Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sigma / Foveon Cameras (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   I See The Sigma SD Quattro H Has Landed. (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159719)

Keith 02-06-2017 15:11

I See The Sigma SD Quattro H Has Landed.
 
That kind of sneaked in under the radar while I wasn't paying attention and I'm not seeing much fan fare about the camera anywhere. I also can't help but note that it is fifty percent dearer than it's sibling so there has to be more to it than just the larger sensor surely?

I'm still very tempted but although it's only a twelve hundred dollar (US) camera at B & H it's an eighteen hundred dollar camera here in Oz and it is available at the same outlet I bought my Merrills ... C. R. Kennedy.

I sort of made up my mind that if I allowed myself one piece of photographic gear last year or this year it was going to be this camera and the price is about what I expected. Is anyone else seriously interested in this camera or do you see it as too little too late?

jsrockit 02-07-2017 04:42

They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.

jarski 02-07-2017 05:20

Interested. The fact that it shoots DNG (old Sigma raw is still there too) is a nice bonus. AF is still slow compared to competition, interwebs know.

Samouraļ 03-22-2017 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrockit (Post 2694285)
They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.

What a useless comment. Stick to the other boards if that's all you have to say about Sigma's Foveon cameras.

I'm personally dying to hear some forum member reviews about this new SD camera. Anyone grabbing the -H? The Dp0 is still my most regularly used camera. Though I honestly believe the SD Quattro cameras are "too little, too late." The DP Quattros have been around for ages. They should have skipped the Quattro sensor and launched the next lineup of SD cameras with a new sensor tech. And I honestly can't believe that they're loaded with Micro-USB 3.0 port instead of USB Type-C.

It's not as if Sigma isn't a huge success with their third party lenses...they can probably afford to keep the Foveon dream alive and on the bleeding edge.

defconfunk 03-23-2017 06:00

I love the idea of one of these. For me the lens mount is the issue - specifically getting used Sigma SA lenses seems to be nigh impossible, and I'm cheap.

If it was me (and had the EM1 mk2 not come out, it might very well have been me - the introductory offer with the 30mm F1.4 has got to be one of the best bargains in recent camera releases), I'd get the smaller sensor, just because then I can use the APS-C Sigma lenses as well, giving me the focal ranges I'm used to.

I'd love to see some sort of comparison between the two versions, but like you said, fanfare is limited and proper reviews (by people who understand the dis/advantages of Foveon) of the APS-C model are few and far between.

Spanik 03-23-2017 06:44

Well I was kind of looking out to the new sd's but the aps-c one in 1:1:1 format isn't much pixels and for the -H you need full frame lenses. And the sigma ff lenses don't tick my boxes. So I stay with the dp's.

Ong 03-23-2017 06:55

Had a look at one whilst I was in Japan a month or so ago.
It's a hard toss up to be quite honest. The APS-C variant will have access to the majority of sigma's lens lineup since (correct me if I'm wrong) for most part Sigma's hasn't released any FF SA mount lenses.
On the other hand, the APS-H is a larger sensor and both the APS-C and APS-H are the same size externally from what I can recall...
Really a hard call this one.

Sym101 03-23-2017 08:19

I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

I'm just imagining how M lenses on foveon sensors will turn out.

Samouraļ 03-23-2017 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sym101 (Post 2709651)
I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

I'm just imagining how M lenses on foveon sensors will turn out.

https://petapixel.com/2013/04/02/sig...eica-m-lenses/

I don't know how you'd be able to get M lenses working with an SA camera. Further, I'd imagine that a telecentric exit light path would perform better due to the nature of the stacked foveon sensor design, so only longer Leica lenses might perform more appropriately. Think of the thick sensor glass on the A7 cameras and how that hindered M-lens performance. That's probably the reason that the DP0's 14mm/4 lens is so large. Though the DP1's 19mm lens is tiny, so don't quote me on this reasoning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ong (Post 2709636)
Had a look at one whilst I was in Japan a month or so ago.
It's a hard toss up to be quite honest. The APS-C variant will have access to the majority of sigma's lens lineup since (correct me if I'm wrong) for most part Sigma's hasn't released any FF SA mount lenses.
On the other hand, the APS-H is a larger sensor and both the APS-C and APS-H are the same size externally from what I can recall...
Really a hard call this one.

Sigma releases all of full-frame their lenses in an SA-mount variant. So the famous 35, 55, that new and amazing 85, the upcoming fast 135, the upcoming fast 14, whatever zooms they have on the market. Sigma has a really great full-frame SA lineup. I'd bet the 18-35/1.8 fits the APS-H sensor in the new SDQ-H, as it was pretty close to fitting full-frame sensors at most focal lengths, I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanik (Post 2709633)
Well I was kind of looking out to the new sd's but the aps-c one in 1:1:1 format isn't much pixels and for the -H you need full frame lenses. And the sigma ff lenses don't tick my boxes. So I stay with the dp's.

