GXR Firmware Update 1.50

Yeah, that really sucks. I'm on the fence because I want a B&W preview but want raw only.
I love the GXR but the engineers should be working at McDonalds.

But if they worked at McDonald's you'd end up with your fries cooked right into your burger in order to prevent too much dust getting on them :)

Speaking of dust, my 28 lensor has a fair amount of dust on the sensor now. What's irritating is that my old Nikon DSLR actually lasted longer without dust than this did and at least when it did get dusty I could clean it off. I've got quite a love/hate relationship going on with this thing at the moment.

That sucks. How did you discover the dust? Were you actually looking for it or did it just become prominent on images?
Not that I want to find any in my units but I'm just being curious.
If I found dust on the sensor, I'd open the sucker up and get rid of it.

I go to Independence Hall all the time here in Philly. In the restrooms they have those new fangled forced air hand dryers. Well, I put the camera in there up and down for around 10-15 seconds whenever I have to take a...uh, you know.
So far if there was any dust, it's gone.
Don

I'm far too chicken to disassemble the unit. I discovered it when I was looking over some landscape stuff I was doing and my first thought was "sealed unit indeed." Check out the top right of this image and you'll see it. Most of the time it makes no difference but it still irritates me.

Attachments

• R1023715.jpg
    R1023715.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 0
Dust is inevitable and can afflict any digital camera.
Just send the camera unit in for cleaning.

Dust is inevitable and can afflict any digital camera.
Just send the camera unit in for cleaning.
Yeah, I emailed C.R.I.S. camera about the problems and they want me to send it in for a quote. I don't understand why they can't give me a general idea of price since I'm sure they do these repairs all the time.

In my opinion the modules sold as "sealed" units should never get dust on the sensor. If they are genuinely sealed then the dust must have been got in there during assembly.

I've heard "$150 and up" as the charge for cleaning these sensors. Unacceptable to me, it should be free (and a pre-paid shipping box provided too). It won't affect me though because the M-mount module is all I will ever purchase but still.

Sensor cleaning is absolutely simple and trivial to do. These lensor modules make it impossible.

In my opinion the modules sold as "sealed" units should never get dust on the sensor. If they are genuinely sealed then the dust must have been got in there during assembly.

No lens, "lensor" or camera can be "sealed" if it changes size when focusing, or zooming for that matter. The air simply has to go somewhere, so it goes in and out, carrying dust particles with it. It's inevitable.

Back