Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rangefinder Photography Discussion (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What other RF's are the same sizer as a Canonet G-III? (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19007)

squeaky_clean 02-27-2006 09:52

What other RF's are the same size as a Canonet G-III?

So, a friend of mine was playing with my G-III this weekend and fell in love with it. I'm now on the lookout for something about the same size as it... His budget was rather smallish, so a decent G-III isn't going to happen, though maybe a Canonet 28. Anything else out there in that size range that has decent glass and would go cheap? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Size was the biggest concern for him, I think. Something close to the $30 mark, and hopefully with a meter... Any ideas?

JoeFriday 02-27-2006 10:11

there's the Minolta HiMatic series.. the 7Sii is the best, but usually go for about $50-80... and it's twin is the Vivitar 35ES.. excellent glass and easy to use.. I believe there's a Revue model that's a clone, also

I can't really think of any that will be in that price range, tho.. except maybe the G28 you mentioned.. there is also the GSN, but that is huge compared to the Canonets

you might want to shoot G'man a PM and see if he has anything in the works

Rob 02-27-2006 10:17

There are some small konica c35s in that size also.

louis 02-27-2006 10:18

My first 35mm, the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s. Also, the Konica Auto S-2.

JimG 02-27-2006 10:25

I got a Konica C35 from gman for $20 or $25. Great P&S RF!

JoeFriday 02-27-2006 10:28

personally, I think your friend ought to just invest a little more and get a G17.. they're more than worth the extra $50

cp_ste.croix 02-27-2006 10:37

The oly RC can sometimes be found for a song, but I have to say that the ql 17/GIII is a great little camera

JimG 02-27-2006 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeaky_clean
So, a friend of mine was playing with my G-III this weekend and fell in love with it. I'm now on the lookout for something about the same size as it... His budget was rather smallish, so a decent G-III isn't going to happen, though maybe a Canonet 28. Anything else out there in that size range that has decent glass and would go cheap? I can't think of any off the top of my head. Size was the biggest concern for him, I think. Something close to the $30 mark, and hopefully with a meter... Any ideas?

Squeakyclean; See www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm for some good choices.

Kim Coxon 02-27-2006 10:42

The S2 is quite large, about the size of the early Canonets. The S3 is about the same size as are many of the Olys such as the RD, DC and the earlier EC series. However most of the "adjustable" ones are all going to be in the GIII price bracket. The cheaper ones tend to be the auto only point and shoots like the 28. The XA1 and XA2 should be within the price bracket.

Kim

Quote:

Originally Posted by louis
My first 35mm, the Minolta Hi-Matic 7s. Also, the Konica Auto S-2.

amateriat 02-27-2006 10:55

I finally found a Konica S3 a few months ago and love the daylights out of it. It meets your qualifications (and your friend's needs/wants) almost exactly, except for price: if anything, it's likely to be as much if not more than a GIII (mine was about $145, including shipping, via the 'Bay). Besides this model, there are any of the better numbers from Minolta and Olympus particularly, but pricing will be catch-as-catch-can; these things are now recognized for the "sleepers" they truly are.

- Barrett

filmgoerjuan 02-27-2006 12:27

The Minolta 7s-II and Konica Auto S3 are both somewhat smaller than the GIII QL-17 -- if that is an issue.

The Canonet 28 is a great camera and fits your friend's needs; however, it may be a little limiting due to its fully automatic exposure controls. Perhaps see if you can find a Canonet QL17 (i.e. non-GIII) or QL19, which should go for less than the GIII. The QL19, in particular, has all the form and (nearly all) the functionality of the GIII, but should be closer to the $30 mark.

bcs89 02-27-2006 12:56

Chris, I second the Oly 35RC - just make sure if you get one that it does not pass through your hands first - you may not want to part with it :D ! There is one on the bay - ending tonight - that is still in the reasonable range. In just the last few weeks I have seen them go for around $20 all the way to $80+, so it's a crap shoot. Good luck, with what ever you decide.

(35RC Item number: 7592800790)

afaceinthecrowd 02-27-2006 13:04

How about the Ricoh 500's? Small and cheap ... under rated and usually overlooked :D

dan

dostacos 02-27-2006 18:16

evilbay ending soonest keep bidding [lowball] until ya hit, it WILL happen

that is if Greyhoundman does not have a winner just waiting

Jon Goodman 02-27-2006 18:53

Well, there is a Canon which will take excellent pictures, and it is overlooked. But...it is an auto focus model. Watch for the AF35ML. It uses standard AA batteries (2), has auto advance, a built-in flash, and a nice 1.9 / 40mm lens with a very nice blue/purple coating.
Jon

allthumbs 02-27-2006 20:00

Why don't you buy the Hi Matic Jon Goodman's offering for $35?

Kat 02-27-2006 21:48

Is he in a hurry? You can get good deals in ebay, if you're just patient. I was able to get an RC (working, but filter ring dent) and a GIIIQL17 (unknown condition, it was an impulse buy so wasn't able to ask seller, still with my sis in the US) for a little over $30 shipped last year. Prices are just a little high now.

I like compacts, so I had my eye on Vivitar ES/Revue 400, Petri Color 35, Minolta 7SII and Konica S3 before, but I think they come out much higher (prices) than the two previously mentioned (usually over 50, some over 100), so I gave up. The Konica C35 is cheaper than everything else, but fully Auto.

MelanieC 02-27-2006 22:01

I just got a Canonet G-III QL17 for $35 shipped because it has a couple of nuisance issues that don't really affect use from my perspective, so I guess it's possible to find a G-III within your friend's price range.