The Ultimate FLARE Thread: Pics Please

X100

X100contrajour.jpg

Old thread, but why not.. Zeiss 21mm f/4.5 on an Ikon

4358167523_7e43f6b304_z.jpg

Really impressive.

The sunstar is not flare. It is diffraction. There is a reflection (upper left) that more likely came from the silver filter ring than from the optical system. If so, I wouldn't actually call it flare.

Here's the worst flare I've obtained from the same lens (full sun at edge of frame, shining directly on front element). Shiny filter ring may have made matters worse. I now always use a filter my ZM's. Note the impressive suppression of veiling.

Last edited:
This shot is from my summicron 50mm III. I also have the IV, which supposedly flares less, but in fact I am really happy with the way the III handles flare.

Flare 3 by wintoid, on Flickr

Mamiya Sekor-C 65mm f/4.5, 6x7cm Fuji Provia. This is an extraordinarily flare-resistant lens - and when it does flare, there is almost no overall veiling effect, just deeply-coloured secondary reflections.

Blue_Flare_by_philosomatographer.jpg

NOTE: Lens identification data is necessary in this thread, and please include aperture used if known. This is not a W/NW thread, as it's in the Optics and Lenses forum! The point is to link the flare behavior with the lens that produced it. Thanks and enjoy...

Back