Windows monitor profile not loading - the solution

RichC

Well-known
Local time
8:28 PM
I've been plagued for years by Windows' half-arsed colour profile support. It work's fine but it's not intuitive and it's glitchy.

One glitch that I find especially annoying is that my monitor profile loads fine when Windows starts - but it's lost when the PC comes out of hibernation, so I have to reapply it manually via Settings > Color Management > Advanced tab > Reload current calibrations every time...!

Anyway, I finally managed to fix it, so I thought I'd provide the solution for those in the same boat.

First, make sure that Windows' Color Management is set up correctly to use color profiles:

1. You have the right profile set as the default
2. You have "Use Windows display calibration" selected (this doesn't use the nasty Microsoft calibration but - unintuitively - allows profiles to be used!)

Instructions here: http://www.studio-owens.com/blog/Windows-7-Color-Calibration-Reverting-And-The-Solution.htm. Ignore the Intel graphics advice unless you have that problem.

That's the first part. The profile's still lost in Windows 10 and earlier when the PC comes out of hibernation! This fixes it:

1. Run Task Scheduler
2. Find the event shown in the folder structure below
3. Edit WindowColorSystem to add an extra trigger, with the details shown below.

Explanation: WindowColorSystem is the event that loads the monitor profile when Windows starts. The new trigger simply tells Windows to also load the profile when it comes out of hibernation. Why Microsoft didn't think of this I have no idea!

Clipboard01.jpg

Back