Need help identifying this Rolleiflex please

Pirate

Guitar playing Fotografer
Local time
6:27 PM
Found it in a used "stuff" store. They don't know much about it, and I only know the model info of the one I currently own, so I'm asking for any help in properly identifying it.

I forgot to get a pic of the serial number but I can go back in a couple days and get that too.

I'm posting a link to the image instead of posting the image itself because it's rather large so you can see as much detail as my iPhone could capture:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/327/0/f/1_by_dudewithad700-d4h3qpp.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/327/3/4/2_by_dudewithad700-d4h3qws.jpg

Thanks

Thanks, I've been looking through that link already and it's a good one.

I can't find Automat, Model 2 in that list...

I know its a 3.5 Tessar lens (Zeiss), has M and X switch on the side, is a Bayonet I.

And there's no T on the shutter speed indicator, it stops at B.

This one??:

Rolleiflex 3.5 F Model 2 - Model K4E
February 1960 - November 1960, 11,500 pieces
Serials: 3.5F-2.230.00 - 3.5F-2.241.499
(reserved range up to 2.249.999)
Taking Lens:
Tessar 3,5/75mm Carl Zeiss Oberkochen
Xenotar 3.5/75mm, Schneider Kreuznach, both Bayonet 2
Finder lens:
Zeiss or Schneider Heidosmat 2,8/75mm, Bayonet 2
Shutter:
Synchro Compur MXV, 1 - 1/500 sec., B, M + X-sync., self timer.

Film: 120 for 12 or 24 exp. 6x6, and 35mm adapter Rolleikin 2.
Film Transportation: winding lever with auto stop on first exposure, exposure counter for exposures 1-12. Blank film pressure plate.
Can come with or without built in exposure metering.
Dimensions: 11.2x9.8x14.8cm.
Weight: 1,220 grams.

This looks to have everything except the strap lugs are very different. These look to be a very early style of strap lug.
And my hood from my 4x4 (bayonet I) fit on the taking lens of this Rolleiflex.

It is definitely an Automat, not a 3.5F. I went through a lot of lists trying to identify my Model 1, and found a lot of errors between them. It may be an Automat 1 Model 2. Off the top of my head, I can't remember all the different versions, but the hood and front layout is later version Automat.

PF

Usually in the US referred to as a K4A, or an Automat MX. Second from the bottom here-
http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tlr/info/automat.shtml

If the shutter is working smoothly at all speeds and the focus is smooth and the lens is not marked up, definitely worth owning. Worth up to maybe $350 in clean working condition. You'll probably want to put in a new mirror and focus screen.

Things to note for narrowing down these models: the size of the focus knob (small on this one, later models have larger knobs), style of focus hood (sports finder on yours, those made right after the war have no sports finder opening), configuration of the M/X switch (above sync port on yours, around sync port on later models), style of shutter release button and shutter lock.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan,

The taking lens is marked up a good bit but nothing that should effect general pictures - just wouldn't use it for anything critical. The shutter works smooth and the aperture and shutter speed dials are silky smooth to operate. I had to check those twice to make sure they were really working. It's got a good amount of wear to it and it's fair share of dings and dents but seems a solid piece. The shop is asking $250 for it. Havn't decided if I'll grab it yet or not.

Dan is correct; it's an Automat MX, sometimes referred to as an Automat type 4, factory designation is K4A, serial nrs. should be between 1200000 to 1298999 or from 1401000 to approx. 1427999.

With a marked-up lens and over-all 'user' condition, $250 seems high to me. At the least, don't expect to get the same if you go to sell it down the road. If you plan to use it until it dies, then pay whatever fits your mood :)

Also, be careful of old leather straps. I lost a Rolleicord to one breaking years ago, dropping it to the sidewalk.

It's a Rolleiflex 3,5 A.

That's what it's called in Europe. And yes, it's called "MX" in America. I'm not sure if it was marketed with that name in America, or if was named that by collectors.

I wouldn't pay $250 for an MX with a damaged lens. I have a pair of MX-EVSs, high SNs, one mint, that I got last year for $245 & 285.

Above all, start with a good lens. Then you can get a bright screen and CLA when you feel ready.

Back