Rangefinderforum.com

Rangefinderforum.com (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Rolleiflex can bend reality (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150038)

shadowfox 07-13-2015 19:35

Rolleiflex can bend reality

So yesterday my daughter and I went to a Volkswagen car show, where about 500 Beetles, Bus, Ghias, Things, as well as Jettas, Passat, v.2 Bugs, etc. gather under the blazing Texas Summer sun. Important to note that not all of these people are from Texas, from talking to them, they came from New Mexico, Arizona, and some authentic "hippies" from California who share the love for the Peace sign and Tie-dyed shirts with my daughter.

Again I brought the 2.8D Rollei fed with Ilford Pan-F.

When faced with an impossible angle, I had no choice but to use the rarely known Rollei "magic" feature that bends the reality around the subject, so I can shoot it unobstructed.

Juvenile ... I know, but I can't resist :D

Zathros 07-13-2015 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowfox (Post 2507525)
So yesterday my daughter and I went to a Volkswagen car show, where about 500 Beetles, Bus, Ghias, Things, as well as Jettas, Passat, v.2 Bugs, etc. gather under the blazing Texas Summer sun.

Again I brought the 2.8D Rollei fed with Ilford Pan-F.

When faced with an impossible angle, I had no choice but to use the rarely known Rollei "magic" feature that bends the reality around the subject, so I can shoot it unobstructed.

Juvenile ... I know, but I can't resist :D

I like the way yer Rollei converted that bug into a truck! :D :D :D

Rob-F 07-13-2015 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathros (Post 2507526)

Yes, and I like the way the Rollei can make a tree grow out of a VW. BTW, what can it do for the price of film?

Dan Daniel 07-13-2015 19:59

Can't fool me. These were taken with an old focal plane shutter Hasselbald and you jiggled the camera in a perfect arc in the middle of the slit's travel. All you need to do is look at how distorted the front of those cars are- no one in their right mind ever made cars with such bulbous noses.

Aristophanes 07-13-2015 21:37

That's not the Rollei.

That is the Volkswagen reality distortion field.

Land Rover people have the same affliction, except they can't do anything about that spare tire right where the driver needs to see the road.

Greyscale 07-13-2015 22:47

Too bad the driver of this bug forgot to engage the distortion field.

034_9 by Mike Novak, on Flickr

shadowfox 07-14-2015 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zathros (Post 2507526)

That truck is one of the more interesting ones. When it came to the show, it sputtered and died in the middle of the path, so the owner asked for help to give it a shove while he engages the clutch to get the engine going. So myself and 2 other guys start pushing. That car is not heavy at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob-F (Post 2507527)
Yes, and I like the way the Rollei can make a tree grow out of a VW. BTW, what can it do for the price of film?

Not only that! It can also give you any color images as long as it's black and white.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Daniel (Post 2507528)
Can't fool me. These were taken with an old focal plane shutter Hasselbald and you jiggled the camera in a perfect arc in the middle of the slit's travel. All you need to do is look at how distorted the front of those cars are- no one in their right mind ever made cars with such bulbous noses.

I really like the way you think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aristophanes (Post 2507542)
That's not the Rollei.

That is the Volkswagen reality distortion field.

Land Rover people have the same affliction, except they can't do anything about that spare tire right where the driver needs to see the road.

Hmmm... I wonder if there's a Land-Rover car show around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyscale (Post 2507550)
Too bad the driver of this bug forgot to engage the distortion field.

034_9 by Mike Novak, on Flickr

It's not shot with a Rollefilex, what can I say?

robert blu 07-14-2015 04:50

Love Beetles, I had one a few decades ago...
robert

FrankS 07-14-2015 06:53

I love beetles too. Had one in high school and university days. In the summertime I worked as a house painter and with the front passenger seat removed, it was a serviceable truck for paint cans and step ladders. A bit of trivia: the back seat is large enough for romance. ;)

JPD 07-14-2015 07:09

Ah, yes. That's an old not so well known Rollei trick, using the curvature of the front element to bend trees.

At one point F&H sold a mirror accessory so you could take photos in a 90 angle. And old journalist trick is to hold the Rollei upside down and over your head, to take shots over the heads of a crowd or high fence.

shadowfox 07-14-2015 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPD (Post 2507662)
Ah, yes. That's an old not so well known Rollei trick, using the curvature of the front element to bend trees.

JPD, you almost had me there.

f16sunshine 07-14-2015 19:14

Awesome sight Will!
Thank you for posting :)

shadowfox 07-17-2015 08:53

Thanks, Andy!
Just realize you're now a moderator. Cool beans!