What M-Lenses Are "Must Have"?

bwcolor

Mentor
Local time
6:43 PM
I mean this in the sense of which of your lenses has that desirable something that can't be found in other lenses of the same focal length? Which is the last lens that you will sell? What is it that this lens does to the exclusion of all others?

For Leica M: Noctilux, 35mm Summilux-M pre-ASPH, and 21mm Super-Angulon-M. These three lenses + the M4-P and I am set ...:)

Noctilux: there is nothing comparable

35mm Summilux-M: combination of size and "character" (flaws) at f/1.4

21mm Summilux-M: free from distortion and very very center-sharp.

Newer lens design are better corrected but I don`t like these newer designs very much for BW film, for color it is a different story.

If I have to choose one, my choice would be the Elmar-M 50/2.8. Super compact, nice mix of modern and classic look to the photos (good higher contrast than older Elmars, but not as contrasty as many other modern glasses, very flare resistant, etc), controls are a lot easier to use compared to older Elmars. At least I have no problem with aperture control neither. And again, you can't beat the size. I can easily put the camera in my coat pocket with this tiny lens. This is perfect travel/everyday lens. And because I want a small take-everywhere lens, larger/faster lens aren't my priority. F2.8 is all I need.

If I ever lose this for any reasons, I'll find another one.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say my 35mm Summicron has a 'look' that can't be replicated with any other 35mm lens, but it has an all-round ability that cannot be beaten by any other 35mm lens. That's why I'm going to keep this lens for as long as it lasts.

As for Leica lenses that are totally unique and, in a sense, a "must have":

50mm Noctilux (both 0.95 and 1.0 versions)
21mm Summilux

35mm Summicron is a major lens for many Leica shooters and considered the workhorse of the Leica stable. The ergonomics and compactness of the lens is not replicated by any other brand and the glass is great of course. 35mm Summicron ASPH.

The Noct pre-asph produced some great fotos for me. The color just popped. People say its big and heavy, but man it delivers.

I think it boils down to two aspects: B&W or color, and what FL works for you. As far as I am concerned, the 21/3.4 SA, the 35 Summaron (or perhaps Summicron 1st version), Summicron DR ( or collapsible), Noctilux 50/1.0 and even Summilux 50/1.4 pre ASPH are all wonderful lenses for B&W which do not have close equivalents anywhere else. Then there is also The 75 Summilux and 90 Summicron pre APO that are great, but I do not use these FL's too often.

If I have to restrict myself to only M mount lenses, then the one lens that I would keep is the Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 Aspherical. Whilst it's not compact, it's very versatile and the image quality from both film and digital cameras is fairly pleasing.

Cheers,

35mm asph

21mm f4.5 biogon

50mm planar or sonar

I've never tried any of these, it's just what i'd pick if I wasn't a poor beast.

A lot depends on what you mean by "a lens which does something others can't", and on whether you want/need that application. In other words, how unusual is the image, either for 'character' or for sharpness, and what combination of physical advantages does the lens have (small size, big aperture, fast handling...)?

The most unusual lens I use on my Ms is a Thambar, which is unique in being a rangefinder-coupled soft-focus lens. But if you don't like soft focus, it's a waste of quite a lot of money. And I use an old 35 Summilux (bought new in 1984 or so) instead of a 35 Summicron because while the Summicron is better at f/2 to f/4, by f/5.6 it's hard to tell them apart and at f/1.4 there is no contest. I had both; I got rid of the one I saw no reason to keep.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
CV 35/1.2, M-Hexanon 50/1.2. LTM Nikkor 5cm 1.4 is pretty special lens too. ZM Biogon 21/2.8 is also great, but may be replaced by 21 Summilux - for me.

Absolutely none. Seriously.

The options are so diverse, as are the requirements and personal preferences, that it only ever comes down to what is right for you.

I have been extremely impressed by Leica lenses at either end of their price scale (relative I know) and currently find my 24 1.4 lux a lens I could truly not live without...but were I to stop photographing inside buildings with no internal lighting I would not need it at all. The other lens I love is the 35 summarit, with no asph or floating elements. My 75 summarit also blew me away. When it focused (and it is on its way back to me now from leica). Do I own a 35 lux asph II, noctilix, 35 pre asph lux, V4 king of bokeh, 50 lux asph? No. Am I missing out? No. My lens choices have shifted as my needs have. Maybe in the future the most important lens to me now (24 lux) will be sold to make way for something else I urgently needs and cannot afford to own concurrently? maybe. After all I sold the 50 lux asph to buy a Canon 85 1.2L II for portraits!

Horses for courses!

For me there are two. The f1.0 Noctilux because of its rendering wide-open; truly unique. Also the 35 Summicron ASPH because it can do everything; the perfect one-lens piece of kit.

For me there are no must lenses.

But (as no SLR lens gives that) the Voigtländer 15 in M mount (with easy filtering and RF couping for close subjects) made me come to RFs, and there's no Leica offer there, or by any other brand: not even close (it's a very small and light lens: it's not about money). Just like their R4M camera...

For moderate wide, and normal or short tele lenses, there are lots of nice options by several brands... But "must lenses" because they clearly make our images better than the rest of the lenses... None at all... If that was true or possible, we'd all buy those two or three lenses, and no brand would produce lenses anymore...

It's more about which skills are a must in a photographer.

Cheers,

Juan

This thread is just starting and maybe 25 different lenses from all brands are "must have lenses" by now... Right title to this thread: "All M mount lenses".

Let's add:

The 28 3.5 by CV I use on my four M mount cameras is one of (THE?) the smallest lenses ever built with its build and image quality and tiny size... A must for street shooting when a small camera/lens set is important... Almost always?

Cheers,

Juan

I will keep my 35 Summaron f2.8 and 50 collapsible Summicron for ever. I have modern-character lenses in my SLR kits. In RF's, I prefer vintage lens character, which is why I also have the 35 Summaron f3.5, 50 Elmar f3.5, 50 Summar f2, 50 CZJ Sonnar (converted to ltm), and 90 Elmar f4.

Interestingly, all my other RF lenses are CV: 50f2.5 for modern look normal, 40f1.4 for fast, 21f4 for wide.

Last edited:
Back