Favourite Non leica M Mount Lenses

I have far from tried all the non-Leica M mounted lenses, but I would say the CV 15/4.5: it has simply offered my so many shots on my M6 and RD1s that I o/w would not have got.

Does lusting for a lens count? the Hexanon 50/1.2 has been on my 'must own' list for a long time....

Leica 50/1.4 is by far my most used lens. I used to be a 35 guy and the 35/2 biogon was a go-to lens for years. Gave it up for a 'lux.

nikkor sc 50/1.4

I was gonna say the same thing. Even though mine's a Nikon S mount lens I use one of Amedeo's adapters on my M6. There is a LTM version that is supposed to be even better.

I've been using LTM Nikkors 35/28 f/3.5 on the M6 too. I'm impressed with the sharpness from these tiny lenses.

Another relatively unknown but nice lens is the Tanack 50/2 by Tanaka Kogaku. LTM and sharp, sharp, sharp. Got mine from Stephen Lee not too long ago. But you don't see them very often for sale, or even mentioned being used.

Another vote for the Konica 35mm UC-Hexanon though it's LTM.
The ZM 21mm f/2.8 is amazing.
The 10.5cm f/2.5 Nikkor is one of their oldest optics, one that Nikon built their reputation upon, and it's still one of the best. Also LTM.

Phil Forrest

Another vote for the ZM 50mm f1.5 Sonnar-C. It's not wthout its quirks, but its unique signature make it well worth at least giving it a try.

I am going to add the Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f2.0 to the list. It has a lovely old-school look about it, featuring moderate contrast and excellent sharpness. It's also wonderfully small and light weight.

Another vote for the Konica 35mm UC-Hexanon though it's LTM.
The ZM 21mm f/2.8 is amazing.
The 10.5cm f/2.5 Nikkor is one of their oldest optics, one that Nikon built their reputation upon, and it's still one of the best. Also LTM.

Phil Forrest

Phil, if you like the UC 35 and the Nikkor 105, you should try the Nikkor 35/1.8 LTM, the UC's grand-parent !

My current favorite non-Leica lenses are Hex 50/2.4 (LTM) and 90/2.8 (M). Always amazed at the 35/2.5 Color Skopar (M or LTM), too.

I am going to add the Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f2.0 to the list. It has a lovely old-school look about it, featuring moderate contrast and excellent sharpness. It's also wonderfully small and light weight.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one! One of my favorites, maybe even more pleased with the results than the UC-Hex....

Phil, if you like the UC 35 and the Nikkor 105, you should try the Nikkor 35/1.8 LTM, the UC's grand-parent!

I've been wanting to find one, but they're (ironically?) more expensive and harder to find in LTM than the UC-Hex!

Ari

Not to spoil the party (which is interesting) but fast (f.1.? to 2.8) would be preferred.
Would a Konica 28/2.8 be different enough as I own the 1980's Leica M 28/2.8?

The Konica 50/1.2 would be perfect, but the price??..... well at least on Ebay.

Mister E has the non-Leica 35 in M-mount that I desire to a great extent. The 2005 re-issued W-Nikkor 35/1,8 with the better coatings and slightly closer focus than its older grandparent.

Mister E has the non-Leica 35 in M-mount that I desire to a great extent. The 2005 re-issued W-Nikkor 35/1,8 with the better coatings and slightly closer focus than its older grandparent.

Did you happen to catch this comment by Tom A comparing the vintage and new Nikkors, Thomas? My experience has been similar, although I'd go as far as to say that wide open the corners of images taken with the reissue 35/1.8 are also much better than the vintage 35/1.8 (at least with my copies). Makes me think crazy thought of converting my own lens :eek:

Favorite would be the 35 UC hexanon if you count LTM. (I don't currently own one, but sometimes wish I still did.) Great images and I don't believe there is a prettier lens out there.

In actual M mount, I'd have to go with my current favorite, the Zeiss 50 Planar. Great lens.

Back