Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Leica M9 / ME (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Black or Silver? Poll (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82394)

Ming Rider 11-18-2009 04:06

Black or Silver? Poll

Well here's another poll to get the blood pressure rising. ;)

When it comes to M cameras, are you Black or Silver and any particular reason why?

aboudd 11-18-2009 04:09

This is the definitive answer ;-) ... yes.
When I was shooting with R8s - yes I know, the is an RF forum - , I had a bi-color for black and white film and a black one for color film.

Ming Rider 11-18-2009 04:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboudd (Post 1191788)
When I was shooting with R8s - yes I know, the is RF forum - , I had a bi-color for black and white film and a black one for color film.

Quite right, (in his best religous mothers voice) "We'll have no such mention of that fella in this house".:p

Personally, I think Black M's take better pictures and Silver ones are great for when you've run out of `Just For Men` (more stealthy see).:D

ray*j*gun 11-18-2009 04:25

Lol......I guess growing up the silver bodied cameras always meant expensive and professional so I still lean towards them. However I have a black M6 and M4P that I love the looks of so I guess we all have to grow up some time.

Al Kaplan 11-18-2009 04:48

Then the world went through a stage where black meant pro. Stealth is more a matter of how you handle the camera, not the camera's color. I suspect that a lot of photographers subconciously "show off" their cameras when out taking photos, the "look at me, I have a Leica" syndrome. You want to get yourself to the point where you can have several exposed rolls in your pocket after a few hours on scene and people remark "I never saw you taking any pictures tonight!"

Ming Rider 11-18-2009 05:37

It's just my opinion, so don't beat me but I always felt the silver finish kind of, dare I say, cheapened them (slightly, just a bit). Like it was trying to be something it wasn't, ie. made of silver. Rather like gold colored cars.

The original Leica silver color was, I assume, the color of the metal used (Nickel ?) or was it alloy?

Oopps, I think i've opened another can of worms.

I would easily be the first to say that I do carry the M8 with just a touch of superiority (snobbery even). Afterall, that's one reason why I bought it.

wgerrard 11-18-2009 05:39

Black. It's a taste that's reflected in most of my other little toys.

ashrafazlan 11-18-2009 08:03

RFF will lean towards black, LUF silver :D

Believe me, I searched.

ray*j*gun 11-18-2009 08:12

How one decides on fashion is always interesting and reflective of our culture and personal history. It seems that the manufactures of new gear (mostly digital) agree with black since plastic just looks better in black.

Incitatus 11-19-2009 10:06

Unless your dressed up as a ninja and your exposed skin is covered in grease - a all black camera isn't gonna be more stealth than a camera with some silver on it

eric mac 11-20-2009 17:53

Black camera= Black and white film
Chrome camera= chrome (slides) film.

Eric

lewis44 11-20-2009 18:00

Couldn't make up my mind, I guess. I've got one of each.

Bob Michaels 11-20-2009 18:03

I am in the midst of editing 27 rolls of Neopan 400 from a trip. Half were shot in a black ZI, half in a silver ZI. Lenses were swapped around.

Anybody want to speculate how much difference I can tell between the film shot in the black body and the film shot in the silver body?

Avotius 11-21-2009 02:39

if its an M9, I want that silver gray color, M5-7 black, MP silver, M2-4 silver.

Why? I spent the money on it, why the hell should I not take advantage of the color options? You going to buy a car? No color options. Like that?

Austerby 11-22-2009 09:03

I'm usually a chrome man myself but I have to say that the M8.2 in black with that black Leica logo and shiny leatherette covering looks fantastic.

Vics 11-22-2009 09:51

Black paint for the weight. The only M I have is a chrome M3.
Vic

jsrockit 11-23-2009 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Kaplan (Post 1191807)
You want to get yourself to the point where you can have several exposed rolls in your pocket after a few hours on scene and people remark "I never saw you taking any pictures tonight!"

Why? I'm not in training to be a spy. :p

Talex 11-23-2009 04:22

I would love to have a black M3-they just look stunning IMHO. I currently only have chrome M2 and M3. Thinking of sending my M3 to Robert for painting, but his prices are holding me back a bit.

Al Kaplan 11-23-2009 04:31

I like my pictures of people better if they just go about their business.

BTMarcais 11-23-2009 22:47

Honestly? I'm just happy to have a Leica. I never thought I'd be able to afford one (still not sure I can), and somehow I now have TWO and a bunch of lenses.
FWIW, the bodies are chrome, as are most of the lenses (the two ZM lenses I have are black).

It doesn't really matter though, I'd be perfectly happy with black too.
or even Tom's purple one... http://www.cameraquest.com/TAnotcoll.htm (scroll half-way down the page)

-Brian

Brian Sweeney 11-24-2009 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ming Rider (Post 1191820)
It's just my opinion, so don't beat me but I always felt the silver finish kind of, dare I say, cheapened them (slightly, just a bit). Like it was trying to be something it wasn't, ie. made of silver. Rather like gold colored cars.

The original Leica silver color was, I assume, the color of the metal used (Nickel ?) or was it alloy?

Oopps, I think i've opened another can of worms.

I would easily be the first to say that I do carry the M8 with just a touch of superiority (snobbery even). Afterall, that's one reason why I bought it.

Leica's, and many other cameras, were originally painted black as the process of producing a chrome plated body was not widely available. Once the process was economical, use of chrome was widespread as it is more durable than paint.

