Perkeo II needs a shutter CLA, who?

underbyte

Established
Local time
4:18 AM
I can post this here because there is a rangefinder sitting on this folding camera :)

I just received a Perkeo II from the *bay, and while it is in nice condition, the syncro-compur shutter is not happening. It fires at 1/15 when set to 1/50, and sticks if you go any slower. I shot a test roll using 1/50 and 1/100 and the results look pretty good based on good guesses. I'll see the color-skopar performance once they are dry.

So, who in the USA will CLA an otherwise working folder with a Synchro-Compur that goes to 1/500? I want to take it on my trip to CO in a month so hopefully there is a fast and reliable tech out there.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• perkeo_II.jpg
    perkeo_II.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Yeah, Certo6 seems to get mixed reviews. When he is good, he is very good. When he is bad, he is very bad. He also sometimes takes a long time to get work done and back. See if someone else can recommend someone. I seem to recall there is a repair person in NJ that comes highly recommended. S.J. Grimes may also be able to help.

Are you the least bit mechanically inclined and brave? It probably only needs degreasing with lighter fluid. You would need to pull the lens elements off, and maybe even the shutter, but that probably isn't too hard. A thourough flush and it will probably be fine.

Careful onn disassembly

Careful onn disassembly

I've been very lucky with the "Ronsonol Flush" on a number of these compur shutters and the Vaskar/Prontor shutters.

However, it gets tricky if you take the front cell off. I try to limit the flush through the rear of the mechanism, with rear cell removal only. I hold the shutter open with bulb and clear the lighter fluid from the back of the front cell with a swab or cotton on a pencil.

If you take the cell off the front, you stand the risk of losing track of the front cell focusing. If you do this be very strick about marking where the cell comes off. Turn the focus ring to nearest focus and mark where it sits on the shutter... mark both spots for final re-assembly.
then after the focus ring is off, start to unscrew the lens cell. COUNT CLOSELY the number of turns until it releases from the shutter thread AND mark both the lens cell and the shutter throat for the point of release from the assembly. I think there are double or triple threads on the shutter and front cell, so the re-entry can be at a wrong thread location. Make sure you are trying to restart the thread at the place it releases from the shutter.

If you are off a thread ring or two, the front focusing will be off.

As I said, I try to flush front cell focusing shutter lens assemblies without removing any of the focus ring/front cell mechanism. It usually works if you are carefull about cleaning the back of the front cell off through the shutter/aperture.

I think I have brought well over a half dozen of these shutters back to correct timing, or close enough with the lighter fluid flush.

Camera sent!

Camera sent!

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I opted to send it to a more local and recommended repair guy in WI. I'm in MN so he's right next door. I've done the "Ronsonol Flush" as well and this camera is in good enough shape, that I don't want to do more harm than good. I don't have a lens spanner and I've put my share of scratches into cameras that ended up as pinhole cameras. This Perkeo II, I want someone more careful than me :)

Thanks again, we'll see in a 3-4 weeks how good this camera can perform.

Back