How old were you when you got your first Leica?

32, an R5 c/w 90mm Summicron...I traded in all my existing kit, (Bronica and Nikon system ) and still had to fork out extra from the wallet. But it is what it is........:)

I was 19 when I bought a IIIC with the 3.5 Elmar. It was bought primarily to use with a Micro-Ibso attachment for photomicrographs for school. The camera was stolen years later, after taking many photos while traveling. I didn't buy another until I bought my M3, and later added 2 Barnacks. I like the precision of the earlier models, plus normal humans can afford the.

24, M7.

Worth mentioning that I just bought my first Rolleiflex 2 days ago, and I just turned 25... Where will it end?

24, M7.

Worth mentioning that I just bought my first Rolleiflex 2 days ago, and I just turned 25... Where will it end?

it doesnt.

it will slow down as you figure out what it is you like, then you'll just add a few things here and there instead of the mad shuffle you do in the beginning.

23, M7.
25, M8.
27, M9
I don't think I'll be 29 when I purchase an M10. At least 30, possibly 31.

Finally_by_kmnyc.jpg

Sadly I only have the M9 now.

I was 18, during a summer job at college in '68 when I bought my Leica IIIc, about a year after my first slr purchase (Mamiya/Sekor 1000TL). I paid $49 for the body and another $50 for a 50mm f2 Canon Serenar. Bought my first M3 about 2 years later. Still have and shoot with the Leicas. That Mamiya is history.

Age 23.
When my FED 5V died, everyone I know is telling me to get a Leica. I got an
M4-P and love every minute of it :) Don't have a Leica Lens yet but I want a Canadian Lens to go with it :) 50 or 35 cron :D

37 bought a m3DS
56 bought a m4-p
57 bought IIIf rd
I am a pretty happy guy but envy you that started out really young

there appear to be two groups of us MISH;

the older guys who got one when they were (somewhat) current, and a few of us youngins who just knew what they wanted.

Im lucky enough to have tried a fair bit of different systems. I got HYPED on Leica. The smoothness, the RF thing, etc. Lots of things for me have failed to live up to the hype; Razer mice, Pelikan pens, Nikon cameras, Marshall tube amps.

A few have met and exceeded it. They are products I can use for life; Parker 51s, Leica M cameras, Sennheiser headphones, Cherry keyboards, Hinderer knives. I'm always looking for something new, though.

BTW, Im super hyped on the 50 lux pre-ASPH right now. Since I am too poor to buy one, I urge anyone reading this to consider sending me one for evaluation.

M3 at 18, the 50 cron collapsible I got for it cost me $90.

At that point in time, there were tons of dealers in the back of Shutterbug who would take your Leica gear off your hands and sell it to Japan. Now, there are tons of buyers in China who will take that Leica gear off your hands via ebay...

I was 22 and studying photojournalism at the university of Texas and across campus taking Garry Winogrand's courses in the art department.A very used m3 in 1975.

Back