E mount Voigtlanders likely?

Ken Ford

Refuses to suffer fools
Local time
5:22 AM
Has anyone heard rumors about whether Mr. K has any native E mount manual focus lenses in the oven? It's a fertile market IMO...

I think it's pretty likely actually. Voigtlander made lenses for the Nikon and Contax S mounts, which is a TINY market....and they're making M43 lenses. I definitely think we could see a Sony lens at some point.

I highly doubt it.. the smaller sensor size of the m4/3rds system allowed them to make smaller faster lenses that they didn't already have or couldn't reasonably make in full frame. An APS-C sensor is so much closer to full frame they'd be making lenses only slightly smaller than what they're already making in Leica M mount. Sony is an unknown quantity right now, no one expected them to drop mirrored SLR's from their lineup completely, even though Sony looks to be expanding their E-Mount line up, it could vanish just as quickly if the profits aren't there or they could decide that the future is in full-frame NEX cameras. If Olympus or Panasonic decided to get out of the game, there would still be at least one manufacturer for CV to sell their lenses for.

The fact that Leica adapters are so readily available for the NEX system means CV can just keep making lenses for their existing camera base and let Sony users adapt them themselves instead of investing R&D and capital producing a line of lenses for a system with a dubious future.

The fact that they made lenses for the 4/3rds system is still kind of amazing to me, think about the cross section a user is most likely in if they want a CV M4/3rds lens. A) the have to want MF lenses for their camera (which means they probably already have some sort of manual focus system B) They're willing to dish out $1000 for a lens that doesn't work with their existing manual focus system.

Personally I'd much rather invest in CV M or ltm glass that will work with both my Sony AND my Leica film kit... even if they did come out with a CV E-Mount lens, it would have to be something REALLY special and affordable for me to pick it up.

I think it's pretty likely actually. Voigtlander made lenses for the Nikon and Contax S mounts, which is a TINY market....and they're making M43 lenses. I definitely think we could see a Sony lens at some point.

And they're no longer making those lenses... I think they learned their lesson in investing money in tiny markets :)

I'd love to see the 25/0.95 ported over to native E mount. I'd take one over the Zeiss 24mm in a heartbeat!

I think its probable. but seems they are competing Zeiss in every turn, like now with SLR and RF lenses. and same time partner with them.

Necrobump, but I was the OP, so I'm allowed. :)

I'd still love to see MF Voigtlander lenses in native E mount... it's been two years since they made the comment that they were interested.

Back