Canon 5D MK II vs Leica M9

swoop

Well-known
Local time
12:51 PM
So through a series of circumstances (mostly unfortunate) I happen to be the owner of both a Canon 5D MK II and a Leica M9. What do I do with these coveted top notch cameras? Pixel peep of course.

So I set both cameras up with a 50mm f1.4, focal point and frame center is Emma's nose.

Exposure is 1/45 f1.4 ISO1600 with White Balance set manually at 5000k in my dimly lit apartment with daylight balanced florescent lighting. The images were shot as were in their native RAW formats and converted in Lightroom 2 to 800px wide 72dpi JPG in sRGB. Without further ado, pics.

Unedited Canon 5D MK II
test5dun.jpg

Unedited Leica M9
testm9un.jpg

Can anyone explain why, with both cameras with the exact same settings, does the M9 have a horrible out of camera image?

Edited Canon 5D MK II
test5ded.jpg

Edited Leica M9
testm9ed.jpg

After some fuss (about 45 seconds worth). The M9 image is usable. I did some minor recovery and white balance adjustment with the 5D image. It really doesn't need much.

I love my M9. For more reasons than the final image output. But investing a whole minute per picture on a tight deadline is going to drive me nuts some day.

So I geuss use the Canon camera for deadline work where where white balance is crucial, and enjoy the leica during times when its not.

Although you've set the color temperature to 5000k manually, looks like 5D MKII is doing better job on correcting tint of artificial lighting compared to M9.

Does the M9 adjust WB when shot in DNG? My M8 will not so if the interface is anything like the M8 then that is why you got a green photo. If it's set to DNG+JPG then the setting can be made but the DNG is still raw data and won't be adjusted in-camera.
I'm surprised that the Canon returned a near-perfectly corrected image set at 5000K when fluorescent is considerably cooler.

Phil Forrest

Regardless of color temperature (which is pretty easily corrected), I think the M9 gave you a more usable image, considering it didn't blow out those highlights like the 5D did.

i think LR won't read the M9 params when loading a raw file ; thus the horrible color cast.

Anyway, it's obvious that canikons digital file are better than M8/M9, and easier to process... But taking a picture with a M8/9 is so much better than with that bulky DSLR !

Regardless of color temperature (which is pretty easily corrected), I think the M9 gave you a more usable image, considering it didn't blow out those highlights like the 5D did.

What? When the wall is white the wall on the photo should be white. Of course I don't know how the real scene looked but the 5D photo looks more natural to me because I expect the wall to look like that under that lighting conditions.

How did you manage to get such precise framing using two different cameras one after the other?

When you shoot raw with the same settings to compare the quality of cameras you also have to consider that your test now includes the quality of the development module and presets of the raw-converter for that specific camera.

I have an idea - convert everything to B&W, so that the white balance won't matter and Leica will win because of a better lens. Then sell the Canon. Next, check the B&W Leica shot for tonality and blown highlights. Then sell the M9, and buy an M7 plus a scanner. Then you will be happy again.

I have an idea - convert everything to B&W, so that the white balance won't matter and Leica will win because of a better lens. Then sell the Canon. Next, check the B&W Leica shot for tonality and blown highlights. Then sell the M9, and buy an M7 plus a scanner. Then you will be happy again.

exactly..[The message you have entered is too short.]

LOL mfogiel. Yes. Leica M6-M7 or MP and B&W film. And a darkroom. Yum.

Never mind the white balance, the noise in the Leica M9 image is ugly as sin. As in 'omg thats way worse than I had expected by a huge margin - ugly.' I think the M11 will be the one to own. Thankfully I am not that old and will still be around when it eventually happens. The only trouble is the retail price will surely be about $11K to match.

But if the M9 dies, you are out of luck. With the same money you could have bought three 5DII's and would still be shooting! :)

Nikon and Canon have a few years on Leica in the digital wars.

New firmware just announced:

Improved compatibility of SDHC cards. Nevertheless, we recommend our customers cards such as the “Extreme III” from the leading brand “SanDisk”.
Improved Auto White Balance in conditions with power saving lamps and tungsten light.
Saving user profiles has been improved (changing from one profile to another did sometimes cause problems)
Time display in “American” format corrected.
Auto power off bug fixed (camera did turn off automatically while using the Play Mode or scrolling through the menu).

You need to create a profile for your M9 conversions, the current preset is not correct.Noise reduction/sharpening is set wrong too, there should be less noise visible in this light and in LR3, even on ISO 1600 I prefer C1, 5.1 pro for M9 files - much better color control.
It is amazing the framing didn't change, nor did the arm holding the mobile move?

Last edited:
You need to create a profile for your M9 conversions, the current preset is not correct.Noise reduction/sharpening is set wrong too, there should be less noise visible in this light and in LR3, even on ISO 1600 I prefer C1, 5.1 pro for M9 files - much better color control.
It is amazing the framing didn't change, nor did the arm holding the mobile move?

Actually, the framing between the first and the second picture did change. You see more of the head (of the person sitting on the sofa) in the second picture than in the first. Looks like the OP did a pretty good job framing, though, and the difference is probably due to parallax.

Also, there's nothing weird about the hand not moving. It's not a mobile phone it's a remote control. When I'm on a sofa, watching tv and holding the remote in my hand I will probably not move it much.

Let's not start with conspiracy theories here. I think the OP asked an honest question and wasn't expecting the Spanish inquisition. But then again, no one does.

Maybe something went wrong in converting: the EXIF's of the unprocessed images show a temp of 4700, tint '+2' for the 5d image, and a temp of 4450, tint '+10' for the M9-image.
Also, I think 'daylight balanced fluorescent' is mostly a marketing specification.

Greetings,

Dirk

I recently bought a Canon 5D Mark II. The images from it just amaze me - particularly portraits of people. Yes, it is much bigger than my M8 but if I really want the shot, the easiest way to get it is with the Canon.
My M8 is now used primarily for wide shots with the CV 15 mm.
The M9 still intrigues me but I don't see buying one anytime soon.

Back