Black painted cameras were preferred by studio professionals as it did not reflect light that might make its way into the photograph, and war photographers preferred Black painted cameras as chrome cameras make easy targets.

jaapv 11-24-2009 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vics (Post 1194851)
Black paint for the weight. The only M I have is a chrome M3.
Vic

Huh? Chrome and black cameras weigh the same to the gramme. It is only some lenses where it makes a difference.

David_Manning 11-24-2009 05:45

How about the perversion of a black body and a chrome lens?

amoz 11-26-2009 02:53

I will always love my chrome MP, but I have a black M9 on order.

I have two lenses, a chrome 35/2 and a black 75/2 --both were bought second-hand, so I didn't really have as free a choice. I guess I will end up with a good mix of chrome and black, I don't care too much.

JPSuisse 11-26-2009 03:05

Hey guys...

Black or Silver? This is not a stupid question! People who say this a waste time don't understand how important this really is. :mad: In order to underline this, I'm using the first ever emoticon in a post. Probably the last as well...

I learned the hard way. When I had two silver cameras and told my girlfriend, bring this camera or that camera, it was always the WRONG ONE. Arguments always ensued...

Now that I sold one of the silver ones and bought a black one instead, we never have anymore arguments about her bringing the wrong camera! Very clear request, "Honey, bring the black one..." She always gets it right.

So: my answer, I prefer silver, but I have one of each.

JP

Ken Shipman 11-26-2009 10:11

Silver AND Black. Go Raiders. (please)

samoksner 11-27-2009 12:41

I started with a chrome SLR (Pentax K1000), then i had my father's Nikkormat in black, he then bought me my black, it took my about 5 minutes to break that (ripped out the film door release and tried to fix it myself... stupid teenagers), a few months later, he decided to buy me another FE for my birthday, a chrome FE, loved that camera, used it for a couple years, dropped it, broken. Eventually, I bought my own cameras, all in black. When i got my m6, black made sense, a bit more discrete i guess. I have black lenses on mine, but when i had the 21 biogon in silver, that was beautiful too.

Jarle Aasland 11-29-2009 11:11

I had decided to get a black M9 (one of these days), but then I saw a silver one in real life. Now I'm not so sure anymore.

Jarle

akk2 12-01-2009 12:32

I want Panda.

phototektour 12-02-2009 04:28

Started with a silver Praktica L, then ´til today a silver FE, two silver Rollei 35SE, one black Minox 35GT, last year a black R-D1 and right now a silver M8.2. So I think I´m more the classical type in terms of camera color. I vote for silver.

There was also a lot of stuff more in between (all these ugly black Nikon D-SLRs) but that doesn´t realy count :-)

gorbots 12-02-2009 14:38

I've been using a black M6 for the last couple of years and it's lovely and of course very discreet but having just bought a chrome M8 there is really no contest. The chrome is a much prettier camera. But with black not chrome lenses...and who are these strange people who like chrome lenses on black bodies!

Thrice: Slightly off topic here but what is that half case? I'm looking for one just now. Luigi is too expensive.

bastian a. 12-05-2009 09:37

Of course, both!

Roger Hicks 12-05-2009 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney (Post 1196033)
Leica's, and many other cameras, were originally painted black as the process of producing a chrome plated body was not widely available. Once the process was economical, use of chrome was widespread as it is more durable than paint.

Black painted cameras were preferred by studio professionals as it did not reflect light that might make its way into the photograph, and war photographers preferred Black painted cameras as chrome cameras make easy targets.

Hey, Brian! Stop introducing facts into a perfectly good argument!

(Especially when you beat me to it by a week).

Cheers,

R.

jsrockit 12-08-2009 09:26

I use a silver M8, but prefer black when it comes to Ms. The silver one was cheap used.

tightsqueez 12-09-2009 16:51

Well... I took three black M cameras to war and it wouldn't have mattered if they were PINK. Although if I had to hand select a color to paint my cameras again, a flat matte dark grey would be fitting for today's conflicts in third world countries. Anything new really stands out in those kind of situations, whether it was our uniforms, gear, etc. When things started to get used, broken in and dirty they were actually more effective. And more importantly - more comfortable. Cameras are no different.

Second thought, maybe pink would be a nice choice.

Pavel+ 12-11-2009 10:41

I noticed that the answers are in favor of black by almost two to one. That is a good reason to get the silver, if you ask me. ;)

Spotlight 12-30-2009 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tightsqueez (Post 1207709)
Well... I took three black M cameras to war and it wouldn't have mattered if they were PINK.

By the way, PINK was the camouflage colour used by SAS in Africa during II world war.

Anyway, when I decided to buy a M8 I looked for a black one but I had to take a silver one. Now I love her. But next M9 will be black in order to distinguish it from the former.

I agree with whum maintains that stealth depends on how you use the camera, more than on its colour.

darkspark 12-30-2009 22:13

Does anyone have more new pics of the steel gray M9 (in real life, with either black or silver lens)?

I'm just interested to see how it looks with people holding it (+accessories like thumbsup, etc)... Most of the shots I've seen are just promotional shots... They've made over 4000+ of these so some pictures of them must be on the net somewhere... Searching on flickr doesn't seem to reveal much at all. People with steel gray M9, show them off a little! :)

smiling gecko 02-01-2010 19:31

ok...

ok...i clicked on "black" but, i think i like my chrome om2 over my black om2...go figure. :) :D :)

breathe, relax and enjoy. pax et bonum.
happy traui;ls, kenneth