Fuji price increases

Just asking: Fuji seems to have an opposite view from Kodak's film production press? ? ?

From Fuji link:
The demand for film products is continuously decreasing

- Understand the other reasons for the price increase announcement. Is it too much to ask for Fuji to bring back Neopan 1600 . . . was there a petition ;)

I guess in any competitive market one manuf. raises the others follow suite soon after

So they have people tripping over themselves to buy their latest digitals, the Xpro and X100 etc, and respond with a double digit percentage price increase for their films!!!!!

Fuji and Kodak should take a leap IMO ... I'll be supporting Ilford and the other manufacturers like Efke, Foma etc.

Maybe this should have gone in the 'film forum' so all the potential Xpro and X100 buyers don't hyperventilate when they see the thread title! :D

"The demand for film products is continuously decreasing, yen's appreciation and the cost of production, such as raw materials, oil and energy, continues to rise or stay at high level."

Wow, that's quite a statement. :eek: Let the hoarding commence!

Expensive film gets even more expensive and I continue to buy from Ilford. Nice film that dries flat with no arching :)

Just bought some Neopan 400 from B&H. It was already getting a bit pricey for my tastes; I figured I should pick some up before it gets worse.

And they're also busy making the things that are killing it off!

Ironic really!

Oh, yes but don't knock them because of that. Maybe you ought to write Canon and Nikon and ask them to put in a film line, instead of a new or expanded digital marketing department.

Well, all that and our major competitor just announced it's ending it's slide film production... So where else are you going to go for e6? ;)

Seriously though, I understand the price increase. I'm just happy they're still making film at all! I got back into film two years ago with the understanding that:

1. It will increasingly be a niche product for artists and amateurs.
2. The cost for film will rise accordingly.
3. I want to shoot as much film as I can while it's still around!
4. I can make up some of the cost difference by being able to purchase ridiculously inexpensive used film cameras that I never could have afforded when film was king.

Interesting that these companies are increasing the price of 35mm film to the point that it can't be shot like 35mm film. $3 bucks a roll is pretty reasonable for 36 B&W exposures in 35mm. $5-10 dollars though? Might as well use sheet film and a view camera. Of course then you lose the 35mm aesthetic and freedom.

I really hope that whoever is left standing in the film world holds that position through playing a smart game, not by being the slowest to die.

So they have people tripping over themselves to buy their latest digitals, the Xpro and X100 etc, and respond with a double digit percentage price increase for their films!!!!!

Fuji and Kodak should take a leap IMO ... I'll be supporting Ilford and the other manufacturers like Efke, Foma etc.

I don't think you've been paying attention to what Ilford have been doing with their prices, especially in the UK.

$3 bucks a roll is pretty reasonable for 36 B&W exposures in 35mm. $5-10 dollars though? Might as well use sheet film and a view camera.

Oh, come on.

You can still get Delta 100 or 400 for $56 per 100 feet, without even trying. That comes out to about $3/roll. Maybe $3.50 a roll if I add chemistry and negative sleeves. In constant dollars I was paying at least that much in the early '90s, and back then good film cameras were expensive.

And in the late '90s I was paying probably $15-18 a roll to shoot & develop Kodachrome or Provia.

Oh, yes but don't knock them because of that. Maybe you ought to write Canon and Nikon and ask them to put in a film line, instead of a new or expanded digital marketing department.

Brilliant .... I'll get the pen and paper out now.

I'll let y'all know when I've heard back from them! :D

I don't think you've been paying attention to what Ilford have been doing with their prices, especially in the UK.

Oh I've been paying attention all right ... and I'm damned thankful I don't live there!

Why Ilford is so cheap in the US and so dear in Europe is a mystery to me? That deal Freestyle had on HP5 a while ago was amazing ... I was paying just over two dollars per roll!

Oh I've been paying attention all right ... and I'm damned thankful I don't live there!

Why Ilford is so cheap in the US and so dear in Europe is a mystery to me? That deal Freestyle had on HP5 a while ago was amazing ... I was paying just over two dollars per roll!

Loss leader. It was an attempt to expand into the US market. Now that Kodak is tanking and Fuji is raising prices, I wouldn't expect to see it again. Ilford doesn't need to do it now...

When one is beyond P&S photography, prices rise no matter if it's film or digital. How much exposures you have to make to justify those $1000+ compacts? I know, instant feedback and such...it's nice, but for $1000 I can shoot film for some years...yet have to see what wears out faster - my film stash or digi. camera. Well, I'm not saying all consumers have to return to film P&S - that will not happen anymore, most probably, but as I can't force myself to use cheap basic digital cameras I'm still not dropping film. Probably I'll shoot less casual stuff like I'm used to but for family events and projects I sure will buy film. I think I have to shoot much more to get feeling it's worth buying quality digital kit.

Back