View Single Post

Old 03-04-2019   #32
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Contrasty prints will happen. I shot P30 with ancient uncoated lenses and developed both film and paper in low contrast developers. Grade 00 prints still looked like grade 4, even shooting in extremely flat light. Though better than some of the Washi offerings, P30 is not really suited to anything but high contrast wet prints unless one wants to shoot it at iso 6 and pull the heck out of it.
Your results and mine couldn't be farther apart. I only exposed three rolls and found usable negatives at iso50. Who shoots at iso 6??

Here are three iPhone snaps of working prints that I never did anything with. They were made with modern Zeiss contrasty glass. They all would require dodging and burning, etc but I never took the prints farther than this stage. One of them is the dreaded P30 exposed at iso 50 with normal development (I just followed Ferrania's instructions for Ilfosol 3). I printed with a #2 filter on RC warm tone from Ilford, following their instructions for using their Multigrade developer.

In my experience most folks can't tell what film was used for various prints unless it's very obvious like with a super grainy Delta3200 or whatever.