a quick question on Leica glow

thank you all!
@Brian: I guess everything that fly in orbit would 'glow' on their re-entry :)
@Keith & Jules: these are very nice 'glow' on your images, thank you for sharing.

35/1.4 pre asph lux, no flash used:

757761318_2Ychd-L-1.jpg

Well, for comparison, here is what a Summarit with a bunch of cleaning marks looks like when shot relatively wide open. This is another pair of shots from the a zombie walk in Seattle:
4764935986_b67eeb228f.jpg

4762041250_a4b2ed76e9.jpg

Both of these were shot with the lens itself in the shade (ie no direct light hitting it). Maybe I should start referring to this as glow instead as I have no Leica glass to compare it against. ;)

Brian, where is this? National Air and Space Museum? I didn't see this view in the USAF museum in Ohio.

It is the National Air & Space Museum, but at the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles Airport, not the National Mall Building in downtown DC.

I am new to Leica but I see the "glow" as the unique way that it handles the blown or almost blown highlights. Somewhat the same thing that an audiophile hears in a vacuum tube amplifier.

L1000_47.jpg

L1000_6_.jpg

L1010002.jpg

Pete

I actually see more of this stuff going on in Zeiss lenses than Leica! Every Zeiss lens I have will exhibit some type of flare when the conditions are right!

Well, a good comparison between the 1953 Summarit lens and a magnificent Nikon zoom lens on a D2X is shown here (see posts #1 and # 16), also, there are a couple of images with flare using the Summarit. The differences should be obvious:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82371&highlight=smoky

My Grandmother used to say "ladies glow, men perspire, horses sweat".

But as to Leica glow specifically, it's a myth, like Leprechauns or Fairies or Eskimos.;)

Brian, where is this? National Air and Space Museum? I didn't see this view in the USAF museum in Ohio.

The Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport. It is Big. It is a Second Air and Space Museum for the Smithsonian.

My Grandmother used to say "ladies glow, men perspire, horses sweat".

But as to Leica glow specifically, it's a myth, like Leprechauns or Fairies or Eskimos.;)

Yeah, but in the South... our southern belles don't sweat, they simply become "dew-ey"...;)

Back