So looking forward to tomorrow, May 10.

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
2:11 PM
For the first time ever, I am somehow intrigued about the Leica announcement(s) tomorrow.

No particular reason except to see another piece of the "Future Leica" as it unfolds.

The story behind the products being introduced is more intriguing than anything. Just like the story behind every picture.:)

Ahh...we'll see soon enough and then have Photokina to look forward to. It is so fun to watch this with no pressure or stress (or interest) to go out and spend money on yet another camera. Just enjoying the drama.:p

I am too. Hoping to see a different type of 'object' though.
To have an excuse to go and visit the Leica store at DC.

The most exciting part for me is the X2 announcement...just to see how they stepped it up. B&W only cameras don't do it for me at $8000.

The most exciting part for me is the X2 announcement...just to see how they stepped it up.

The 'X2 with a Summilux' rumor is quite interesting; now if it also comes with a FF sensor (which I think they should in the current compact playing field with Sony and Fuji) it'll be quite the camera...

Last edited:
I'm interested to see if the B&W M is for real even though I have zero chance of ever affording one.

I have vowed to not buy another camera this year. (OK, I sorta broke it when I bought a Mamiya 7II, but I did sell a Hasselblad so the that doesn't count does it?) But I do hope I'm wowed by the announcements and then will have about 8 months for things to sort themselves out before making a purchase :D

B&W only with anticipated gains in sharpness, maybe dynamic range, *true* in-camera film stock emulation - I'm very curious. Could be the most intellgent digital alternative to B&W film yet.

The 'X2 with a Summilux' rumor is quite interesting; now if it also comes with a FF sensor (which I think they should in the current compact playing field with Sony and Fuji) it'll be quite the camera...

If it is full frame, has a true, fast Leica lens that isn't a retracting P&S style, and has some kind of built in VF... it'll be hard to resist. Some how though, I don't think it'll be the case. AF with a ext OVF doesn't really do it for me. Imagine they put a focus ring and aperture ring on the lens like the Olympus 12mm for m4/3... drools.

Completely forgot about this. I just know if an M10 is released tomorrow I'll be completely smitten. And what's worse is I know I won't be able to acquire one for quite some time if ever.

If it is full frame, has a true, fast Leica lens that isn't a retracting P&S style...

The retracting lens is really the true X1 annoyance indeed, and slows it down significantly when relaunching it from hibernation. Gosh, how many shots I missed because of that... I really hope they addressed that. And as you said, added a focus dial and aperture dial. jsrockit, they should give us jobs there, we know how to run the X-place best! :D

I'm kind of disaffected, since it might be another overpriced thing for rich people only. (I refer to the B&W only rumor here - what sense would it make to produce that kind of camera and make it even more expensive than the "regular" digital M...?)

I'm kind of curious, too, because there might be some other news and maybe they finally will bring out some of the stuff cryptically announced two or three years ago, when the S2 came on the market. There the bosses said that they would want to act like car manufacturers to introduce the new features in the top notch products and then develop new low-entry products with some of those features or equivalents of it. Which means something like a new digital CL or "entry" level digital M. That would be my piece of cake. Although I'm well aware that something like that would not be available below 1 or 2k $ or €. :rolleyes:

In the end some people are happy with the presentation of tomorrow and some will say: see, told you so... (and I put my 2cents here, not in the other topic where I did not want to comment, for a reason)

I am not expecting an X2 with 35 Summilux to go for $3000 and having APS-C size sensor: Not attractive for a fixed lens camera with 50mm equivalent lens, can not sell well with $1000 over the X1.

I can expect an X2 with 35 Summilux to go for $3000 and having FF sensor. 35mm angle of view is better for a fixed camera also for zone focusing (hopefully it would allow manual override)

In both cases the Summilux will be the 35mm version of the Panasonic DG Summilux.

But that one has only a m4/3 imaging circle... wouldn't that be much too small for a FF sensor?

Summilux design can be "adapted" to cover illumination circles from m4/3 to APS-C to FF.. It certainly would be different than the 25mm DG Summilux with -certainly- larger glass diameters and -most certainly- much larger outer diameter and length (if to involve AF micromotor and the diaphragm automation micromotor and the related circuitry & pcb's too)

BTW, if it would be 35mm and FF, be sure that it won't be retractable.. no way..

Assuming no AF and manual diaphragm? Would Leica go with such a weird thing against the trend? Who knows! This is Leica..

It is likely that the new X2 will have the same lens as X1 i.e. an Elmarit 24mm, albeit with an optional EVF?

I am more curious to find out more about the new Summicron 50mm. Something tells me that it is quite a revolutionary design change. Not that I can afford one when it comes out, but I am excited to know the details.

I also wonder if Thorsten is referring to this new lens in his article:
"What if ... he has finalized his well known - let's not hesitate using as strong a word as - obsession of developing the mother of all 50mm lenses. "

Back