1 about the QL's superb film loading. This should not be underrated. It rocks compared to arse-loading Barnacks; cameras that require full de-pantsing, so a third hand to hold the back while loading; or ones with a single black slot in a black take-up spool so that finding where to insert the leader is quite a feat on a dark night.

@ryan_d:

The nice, old QL/GIII you're looking for is surely out there somewhere. And your darkroom gear, too. But good, used darkroom gear at a bargain basement price will be easier to find than a good, cheap and clean QL/GIII.

So if your budget allows, consider insisting on that screaming deal on the darkroom stuff, meanwhile putting $200 into a used Bessa R. That's the least expensive modern RF camera. Modern meter, modern batteries and a FABULOUS viewfinder that will make the QL/GIII look quaint. Add a sub-$100 used Russian lens from a reputable dealer and you're good to go.

Caveat: I have personal experience with the Bessa, but not the Russian lenses. Plenty of Russian lens expertise here on RFF, tho!

In any case, have fun experimenting!

Canonet....RF without DOF scale? No, thanks, at least not as a camera to buy for money, let alone prices like $200 which is close to what real rangefinder like Konica III cost.

At last clunky GSN has DOF scale. GX has it, too. Generally, good RF cameras must have DOF scale.

QL17 GIII's are really nice little cameras if you can find one that's not stuffed. Their viewfinders tend to be average after all this time, but you can enhance the RF patch with some black tape right in the middle of the window, which makes the patch more contrasty. Great lens. There's some incredible work on flickr done with the GIII if you search under most interesting photos.

I dunno where you guys are getting the $200 price tag for Canonets.. most that i'm looking at are under (some significantly) or around the $100 range.

Back