Canon LTM Well, I certainly lost money on that deal

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
Well, I hope the buyer introduces herself and posts photos taken w/ her new Canon P. Maybe she'll need to buy a few nice LTM lenses from Classifieds! :)

(I'm a glass-half-full-kinda guy). :rolleyes::)

Well, as it turns out, the buyer is in fact a new RFF member and is genuinely having trouble with paypal--I think she & I will work it out.

If that's what the item is worth on eBay, then that's what it's worth, period. I am a bit disappointed at the low price, but I have gotten my share of bargains and can't say it's exactly tragic to pass on a great camera to a working photographer, which it appears the buyer is.

So, your loss ends up as RFF's gain?

$168 is a bit light, I paid over $200 for my P two years ago here on RFF.

I'm happy you sold your P, but a little sad the prices are going South on them. I paid double that for my P and L1.

Nope. Sunday's been my "Buy" day for years.

Nope. Sunday's been my "Buy" day for years.

Might have had better luck by ending the auction on a Sunday instead of a Saturday. Or a mid-week day. Also I find I do better when the auction ends around 9 to 11 pm eastern time. Mid afternoon is a bad time to end auctions.

I buy on Sundays... sell mid week early evenings....

ALL of my best buys have been on Sundays, getting lowest prices for over 7 years now. The way to make eBay work is to do the research.

I look for:
Sunday closes
high start prices instead of reserve (most glaring mistake)
poor pictures
poor descriptions
poor spelling
bad grammar

not to mention a few other weak auction listing features.

Last edited:
Canon P is a fine machine.
I'll second that motion. Mine cost me over $200 over a year back, then another $100+ for a Mark Hama CLA. I'd lose money if I ever sold it, rather like ... ehem... never-mind. No use pouring salt on new wounds. I been there.

I'm friends with a guy who has an extremely large camera collection. He was commenting last week that "I should have been selling these (Canons and Leicas) a few years ago when they peaked.

I'm seeing a similar bubble in LF antique lenses. They have been booming, but now are stagnating. I suspect there really aren't that many users, and for a while it was speculators. And the housing market crash showed us what happens when speculators are selling to speculators....

My impression is that Canon bodies (not sure about other manufacturers) have dropped in value drastically and the lenses that are or were attached to that body have gone through the roof. These lenses can be used on digital cameras with or without adaptors. Maybe the finished photo is giving a certain feel to the finished product or is it just the good old glass lenses are cheaper…don’t know.

Sometimes eBay does this to you. A while ago I sold a full ever ready black Luigi deluxe case and strap for an M that cost me a fortune ... it was as new! From memory it went for about $140.00 AUD which was less than a third of what it owed me!

Now must be a good time to buy a P. I just got one for an incredible, imho, price in EX, speeds off, condition from Keh - $154 shipped. I don't know why these don't go for a lot more money, but I'm happy about it now.

Back