eBay = Evil Bay

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
8:56 PM
Today is the second time a buyer has literally threatened me in the last 3 weeks over a return. The last time eBay took their side. No offense to all my international friends, but both sales were off shore. Good bye eBay.:mad:

I ship CONUS only, just to many games being played elsewhere.
I have won lots of Ebay things from the USA and Canada, UK, Japan with no problems with it arriving safe in Australia. I have also sold lots of things to UK and USA with no problems. However I had one problem with a recent sale to Spain where the goods were 'lost' in transit which meant I footed the bill - so no more shipping to the 'PIGS' for me ...

I feel your pain. Lord knows I've spent a lot of time typing my horrible experiences w/ that company. I used to worry about negative feedback, but now I could care less.

Recently I sold a really, really nice Nikon N90s for the princely sum of $45 there. I always take lots of photos of items, and give detailed descriptions. The buyer complained and complained about some scratches near the strap lugs! They even sent high rez photos to my email. I told them if they didn't like the camera they could send it back for a full refund, but I wasn't going to do a partial refund of even one thin dime because my description was accurate. I also told them I wished there was a way to weed out amateurs from knowledgeable photographers so I wouldn't have to be bothered by this sort of idiocy. More emails followed from the buyer, I deleted them unread, and they finally gave up. I don't think they wanted to risk a claim with eBay, as my photos clearly showed the camera's cosmetic condition.

Some people are just trouble w/ a capital T. If they had left negative feedback, I would have simply added my reply to it. Life is way too short to be worried over what some jerk says.

Coming from the other side, I recently bought a flash listed as 'mint, used once' and found it covered in scratches and scuff marks and with the remnants of adhesive tape on the side. There is no means of recourse that isn't time consuming, frustrating and/or expensive. At least with Craigslist you can inspect the goods.

I feel your pain. Lord knows I've spent a lot of time typing my horrible experiences w/ that company. I used to worry about negative feedback, but now I could care less.

Recently I sold a really, really nice Nikon N90s for the princely sum of $45 there. I always take lots of photos of items, and give detailed descriptions. The buyer complained and complained about some scratches near the strap lugs! They even sent high rez photos to my email. I told them if they didn't like the camera they could send it back for a full refund, but I wasn't going to do a partial refund of even one thin dime because my description was accurate. More emails followed from the buyer, I deleted them unread, and they finally gave up.

Some people are just trouble w/ a capital T. If they had left negative feedback, I would have simply added my reply to it. Life is way too short to be worried over what some jerk says.

I can't comprehend why someone would complain about a few scratches on a $45.00 N90s .... it pretty well sums up the sort of d***heads you encounter on eBay a lot of the time these days.

And the system (eBay) protects these pratts in the long run!

I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
+35 100% positive feedback buying from Germany, USA, Canada, Thailand, Japan, China/HK, Spain, France, UK, Italy, Malaysia. Except once from CA, USA, all the stuff arrived in perfect working order. I've also shipped a lens to NY arriving well. I keep trusting on eBay.

Hi, MikeAUS, I am Spanish, "no more shipping to the 'PIGS' for me". I am proud to be honest in all my transactions. I have bought many times in Ebay and sometimes here and I have had also problems with people from the States sending me unfunctional bricks saying they were working cameras, please don't insult a complete country, everywhere you can find PIGS.

As a buyer, I've had great luck with various places outside of the USA.
But have been burnt too many times with international.

Ya, shipping costs are super high, how else am I gonna get insurance and delivery confirmation? What you're fine with neither insurance or delivery confirmation? Oh so 2 weeks from now you can claim to have never received the item? Ya, um DELETED WORDS.

I've only had one bad experience, with a $50 digicam. Let the guy pay with a money order, it took a while to arrive, he started to claim I was ripping him off - so when it finally arrived, I mailed him the camera and his money order and told him to never bid on my items again. Had another guy buy a knife, decide he didn't like it and wanted a return - told him fine, send it back and I'd refund his money, but he didn't when I said I wasn't paying for return shipping.

I won't ship out of the country (too much can go wrong, and I almost always ship Priority Mail so that it arrives in a couple of days and any problems come up immediately), and have all the other buyer requirements set at their maximum restriction.

Guys; have you ever worked in a retail shop? Some people are just plain weird or will complain endlessly over nothing or will try to rip you off or steal your inventory - yet if you want to survive, you must consider your customer as King. eBay is no different.

Hi, MikeAUS, I am Spanish, "no more shipping to the 'PIGS' for me". I am proud to be honest in all my transactions. I have bought many times in Ebay and sometimes here and I have had also problems with people from the States sending me unfunctional bricks saying they were working cameras, please don't insult a complete country, everywhere you can find PIGS.
By 'PIGS' I was referring to the commonly used acronym for those countries in very poor financial state - ie. Portugal/Italy-Ireland/Greece/Spain. So I guess I was insulting 5 countries ...

I only offer international shipping on expensive items, and in attempt to dissuade international bids I typically state $75+ shipping and handling.

The only time I've ever been ripped off in an online transaction was by a US-based seller - in a transaction through the RFF classifieds, not on the auction site. It was with a member previously in good standing who took money from a whole bunch of us at the same time, on his way out the door.

You can find dishonesty anywhere, even where you least expect it. Most people, thankfully, are honest. Regardless of location, in my experience.

...Mike

Those days I only use ebay to buy stuff. Living in Europe, I stopped buying from US. Shipping is too expensive and taxes too high, it adds 30% to the item price. But honestly, in the past I had experience with both US an European sellers. You can find honest and dishonest people evrywhere...

Was I wrong? does this make sense?

Was I wrong? does this make sense?

I bid on a 28-135 Eos lens pictured in the ad on EBay.The ad copy said 50-135 (typo?)no mention of problems.I win and receive a 28-135 only it won't zoom to 28 at all,it sticks at 50 and that's it.After several back an forth emails the seller gives up tells me to keep the lens and refunds the money.I had the lens repaired and sent a copy of the bill with the difference +10% and the shipping charge.

My fault for not asking if a typo was made:eek:.Sellers fault for not explaining 50-135 for a 28-135

I would tend to agree. Completely unnecessary to start listing countries who's people one has had a bad online encounter with. Pretty soon the list would include all of them.

By 'PIGS' I was referring to the commonly used acronym for those countries in very poor financial state - ie. Portugal/Italy-Ireland/Greece/Spain. So I guess I was insulting 5 countries ...

I don't think that the fact that it refers to countries rather than people makes it less offensive. I've worked a fair bit in Spain recently and people there quite disliked the PIIGS branding for their country.

Back