Hand held TLR and 400 ISO film?

lbenac

Established
Local time
6:32 AM
Hello,

I just purchased a Minolta Autocord on *Bay as I am slowly building up a small collection of film cameras (Hasselblad 500CM, Pentax 645, Canon RF, FED, Pentax LX...) or I guess just because I like cameras...
I intend to use it as a walk around camera so not necessarily on a tripod for landscape and misc. I have no experience with fast MF film (I only shoot B&W) as use only 25 or 100 in 120.
Is there anybody that could share experience?
I do a lot of stand development which usually gives me up to one stop (25 shot 50, 100 shot 160, 400 shot 640/800).
I tried to buy some 120 Neopan 400 but was told that Fuji had discontinued the film.

Cheers,

Luc

Neopan 400 used to be my absolute favourite until it became to costly for me. As you can imagine, I'm too poor for Tri-X as well. Now I shoot Fomapan 400 exclusively, which looks quite nice in Rodinal, stand and normal. You should definitely try it.

Still available are Tri-X, HP5+, Delta 400 and Fomapan 400.
I tried Fomapan and discarded it as I found there were too many imperfections in the emulsion and it's also a very soft emulsion and marks easily. If you try it, don't use a stop bath. Personally I'd prefer to pay a little more and not have to worry about film quality, even though the results can look nice.
If you go over to the "Film" forum you'll find a thread there on stand development - Lyn Miller has quite a bit of experience using it.

I find it much easier to hold my TLR steady than any of my SLR's or my RF, you may be fine using the slower film you are accustomed to.

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. Yes I have seen his threads on pushing TriX400. I also have a small book on stand development.
I have used Fomapan 100 in 120 quite a bit but will not buy more once the 30 or 40 rolls I have are gone.
1) Too much curl
2) Too many issues with stand development or even semi-stand
I end-up using Perceptol 1+2 or 1+3 for this film with good results.

Cheers,

Luc

Medium format 400 speed film gives me better/richer tonality/smoother results than 35mm 100 speed film.

Two 100 speed films I like, and would prefer to shoot in my Rollei TLR, are Plus-X and Ilford Delta 100 Pro. If you were considering ISO 400, I would add Delta 400 Pro, and Tri-X.

Back