Anyone else being put off by all these non-RF threads?

I don't care for digital camers, but I don't get annoyed by threads about digital equipment. I just move on to RF threads here.

I'd agree with just about everything posted above, include the OP's original assertion. I like RFF as it is, but I still wish that there was one site, somewhere, dedicated exclusively to rangefinders and rangefinder photography, as I remain convinced that photographery with rangefinder cameras, despite or because of their limitations, is different from general photography with other styles of cameras.

I dip in to the Fuji X-whatever threads to see what all the fuss is about. The threads that interest me most these days are the ones on film developing, and the W/NW threads.

I've got film SLRs and an m4/3ds digicam, in addition to RFs, and I don't mind being able to track discussions on non-RF cameras here.

I think I joined this site in 2007 looking for information on old 120 RF folders. I then learned about 35mm RF cameras, bought a Bessa R2A when that model was relatively new.

Except for the 120 Fuji folder, and two digital M cameras, there have not been any new RF cameras in the last few years AFAIK. There has been many new exciting cameras in other "genres" though.

Wait until the new M10 is produced!

With the death of film and the fabulous focusing accuracy of even the cheapest digicams, not to mention their ability to resolve more detail in lower light, it's inevitable that "rangefinders" slip into the mists of time (mostly) just like Deardorff view cameras and Graflex Super Ds. Someone will always figure out how to operate them, but the most avid photographers willl naturally move toward technically superior equipment. Leica will never rival Canonikon or even Pentax for image quality. Talk about versions of Summicrons is evidently fun for a minority, but that minority isn't doing the photography that moves and shakes the former Life Magazine demographic.

The is the best photographic community online, hands down. It's great as it is. There are plenty of threads that I have no interest in.
So I don't read them.
If it starts to be policed to enforce a rangefinder-only discussion, I'll just leave as I believe many others would too.
We'll be forced "underground" to have our non-RF discussions in little pubs over glasses of dark beer.

Phil Forrest

Most people have more than one type of camera. It makes sense to discuss those here rather than at one of those other sites. And by "other sites" you know what I mean.

Am I being picky?

The thing that first attracted me to this forum was the USP of "rangefinderness" - it was folks like me who enjoy the distinctive qualities of rangefinder cameras: the clue is in the name of the forum.

Over the recent years, as new products have been released, there's been an understandable interest in the non-dSLR world and the cameras have indeed been interesting.

However, I am beginning to feel that the USP (unique selling point) of this forum is being diluted with all the discussions about the latest Fujisonyricoh X-p99xx1z99 or whatever and there's less and less about rangefinders. Some of these cameras don't even have a rangefinder as their focussing mechani
There's even enlightened, informed discussion about dSLRs for goodness sake.

I know this is an enthusiastic, intelligent virtual community here, who are genuinely interested in comparing notes about the latest developments in photographic technology but I am finding fewer and fewer threads that I'm interested in reading.

If I'm in the minority then so be it. I don't want to buy an new camera: I want to enjoy the ones I have.

What, this isn't the Rolleiflex Forum? Im outta here...

Todd

" Anyone else being put off by all these non-RF threads?"

" Anyone else being put off by all these non-RF threads?"

No, it does not bother me what you or anyone else wish to write about. Since I read only what I find that interests me, why should I be concerned with or wish to limit the content of, what interests others or what they write about? I feel it's wonderful that we have a place that allows us room for freedom of expression. I am pleased that the powers that be, feel there is enough room to accommodate us all. I do not wish to see any changes made to this accommodation. It appears the only need for change is in our tolerance of our differences....:rolleyes:

There should be variety so we can learn and exchange ideas on a wider base; otherwise it would be like wearing horse-goggles..

I am glad RFF looks like Times Square..:D

I'm not too fussed about the new digital cameras so long they have some similarity to rangefinders, and people actually try to take good photos with them. I have seen too many photos of expensive cameras, taken with expensive cameras.

"With the death of film and the fabulous focusing accuracy of even the cheapest digicams...."

Film died? Digital is better? Darn, why didn't anyone tell me? How come I'm always the last one to know these things?

See, you CAN learn new stuff here :)

Yikes! "...death of film"? I wouldn't go that far! In fact my understanding is that film sales are actually up over the past couple of years. Anyway, I figured I would get my two cents in here also.

I personally see nothing at all wrong with having some non-rangefinder content on this forum. We can all choose what we read, or wish to avoid reading. Many (if not most) of us own more that just rangefinders. I have a fairly extensive collection of box cameras, folders, SLR's, TLR's, and yes, several DSLR's, (heaven forbid!) and enjoy them all immensely. I see nothing wrong with being able to read about all types of cameras on this fine forum.

I hope things stay just the way they are. I find that there are far fewer "bad apples" on RFF that on any other photographic forum I have come across. I am a relative newcomer here, yet have made many friends already. We all share a passion for photography and rangefinder cameras; this does not mean that we can't also enjoy reading about other types of cameras as well, in my opinion.

Glen

Probably happens to most forums. I'm a fly fishing forum also. The guys who have been on it for years mostly post in the Off Topic section. After awhile you just don't have much to say on fly patterns...

Exactly.

I spent the last ~5 years or so living in an unrelated (AV) forum. It was 95% brand specific and after a while... you get the idea.

I have basically migrated over here to RFF now and I enjoy the diversity. I guess that I would classify myself as a tinkering gear guy. I enjoy the mechanics, optics, and processes as much as the end result.

I have now bought, tried, and loved gear that I would likely not have tried otherwise.

Thank you RFF.

I love Rangefinder Forum. Where else can you see what downtown Ulan Batar looks like at 8 o'clock in the morning?

Back