How about the upcoming 14mm/1.8 on the SDQ-H? Fast DP0Q replacement, how cool will that be? I can't see it performing better than the 14mm/4 that is in the DP0 right now, but I'm excited for the results. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._8_dg_hsm.html

redsky 03-23-2017 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samouraļ (Post 2709344)
What a useless comment. Stick to the other boards if that's all you have to say about Sigma's Foveon cameras.

Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...

Gregm61 03-23-2017 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsky (Post 2709672)
Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...

Sticking to Sigma-related boards means talking to yourself.... a lot, LOL...

Samouraļ 03-23-2017 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsky (Post 2709672)
Are we indulging in censorship now? I think his comment was actually valid, since dealing with Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Your fanboy comment, on the other hand, doesn't contribute to anything, so maybe you should stick to other boards...

Here's what I quoted:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrockit (Post 2694285)
They seem cool enough, but to me they are too much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'll stick to other brands.

This is a non-argument: so Sigma Foveon cameras are niche, specialty cameras that don't handle like a Canon 5D MkII. And they can be a "pain in the ass" at times, sure. I think we're all aware of that, don't you? The poster has apparently never used a Foveon camera and left an inane comment.

What do you mean when you say that this comment is valid? Break it down for me.

benlees 03-23-2017 10:33

I'm not sure Sigma Raw files are a pain the a$$ to deal with. Just use the supplied software, then export. It's one extra step. If you're using a foveon camera then you are used to working slow anyhow.:angel:

Ong 03-23-2017 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samouraļ (Post 2709669)

Sigma releases all of full-frame their lenses in an SA-mount variant. So the famous 35, 55, that new and amazing 85, the upcoming fast 135, the upcoming fast 14, whatever zooms they have on the market. Sigma has a really great full-frame SA lineup. I'd bet the 18-35/1.8 fits the APS-H sensor in the new SDQ-H, as it was pretty close to fitting full-frame sensors at most focal lengths, I believe.

Fair enough. It's often hard enough to find SA mount lenses in Australia, let alone trying to find a FF SA mount lens so it's not often you see one in the wild or available for sale. (Almost unicorn like sadly)

Keith 03-23-2017 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregm61 (Post 2709674)
Sticking to Sigma-related boards means talking to yourself.... a lot, LOL...



Lol ..... yes! :p

Keith 03-23-2017 14:23

And I have to agree with Samourai's comment about jsrockit's remark ... it's a little like jumping into a digital thread and letting everyone know that digital sucks and you'll stick to film!

It doesn't add a thing and just pisses the people off in the thread who genuinely endorse the product being discussed. :)

jarski 03-23-2017 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsky (Post 2709672)
Sigma raw *is* a hassle.

Maybe *was* is more accurate (referring to DNG).

Hope we get some user experiences here in RFF as well.

Keith 03-23-2017 16:07

I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!

shawn 03-23-2017 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2709794)
I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!

Iridient only works for Merrill and earlier RAWs though. Works well for them (and is much faster than SPP) but it doesn't support Quattro raw files other than the DNG (which is already processed).

Shawn

shawn 03-23-2017 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sym101 (Post 2709651)
I wonder if these new mirrorless Sigma interchangeable lens cameras will work well with M-mount lenses, if adapters were made for it. I'd be really interested in them if they were.

I'm just imagining how M lenses on foveon sensors will turn out.

Won't be able to. While the mirrorless Sigma is mirrorless they kept the flange distance from their SLRs so that they didn't have to create a new line of lenses. The SA mount has a flange distance of 44mm. M mount is 27.8mm. Unless the adapter allowed the lens to mount inside the camera you can't make this work without having additional optics in between.

Shawn

jarski 04-10-2017 00:27

DPreview has been testing Sigma's new DNG RAW. link.

sounds good! (except the humongous file sizes)

Benjamin Marks 04-10-2017 02:44

Girls, girls. You are both pretty. Now on with our regularly scheduled programming.

michaelwj 04-10-2017 03:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2709759)
And I have to agree with Samourai's comment about jsrockit's remark ... it's a little like jumping into a digital thread and letting everyone know that digital sucks and you'll stick to film!

It doesn't add a thing and just pisses the people off in the thread who genuinely endorse the product being discussed. :)

I hear film is the original stacked sensor, so it is obviously much better than this digital rubbish.

