Tell me we don't need this!

I think it was coined by some guitar magazine years ago. It was originally "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome" - But later changed to "Gear Acquisition Syndrome".

Though this is pure speculation.

That was the first place I saw it, also.

Never knew I needed a name for it but yeah, Can't resist fondling cameras. Good cheap therapy for a range of mental illness. Plus, we can't have pets in our building and I miss my cat.

It usually ends 20 min into a movie when my wife shouts "enough!"
She doesn't understand the natural need to hold a leica and exercise all speeds while looking at a good movie...
(and don't even get me started on the hard choice of which camera I am going to fondle depending on the type of movie...)

OCF Obsessive Camera Fondling. "I suffer from OCF" will give you instant sympathy from people who don't know what it is

interesting

interesting

I guess this explains why the shutters of all those nice Canon P's are all FUCS'd up :D

OK people, listen up. I'm not sure if it originated here, but the acronymn "GAS" has served us well here at RFF. We can use it to explain all our midnight love trysts in the classifieds, all the broken hearts after the one-night stands, and all of that lovely black-painted brass hidden just out of the wife's view.

But I believe we have another ugly hidden secret amongst us. You know what I mean... taking that beautiful F or M or R or P body down off the shelf; the body that hasn't seen film in weeks, months,... or EVER! And cranking those smooth as silk brass gears a few times, listening to that oh-so-lovely shutter, peering through that better-than-reality viewfinder, imagining all the gorgeous images its going to create... some day.

So I'm thinking we need a new acronym, something to give, well.. acceptance of this behavior. I think FUCS might do. Fondling Unused Cameras Syndrome. Any other ideas?

It usually ends 20 min into a movie when my wife shouts "enough!"
She doesn't understand the natural need to hold a leica and exercise all speeds while looking at a good movie...
(and don't even get me started on the hard choice of which camera I am going to fondle depending on the type of movie...)

Hi,

I don't know how to break this to you but when you watch a film you are not supposed to fondle a camera, especially if there's a young lady beside you.

Regards, David

On a serious note I once asked a friend who is a psychologist about this and she told me in her world the action is known as 'flowing' and would apply to camera fondling! :eek:

Flow seems like a good thing.

It is indeed.

She was actually giving me advice at the time and when I described to her that sitting down with a camera and fondling it, running through the shutter speeds etc made me feel calm and less anxious, she said ... "Go with it!" :D

Ok Jamie ... I think we all agree that Fondle And Return To Shelf (FARTS) is pure genius and should be adopted.

You started this thread so it's your decision ... yes or no? :D

GAS leads to FARTS and not sure where FLOW fits!

Just so long as I can put it all down to 'getting help'

Back