in praise of Tamarkin Camera

stupid leica

i don't shoot rf
Local time
6:40 AM
I just wanted to give a (positive) rave about these guys.
About two weeks ago, i finally decided to get a M camera. M2, to be exact.
I looked high and low, couldn't find any in my price range at the time that seemed like a good buy. Then i remembered Tamarkin.

I emailed them about one they had listed on their site- turns out it was sold. They then sent me pics and info about two other M2's they had just gotten in, that were both in that same price range. I asked if they could hold one of them for me until the end of the week, so i could make sure i was able to get some stuff sold to pay for it (Nikon FM3A). They said "no problem", and put is on the shelf for me.

Once i got the funds, we discussed shipping and payment. They don't normally do paypal, but they were accomodating and allowed me to pay with this method. They also were not familiar with shipping APO AP (USPS Prior), but did that for me to.

The camera arrived yesterday, and let me say it is in outstanding shape. Original vulcanite, intact seal (not sure if it's the original seal), clear finder, wonderful patch, everything is just fantastic on it. This is a "EX-" silver M2, lever rewind, self timer, and was $599. Very reasonable, IMO.
I think it is worth mentioning that they have a 3 week return window, so you can try it out and make sure everything is in tip top shape.

I will most likely do business with them again.

4865422544_6231ca233d_b.jpg

Here it is, with M-Grip, Canon 35/2, and soft release.

Thank you for posting this indeed. I've been seeing their list and the prices of many items are quite good. I'll definitely give Tamarkin a try next time when I consider buying something from KEH.

I've purchased two cameras from them. One had a misaligned viewfinder. I sent it back and they aligned the camera. I think that they are honest and reasonable. They might be a few dollars more than bottom dollar Ebay, but I trust what they tell me.

Yeah, they can be a little more than the deals you might find, but they are very honest people, very friendly to deal with, and just good all around. I am very pleased with my experience.

I bought my digital M from Stan and the experience was great. Later picked up a 21mm finder from Tamarkin with another good transaction / product. It's how problems and unusual situations are handled that really put a seller to test though.

and Stupid Leica, enjoy your M2!

enjoy. I've got that same combo... M2, Canon 35/2 and I'm sure you'll love it as I love mine. be sure to post some images from it here.

Thanks for posting. Its nice to hear some good news sometimes :)
I should say the same about the guys at Lecuit in Luxembourg, close to home. Just too bad they only deal with new stuff but this is a great company as well where trust is recognized as one of the key words for making business.

One thing I like about Tamarkin is that they have always been absolutely straight about the condition of the cameras they sell. Unlike some ebay sellers I have dealt with...

I also have nothing but praise for Stan!
He wasn't my first Leica dealer, but he is the first I will turn to when I am in the market for additional lenses or bodies.

Update- i noticed yesterday afternoon (my first solid day with the camera) that the left lug is kinda loose, so i asked them what we could do about it. Stan asked me if i could send the camera back, and they will fix then return it, no charge. If for some reason they cannot fix it, they will refund me.
Also, they told me "no rush" on sending it back. Really good people.

Thanks for posting this, I've been considering doing business with them once I can afford my next Leica related purchase. It was useful to read your experience, and the experiences of others.

The 35mm summicron I use I bought from Tamarkin in 1990 in mint condition. They allowed me to return a 35mm summilux when I decided I wanted the summicron. I'm still using the lens. Their price on M6 cameras seem to me very reasonable and if I were going to buy one, I would definitely consider Tamarkin. An honest and reputable camera store.

Reliable

Reliable

I agree. I had nothing but good experiences with Tamarkin; have bought a Noct and Summilux 35 non-asph. lately - excellent conditions, as described. In case of any problems, I also have to highlight and praise Sherry Krauter. Wonderful woman, great service and a lot of fun to deal with.

been buying from Stan for Years ....
Exceptional service....True to their Word
Stan is 'The Man' & Kathy is Wonderful too
:)

As suggested by Kathy and Stan, i sent my M2 back to them a few days ago, now just waiting to hear back from them re: strap lug.

Can't wait to get it back. I told Kathy "i'd love to just have you fix the camera and send it back, i dont want a refund on this beautiful camera!" She told me she expected as much lol!

I bought a DR Cron with goggles from Tamarkin a couple months ago for a very reasonable price ($595, as I recall). I was amazed to find out that it was in the original box and the glass was in fantastic shape. The aperture ring was a little bit stiff, but I had Sherry fix it when she overhauled my M3. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

I wholeheartedly agree. I was looking for a "user" M2 a couple of years ago, and they sold me one, well-loved but still shooting perfectly, for a very reasonable price. Great folks to do business with!

Back