You're welcome. :)

(Once again I have nothing of substance to contribute)

Eric T 04-10-2017 04:14

I am very keen on the Sigma Quattro SD H. I have it in my shopping cart at two places!
I am thinking of coupling it with the 24-105 Art lens. But I just can't push the "Place this order" button.
There is just too little about this camera online. Some posts rave about how much better it is than the SD1 Merrill, others say the IQ is no better or a little worse.
Any thoughts?

fireblade 04-10-2017 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric T (Post 2714968)
I am very keen on the Sigma Quattro SD H. I have it in my shopping cart at two places!
I am thinking of coupling it with the 24-105 Art lens. But I just can't push the "Place this order" button.
There is just too little about this camera online. Some posts rave about how much better it is than the SD1 Merrill, others say the IQ is no better or a little worse.
Any thoughts?

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/s...h-review-30496

Keith 04-10-2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade (Post 2714978)


These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet! :D

Eric T 04-10-2017 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2715138)
These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet! :D

Keith - whichever one of us bites first should let the other know and share impressions. I still like the SD1 even with all of its quirks. I even like the jpgs out of the SD1.
I also like the slightly larger sensor on the Quattro SD H.

Keith 04-10-2017 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric T (Post 2715148)
Keith - whichever one of us bites first should let the other know and share impressions. I still like the SD1 even with all of its quirks. I even like the jpgs out of the SD1.
I also like the slightly larger sensor on the Quattro SD H.


Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

We are true pioneers Eric ... going where no RFFer has gone before! lol :D

jsrockit 04-10-2017 16:41

DNG RAW is a welcome surprise.

Eric T 04-10-2017 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2715161)
Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

We are true pioneers Eric ... going where no RFFer has gone before! lol :D

Keith - yes we have lenses but, as you know, our DC lenses will be cropped. Only DG lenses can take full advantage of the slightly larger sensor on the H. That is why I am thinking of getting the Sigma 24-105mm DG Art lens.
I did promise myself to not buy so much gear this year. But I am going to Yosemite National Park in California this summer so I really would like to see how the Quattro SD H does with such scenery.

And I agree with you. I too was very happy with the M8's 1.3 crop factor.

f16sunshine 04-10-2017 17:56

I've never seen a print from a Foveon Camera. :o

mjc 04-10-2017 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2709794)
I've been tempted to try Iridient's software for foveon raws ... it's strange that they only do it for mac! Currently I convert to tif in SPP then across to LR ... they never require a huge amount of work though!

Keith -- I think that its now available for Windows too. Or at least I recall some kind of batch conversion piece of software is available....

giganova 04-10-2017 18:55

Cool looking camera, with wait ... what? ... 45 Mpix!? :eek:

Keith 04-10-2017 19:16

We need a couple of pics of this thing ...








giganova 04-10-2017 19:37

Wow, is that thing really that big (with grip)? :(


fireblade 04-10-2017 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2715138)
These reviews pretty much tell us stuff that we already know if we understand Sigma's cameras. That is more positive than some I've read though.

And I'm with EricT ... I keep going back and hovering over the buy button but can't quite do it yet! :D

I believe i mentioned it sometime ago, when i get to Melbourne next, I'll probably click the buy button over the counter :D

Keith 04-10-2017 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade (Post 2715260)
I believe i mentioned it sometime ago, when i get to Melbourne next, I'll probably click the buy button over the counter :D



C.R. Kennedy are currently quoting 'low stock' on the web site ... I sent them a message today to ask what their idea of low stock actually is and are they expecting another shipment. :D

Eric T 04-12-2017 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith (Post 2715161)
Me too ... I was always OK with the crop factor of my M8 (also 1.3) and with this body I would already have quite a good range of lenses straight up because of owning the SD1m like you.

We are true pioneers Eric ... going where no RFFer has gone before! lol :D

OK Keith - I placed the order tonight. I should have the Sigma Quattro SD H in a couple of days. I didn't buy any more lenses. I already have five DG lenses. So I'll let you know how it goes and I will take some H and SD1 comparison shots.
Now if I can only learn how to post photos on RFF without having them be so big!
All the best,
Eric

Keith 04-12-2017 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric T (Post 2715641)
OK Keith - I placed the order tonight. I should have the Sigma Quattro SD H in a couple of days. I didn't buy any more lenses. I already have five DG lenses. So I'll let you know how it goes and I will take some H and SD1 comparison shots.
Now if I can only learn how to post photos on RFF without having them be so big!
All the best,
Eric


Excellent Eric ... I'll look forward to your thoughts though I have to say I'm probably not far away myself. I have a rent bond refund coming in the next few days so I suspect that will be the decider. I'll probably sell something as well because the whole digital collection is becoming a little ridiculous now! This will be my fourth Sigma and I'd quite like to sell the SD1M if this H is the goods but the reallity is it's (the SD1m) probably not really worth much used.

gnuyork 04-12-2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by f16sunshine (Post 2715202)
I've never seen a print from a Foveon Camera. :o

They are pretty special.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 15:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.